Author Topic: ETERNALS - Spoilers Inside (On cinemas November 5th, 2021)  (Read 10342 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: ETERNALS - Spoilers Inside (On cinemas November 5th, 2021)
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2021, 06:40:37 PM »
I keep hearing buzz about phase 4 being a downturn so far, and I feel like it’s grossly premature to say that.

I hardly count BW since it technically takes place in the phase 3 timeline. Shang-Chi (as I stated in that thread) is an incredible film that easily enters the top half (maybe top 6?) of the movies, and definitely improves with a 2nd viewing. And The Eternals isn’t going over that well, but most agree that it at least trying to be different. And most of the shows have been pretty successful with generally very positive feedback.

That’s really just 2 films...one excellent, one not so much. And 4 TV shows, with What If being the only one with fairly meh feedback.

So I’m not seeing this supposed drop in quality that some sites are buzzing on.

Even before Endgame, we had a share of movies that got very “meh” feedback. Black Panther and Captain Marvel leap immediately to mind. So I think the MCU is just moving forward with the pattern of keeping up a good over arching story, with some parts being wonderful and others just being averagely entertaining.

But this might be a post for the main MCU thread
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2021, 10:03:28 PM »
It seems to me they needed the deviants to explain their non-interaction policy.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2021, 12:11:13 AM »
The Deviants were definitely not a great aspect. I enjoyed the fight scenes well enough but, again no emotional engagement.

The Sprite story was almost interesting. In the Black Hammer comics there's a character called Golden Gail who is stuck in a girl's body and she's really fucking bitter, smokes endlessly, etc. She may well be based on Sprite for all i know (I'm not well versed in superhero comics but BH is an homage to classic tropes). That could have been cool.

The mute Eternal was great and I loved the inclusion. Didn't feel at all forced but we knew nothing about her again. Her character did start to show cracks in the wider hero comics source material, however. She's a mute Flash. Ikaris is a god Superman. These super-powered characters start to lose their individuality and impact once you realise they're, you know, almost exactly the same as other characters.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2021, 12:52:12 AM »
I thought having Makkari be deaf made a lot of sense given her speed ability. The sonic booms would be deafening after all, so being dear made it easier for her to run without worrying about the sound. She was criminally underused though. Same with Druig and Gilgamesh.

If a second Eternals film happens, let's hope they really hone in on the remaining characters (and the one/two new ones as seen in the mid-credits scene) and give them solid plots/motivations.

There's been a lot of chatter about how this might have been better served as a Disney+ series with an episode focusing on an Eternal or two. I could've seen them stretch and flesh things out with an episode about Sersi and Sprite living in London, another full one about Thena and Gilgamesh, one for Druig and Kingo and their opposing lifestyles (the former becoming reclusive while the latter basks in the spotlight), one for Phastos (because he reeeeeally needed more), and one for Ajak and Ikaris. Then pepper Makkari throughout each of them as she speeds across the world through different ages of mankind gathering items for her collection.

Honestly, I would like it more if we saw then all again in a Disney+ series rather than a film, but we know they want a huge budget for it so it'll probably be another 2.5 hour film rather than a 6-episode series. Maybe we can get a prequel series starring the ones who weren't fleshed out in the film like Phastos, Makkari, and Gilgamesh?

As for my personal ranking, it lands 18th out of the 26 films released so far, but depending on how the film is recontextualized with future installments, it could move up later on.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2021, 07:15:17 AM »
One thing that I kept thinking while watching this film was, what was up with the the DC references? I can't remember them now except calling Ikaris superman, but there were a few in there.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online The Letter M

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2021, 08:06:59 AM »
One thing that I kept thinking while watching this film was, what was up with the the DC references? I can't remember them now except calling Ikaris superman, but there were a few in there.

Gilgamesh called Karun "Alfred" in relation to Kingo. I believe that was it though. Yeah it's weird that Marvel is referencing DC in-universe but they've done it before. In Raimi's Spider-Man 2, Aunt May says to Peter "you're not Superman."

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2022, 02:21:38 PM »
So this is coming to Disney+ tomorrow. Planning to re-watch it over the weekend to see if my initial impression still holds.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jammindude

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2022, 03:16:02 PM »
As it stands right now, I enjoyed it but it’s probably in the lower tier of the MCU movies overall.

However, that could change drastically depending on how they develop the larger story and it’s relevance in phase 4.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online The Letter M

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2022, 03:18:45 PM »
As it stands right now, I enjoyed it but it’s probably in the lower tier of the MCU movies overall.

