Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 145194 times)

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #455 on: October 23, 2021, 01:11:52 PM »
Are you really saying that there are no evolving song structures on the new album? That they're all following a strict vcvcbc structure? Come on...

Literally yes, more than ever.

- The Alien has three verses that are completely different from each other (yes, there's technically a verse after the last chorus).
- Sleeping Giant, again, has three verses that are different from each other, although the overall structure is relatively similar to The Alien. The second iteration of the chorus is completely different from the first and last, though I agree just going back to the first one towards the end is kind of anticlimactic.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #456 on: October 23, 2021, 01:34:34 PM »
Finally sat down and listened to the album twice. What a wild ride! Definitely their strongest release in a decade.

I’m glad to see a return to longer instrumental passages, twists and turns, transitions- as a musician there’s lots of elements in these songs to sink my teeth into, and unlike the last couple of albums, some serious repeat-listen value. Definitely a level of showmanship (or as some naysayers would call "showiness" that's been absent on the last 3 releases).

Is it up to the level of classic DT? No, not really- but it’s probably their best since Dramatic Turn of Events. The production is easily the best of the Mangini era.

Speaking of Mangini, this is the most comfortable and commanding he's sounded since starting with the band, finally bringing some dramatics to the proceedings. He's still lacking in the dynamics department but his fills seem more focused in driving the songs forward, which I felt was a strength Portnoy always brought to the band. His performance on the title track is the best his playing has ever complimented the band. I'm also happy to hear some slick hi-hat work. Petrucci's playing is godlike, but we have come to expect that in a DT album.

I hate to say it but the weakest link here is JLB. In the early days he always brought a unique element to the band. Now, due to his technical limitations- he just seems sort of there. He doesn’t detract, but he also doesn’t add anything either. Unfortunately, I think you could say the same for much of JR’s performance. The solos, instrumental sections, and his trade offs with JP are excellent here but much of his playing and layering over the verses and riffs seems perfunctory. As great of a musician as he is, I’m not convinced he knows what to do with these heavy riffs- his comfort level and strength seems to be with slow, mid-tempo stuff. This has been a criticism as far back as Train of Thought, but it seems especially true here.

Overall though, the boys turned in a strong, energetic effort- lots to love about this album.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #457 on: October 23, 2021, 01:40:14 PM »
I thought this virtual release party thing was going to a lot better than this.  Nothing against the guy doing it, he’s doing his best with what he has but I thought this would be a more slick professional thing from the label rather than a fan club thing.  Hopefully the Q&A section is worth the wait, I’ve seen the documentary so don’t need to wait around for that.

Yeah, this could be more professional than that. It's like friends meeting and and they are chatting. And Kim made me sleepy.

:lol :lol :lol

JP: "Anymore questions?"
Kim: "Umm...I had a question but I lost it, and there are so many coming in now."
JP: "Well isn't that your job?"

:lol :lol :lol :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #458 on: October 23, 2021, 01:40:25 PM »
I find it interesting the verse in Awaken the Master about "climbing the mountain", given its place in the album before the title track.

It's going to take me weeks to wrap my head round the introductory rhythm in the title track. I love it though!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 01:47:43 PM by RoeDent »

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #459 on: October 23, 2021, 01:54:09 PM »
A listener asked a question and said: Hugh Syme is a wizard and this album cover must be his best work. bla blaa...

Well, opinions vary after all.  :|
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #460 on: October 23, 2021, 02:00:55 PM »
Big thanks to Kim for asking that question about those articles and "if they're still friends." Loved those answers they gave.

A listener asked a question and said: Hugh Syme is a wizard and this album cover must be his best work. bla blaa...

Well, opinions vary after all.  :|

That person likely doesn't care about the technical parts of photoshopping, ignores it, and can see the meaning behind the image. Which is great to know about that place, and I also understand why Hugh chose to use that place. It's perfect for the title of A View From The Top...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #461 on: October 23, 2021, 02:04:03 PM »
Interesting to know that the additional images in the artwork were actually rejected album cover ideas that they included.  Not sure if they are in the standard cd or just the art book. 

Interview was fine in the end, just not the slick promo thing I was expecting with them all together in a studio somewhere being interviewed.  Thanks everyone for setting it up.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #462 on: October 23, 2021, 02:05:31 PM »
Big thanks to Kim for asking that question about those articles and "if they're still friends." Loved those answers they gave.

Ahh I guess I missed that question.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #463 on: October 23, 2021, 02:23:44 PM »
That's hilarious....Watching the documentary and when JP likes what the guys did he pushes a button that says...."Wow"

Offline nick_z

« Reply #464 on: October 23, 2021, 02:44:51 PM »
Yeah...the documentary just finished...it was pretty fun to watch  :)

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #465 on: October 23, 2021, 02:47:45 PM »
I just want to say Thanks to Kim for doing this. The interviews were great, I enjoyed Jimmy T and Andy Sneap talking about the recording and mixing processes, very informational.

The documentary is awesome as well. You could feel that excitement and energy of the band. "Medic...Medic...MY Turn." :lol

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #466 on: October 23, 2021, 02:58:43 PM »
Just finished listening for the first time.
Wow. Right now Sleeping Giant, Awaken the Master, and the title track all stand out the most to me, but I love it all so much.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: October 23, 2021, 03:10:00 PM »
Watching the Documentary now :)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #468 on: October 23, 2021, 03:30:44 PM »
I gave the album two listens yesterday – the first, via streaming, and the second once I got my CD in the mail later in the day. I wanted that to be 100% focused, with the booklet in front of me, like good old times (Prior to this I had only heard The Alien and Invisible Monster, like I assume most people did - I tried not to burn out on them too much, though)

I don't have a ton to say yet, but the first impression is this is a very good album. I’ve enjoyed it throughout its runtime, and I’m looking forward to many more listens. I would agree that there’s a good amount of heaviness in it, but certainly not in a one-dimensional kind of way. And it is a little more riff-y than the recent past. None of the stuff is groundbreakingly different from what DT has done before (I believe JP said it himself in the live Q&A), but that's of course not surprising at this point in their career.

In addition to the songs I was already familiar with (which I both like, including Invisible Monster), I have to say an early "sleeper" hit is Answering the Call. I found it to have some of the best melodies (again, based on early impressions) in the album. It's more of a straightforward song, I guess, but it's so well put together and with great vocal lines too. As the first "fresh" song listening to the album, it really tickled me. So much so that I was maybe hoping for some more memorable melodies in the rest of the songs. Everything is on a consistently good level, and there are more than a few "wow" moments instrumentally - I was just hoping for some more wow moments melodically too.

Overall, though, I'm happy. Also - not that I know much about these things -  I'd agree with the general sentiment that this is one of the best sounding albums in DT's discography.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #469 on: October 23, 2021, 04:05:22 PM »
I enjoyed all of this quite a bit - the quiz, the Q&A, the documentary. Thanks for a great evening, Noxon.  :tup

Offline LKap13

« Reply #470 on: October 23, 2021, 04:10:54 PM »
I'll say this, I think Labrie and rudess are the MVP's of this album

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #471 on: October 23, 2021, 04:20:20 PM »
I'll say this, I think Labrie and rudess are the MVP's of this album
as are Mike and JM, but IMHO *everyone is* on this album. This is the first time I've said so ever since Dramatic Turn and DT12. (that's how great the album is to me, it's part of my eternal three with Dramatic Turn and DT12)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: October 23, 2021, 04:21:39 PM »
I'm a sucker for arabian scales and there's a few of them on this album.

I love the Danny Elfman - ish vocal melodies on Sleeping Giant.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #473 on: October 23, 2021, 04:23:50 PM »
I enjoyed the livestream and documentary a lot. I kinda liked how it wasn’t some slick production by the record label. It felt a lot more natural and down to earth.

It’s clear from the documentary how much fun the guys had while writing and recording. Great to see.

A good LOL moment was when Andy Sneap described the 8 string as “a pig searching for truffles”.  :lol. I really think between Jimmy T and himself, it’s a winning combo. The album sounds fantastic.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #474 on: October 23, 2021, 04:23:59 PM »
I agree with you on both counts.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: October 23, 2021, 04:25:15 PM »
Also since that 8 string riff has Jordan's Snarling Pig on it.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #476 on: October 23, 2021, 04:35:34 PM »
I’ll give it a few more listens tomorrow. There’s so much to digest, but I think the whole album is very strong and consistent. Like others, I find it really takes a while to fully appreciate any new DT. Lots of little parts and sections start to light up with repeated listens.

I will say though, that what I call the “James Bond” section in the title track is really cool. I couldn’t help but smile the first time I heard that.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #477 on: October 23, 2021, 04:39:39 PM »
Listened to the album at the gym earlier and Awaken the Master is my favorite-- yesterday it was TT :lol

ATM opening riff reminded me a of Bridges in the Sky but that's where the comparison ends. Such a great powerful song. The rhythms sound huge and the band sounds one giant locked in machine- for example that 8 string part that begins at 2:30 sounds thunderous on the low string and with MM and JM supporting.

I was also experimenting with song order and I think the title track actually makes a great album and show opener. It's less traditional/safe to have the mega epic at the beginning but the 'intro' to that sound makes you feel like you are about to embark on a great adventure or battle. I almost imagined the band playing a small animation like they did for ADTOE or DT12 (i forget which), with the lights going on as soon as the guitar kicks into full gear. Thus far, I think the convention has been to have the mega epic at the end of the show or before intermission but View doesn't really end with a bang like IT for example.

I think this would have been a cool alternate track order:

1. View from the Top
2. Transcending Time
3. Alien
4. Sleeping Giant
5. Invisible Monster
6. Answering the Call
7. Awaken the Master (Alien would also be a good album or live closer as these two songs both start and end with a bang)

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #478 on: October 23, 2021, 04:42:38 PM »
People who say "why are they calling themselves progressive? they're not innovating anymore!" are completely missing the point of the genre. It's not the band or their direction that's supposed to evolve over time. It's the song structure that's supposed to evolve. Are you really saying that there are no evolving song structures on the new album? That they're all following a strict vcvcbc structure? Come on...

To expect that a band will massively change after 15 studio albums and over 35 years active as a band is just plain fantasy. They have a career to maintain, one that is built on a foundation and a history. And even then, they're still doing something different every time. This album sounds nothing like the ones that came before. While retaining that DT signature... Only way you'd get rid of the current DT signature is by getting rid of JP or JR :P

I just think some fans are in denial that they just don't like them anymore, which is fine, but expecting them to write music to satisfy every single fan is insane. There are a shit ton of other kick ass prog bands to check out if you need something different but DT is doing an amazing job keeping relevant and releasing quality music after all these years!!!

This is such a ridiculous comment.   I loved DOT but I’m struggling with the new one. That means I don’t like them anymore? 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 04:57:27 PM by lovethedrake »

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #479 on: October 23, 2021, 04:53:59 PM »
That's hilarious....Watching the documentary and when JP likes what the guys did he pushes a button that says...."Wow"
Ya ,  I caught that. First he does a couple other buttons with funny pre-made answers, then just non-chalantly shows the Wow button. I laughed out loud!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #480 on: October 23, 2021, 04:57:14 PM »
People who say "why are they calling themselves progressive? they're not innovating anymore!" are completely missing the point of the genre. It's not the band or their direction that's supposed to evolve over time. It's the song structure that's supposed to evolve. Are you really saying that there are no evolving song structures on the new album? That they're all following a strict vcvcbc structure? Come on...

To expect that a band will massively change after 15 studio albums and over 35 years active as a band is just plain fantasy. They have a career to maintain, one that is built on a foundation and a history. And even then, they're still doing something different every time. This album sounds nothing like the ones that came before. While retaining that DT signature... Only way you'd get rid of the current DT signature is by getting rid of JP or JR :P

I just think some fans are in denial that they just don't like them anymore, which is fine, but expecting them to write music to satisfy every single fan is insane. There are a shit ton of other kick ass prog bands to check out if you need something different but DT is doing an amazing job keeping relevant and releasing quality music after all these years!!!

This is such a ridiculous comment.   I loved DOT but I’m a struggling with the new one. That means I don’t like them anymore?

To be clear I mean some fans may just be bored of them, it happens man. It wasn't a shot at anyone.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #481 on: October 23, 2021, 05:14:27 PM »
I really loved the documentary. Great footage.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #482 on: October 23, 2021, 05:15:55 PM »

This is such a ridiculous comment.   I loved DOT but I’m a struggling with the new one. That means I don’t like them anymore?

To be clear I mean some fans may just be bored of them, it happens man. It wasn't a shot at anyone.

