Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 142825 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #1995 on: February 08, 2022, 08:50:34 PM »
Is anyone else having trouble deciding how they feel about this album? I know that I like it, but I have no clue where I would rate amongst the others.  Not that it really matters anyway.  Just wondering if I’m alone in that.

Kind of. It feels like a better version of the self-titled album (and a significantly better sounding album as well), in that it is pretty consistent, but I don't think there is anything on here I'd call one of their best songs ever.  I am really high on three of the songs (maybe four, depending on what day you ask me about Sleeping Giant), but not top 25 DT song ever high for any.  Considering this is their 15th studio album, I'll take it.   :hat :hat

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1996 on: February 08, 2022, 08:51:01 PM »
The more I listen to it the more I just appreciate that there’s nothing on it I wanna skip. That alone put it in the upper middle for me.

It’s a nice “album experience”. It doesn’t feel overlong like TA and ADTOE did. It doesn’t have anything that makes me roll my eyes wanting it to be done like D/T did.

It’s not anything close to their classic era, but I still maintain that it’s the best album from the MM era.

That is pretty much spot on with how I feel, except I put ADToE above it. Definitely something I can put on, listen to straight through, not feel like there are any significant lulls, and at the end feel happy with the experience without being worn out or ready to move on. I like some of DoT quite a lot, but this is the album I wanted after TA.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1997 on: February 08, 2022, 08:54:41 PM »
Is anyone else having trouble deciding how they feel about this album? I know that I like it, but I have no clue where I would rate amongst the others.  Not that it really matters anyway.  Just wondering if I’m alone in that.

Kind of. It feels like a better version of the self-titled album (and a significantly better sounding album as well), in that it is pretty consistent, but I don't think there is anything on here I'd call one of their best songs ever.  I am really high on three of the songs (maybe four, depending on what day you ask me about Sleeping Giant), but not top 25 DT song ever high for any.  Considering this is their 15th studio album, I'll take it.   :hat :hat

Yeah, that's interesting. I agree actually. I mean, I think The Alien is a great tune and is my fave from the album. But I'm not sure it cracks the Top 30. But this album is amazingly consistent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1998 on: February 08, 2022, 08:54:46 PM »
I don't think anything here is as great as Fall into the Light or At Wit's End, but that's okay.  Awaken the Master, Transcending Time and Answering the Call are all still pretty great, IMO.  I am not overly wild about Invisible Monster (I'd probably like this one more if the lyrics weren't so mediocre in a really cliched way) and the last few minutes of the epic are pretty anti-climatic, but it's still a pretty consistent listen.  There is no Constant Motion or Paralyzed or You Not Me or A Rite of Passage that makes me reach for the skip button.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1999 on: February 08, 2022, 08:57:08 PM »
Yeah, of the last two albums, I rate the top 3 songs...

At Wits End
Fall Into The Light
The Alien
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2000 on: February 08, 2022, 08:58:47 PM »
I am not as high on The Alien as you are (it's my 5th favorite from this record), but I do think it is quite good. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2001 on: February 08, 2022, 09:00:26 PM »
I am not as high on The Alien as you are (it's my 5th favorite from this record), but I do think it is quite good.

And that's the strength of this album. Rating the 5th of 7 tunes as "quite good."

This album doesn't have that "knockout punch" but it jabs you to death.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2002 on: February 08, 2022, 09:03:25 PM »
Agreed with all the last few posts, except The Alien is my least favorite song from the album.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2003 on: February 08, 2022, 09:08:54 PM »
Disagree with the previous post. ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2004 on: February 08, 2022, 09:10:57 PM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2005 on: February 08, 2022, 10:06:03 PM »
Delete.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 02:59:31 PM by Glasser »

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2006 on: February 08, 2022, 10:09:10 PM »
I still think it's the best Mangini era album. The production is just killer.

Funny thing, I consider DoT worst Mangini era album but AWE is the best Mangini era song and the thing is AWE is better than any song on View or any Mangini era songs. I think view is much more consistent and there is no skipable song in it.

Overall, it's probably my top 5 DT album but it could change time to time.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online NoFred

« Reply #2007 on: February 08, 2022, 11:49:57 PM »
I still think it's the best Mangini era album. The production is just killer.

Funny thing, I consider DoT worst Mangini era album but AWE is the best Mangini era song and the thing is AWE is better than any song on View or any Mangini era songs. I think view is much more consistent and there is no skipable song in it.

Overall, it's probably my top 5 DT album but it could change time to time.

