Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 141800 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #1715 on: November 23, 2021, 02:18:57 PM »
I'm actually shocked you have a few progressive metal bands nominated.  I'm not sure DT wins this, but they have about as good of a shot as the others.  I'm not sure there's a huge popularity difference between these bands.  Gojira seems hot right now though, I would pick that song over the others personally too.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1716 on: November 23, 2021, 03:10:05 PM »
I'm actually shocked you have a few progressive metal bands nominated.  I'm not sure DT wins this, but they have about as good of a shot as the others.  I'm not sure there's a huge popularity difference between these bands.  Gojira seems hot right now though, I would pick that song over the others personally too.

All the bands on there are good. Hats off to the Grammys for actually having great contenders for this category.

I'm having a hard time deciding who might come out. I am guessing Gojira as well. Although Mastodon and Rob Zombie are up there.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1717 on: November 23, 2021, 03:23:38 PM »
I'd be shocked if Rob Zombie won, his music is not deserving IMO and I'm saying that as someone who enjoys his new album.  It's just not on the same level as the others, but what do I know.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #1718 on: November 23, 2021, 03:27:58 PM »
Grammy's over there saying DT greatest this and that...pfft

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1719 on: November 24, 2021, 07:42:49 AM »
https://fb.watch/9u2clZk3Nh/

"Dream Theater are so honored to be nominated for a GRAMMY this year in the Best Metal Performance category! ‘The Alien’ was the first track that we wrote for the new album when we all convened to write last October. We are thrilled to have it be recognized in this way. We are in some amazing company with this year’s nominees and wish them all the best of luck! #Grammys"
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1720 on: November 24, 2021, 09:00:58 AM »
Not sure if it got mentioned elsewhere, but The Alien gets a Grammy nod for Best metal Performance.

That's pretty cool...I did see that. It'd be great for these guys to get a win even though we all know the Grammy's are a popularity contest and those who win aren't necessarily 'the best'. But, for the longevity of their career and the fact that they submitted for consideration so you know they'd like to get one....I hope they eventually get the recognition.
True story, it is more of a popularity contest.  Some of the bands on the list are Gojira, Mastadon, and Rob Zombie. The likelyhood of DT winning that is slim, even though The Alien is probably the most musical song in the category.   I'm sure the other songs are a lot shorter and the judges will gravitate towards that, but who knows.
Dream Theater definitely deserves an accolade in this dept..   :tup

Because it is a popularity contest and the Grammys have no credibility *especially* in this category, they may look at the fact that this is DT's 3rd nomination and be like, "yeah, lets vote for them."

I think they have a pretty good chance of winning.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1721 on: November 24, 2021, 09:06:33 AM »
I'd say they have a solid shot but honestly it's my least favorite song on the album. I'd be rooting so much harder if I didn't like some of the other nominated songs better.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1722 on: November 24, 2021, 12:07:34 PM »
I'd say they have a solid shot but honestly it's my least favorite song on the album. I'd be rooting so much harder if I didn't like some of the other nominated songs better.
I listened to the Gojira song,  and is nowhere near as good as The Alien imo. It did have some cool drumming in it though.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1723 on: November 24, 2021, 12:58:53 PM »
I listened to the Gojira song,  and is nowhere near as good as The Alien imo. It did have some cool drumming in it though.

I listened to all of them. I was not familiar with any of the songs, but had seen Gojira in concert. I like Gojira ok, but not that type of vocals. The only other one I kind of liked was the Mastadon song, but like the Alien better. What I love about The Alien, is that when if finishes I think, wow! It has a great ending and doesn't feel like a 10 minute song.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1724 on: November 24, 2021, 01:00:32 PM »
Gojira is not for everyone, I don't expect DT fans to pick them over DT.  To me, I just really loved that entire album and that may actually be my favorite track from the album. 

Offline Art

« Reply #1725 on: November 24, 2021, 01:47:03 PM »
MasTOdon

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1726 on: November 24, 2021, 01:52:23 PM »
I'd say they have a solid shot

'IF' it were being truly judged on the 'best' song for the category DT would win hands down. Listening to all the songs (or at least the ones I could get through) there really isn't much competition to be had here. DT stands out as the clear 'better' song.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1727 on: November 24, 2021, 02:58:55 PM »
So what is the difference between best song and best performance? 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1728 on: November 24, 2021, 07:17:13 PM »

'IF' it were being truly judged on the 'best' song for the category DT would win hands down. Listening to all the songs (or at least the ones I could get through) there really isn't much competition to be had here. DT stands out as the clear 'better' song.

I'd easily take the Mastodon song over DT.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1729 on: November 24, 2021, 07:46:20 PM »
I'd easily take Mastodon over a root canal.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1730 on: November 24, 2021, 07:48:04 PM »

The root of all evil canal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1731 on: November 24, 2021, 08:00:04 PM »

I'd easily take the Mastodon song over DT.
Was gonna give a clever comeback but decided to give it and the other 3 other nominees a spin just so I could fairly judge them, and quite honestly, all of them except for the Deftones track were better than I expected, despite the fact that I'm not a fan of any of them. In particular, the Mastodon had parts that I actually liked (a first for me). That said, I'd still take The Alien over all of them in a heartbeat!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #1732 on: November 24, 2021, 08:00:37 PM »
when I listen to the Alien, I just hear a band that is lightyears ahead of the other grammy nominees, and a song that pretty damn good. The only reason I even criticize it is because I am a DT fan  :biggrin:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1733 on: November 24, 2021, 08:38:24 PM »

The root of all evil canal.

:lol

Tried listening to Mastodon once... not my cup of tea at all.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1734 on: November 24, 2021, 09:26:31 PM »
Jeez, you really can't say anything remotely negative about DT or say you like something better than DT on this side of the forum hey.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1735 on: November 24, 2021, 09:30:53 PM »
You can't?  ???  Happens all the time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1736 on: November 25, 2021, 08:36:32 AM »
"I'd easily take the Mastodon song over DT." followed by a quip, a pun, someone about to make a comeback but actually saying the song's pretty good, someone saying that they simply vastly prefer DT to the others and someone saying Mastodon isn't for them. It's hardly being shouted down, really.

For what it's worth, I think both the Mastodon and DT track are fantastic, although I haven't yet listened to Hushed and Grim. My preference would probably depend on if I was in the mood for something either visceral and cathartic, or intricate and grandiose. Love the energy of both.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1737 on: November 25, 2021, 10:04:52 AM »
I'm hoping for a Gojira win as that's easily my favorite song there, but I like The Alien and Pushing The Tides as well so it's cool that they were nominated!

I like Deftones but I really hope Genesis doesn't win. NOT one of their better songs.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1738 on: November 25, 2021, 11:03:46 AM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1739 on: November 25, 2021, 12:05:56 PM »
Just saw that Mastadon performed on Seth Meyers recently so that should pretty much seal up the Grammy for them. It is a popularity contest so the fact they’re at least getting that C level celebrity style exposure gives them a leg up.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1740 on: November 25, 2021, 12:09:57 PM »
Just saw that Mastadon performed on Seth Meyers recently so that should pretty much seal up the Grammy for them. It is a popularity contest so the fact they’re at least getting that C level celebrity style exposure gives them a leg up.

Seth Meyers also had Mario, Gojira's Drummer, on as a guest drummer.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1741 on: November 25, 2021, 12:30:54 PM »
the most musical song in the category.

What does this mean?

Genuine question, I don't get why you would use the word 'musical' to describe a song, since every song is per definition 'musical'. seems like a strange adjective to use.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1742 on: November 25, 2021, 12:52:48 PM »
I wouldn't read too much into a late night appearance, they've been on late night before and Brann has done Seth Meyer's guest drummer spot in the past.  I would only consider that a leg up over DT who likely won't get that type of exposure, at least not with a song as long as The Alien, but Deftones, Gojira, and Rob Zombie are all huge artists for the US rock/metal festival circuit and are probably all more mainstream than DT.  One of the strongest lineups of Grammy metal nominees that I can remember, and honestly anything feels like it could take the award with DT as the "underdog" choice.  I'm pulling for DT but would be thrilled for Mastodon or Gojira too  :metal

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1743 on: November 26, 2021, 12:36:34 AM »
Pretty cool group of nominees, i only haven't heard Rob Zombie's song, but the rest are all great and in the top of my lists for this year. Of course i'd hope that DT would win, but i'll be happy with Mastodon / Gojira as well.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1744 on: November 26, 2021, 04:37:46 AM »
the most musical song in the category.

What does this mean?

Genuine question, I don't get why you would use the word 'musical' to describe a song, since every song is per definition 'musical'. seems like a strange adjective to use.
I meant even though it is in the metal category,  the Alien is more melodic with catchier hooks and a lot more instrumentation used to the full.  The song is loaded with beautiful guitar solos, keyboard solos, and very complex rhythm sections.  Nice soaring vocal melodies to top it all off.   
 I think it's safe to say that some songs are more musical than others. Even within DTs music.  Barstool Warrior is more musical than Burning My Soul etc..  😁
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1745 on: November 26, 2021, 08:16:54 AM »
Anyone remember how DT ever got nominated the first time? Kinda bizarre when you think about it. Was it for On The Backs Of Angels?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1746 on: November 26, 2021, 08:23:46 AM »
If this were a popularity context, Rob Zombie would win. Pretty sure he's the biggest name on the list, but that song is probably the worst on the list. (and I do actually like it, and his new album).

Also, from what I see, it looks like Mastadon performed Teardrinker not Pushing the Tides on Seth Myers.  I like both songs, but Teardrinker is a more melodic and catchier song IMO.  If that were up for a grammy, I might have favored it over Gojira.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1747 on: November 26, 2021, 09:52:56 AM »
Anyone remember how DT ever got nominated the first time? Kinda bizarre when you think about it. Was it for On The Backs Of Angels?

Yeah, it was for OTBOA. I still remember MP making comments about how the nomination wasn't really because of the song but because of their 25+ year career. Man, was he bitter back then :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1748 on: November 26, 2021, 10:52:23 AM »
What was the second time they were nominated for a grammy?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1749 on: November 26, 2021, 11:00:14 AM »
What was the second time they were nominated for a grammy?

1st time: On the Backs of Angels
2nd time: The Enemy Inside

I remember reading an interview where someone asked them if they were attending the grammys again and they were like, "Nah. First time we couldn't pass up because we weren't sure if we'd ever get the opportunity again."  I think they even had to cancel a show to go. They weren't going to do that a second time. Probably won't do it this time. It was funny watching them be interviewed on the red carpet because the interviewer clearly didn't know who they were but had to pretend to be super enthusiastic. Weird ass pageantry if you ask me.