Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 140778 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #1960 on: January 12, 2022, 01:26:36 PM »
Odd.  I have felt since first listen that Jordan is very prominent in the mix.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1961 on: January 12, 2022, 01:55:30 PM »
Odd.  I have felt since first listen that Jordan is very prominent in the mix.
Same here, I can hear Jordan just fine throughout the whole album.  I love the way everything is produced and mixed. Pretty hard to top.   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #1962 on: January 13, 2022, 07:30:43 AM »
Let' support band on progarchives.
I remember my rating for DoT, I suddenly put 5 stars, here I'm balancing between 4 and 5... how crazy I am...  :biggrin:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=73168

Online WardySI

« Reply #1963 on: January 14, 2022, 08:59:43 PM »
Still absorbing this one love so much of it and so grateful to the young son who started working recently wanting to surprise his old man with some vinyl for the Christmas / Birthday combo!  He didn't have to but boy did he choose great!

CHEERS MATE! :metal

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1964 on: January 14, 2022, 10:46:19 PM »
Still absorbing this one love so much of it and so grateful to the young son who started working recently wanting to surprise his old man with some vinyl for the Christmas / Birthday combo!  He didn't have to but boy did he choose great!

That's a beautiful thing! Sounds like you have a great thoughtful young lad!  :)

Online WardySI

« Reply #1965 on: January 15, 2022, 01:07:16 AM »

That's a beautiful thing! Sounds like you have a great thoughtful young lad!  :)

Cheers, think he's a keeper this one 😉

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1966 on: January 15, 2022, 11:09:45 PM »
Now that’s how you love a dad. Can I borrow your son arround july for a day or two? 😉 Well, I can’t complain, since my daughter bought me Distant Memories in vinyl for my birthday.

Seems like we’re blessed.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1967 on: January 21, 2022, 05:14:39 PM »
Been revisiting the new record today. I like it a lot more than I did when it first came out. I played it a few times, shelved it in favor of other records I was jamming on (Myles Kennedy, Mastodon). But really dug what I heard today. Title track is by far my favorite. Could be one of my favorite DT songs of all time.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1968 on: January 21, 2022, 05:16:31 PM »
Been revisiting the new record today. I like it a lot more than I did when it first came out. I played it a few times, shelved it in favor of other records I was jamming on (Myles Kennedy, Mastodon). But really dug what I heard today. Title track is by far my favorite. Could be one of my favorite DT songs of all time.

It's an excellent album Brian, though I have no idea why anyone would shelve it for the Mastodon.. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1969 on: January 21, 2022, 05:29:45 PM »
Tim - their latest, Hushed and Grim, is spectacular. ha ha ha.

But yeah, jammin on A View From the Top of the World today for sure. The show should be fun. Would be more fun with you here bro!  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1970 on: January 21, 2022, 05:37:38 PM »
Tim - their latest, Hushed and Grim, is spectacular. ha ha ha.

But yeah, jammin on A View From the Top of the World today for sure. The show should be fun. Would be more fun with you here bro!  :metal

Amen Brother.

We're seeing them in Boston. I can't wait!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kram

« Reply #1971 on: January 22, 2022, 10:21:54 AM »
A View is a top 10-15 all time DT song for me (would have to make a comprehensive list to figure out exactly where, maybe I'll try to do that soon).  Regardless, big big fan of it!

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1972 on: January 24, 2022, 06:19:45 PM »
I don't know why I keep doubting Dream Theater. It probably has more to do with me than them. This album is very solid, with the title track, The Alien, and Awaken The Master especially getting better with each listen. The only track I don't like is Invisible Monster. Everything else is greatly enjoyable.

The mix and overall sound have improved with each new Mangini-era album since The Astonishing, and AVF continues that upwards trend with a concise and powerful atmosphere that lets everyone shine. The bands musicianship has not faltered one bit either. A couple of things actually surprised me, like the keyboard solo on The Alien being phrased somewhat similarly to a guitar at times. I won't ramble too much though. Just want to state how impressed I am at how much this album has grown on me. It's another one of those that didn't catch on right away, but pulled me in later :)
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1973 on: January 26, 2022, 09:24:55 AM »
Official video for Transcending Time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbzrxFRCyAk
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1974 on: January 26, 2022, 09:32:39 AM »
Official video for Transcending Time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbzrxFRCyAk

It's a beautiful video, but...no band footage?

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1975 on: January 26, 2022, 10:05:55 AM »

It’s the same video that is on the blu-ray that came in the box set. Just like the one they put out for Awaken the Master.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1976 on: January 26, 2022, 11:14:42 AM »

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1977 on: January 27, 2022, 07:35:05 PM »

Yes, beautiful, but really disappointing.  It's just album artwork with effects.  I did the same thing for the ADtoE lyric video contest 10 years ago for This is The Life (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksQqoXVNTmI).  Yeah, it's cheesy AF, but I still think it turned out well.

DT is doing, like, 3 lyric videos for every 1 actual video these days... and this one doesn't even have lyrics!

Especially for a band like DT I want to see them playing. This video is good for exactly one viewing and after that I'm just doing stuff on my phone while it plays.
Musicians can learn a lot from watching other musicians play. Even a simple video of them playing, like on Untethered Angel, would be awesome and worth several re-watches.