When I go back and listen to I&W, change of seasons, falling into infinity etc…. I gush over how incredible it is.  I’m definitely not bored with them…   

With that said, the album continues to grow on me,  hopefully it keeps on growing.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #483 on: October 23, 2021, 05:25:40 PM »
I enjoyed the livestream and documentary a lot. I kinda liked how it wasn’t some slick production by the record label. It felt a lot more natural and down to earth.

It’s clear from the documentary how much fun the guys had while writing and recording. Great to see.

A good LOL moment was when Andy Sneap described the 8 string as “a pig searching for truffles”.  :lol. I really think between Jimmy T and himself, it’s a winning combo. The album sounds fantastic.

Andy even had to thank Jimmy T for making his job a bit more simpler.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #484 on: October 23, 2021, 05:56:27 PM »
Best moment from the documentary.

JP: “This song also has killer bass tone. I believe it’s the neural plugin. It’s like this amazing bass sound.”
Producer, off camera: “John do you wanna elaborate on that a little bit?”
JMX: “…no…”
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Glasser

« Reply #485 on: October 23, 2021, 06:10:51 PM »

When I go back and listen to I&W, change of seasons, falling into infinity etc…. I gush over how incredible it is.  I’m definitely not bored with them…   

With that said, the album continues to grow on me,  hopefully it keeps on growing.

Yes, the album is a grower for sure! Yeah I get you man, but I know some fans who still enjoy older DT albums but just don’t connect with them anymore being their own tastes changed. Happy listening my friend!!! ✊ :)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #486 on: October 23, 2021, 06:15:11 PM »
Best moment from the documentary.

JP: “This song also has killer bass tone. I believe it’s the neural plugin. It’s like this amazing bass sound.”
Producer, off camera: “John do you wanna elaborate on that a little bit?”
JMX: “…no…”

I'm sure Myung made a joke on purpose that time! :omg: :D
Thanks a lot, Noxon and DT for all the event and the opportunity to see the BD documentary! It was really something!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #487 on: October 23, 2021, 06:26:06 PM »
After 2 days I'm still happy with the album. Definitely grower. I thought I would skip the Alien but it flows nicely when you listen the album from start to finish. Wow, 30 years and more and these guys still rock.

My rank now (May change in time)

Transcending Time
Sleeping Giant
View
Anwering The Call
Awaken The Master
The Alien
Invisible Monster

Mangini Era Rank

View
TA
ADTOE
DoT
DT12

Rank Overall (May change time to time)

Awake
I&W
SDOIT
SFAM
View
Octavarium
TA
ToT
ADTOE
FII
DOT
SC
WDADU
DT12
BC&SL
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #488 on: October 23, 2021, 06:40:27 PM »
I was playing this album while studying yesterday and I found myself singing along to all the songs. My son sings along to Transcending Time just to spite me. :lol

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #489 on: October 23, 2021, 07:02:06 PM »
After 2 days I'm still happy with the album. Definitely grower. I thought I would skip the Alien but it flows nicely when you listen the album from start to finish. Wow, 30 years and more and these guys still rock.

My rank now (May change in time)

Transcending Time
Sleeping Giant
View
Anwering The Call
Awaken The Master
The Alien
Invisible Monster

Mangini Era Rank

View
TA
ADTOE
DoT
DT12

Rank Overall (May change time to time)

Awake
I&W
SDOIT
SFAM
View
Octavarium
TA
ToT
ADTOE
FII
DOT
SC
WDADU
DT12
BC&SL

I'll give this a shot.

Album ranking:

1. View (9.5/10)
2. Answering The Call (9/10)
3. Awaken The Master (9/10)
4. Sleeping Giant (9/10)
5. The Alien (8.5/10)
6. Transcending Time (8.5/10)
7. Invisible Monster (8/10)

Mangini era (subject to change, new album still very fresh):

1. View (9/10)
2. ADTOE (8.5/10)
3. TA (8.5/10)
4. DT12 (8/10)
5. DoT (6/10)

Overall rank:

No point numbering them because the order can be different on any given day, so I put them into tiers:

Top tier (brilliant):

Awake
Scenes
Six Degrees
Train of Thought
Octavarium
View

2nd tier (very good):

ADTOE
DT12
TA

3rd tier (good but I rarely revisit):