I’m in the camp that D/T and View make a pretty fantastic double album, they complement each other really well. One is all riffs and melodies while the other is weight and density. Whatever I miss on D/T is on View, and vice versa. AWE is their top MM song and AVFTTOTW their top MM epic.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2008 on: February 09, 2022, 08:05:35 AM »
I’m in the camp that D/T and View make a pretty fantastic double album, they complement each other really well. One is all riffs and melodies while the other is weight and density. Whatever I miss on D/T is on View, and vice versa. AWE is their top MM song and AVFTTOTW their top MM epic.

ADTOE and the self-titled work very well like that too :tup

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2009 on: February 09, 2022, 08:16:31 AM »
Definitely a consistent album.  Only one song I don't care for very much (Invisible Monster).

I think this has overtaken ADTOE as my favorite Mangini-era album, which would put it around # 5 in the overall discography.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2010 on: February 09, 2022, 10:58:46 AM »
:lol  I listened to The Alien the other day after a long break and realized that it really is a killer track (JP's solo mid-song is just outstanding).  View does the same thing for me that d/t does... once I start listening to it, I can't stop.  I wake up humming IM or ATM and I start my workouts with ATC.  Great album!

Speaking of AWE... really, really love the song.  Has me listening to d/t again.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Kram

« Reply #2011 on: February 09, 2022, 11:27:48 AM »

At Wits End
Fall Into The Light
The Alien
I'd go like this -

A View From The Top of The World
At Wits End
Barstool Warrior

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2012 on: February 09, 2022, 03:56:28 PM »

At Wits End
Fall Into The Light
The Alien
I'd go like this -

At Wits End
Barstool Warrior
This.

Bridges in the Sky
Breaking All Illusions
Barstool Warrior
At Wit’s End
A View from the Top of the World

Those are the top 5 songs of the Mangini era for me.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Kram

« Reply #2013 on: February 09, 2022, 04:01:56 PM »

At Wits End
Fall Into The Light
The Alien
I'd go like this -

At Wits End
Barstool Warrior
This.

Bridges in the Sky
Breaking All Illusions
Barstool Warrior
At Wit’s End

Those are my top 5 MM songs as well Trav.  But TAC was saying top 3 from just DOT and A View

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2014 on: February 09, 2022, 11:23:44 PM »
I am not as high on The Alien as you are... but I do think it is quite good.

Same here, The Alien is a stunning song and I really like it, although it happens to be my 7th favorite piece of the album.

The epic A View is increasingly getting better which each listen. It took a while for me to really appreciate, but it turned out to be a huge grower.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2015 on: February 10, 2022, 06:48:01 AM »
I've not really listened to the album enough, to be honest - other things have been going on. But while I like it, nothing is really standing out. Answering the Call and Awaken the Master (Obey the Kraken? I have no idea what these songs are called) are the best two so far. I love the title track, but do need to listen to it more to fully grok it - there's a lot going on there.

I fully get that they needed to recover a bit of lost ground after The Astonishing, and get that DoT was a heavier album, and this one is more of the same, only letting the longer instrumentals back in, but I'm really disappointed that they couldn't find time for a melodic ballad to break things up a bit. Much as I hate The Astonishing, there's some beautiful music on there, and Chosen is one of my all time favourite DT songs (even if it needs a long, building guitar solo in it). It's a little disappointing that side of the DT sound seems to have gone forever. I've always loved that Another Day / Silent Man / Anna Lee / Spirit Carries On side of the band's music as an interesting counterpoint to the heavy weird stuff. I'm hoping it's not gone forever.

Favourite songs from the MM era:

Outcry
Beneath the Surface
The Bigger Picture
Surrender to Reason (bite me)
Moment of Betrayal
Chosen
Fall Into the Light
Pale Blue Dot
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2016 on: February 10, 2022, 07:18:04 AM »

At Wits End
Fall Into The Light
The Alien
I'd go like this -

At Wits End
Barstool Warrior
This.

Bridges in the Sky
Breaking All Illusions
Barstool Warrior
At Wit’s End

Those are my top 5 MM songs as well Trav.  But TAC was saying top 3 from just DOT and A View

I get it. I was just adding on.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2017 on: February 11, 2022, 06:59:11 PM »
The epic A View is increasingly getting better which each listen. It took a while for me to really appreciate, but it turned out to be a huge grower.

I was pretty lukewarm on it after the first listen, but after a few more I am really drawn to it. Easily ranks above IT, and The Count, if we are lumping that song in the same category. Other than the usual Jordan spot I have been over for the past 6 albums or so, it doesn't feel like its length. It has enough variety to keep me interested without having any disparate sections that make it feel disjointed.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #2018 on: February 13, 2022, 01:41:29 AM »
I fully get that they needed to recover a bit of lost ground after The Astonishing, and get that DoT was a heavier album, and this one is more of the same, only letting the longer instrumentals back in, but I'm really disappointed that they couldn't find time for a melodic ballad to break things up a bit. Much as I hate The Astonishing, there's some beautiful music on there, and Chosen is one of my all time favourite DT songs (even if it needs a long, building guitar solo in it). It's a little disappointing that side of the DT sound seems to have gone forever. I've always loved that Another Day / Silent Man / Anna Lee / Spirit Carries On side of the band's music as an interesting counterpoint to the heavy weird stuff. I'm hoping it's not gone forever.

You do not consider Out of Reach a ballad? That fits in the Distance Over Time - A View streak perfectly.

Althought to me it’s all about balance in an album and the instrumental cello-section of A View fills the void.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #2019 on: February 13, 2022, 03:45:44 AM »
With the ballads, i don't miss not having a "true" one on this album, although you could argue Transcending Time is somewhat of a power ballad.
The last few ballads they have done, to me, have been the weakest on their respective albums. I just don't think they play to DTs current strengths. They simply don't have the subtlety in lyric writing these days that made songs like WFS, TSM, AL etc so great. More often then not, I just find the new ballads come across as cheesy/overtly saccharine.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2020 on: February 13, 2022, 08:38:27 AM »
I loved Out of Reach, but it does feel like for a really mellow song and/or ballad to work really well, the lyrics have to be at least good or notable, and I would agree that that is not currently a strength of the band. 

That said, I do think the middle section of the title track from A View... qualifies as the mellow "song"/moment on this record, but unfortunately for me that is already a song I have put on the backburner when not doing full album listens, as the ending is too unsatisfying for me to go out of my way to dedicate 20 minutes.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2021 on: February 13, 2022, 09:22:47 AM »
Out Of Reach might literally be my least favorite DT song.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2022 on: February 13, 2022, 10:26:35 AM »
Out Of Reach might literally be my least favorite DT song.

Same
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2023 on: February 13, 2022, 10:40:33 AM »
I loved Out of Reach, but it does feel like for a really mellow song and/or ballad to work really well, the lyrics have to be at least good or notable, and I would agree that that is not currently a strength of the band. 

That said, I do think the middle section of the title track from A View... qualifies as the mellow "song"/moment on this record, but unfortunately for me that is already a song I have put on the backburner when not doing full album listens, as the ending is too unsatisfying for me to go out of my way to dedicate 20 minutes.

I would like to know how you think they could end the song and still keep the meaning of the ending?

I actually like the ending and do not mind it not ending on an epic high note or climax. The purpose and meaning is there. The driving force to be on the brink of death as that wave or peak draws near. I see it like a person who has reached the pinnacle, is at the top of the world, and is ready to do it all again.

After seeing it live and with all the live footage of people laughing at death, it was amazing for the meaning of the song. Seeing the videos for Rapture of The Deep, I was all...Oh yeah, now that makes sense, going on a deep dive into the depths of the ocean to explore, and always coming back for more of that ambition.

Which is the entire theme of the album, peoples ambitions to explore the depths of mankind's existence, as you stare death in the eyes saying "Bring it".
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #2024 on: February 13, 2022, 11:42:33 AM »
After seeing it live and with all the live footage of people laughing at death, it was amazing for the meaning of the song. Seeing the videos for Rapture of The Deep, I was all...Oh yeah, now that makes sense, going on a deep dive into the depths of the ocean to explore, and always coming back for more of that ambition.

I've got my ticket already for their tour in Amsterdam, june. Can't wait, honestly. Will be the fourth time in my life (including the vague Indoor Metal Fest in Ghent, Belgium) and hopefully there will be many more tours to come.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2025 on: February 13, 2022, 12:00:21 PM »

I would like to know how you think they could end the song and still keep the meaning of the ending?

I actually like the ending and do not mind it not ending on an epic high note or climax. The purpose and meaning is there. The driving force to be on the brink of death as that wave or peak draws near. I see it like a person who has reached the pinnacle, is at the top of the world, and is ready to do it all again.

Which is the entire theme of the album, peoples ambitions to explore the depths of mankind's existence, as you stare death in the eyes saying "Bring it".