However, that could change drastically depending on how they develop the larger story and it’s relevance in phase 4.

The MCU has a habit of reframing older films to become suddenly very important when it connects to something later on. I think we may see them doing that with the Eternals and their story. Having Starfox show up at the end is probably a bigger deal than we thought originally. I won't be surprised if we get some connection to the Eternals in Thor: Love And Thunder and/or The Marvels. The cosmic side of the MCU is going to take off into some wild directions by the time we get to GOTG Vol. 3 in May 2023.

-Marc.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2022, 10:56:56 PM »
Since it's free now on Disney+, we checked it out tonight.  I thought it was very entertaining.  It kept me on board for the entire 2.5 hours.  I kinda get the criticism that there were too many characters, but they were introduced one or two at a time and had distinct personalities, so there was no confusion.  A few could have been developed a little more, sure, but each had a part in the story and I liked that there were some who played larger roles and some who didn't.  In any group of people, even immortals or superheroes, there are different personalities and those who stand out more and tend to do more.

Yeah, the shift from the Deviants as primary enemies to their own creator (as far as we know) being the "bad guy" was bizarre.  But it was also unexpected and kept things moving along.  It changed the focus and was different.

That's somewhat my overall assessment.  I like that they're trying different things, and I like being surprised by things.  Maybe not a great movie overall by some standards, but it kept me interested and entertained.  I laughed at the funny, I jumped when things made me jump, I was bummed when I was supposed to be bummed.  It was an entertaining movie.  I'm not as obsessed with ranking everything as some people around here, so I'll just say that it was a worthy entry in the MCU and leave it at that.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2022, 01:33:26 AM »
Since it's free now on Disney+, we checked it out tonight.  I thought it was very entertaining.  It kept me on board for the entire 2.5 hours.  I kinda get the criticism that there were too many characters, but they were introduced one or two at a time and had distinct personalities, so there was no confusion.  A few could have been developed a little more, sure, but each had a part in the story and I liked that there were some who played larger roles and some who didn't.  In any group of people, even immortals or superheroes, there are different personalities and those who stand out more and tend to do more.

Yeah, the shift from the Deviants as primary enemies to their own creator (as far as we know) being the "bad guy" was bizarre.  But it was also unexpected and kept things moving along.  It changed the focus and was different.

That's somewhat my overall assessment.  I like that they're trying different things, and I like being surprised by things.  Maybe not a great movie overall by some standards, but it kept me interested and entertained.  I laughed at the funny, I jumped when things made me jump, I was bummed when I was supposed to be bummed.  It was an entertaining movie.  I'm not as obsessed with ranking everything as some people around here, so I'll just say that it was a worthy entry in the MCU and leave it at that.
Same, watched it yesterday and liked it a lot, agree with pretty much everything you said.

I'll also add that I liked the writing and pacing. It was slower than other MCU films for sure but that was a nice shift and worked well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2022, 04:26:24 PM »
Was way better than I expected. Felt like a DCEU film plotwise, but actually competent and fun to watch. Still not a great film or anything, but I am a bit confused at all the hate it got.

I am, however, not sure if I like this lore within the MCU. I think I would've preferred if it took place on another planet with a civilization close to humans. Earth already has had plenty of ancient threats and artefacts in this universe, it being like an egg for a giant alien god feels a bit too much.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2022, 04:50:24 PM »
I too really enjoyed Eternals. I liked it more than Black Widow. I also like the potential for the future of the MCU that this introduces.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2022, 11:27:46 PM »
I still stand by my opinion that this is easily the worst MCU film by a huge margin, and I'm borderline offended that Feige thought it was good enough to be part of the MCU. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Melphina

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2022, 06:48:50 AM »
I still stand by my opinion that this is easily the worst MCU film by a huge margin, and I'm borderline offended that Feige thought it was good enough to be part of the MCU.

Definitely near the bottom for me but still ahead of Hulk, BW, and the first two Thors at least.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2022, 08:56:02 AM »
I still think Iron Man 2 is the nadir of the MCU.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2022, 09:02:21 AM »
I am in the minority, but I think Black Widow is the worst, by a big margin. And unlike many of the other films it feels kinda useless to the MCU as a whole too. The Thors had some redeeming qualities (mainly Thor/Loki interactions) and within the MCU series as a whole they feel important and what they set up paid off (Endgame Thor stuff, for example).  Same goes for Iron Man 2, from a character point of view it does it's job well of developing Tony.

Online faizoff

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2022, 09:21:37 AM »
If I remember correctly, Favreau mentioned that there was a lot of pressure from the studio on Iron Man 2. That pushed him to not direct any more movies in MCU. Similar thing happened with Thor 2's Director Alan Taylor.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2022, 09:09:56 AM »

This sums up my feelings, as well.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2022, 09:10:53 AM »
If I remember correctly, Favreau mentioned that there was a lot of pressure from the studio on Iron Man 2. That pushed him to not direct any more movies in MCU. Similar thing happened with Thor 2's Director Alan Taylor.

And Joss Whedon with Age of Ultron.  It appears things got a lot better once Feige was given complete control.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2022, 11:35:15 AM »
Watched this weekend and definitely enjoyed it. Had low expectations, but I'm not sure they were warranted. Also, as a person attracted to men, I thoroughly enjoyed having two Stark boys back together and super happy Kit will (hopefully) be making more appearances. What I don't understand is that the Eternals are made, are they kinds droid-ish? For each "assignment" of a world, is there always a Ajak, Thena, Gilgamesh, etc? Or are they all different individual beings?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2022, 11:21:48 PM »
Good questions.  I kinda feel like we the audience learned things about the Eternals at the same time they were learning things about themselves, their purpose, and their very existence.  Most of what they thought was true about themselves was apparently wrong, or at least a large part of it.  The whole deal with Arishem and who he really is, both to the Eternals and in general, was a bit confusing.  I couldn't follow all of it.  But in true Marvel fashion, things moved along so much that mostly I didn't care.  I would like to be able to look back at the movie and be amazed at this new part of the MCU, but they kinda botched that angle.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2022, 06:10:18 AM »
I was underwhelmed by the movie and a little confused as to how they're going to fit into the MCU.  They just seem too powerful and indestructible to go head to head with the Avengers.

Certainly great seeing Kit and Richard Madden again, and Angelina Jolie as well. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2022, 07:03:44 AM »
Yeah, I wonder how it will all fit in the MCU. I know that in the comics some beings are super overpowered, but in the films I like the powerlevels to be a bit closer to each other to be honest. But then again, they mostly fought their own and some deviants, we don't know the real extent of their "powerlevels". Film makers can get away with some nerfing here and there. There are already characters such as Captain Marvel and Scarlet Witch, and in-shape Thor and on-track The Hulk. Thanos threw comets at Iron Man and co and they were fine, so it utlimately depends on how things are built up and visualised to make it believable.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2022, 10:10:27 AM »
They just seem too powerful and indestructible to go head to head with the Avengers.

They didn't seem all that powerful or indestructible to me.  Especially not those that survived the movie.  Ikarus was presented as the most powerful, but I'd say Thor could take him easily. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2022, 10:17:44 AM »
They just seem too powerful and indestructible to go head to head with the Avengers.

They didn't seem all that powerful or indestructible to me.  Especially not those that survived the movie.  Ikarus was presented as the most powerful, but I'd say Thor could take him easily.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think the Eternals are all fairly powerful but not godly. Granted, we only really saw them fight Deviants and and each other, so we can't really know how powerful they are in comparison to the other heroes in the MCU. Now, Thanos was a deviant Eternal, and brother of Eros, and he was pretty strong too, but I think the strengths of the individual Eternals varies a bit depending on their specific powers.

As for how the Eternals will fit into the future of the MCU? I think the film was just a launching pad for characters like Black Knight, Starfox, the Celestials, and the greater cosmic side of the MCU. We could see some of these characters in future titles like Thor Love & Thunder, The Marvels, Moon Knight, Blade, and pretty much any supernatural and/or space-faring  films. In the end, I think it might all lead to the introduction of Galactus, who eats planets, and planets have been shown to hold Celestial embryos, and so Galactus might be a threat to them.

-Marc.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2022, 06:40:23 PM »

Thor or Hulk or Captain Marvel or Doctor Strange or Scarlet Witch or..... You get my point.

As for how the Eternals will fit into the future of the MCU? I think the film was just a launching pad for characters like Black Knight, Starfox, the Celestials, and the greater cosmic side of the MCU. We could see some of these characters in future titles like Thor Love & Thunder, The Marvels, Moon Knight, Blade, and pretty much any supernatural and/or space-faring  films. In the end, I think it might all lead to the introduction of Galactus, who eats planets, and planets have been shown to hold Celestial embryos, and so Galactus might be a threat to them.

-Marc.
This pretty much spot on with what I think this is all leading to. Galactus seems the most plausible character to be the next big baddy. Especially given what the end of Loki is leading to and with the next Doctor Strange movie. Plus the Guardians of the Galaxy should fit in there somewhere.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2022, 05:13:37 AM »
This was kind of a chore to get through. I hope future installments will be better and more exciting.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2022, 10:17:11 AM »
I'm off work with covid so watched this again today. After second watch I can firmly say it's a right mess of a film, with some really great actors and interesting bits. But as a whole? Crrrrrrrrrap.

Loved Madden as conflicted Ikaris the most. Terrific actor and his narrative was the best thing about it. His inner turmoil and love for Serci (sp?) was really moving, I thought. The script was so dumb, though. So many things that made no sense or plain sucked. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing some of them again in future movies.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2022, 11:37:17 PM »
Just watched it tonight and I really enjoyed it. I don't go into films looking for things to complain about. I just enjoy them. People that study and dissect every little thing is crazy to me. Why bother? Reminds me of all those YouTube video titles I see like '50 things wrong with Eternals' and the like.

Anyways, I'm shocked that I am the first to mention how weird it was to see Jon Snow and Robb Stark constantly proclaim their love for Sersi (like Cersei). Should have just cast Lena Headey in that role.  :lol
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2022, 11:44:32 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 12:37:01 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2022, 12:52:29 AM »
Just watched it tonight and I really enjoyed it. I don't go into films looking for things to complain about. I just enjoy them. People that study and dissect every little thing is crazy to me. Why bother? Reminds me of all those YouTube video titles I see like '50 things wrong with Eternals' and the like.

Awesome. Glad you dug it.

I always go in looking to enjoy a movie, not rip it, and I've never looked at those kinds of YT channels. But there is more to experiencing a movie that just sitting there. If the movie hits the spot then I'm picked up and taken along with it and don't think too much about it.

A film that has obvious flaws or things that make you go hmm gets me wondering what it is that's not working for me.

In this case, the second watch revealed a bit much.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2022, 12:17:41 PM »

I always go in looking to enjoy a movie, not rip it, and I've never looked at those kinds of YT channels. But there is more to experiencing a movie that just sitting there. If the movie hits the spot then I'm picked up and taken along with it and don't think too much about it.

A film that has obvious flaws or things that make you go hmm gets me wondering what it is that's not working for me.

Same.  And I went into it as I do with other Marvel movies:  I am fully prepared to love it, or at like it considerably.  I went into this one with lowered expectations.  Honestly, I didn't expect anything after the end of phase 3 to live up to what Marvel has done so far because...well, realistically, how could it?  And it was a franchise where I went in thinking, "I have no interest in these characters whatsoever going in.  But movie after movie after movie, Marvel has taken characters I wasn't interested in seeing and did amazing things with them.  So they have more than earned my trust."  So I went in thinking I was going to meet some new characters I didn't previously care about, would grow to care about them, and would really enjoy the film.  By the time we got to the credits, I was sorely disappointed in getting a Marvel movie I wish had never been made.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2022, 02:07:50 PM »

Same.  And I went into it as I do with other Marvel movies:  I am fully prepared to love it, or at like it considerably.  I went into this one with lowered expectations.  Honestly, I didn't expect anything after the end of phase 3 to live up to what Marvel has done so far because...well, realistically, how could it?  And it was a franchise where I went in thinking, "I have no interest in these characters whatsoever going in.  But movie after movie after movie, Marvel has taken characters I wasn't interested in seeing and did amazing things with them.  So they have more than earned my trust."  So I went in thinking I was going to meet some new characters I didn't previously care about, would grow to care about them, and would really enjoy the film.  By the time we got to the credits, I was sorely disappointed in getting a Marvel movie I wish had never been made.
While I enjoyed the movie mostly, I think the characters would have been served better if this was a series that was similar in length to something like Wandavision or Loki. Could have fleshed out the characters a bit more.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2022, 05:58:31 PM »
The recent Marvel TV series feature characters from the movies, which in my mind makes them all "spinoffs".  WandaVision, Falcon & Winter Soldier, Loki, all straight from the movies.  What might have been an interesting turnabout would be a six-episode series establishing the Eternals, characters, the lore, then the three-hour feature (in Imax where available) that blows us away.  That would have been cool.