I'm not big on the "sinister" instrumental section.  It seems so out of place in the middle of such a happy song.  I think doing a piano/acoustic breakdown like at 4:50 or the outro would have been a better way to go.  But it's still my favorite song on VTW.

They're all great but I seem to gravitate more towards their happier-sounding songs.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1978 on: January 31, 2022, 06:07:59 AM »
Well it took three months but I finally picked up my copy.

I listened to it in my car on my trips to and from work so it wasn’t a concentrated listen. Only “Transcending Time” really caught my attention first time through. Certain parts of certain songs peaked my interest, but overall, again after one listen, this one feels like a bottom half album in their discography.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1979 on: January 31, 2022, 07:13:33 AM »

I listened to it in my car on my trips to and from work so it wasn’t a concentrated listen. Only “Transcending Time” really caught my attention first time through. Certain parts of certain songs peaked my interest, but overall, again after one listen, this one feels like a bottom half album in their discography.
Give it time. It's a grower. Took several spins for it to click for me, and now I think it's the best MM-era album.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1980 on: January 31, 2022, 07:18:04 AM »

Trascending Time stands out because it's the only song remarkably different from the rest of the bunch. The other ones will grow on you.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #1981 on: January 31, 2022, 07:27:35 AM »

soon to judge...
focus on that, you'll discover more, MM is fantastic, resp., all of them, Production quality is top. Try listen on good headphones or speakers.
I gave it time too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1982 on: January 31, 2022, 07:56:02 AM »
I just watched the BTS video on the blu-ray for the first time this weekend.  Great stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1983 on: January 31, 2022, 07:58:09 AM »

When I first listened, more than once, I almost cried. "Is this really it?" I thought. "Alien will be the best song?".
Well, now Alien is my least favorite. It really took longer to digest this one. But once it took hold, no skips. Its fantastic! It doesn't topple my 1 and 2, but its super enjoyable and what I listen to when listening to DT right now.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1984 on: January 31, 2022, 09:40:58 AM »
I'm glad you all found some resting point with this record.  I know for me, I gave it a number of listens, and it DID get better as I dug in. But it's still stalled at mid-tier DT now. Nothing BAD; it's well-written, well-played, and well-sung, but it hasn't burrowed it's way in at this point.  I wake up some mornings humming the melody to Bird On A Wire (Neal Morse Band) or Senjutsu (Iron Maiden), my two albums of the year.  That hasn't happened with the new DT as of yet.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1985 on: January 31, 2022, 09:59:48 AM »
I'm glad you all found some resting point with this record.  I know for me, I gave it a number of listens, and it DID get better as I dug in. But it's still stalled at mid-tier DT now. Nothing BAD; it's well-written, well-played, and well-sung, but it hasn't burrowed it's way in at this point.  I wake up some mornings humming the melody to Bird On A Wire (Neal Morse Band) or Senjutsu (Iron Maiden), my two albums of the year.  That hasn't happened with the new DT as of yet.
Maybe you need SHOCK TREATMENT!!  🤯⚡⚡
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1986 on: January 31, 2022, 10:23:14 AM »

It really might do some help :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1987 on: February 01, 2022, 07:56:09 AM »

Second spin brought some life, the title track really jumped out this time, as did Answering the Call.

Gotta say, I think some of the lyrics aren’t very good. This has been an issue over the last few albums.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1988 on: February 01, 2022, 07:58:56 AM »

It really might do some help :P

Help to save me from myself?   :)

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1989 on: February 08, 2022, 03:07:15 PM »
Is anyone else having trouble deciding how they feel about this album? I know that I like it, but I have no clue where I would rate amongst the others.  Not that it really matters anyway.  Just wondering if I’m alone in that.
Can't we find the minds

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1990 on: February 08, 2022, 04:16:01 PM »
Is anyone else having trouble deciding how they feel about this album? I know that I like it, but I have no clue where I would rate amongst the others.  Not that it really matters anyway.  Just wondering if I’m alone in that.

I still can't figure out where to rank The Astonishing :lol (I love it, though)

Offline Kram

« Reply #1991 on: February 08, 2022, 04:37:20 PM »
I hear what you’re saying. I’d probably rank it upper middle tier of their discography.  But some days I think maybe it should be higher and some days maybe lower. I do think the tittle track is a top 10-15 song of their’s though.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1992 on: February 08, 2022, 05:08:57 PM »
I hear what you’re saying. I’d probably rank it upper middle tier of their discography.  But some days I think maybe it should be higher and some days maybe lower. I do think the tittle track is a top 10-15 song of their’s though.

Same here. The title track is one that I seem to love more with each listen.
Can't we find the minds

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1993 on: February 08, 2022, 08:08:18 PM »
The more I listen to it the more I just appreciate that there’s nothing on it I wanna skip. That alone put it in the upper middle for me.

It’s a nice “album experience”. It doesn’t feel overlong like TA and ADTOE did. It doesn’t have anything that makes me roll my eyes wanting it to be done like D/T did.

It’s not anything close to their classic era, but I still maintain that it’s the best album from the MM era.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1994 on: February 08, 2022, 08:10:10 PM »
The more I listen to it the more I just appreciate that there’s nothing on it I wanna skip. That alone put it in the upper middle for me.

Yes...this. I do have a least favorite song...Answering The Call....but I still like it and I still feel no need to skip it!!!