Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 142823 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #2170 on: April 28, 2022, 01:05:25 PM »
I can follow one is not into Dream Theater at all, because it is not a regular taste. But I find it hard to imagine that someone was considered a fan back in the days, but that the ‘new’ Dream Theater is not their cup of tea anymore. Of course a taste can change, but Dream Theater is - to me - 15 albums in, still without a doubt familair to their first albums.

Although they seem to evoke such a wide spectrum, they somehow stay the same. A View has Awake painted all over it.

We all hear things differently. I can appreciate and even like certain parts of new DT, but I can't really get into it. Like Stads, I can't put my finger on EXACTLY what is different, and even if I could, the terms would be broad enough that someone would point out how they're all really the same anyway. Awake and View both have chug, and dark keyboard stuff, but that doesn't make them sound similar at all in my ears. I also don't want DT to sound like old DT. I want them to do their thing. I am glad they're doing their thing. It's just that their thing for last few albums hasn't been for me.
I know what you and Stadler are saying, about something being different, that is hard to put a finger on exactly just what that is.  But I would point out I was kind of feeling the same way with SC and BC&SL.  So I don't think we can say this is simply the absence of Portnoy.  Again, can't quite put my finger on what it is.

I think it depends what it is you're listening for. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2171 on: April 28, 2022, 01:12:25 PM »
I never said the only difference I'm hearing is the absence of Portnoy. Obviously the loss of a contributor is going to impact the sound, but JP's writing, in general, has veered into a direction I don't connect to. I think that's the biggest change for me so far, just JP's sense of song writing. It's just not for me (for the most part). But it's cool. I can just listen to what I like and not listen to the rest, no biggie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 425

« Reply #2172 on: April 28, 2022, 01:42:52 PM »
It seems like unnecessary repetition has dropped off significantly since his departure.

I'm not sure what you mean by "unnecessary repetition" but if you're suggesting that their compositions are more streamlined then I agree.

I think one person's "unnecessary repetition" is another person's "interesting use of recurring motifs," and I would say that difference is one change that I've noticed that is not to my preference.

I just don't feel like music, especially progressive music, always ought to be about "get in, get out as quickly as possible; reduce the structure down to the absolute minimum it 'needs' to be" (which may be a caricature of the "streamlined composition" view, but I don't know quite how else to say it). I mean, this, in a sense, is basically the thing I was saying before I'm not crazy about. To give a possibly caricatured description again, it felt like they spent a few albums cutting things down as much as possible to get almost every song in under 7 minutes, whereas I like the more sprawling pieces that go, 9, 10, 12, 14 minutes. Which is why I was so glad to get Sleeping Giant, the first song that really felt like that since Breaking All Illusions.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2173 on: April 28, 2022, 01:46:27 PM »
It seems like unnecessary repetition has dropped off significantly since his departure.

I'm not sure what you mean by "unnecessary repetition" but if you're suggesting that their compositions are more streamlined then I agree.

I think one person's "unnecessary repetition" is another person's "interesting use of recurring motifs," and I would say that difference is one change that I've noticed that is not to my preference.

I just don't feel like music, especially progressive music, always ought to be about "get in, get out as quickly as possible; reduce the structure down to the absolute minimum it 'needs' to be" (which may be a caricature of the "streamlined composition" view, but I don't know quite how else to say it). I mean, this, in a sense, is basically the thing I was saying before I'm not crazy about. To give a possibly caricatured description again, it felt like they spent a few albums cutting things down as much as possible to get almost every song in under 7 minutes, whereas I like the more sprawling pieces that go, 9, 10, 12, 14 minutes. Which is why I was so glad to get Sleeping Giant, the first song that really felt like that since Breaking All Illusions.

I'm with you, in general, but when a song has three minutes of solo tradeoffs over the same two riffs (like "A Rite of Passage"), that's when a little trimming can really help the replay value IMO.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2174 on: April 28, 2022, 03:36:52 PM »
I had some time this weekend with no obligations so I listened to music

I got courageous and pulled TA  off the shelf. I decided to give it yet another try. Probably the 12th time I've done so. The album simply doesn't work for me on any level.

Then I played DoT and the new one and I never got bored and thoroughly enjoyed both.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2175 on: April 28, 2022, 05:45:31 PM »
I had some time this weekend with no obligations so I listened to music

I got courageous and pulled TA  off the shelf. I decided to give it yet another try. Probably the 12th time I've done so. The album simply doesn't work for me on any level.

Then I played DoT and the new one and I never got bored and thoroughly enjoyed both.

This is me pretty much any time I try to get through The Astonishing. I'd rather be listening to any two of the other Mangini-Era albums in the same amount of time. It's like DT wanted to do an Ayreon album but without all of the individual vocalists. I'm not sure if having a cast of singers would've made TA any better or worse, but it would've made it difficult for them to perform the whole album live, which I suppose was the point of having James sing all of the characters' parts. Makes me wish they had done something like TA while Portnoy was in the band because, despite his sometimes-questionable vocal stylings, he still added some flavor and variation to the lyrical part of DT. Having JLB, MP, and JP do different vocal parts on something TA would've been a bit more interesting IMO.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2176 on: April 28, 2022, 06:45:22 PM »
Something is definitely different in the songwriting because a major contributor is gone, but I don't think the arrangements are suffering in the slightest. My opinion is that the songwriting is better than *almost* ever, but I get the feeling that something is missing. MP was in the band for so long that the output is just inevitably going to change without him.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2177 on: May 05, 2022, 08:15:42 AM »
Anyone else figured if/how the rhythm in the second section of the intro to the title track relates to the main rhythm we hear at the opening. I feel like it could be emphasising the negative space between the notes in the first rhythm. Both are in 23/16

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2178 on: May 08, 2022, 04:26:55 AM »
Seeing the title track live made me appreciate it even more! it was a slow burner of a song, with each listening it became more and more enjoyable. The live performance enhances the experience even more, and it was a great point of the show!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2179 on: May 08, 2022, 07:01:19 AM »
Something is definitely different in the songwriting because a major contributor is gone, but I don't think the arrangements are suffering in the slightest. My opinion is that the songwriting is better than *almost* ever, but I get the feeling that something is missing. MP was in the band for so long that the output is just inevitably going to change without him.

Songwise, I really can't find any differences. To me, the only difference is in the drumming and how it gives each section a different feel.

Seeing the title track live made me appreciate it even more! it was a slow burner of a song, with each listening it became more and more enjoyable. The live performance enhances the experience even more, and it was a great point of the show!

The live version was great, but I loved the song anyway. And while the abrupt last vocal line and transition to the outro is a bit abrupt on the studio version, Live, it was barely noticeable. And that outro was so powerful to experience live.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2180 on: May 09, 2022, 05:27:21 AM »
Completely agree on the ending!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2181 on: May 10, 2022, 05:03:41 PM »

Songwise, I really can't find any differences. To me, the only difference is in the drumming and how it gives each section a different feel.

The live version was great, but I loved the song anyway. And while the abrupt last vocal line and transition to the outro is a bit abrupt on the studio version, Live, it was barely noticeable. And that outro was so powerful to experience live.

For one, I think there is less bloat in the songs. I realize View has some longer tunes, but I guess I didn't 'feel' that as much compared to some songs in the last couple MP albums.

Online Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2182 on: May 11, 2022, 11:18:53 AM »
Two days between me and my favorite band. They'll be in Amsterdam this Friday, really can't wait. They play at least three songs I am looking so much forward to, next to the titletrack of course, The Count as well as Ministry of Lost Souls. What a setlist.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 10:44:08 AM by Wim Kruithof »
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2183 on: May 11, 2022, 05:19:14 PM »
Two days between me and my favorite band. They'll be in Amsterdam this Friday, really can't wait. They play at least three song I am looking so much forward to, next to the titletrack of course, The Count as well as Ministry of Lost Souls. What a setlist.