I am not a songwriter, so I cannot answer that, but I will just say that whatever meaning they were going for is fine, but the musical execution does not stick to landing.  Could be a case where their ambition greatly outweighed their execution.  And others have expressed a similar sentiment about the underwhelming ending, so I am not alone in this line of thinking.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2026 on: February 13, 2022, 12:02:41 PM »

I've got my ticket already for their tour in Amsterdam, june. Can't wait, honestly. Will be the fourth time in my life (including the vague Indoor Metal Fest in Ghent, Belgium) and hopefully there will be many more tours to come.

I started travelling to see Dream Theater with The Astonishing tour. It would've been the Along For The Ride tour, but life prevented that, which I really wanted to attend and hear Space Dye Vest, Finally Free and Scarred.

Since then, I have seen a themed tour with a set-list that is already pre-planned. This tour was the first one I am seeing that is not a pre-planned set-list. Fortunately, Mesa was their first stop and it was a pleasure to attend that specific show. For one, the set-list was unknown and no one knew what would be played except for the given new songs. I was ecstatic when each song began. I also took my friend with me who enjoys music as well and actually was interested in seeing a band I listen to. She enjoyed the show and likes the meaning to A View From... She was also around when I would play those other songs, and interestingly, before the show that day, a couple of them got played on Spotify shuffle. Second, to experience and be there with the band playing their first show in two years. You could feel that vibe and excitement from the band, and from where I was, the fans. I did also notice a lot of older fans, so that could be a reason for the amount of people sitting. But those who stood up were rocking out, at least I was, and there were two guys right in front of JLB headbanging and singing along, one almost got hit in the head by his mic stand during one song but he caught it just before, and JLB mentioned something about it.

The stage production is great as well, and does fit with the lighting scheme and big video screen. Reminds me of The Astonishing design a bit, which was also fantastic.

I would've liked to have been able to see the show again, just to get a seat further away and enjoy the view of the production rather than being close to the band and not being able to fully take in the production.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2027 on: February 13, 2022, 12:34:45 PM »

I am not a songwriter, so I cannot answer that, but I will just say that whatever meaning they were going for is fine, but the musical execution does not stick to landing.  Could be a case where their ambition greatly outweighed their execution.  And others have expressed a similar sentiment about the underwhelming ending, so I am not alone in this line of thinking.

I do not see the ending as underwhelming. I think it fits perfectly with the entire meaning of the song. The videos during the live shows really helps explain this meaning. And the ending isn't supposed to really be uplifting and ethereal sounding, it's supposed to represent that face off with death, that is the moment where you feel most alive, that is what the ending tension of the outro symbolizes. It's why to me, the outro is like saying, "Come on. Bring on the next challenge." almost like declaring to the world to bring on the next face off with death.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #2028 on: February 13, 2022, 01:39:13 PM »
I started travelling to see Dream Theater with The Astonishing tour. It would've been the Along For The Ride tour, but life prevented that, which I really wanted to attend and hear Space Dye Vest, Finally Free and Scarred.

Me as well would absolutely love to hear Scarred and Space-Dye Vest live.

Since then, I have seen a themed tour with a set-list that is already pre-planned. This tour was the first one I am seeing that is not a pre-planned set-list. Fortunately, Mesa was their first stop and it was a pleasure to attend that specific show. For one, the set-list was unknown and no one knew what would be played except for the given new songs. I was ecstatic when each song began.

I understand the complexity of the variety of different setlist every night and admire Portnoy for being so gifted back in those days, where every night was a not-known-for. But I am actually glad to have seen the setlist already. Now I know what it's gonna be it raises my expectations even more. I am not pleased by a surprise usually, digging the setlist, dive in those tracks the weeks before is far more my cup of tea.

The stage production is great as well, and does fit with the lighting scheme and big video screen. Reminds me of The Astonishing design a bit, which was also fantastic.

If I could warp through time and space, I would visit The Astonishing tour for sure. So darn shame I found out about Dream Theater just a couple of months after.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2029 on: February 13, 2022, 01:52:27 PM »

I've got my ticket already for their tour in Amsterdam, june. Can't wait, honestly. Will be the fourth time in my life creens(including the vague Indoor Metal Fest in Ghent, Belgium) and hopefully there will be many more tours to come.

I would've liked to have been able to see the show again, just to get a seat further away and enjoy the view of the production rather than being close to the band and not being able to fully take in the production.
I was far enough away to take in the whole production but close enough to still see the band. The lighting, drape style screens, and overall presentation was very impressive.
If we get a live dvd of from this tour, I really hope they focus on the overall stage show and not too many close-ups.  More from the audience perspective of taking it all in.
So many concert DVDs have too many camera angles that jump around way too much, and too many close-ups if not point blank shots of the singers face. If you can see nostril hairs, that's just too darn close.. lol!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP