Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 142743 times)

Online Kram

Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #1645 on: November 16, 2021, 06:04:48 PM »
Invisible Monster is my least favorite of the album, but it's my favorite out of all my least favorites from each album
I agree 100%. This is me as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1646 on: November 16, 2021, 06:49:57 PM »
I remember that Constant Motion (their worst single ever and a bottom 5 song from any DT album) and The Dark Eternal Night were the songs released prior to Systematic Chaos as both had videos, although I think the latter might have been just a studio one, but still.  Not sure if either was considered a single, or just pre-release promotional videos.  I don't remember Forsaken and its video hitting until after the album was out. 

The Alien might be the best lead single of the Mangini era, but I cannot recall, what was the lead one from The Astonishing?  The Alien is certainly better than On the Backs of Angels or Untethered Angel.

The two singles from the Astonishing were The Gift of Music and Moment of Betrayal, if I am not wrong.

I actually like both them, more that The Alien (that's not a bad song though)

Ah, that's right. I like both more than The Alien, but I still think The Alien is a good, solid tune.  Not a favorite, but it's a good song.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1647 on: November 16, 2021, 07:37:59 PM »
Cannot decide yet which is the one song on the album i like the most. Could pick any of them and feel any option is a good answer, same on any kind of combination songs order based on preference.

Still difficult not to repeat the album right away on every listen.

Every few days I have a different "favorite" song, but I love them all. Its always changing based on what I'm feeling. THAT is what makes this album a work of art.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 09:49:59 PM by Glasser »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1648 on: November 17, 2021, 03:41:25 AM »
I was throughly enjoying the album for a week or two and now I haven't had the urge to listen to it again. Is it wearing out on me already? It's been a week without the new album by now.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1649 on: November 17, 2021, 04:29:55 AM »
Invisible Monster > Sleeping Giant > Transcending Time.

Reverse for me

Emit Tnidnecsnart < Tnaig Gnipeels < Retsnom Elbisivni

I was throughly enjoying the album for a week or two and now I haven't had the urge to listen to it again. Is it wearing out on me already? It's been a week without the new album by now.

I do the same with all albums. I just means that it won't already sound tired the next time you do listen.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1650 on: November 17, 2021, 08:32:27 AM »
This is now a top three CD for me.  It's in my top group with I&W and Awake.  Maybe that will change over time but I doubt it.  My order, I think, is:

A View From the Top of the World
Awaken the Master
(side note, bonus points for my favorite tracks ending the CD)
Sleeping Giant
The Alien
Answering the Call
Transcending Time
Invisible Monster

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1651 on: November 17, 2021, 09:46:29 AM »
A couple weeks ago while on a flight, when the pilot mentioned we will be on the ground in 25 minutes, I changed my music to the title track and watched out the window.  It felt perfect.  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1652 on: November 17, 2021, 09:47:25 AM »
A couple weeks ago while on a flight, when the pilot mentioned we will be on the ground in 25 minutes, I changed my music to the title track and watched out the window.  It felt perfect.  :metal
:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Kram

« Reply #1653 on: November 17, 2021, 10:36:49 AM »
I had the same thing happened to me.  Took a week off from listening to it - then when I went back to it, it kicked even more ass!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 12:27:16 PM by Kram »

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1654 on: November 17, 2021, 10:59:36 AM »
:metal

I mountain bike. I can ride from my house to this "motocross" type trail system on the side of a steep mountain. It's a long up ride home - starting from when I reach the bottom of the trail sytem to my house. I live up a steep hill from the trails. I always listen to DT when I ride and about 1/4 of the way back up the other day, A View came on. Perfect song to power me up and push through what can be a long slug at times!  :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1655 on: November 17, 2021, 11:03:14 AM »
Well I was really enjoying the new album two weeks ago...

..I still am, but I was two weeks ago too.

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #1656 on: November 17, 2021, 06:45:30 PM »
Random thoughts while i wait a few more weeks to write my full review:

- Sleeping Giant gives me the feels a lot of people expressed with Barstool Warrior. I'm a huge fan of James using his voice as an instrument with the whole "ohhh ohh ohh ohhhhh" section. It'll be badass when they play it live. Also the arrangements on the second chorus.... (chef kiss).

- If ever a DT song deserved an apology from me it's IM. It's the perfect song on the context of the album and where it's placed. That solo from JP won't make any top 10 in my book but it's pure ear candy.

- I love how the 8 string song is actually one of the most melodic songs on the album. I think of it like one of those super friendly pitbulls you see on TikTok. JP did great by not doing a generic Djent song.

- The Alien is the perfect song to start the album. It's almost like taking the baton from PBD, and with both songs talking about space themed I think of it like Disappear-> Vacant -> Medicate: separate songs that thematically could be connected with a bit of imagination.