And it's even better live!!
Have a great time!! :metal

Online Wim Kruithof

« Reply #2184 on: May 14, 2022, 10:49:24 AM »
geeeemo, not a mis-spoken word, what a evening this was. Although the mic was not that good in the mix and LaBrie sometimes faded away, their performance was astonishing. This tracklist has so many highs, but The Ministry of Lost Souls was without a doubt the most valuable piece of the evening. I was really looking forward to this one and it overwhelmed me. They performed it flawless and it was sheer perfection. The title-track, The Count, A Brigde, it was all exceptional,

but The Ministry of Lost Souls made the hair raise on my arms the whole piece. So glad to be there, thankful they still can be this good.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2185 on: May 14, 2022, 12:23:49 PM »
geeeemo, not a mis-spoken word, what a evening this was. Although the mic was not that good in the mix and LaBrie sometimes faded away, their performance was astonishing. This tracklist has so many highs, but The Ministry of Lost Souls was without a doubt the most valuable piece of the evening. I was really looking forward to this one and it overwhelmed me. They performed it flawless and it was sheer perfection. The title-track, The Count, A Brigde, it was all exceptional,

but The Ministry of Lost Souls made the hair raise on my arms the whole piece. So glad to be there, thankful they still can be this good.

You should've seen me at their first show of the tour. I was all giddy when they started About to Crash and I was wondering what they might transition into since ATC has that at the end, and when they went into TMOLS I about lost it and had a tear down my cheek. I never expected TMOLS and loved every minute of it.

It hit harder for me too as my brothers sister-in-law passed away recently before the show and those lyrics hit my emotional strings.

Loved every second of that half if the set.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Wim Kruithof

« Reply #2186 on: May 14, 2022, 02:30:33 PM »
I can follow that Ben Jamin, too bad you lost loved ones yourself. This song just really got a hold on me, even without the lost of a beloved one. Systematic Chaos gets a lot of bashing, but this song on its own would be worth to spend my money on. One of their very best, especially after this show.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2187 on: May 14, 2022, 02:45:39 PM »
I can follow that Ben Jamin, too bad you lost loved ones yourself. This song just really got a hold on me, even without the lost of a beloved one. Systematic Chaos gets a lot of bashing, but this song on its own would be worth to spend my money on. One of their very best, especially after this show.

I enjoyed it a lot when it was released. That just enhanced it a lot more for me at that show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2188 on: May 18, 2022, 12:03:20 PM »
What are the chances of another live dvd from this tour? I wouldn’t mind seeing that setlist on a dvd…

Offline LKap13

« Reply #2189 on: May 18, 2022, 05:20:26 PM »
Months later this album is still a masterpiece for me. #1 in their discography...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2190 on: May 18, 2022, 05:22:53 PM »
Months later this album is still a masterpiece for me. #1 in their discography...

I won't go as far as #1, but it is a masterpiece.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2191 on: May 18, 2022, 05:43:37 PM »
I liked the gig in Amsterdam, which was probably my tenth time ever since seeing them on the Train of Thought tour for the first time.

I’ll still go next time, band is still playing well. JLB’s vocal chords are not as elastic as 15 years ago which is perfectly understandable. Glad the dude is still on board, DT wouldn’t really be DT without him. Of the MM era I thought DoT was really good. Still not really feeling the latest one, but I must say the performance of the title track was easily a highlight. You could tell that’s where their heads are at now. Will definitely spin that one some more.

Devin Townsend was absolutely killing it though.. Through the years I’ve really become a fan and his set was great. Deadhead is such a masterpiece.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline LKap13

« Reply #2192 on: May 19, 2022, 02:09:04 PM »

I won't go as far as #1, but it is a masterpiece.

Yep. At the gig I went to I went to the front after the show and tried to shout at them "The new album is a masterpiece!" truly hoping they'd hear it. I mean, how are they supposed to know?

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2193 on: May 19, 2022, 05:34:32 PM »
As DT is my fave band, so I try to keep some perspective. I still think that DT's masterpieces are: I&W, Awake, Metropolis pt.2 and 6 Degrees, but I truly think that Octavarium, Train of Thought and now AVFTTOTW are close to them.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline sylentman

« Reply #2194 on: May 20, 2022, 09:16:03 PM »

Still hear it multiple times per week, never feel like skipping a single song. Top 5 for me right now, probably #4 :).

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2195 on: May 21, 2022, 09:06:52 AM »

Still hear it multiple times per week, never feel like skipping a single song. Top 5 for me right now, probably #4 :).

So which album got the boot to number five: Awake or Six Degrees?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline sylentman

« Reply #2196 on: May 21, 2022, 10:19:18 PM »

Six Degrees.
Awake has a sentimental value as it’s the one i heard first. I had heard some friends at school talk about the band…and without having listened to a single note of DT i decided to buy the cd (cannot remember if i even had to ask my parents for some money haha).
Still remember that first listen, the combination of the heaviness, the melodies, the vocals, the keyboard in such heavy music, it blew my mind and i was in love with the band and the genre immediately.
Awake sits at #2, IAW sits at #1, you know the missing one for the top 3 :).

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2197 on: July 11, 2022, 11:38:13 PM »
This was pretty cool, a father and son went to see the Rock that has a View from the top of the world.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dreamtheaterworld/permalink/1264455164087553/?app=fbl
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2198 on: July 12, 2022, 07:21:58 AM »
Damn that's awesome!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2199 on: July 12, 2022, 08:05:36 AM »

Six Degrees.
Awake has a sentimental value as it’s the one i heard first. I had heard some friends at school talk about the band…and without having listened to a single note of DT i decided to buy the cd (cannot remember if i even had to ask my parents for some money haha).
Still remember that first listen, the combination of the heaviness, the melodies, the vocals, the keyboard in such heavy music, it blew my mind and i was in love with the band and the genre immediately.
Awake sits at #2, IAW sits at #1, you know the missing one for the top 3 :).

The Astonishing
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #2200 on: July 14, 2022, 11:10:30 AM »

My wife is going away for the weekend, which means I get to blast my AVFTTOTW vinyl for the first time soon.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 11:15:35 AM by EPIC Outro »

Online Wim Kruithof

« Reply #2201 on: July 14, 2022, 01:14:41 PM »
This was pretty cool, a father and son went to see the Rock that has a View from the top of the world.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dreamtheaterworld/permalink/1264455164087553/?app=fbl

Awesome! Would love to be there one day...

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2202 on: July 25, 2022, 01:33:12 PM »
I just want to mention that I have gone back and forth with this album. I put it away for a few months and have come back.  I can tell they worked really hard at writing each song to have a little extra. Nothing that’s repetitive or no wasted moments. I think something my favorite albums have in common is that it sounds as if they worked a little harder. They were more inspired than usual or they had something to prove. This feels like one of those. In contrast, the one I like the least is the one that seems to have some lazy writing. The only time in their career that I feel like they did that.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2203 on: July 25, 2022, 02:15:09 PM »
I just want to mention that I have gone back and forth with this album. I put it away for a few months and have come back.  I can tell they worked really hard at writing each song to have a little extra. Nothing that’s repetitive or no wasted moments. I think something my favorite albums have in common is that it sounds as if they worked a little harder. They were more inspired than usual or they had something to prove. This feels like one of those. In contrast, the one I like the least is the one that seems to have some lazy writing. The only time in their career that I feel like they did that.

Which one is your least favorite?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2204 on: July 25, 2022, 04:07:03 PM »

Which one is your least favorite?

Black Clouds and Silver Linings
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?