Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 142048 times)

Offline genome

Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2021, 01:45:17 PM »
Sleeping Giant is absolutely inspired

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2021, 01:57:19 PM »
Possibly the worst album they've released, compositionally.

Very good sounding record.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2021, 02:01:06 PM »
Possibly the worst album they've released, compositionally.

Very good sounding record.

Care to elaborate why it’s the worst? I haven’t heard it yet but the comments and reviews are overwhelmingly positive (except for one Spanish language review that made no sense anyway).

Offline Glasser

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2021, 02:05:55 PM »
First impressions are just that.  It will take time before the real magnitude of this album hits. Its only fair to wait at least a few weeks before most of what people think can be valid here. Happy listening to you all and a HUGE congrats to Dream Theater on yet another masterpiece!!! DT and all of their fans rule!!!    :metal :tup

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2021, 02:07:32 PM »
There's no magic.

Everything is a repeat of what they've already done, nothing popped out as *wow this is new ground, they've never done that before*

Obv 8 string is new, but it is used in same manner as a 7 string.

Superbly disappointed, but happy for everyone enjoying it.

Edit: missed the quote in reply to TheBarstoolWarrior

Offline Glasser

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2021, 02:09:39 PM »
There's no magic.

Everything is a repeat of what they've already done, nothing popped out as *wow this is new ground, they've never done that before*

Wow! Give it time to sink in before writing it off so quickly.  :-[

Offline genome

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2021, 02:10:18 PM »
It's quite a dense album. I'm a bit puzzled as to some of the reviews saying it's "safe", it's definitely not. It's actually quite chaotic in a sense.

It's extremely Dream Theater though. Maybe that's what they are getting at. It's like someone took the "Dream Theater" dial and broke it off.

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2021, 02:16:19 PM »
There's no magic.

I've been listening to it for a week and a half. :(

Offline Glasser

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2021, 02:17:49 PM »
There's no magic.

Stick with it  :)

Offline faizoff

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2021, 02:19:12 PM »
Sonically, the mix has a nice spatial placement of instruments that I'm fond of. The CD on FLAC sounds pretty good. I did hear some snippets of the Bluray stereo mix

The bass playing and tone is so sexy, esp in Answering the call.
Mike Mangini is phenomenal.
The guitar tone is really crisp. I think the mix is really amazing so far from what I can tell. I play it on my PC with a FiiO K5 Pro DAC/AMP powering my HD 6xx using JRiver media player. Shit sounds great. I couldn't tell of any obvious brickwalling, will have to listen more closely.

Songs have some serious hooks at places. I feel like it's a mix of their previous albums, I can hear some stuff that would have been on 8V, SC and some ADTOE.
In some ways it sounds like a logical progression of D/T. I like it, I think some of the vocal melodies are iffy on the title track but it ends really well.

Should be fun digging in to the documentary. I like some of the visuals used on the tracks on the bluray.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2021, 02:22:55 PM »
There's no magic.

I haven't heard it yet but how long does one stick with it before being able to write it off?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2021, 02:26:55 PM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2021, 02:29:08 PM »
Hoping my CD arrives tomorrow but I see that the individual songs are preloaded on (official) YT but not turned on yet. So, in the event the CD doesn't arrive, I can still listen tomorrow legally.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 02:34:32 PM by emtee »

Offline emtee

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2021, 02:31:23 PM »
There's no magic.

I haven't heard it yet but how long does one stick with it before being able to write it off?

I gave Senjitsu about 8 spins before accepting that it wasn't going to connect.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2021, 02:34:14 PM »
half an hour to listen... hype is real.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2021, 02:37:35 PM »

Good question and I'd say the answer is different from anyone.  If someone is going to write an review of the album and not mention it's based off a first listen, I assume they've put the time needed for them to form such an opinion.

For me, prog albums usually take a few listens, but that doesn't mean they also can't connect on the first but it's unlikely.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2021, 02:44:16 PM »
Right, it's different for everyone. It took me months to connect with the 3rd Flying Colors album. I loved the first two but just couldn't get into #3. Then many months later one day it clicked. I like a lot of this album, and seeing how pleasing it is sonically I'm sure I'll be spinning it quite often.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Glasser

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2021, 02:49:04 PM »
There's no magic.

That depends on you. But as a fan of DT or any bands music that has many layers to it, let it sink in, or not. If you want an album that hits quickly put on any ACDC album.  ;)

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2021, 03:04:11 PM »
What would you say is Andy Sneap's contribution? Did he impact the sound of the individual instruments? Or, did he do more for the overall sound of the band?

He's worked with so many bands, but not too many I listen to. Is there something about his work that made you say, "Oh yea, that's classic Sneap!" while listening?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2021, 03:05:48 PM »
Besides, if you have listened to it enough times that you think you can make an opinion of it, and your statement is "nothing new here", you have not been listening AT ALL. Cause that statement could not be further from the truth. They've done so much new stuff that they've never done before multiple times on the album with regards to song compositions, structure, chord and rhythm changes, that it feels incredibly fresh and interesting in a new way from them - which, in my eyes, makes this the most exciting album since the mid 2000s.

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2021, 03:12:22 PM »
Besides, if you have listened to it enough times that you think you can make an opinion of it, and your statement is "nothing new here", you have not been listening AT ALL. Cause that statement could not be further from the truth. They've done so much new stuff that they've never done before multiple times on the album with regards to song compositions, structure, chord and rhythm changes, that it feels incredibly fresh and interesting in a new way from them - which, in my eyes, makes this the most exciting album since the mid 2000s.

Okay, name a few specific timestamps. And why the examples are new and fresh.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2021, 03:14:24 PM »
Ok, I'm starting. First of all, all my early reviews now based on first listening. I like to share what I feel at one spin. Don't write anything about the Alien and IM now.

Answering The Call.

Almost better than every song on DOT (but not At Wit's End). Great intro, great lyrics and great vocals. Especially the chrous has its hook. Reminds a bit SDOIT/ToT era. I don't know how to describe it. It's a heavy song but it has its soft side. Instant favourite on the first listen.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2021, 03:16:48 PM »

Okay, name a few specific timestamps. And why the examples are new and fresh.

For me, I would say in particular, the section that starts at :01 of The Alien and ends at 20:24 of AVFTTOTW. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2021, 03:17:19 PM »
Ok, I'm starting. First of all, all my early reviews now based on first listening. I like to share what I feel at one spin. Don't write anything about the Alien and IM now.

Answering The Call.

Almost better than every song on DOT (but not At Wit's End). Great intro, great lyrics and great vocals. Especially the chrous has its hook. Reminds a bit SDOIT/ToT era. I don't know how to describe it. It's a heavy song but it has its soft side. Instant favourite on the first listen.

bolded.  this.. is what I love about much of DT

6 hours, 45 mins to go.....

Offline Glasser

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2021, 03:20:54 PM »

Exactly! I think a lot of fans listen differently. Is there a correct way? I think so 100%. Stop comparing it to previous albums, listen closely and with a positive ear. Don't over think everything, let it flow and just let it in. Relax and Give it time and try to appreciate and connect to it. Don't we all want to like it? I certainly give my favorite band, DT, a deep and thorough listen and that takes a certain amount of time. Namaste.  :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2021, 03:27:09 PM »
I have not heard a crotchet of new music apart from the two singles and I will listen right through in almost exactly 90 mins.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2021, 03:28:06 PM »
2- Sleeping Giant

Wow. Mark my word. This song will be concert hit. Amazing chrous and I'm sure everyone in the concert will sing "Shadow disappear..." part along with. Amazing intro, clean vocals. And the most important part for me, since Rudess joined the band I find his work a bit overplayed like he just wants to show his technical side. Especially with Systematic Chaos to this day. But for this song he has absolutely tasteful keyboard work since SDOIT. Atmospheric and progressive. Again, an instant fav.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2021, 03:32:03 PM »
???  Are you not going in order?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2021, 03:32:28 PM »

He is skipping The Alien and Invisible Monster.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2021, 03:32:47 PM »

Good question and I'd say the answer is different from anyone.  If someone is going to write an review of the album and not mention it's based off a first listen, I assume they've put the time needed for them to form such an opinion.

For me, prog albums usually take a few listens, but that doesn't mean they also can't connect on the first but it's unlikely.

I agree that at least a few listens (especially with a prog album) is the least time should be given. That being said, this album hit me and I connected with it RIGHT AWAY (outside of the alien & Monster, which I listened to endlessly before the album). It's NOT a perfect album and really sounds no different to anything they've done in the last ten years, but it's just BETTER!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2021, 03:34:05 PM »

Right.  I missed his earlier post on Answering the Call.  My mistake.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2021, 03:34:37 PM »

Breaking the flow.  ??? :facepalm:

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2021, 03:35:47 PM »
Uhm no. I'm not including the Alien and IM since we all knew. But after more spin I want to review the album in its entirety. Maybe a week later.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2021, 03:35:51 PM »

Breaking the Flow. Breaking the Flow.  :metal :metal

Offline Glasser

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2021, 03:37:28 PM »

Breaking the Flow. Breaking the Flow.  :metal :metal

Yes, the hidden bonus track. I see you dig it.  :rollin