- Jordan is a fn monster in this album setting the tone on the background. Also his patches are less "pin-ball machiney"

I've said this before and I say it again about AVFTTOTW:

- It's the epic that if Haken had written it I'd be like "oh man I wish DT would do something like this".
 - I'm a big fan of ditching the crescendo + solo ending and instead doing that odd yet catchy loopy riff to send the album off. Talk about not doing the same over and over again.
- The instrumental section at ~7:15 still gives me chill and that change of time signature from Mangini at 8:13 is my only regret on this album because I wish it was just a bit longer.
- The False ending makes me giddy
- The section at ~16:24 still surprises me - it's something I'd expect more from Symphony X than from DT. Love it.

Only 2 weeks in there is no a single skip song for me. I have a strong feeling this one will rank very high on my list. I wish they'd play the entire thing 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1657 on: November 17, 2021, 06:46:25 PM »

MITCH!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1658 on: November 17, 2021, 08:09:23 PM »

MITCH!!!

Mitch Hedberg was the best!!!  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1659 on: November 17, 2021, 08:12:58 PM »
I used to like AVFTTOTW.

I still do, but I used to too.

Mitch was awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1660 on: November 17, 2021, 08:25:17 PM »
“I like the FedEx driver, because he’s a drug dealer and he don’t even know it”.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1661 on: November 17, 2021, 08:31:24 PM »
"An escalator can never break. It just becomes...stairs."
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1662 on: November 17, 2021, 08:40:55 PM »

I've said this before and I say it again about AVFTTOTW:

- It's the epic that if Haken had written it I'd be like "oh man I wish DT would do something like this".

Absolutely!!
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1663 on: November 17, 2021, 08:43:13 PM »
Not sure I understand. It's an awesome song, though to me it's a bit undercut by the non epic ending.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1664 on: November 18, 2021, 06:12:31 AM »
Not sure I understand. It's an awesome song, though to me it's a bit undercut by the non epic ending.
I think the reason some of us like it is that the "epic ending" is expected, so much so that it's almost a cliche.  We like that they refused the expectation, and went a different route.

Like, ANYONE that writes these epics gives them the "epic ending".  Subverting expectation every once in a while is a good thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #1665 on: November 18, 2021, 07:19:16 AM »
I think the reason some of us like it is that the "epic ending" is expected, so much so that it's almost a cliche.  We like that they refused the expectation, and went a different route.

Like, ANYONE that writes these epics gives them the "epic ending".  Subverting expectation every once in a while is a good thing.

Bingo

This is exactly it for me. I was caught off guard with the ending in a good way - I think the easy thing would have been to do an ending ala IT, or 8V or TA or SDOIT but it's been done to death. The "epicness" of this song for me comes not from the length or the ending but from the entire journey and it's a wild one for me.

Online LKap13

« Reply #1666 on: November 18, 2021, 07:23:04 AM »
The ending is brilliant. You just don't find this kinda stuff in much music today (or in the past for that matter)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1667 on: November 18, 2021, 07:37:47 AM »
The ending is brilliant. You just don't find this kinda stuff in much music today (or in the past for that matter)

What 'kind of stuff' do you mean exactly?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #1668 on: November 18, 2021, 07:42:11 AM »
I really like that AVFTTOTW has a "handbrake" section when approaching the end, in which the sound slows down but each instrument kind of does it at its own pace, creating that syncopated feeling. The same happens in the "pre-ending" of Scarred, and it aggrandizes Scarred as it does AVFTTOTW.

Regarding the very end of its ending, AVFTTOTW has it mimicking the starting motif. The same happens on the first song, The Alien. The meaning is, for each individual song as well as for the album as a whole: the story ends where it began.

Online LKap13

« Reply #1669 on: November 18, 2021, 07:46:01 AM »

Change of pace, surprising to the listener, extreme syncopation, fantastic sound of the instruments

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1670 on: November 18, 2021, 08:43:34 AM »

Change of pace, surprising to the listener, extreme syncopation, fantastic sound of the instruments

Well, all of that stuff can in fact be found in music today (and in the past).
Squ

Online LKap13

« Reply #1671 on: November 18, 2021, 10:39:00 AM »
Hey man I just really love the album. This album has been 90%+ of my entertainment past few weeks (i.e. Music, movies, TV, books, sports etc) and I'm still not tired of it

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1672 on: November 18, 2021, 10:47:04 AM »
Hey man I just really love the album. This album has been 90%+ of my entertainment past few weeks (i.e. Music, movies, TV, books, sports etc) and I'm still not tired of it

Same here. Both the artbook and vinyl have been given many hours already in my house. And later on, when I grap a nice La Trappe, I will give the reaction vid from Orullian another chance.

Though, as much as I love all the tracks, I still have some difficulty to appreciate the epic ending. The last seconds, where it ends like it starts is beautiful, but I really do mis that 'Razors Edge' feeling along the way. For now... but heck, it might age nicely.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1673 on: November 18, 2021, 10:48:47 AM »
Hey man I just really love the album.

And that’s great! :D
Squ

Offline MrMike

« Reply #1674 on: November 18, 2021, 06:58:00 PM »
Sleeping Giant is still my favorite track.  Love the riffs, vocal melodies, chorus, drumming...yeah pretty much everything.  To me, it's the most classic DT sounding song.

Bringing up the rear for me is The Alien.  Love some bits of it (especially the drum fills), but overall it just feels like a bunch of ideas thrown together and not really a cohesive song.  I also don't like its placement as the leadoff track.

My order at the moment:

1.  Sleeping Giant
2.  Answering The Call
3.  Awaken The Master
4.  A View From The Top Of The World
5.  Transcending Time
6.  Invisible Monster
7.  The Alien

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #1675 on: November 18, 2021, 07:00:51 PM »

That is great to hear. I had that experience with ADTOE, DT12 and DOT when they came out. I am enjoying DT15 but it's not hitting me like those 3 did. You feel like you are on cloud 9 when that happens.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1676 on: November 19, 2021, 12:47:22 PM »
If I had to pick my favorites this far, it would be Answering the Call (unbelievable rhythm, chordprogressions and Petrucci's solo-start sounds exact like Lie did on Awake) and Transcending Time. That song is so harmonious and brings joy in every bone of mine. Really it is a work of art.

But the funny thing is, I liked both the Alien and Invisible Monster when they came out but they sounds so much better in the frame of this album. I just can't follow the fuzz about Invisible Monster. That song keeps constantly changing in both melody and rhythm and I would never skip it, while listening to the whole album. Again.

And again.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Online LKap13

« Reply #1677 on: November 19, 2021, 01:23:23 PM »
If I had to pick my favorites this far, it would be Answering the Call (unbelievable rhythm, chordprogressions and Petrucci's solo-start sounds exact like Lie did on Awake) and Transcending Time. That song is so harmonious and brings joy in every bone of mine. Really it is a work of art.

But the funny thing is, I liked both the Alien and Invisible Monster when they came out but they sounds so much better in the frame of this album. I just can't follow the fuzz about Invisible Monster. That song keeps constantly changing in both melody and rhythm and I would never skip it, while listening to the whole album. Again.

And again.

*claps hands*

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #1678 on: November 19, 2021, 03:33:21 PM »
Even though I preferred Invisible Monster over The Alien as a single, I too follow the thought that Invisible Monster is more effective in it's album context. On the other hand The Alien is just hard for me to listen to at this point, even though it's not the one track I dislike (TT) from the album.
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Offline fluojn

« Reply #1679 on: November 20, 2021, 03:26:24 AM »
Greetings from Finland. I post here very seldom so I try to make it count.

Have listened the new record non stop driving to work from the moment it was released.
After the first listen I was feeling the same thing many have noted on this forum:
No many things were stuck to my head or stood out particularly. But being a person who
very much likes the music I already know I was sure this was going to change after listening
it more. Now being quite familiar with the record I agree with the claim that the new album
is a grower and very THICK.

Also something I feel after listening to the interviews and noting the rhythmic personality of the album
is that MM has a very big influence in the songwriting within the band. The Alien was written around the
17/16 signature Mike had in mind. Mike was adamant about including one mid-tempo song which became
the Invisible Monster. I wouldn't be surprised if A View, ATC and ATM were also built up from the rhythmic
motifs. And that leads me to a conclusion how A View as an album is one of if not THE most rhythm based
DT album. That might be the reason why some are not feeling JP, JR or JLB are not that stellar this time
around. For me A View is the most balanced effort from the band for quite some time. Every member
compliments the overall sound and make it more than the sum of it's parts.

I don't understand the complaints about album not having melody or emotion. Individuals appreciate
different things and for some a DT album without a soaring guitar solos like in Razor's Edge or Barstool Warrior
is lifeless. Same thing if JLB is not hitting those high notes he used to. I think the new album has memorable
melodic passages everywhere and also feeling the emotion. The cheerful ending theme of the Alien, ATC's
beautiful chorus, SG's tasteful last vocal passage, all of TT, the cello section from A View and so on... The
album fills me with joy from start to finish. Are the emotions like the ones I get from, say, I&W,
6DOIT or SFAM? No, but this record has an identity of it's own. Maybe I'm just easy to please, but that
is how I feel.

I'm just so happy about getting a quality album from my favorite band of all time again! DT forever  :angel: