Author Topic: ETERNALS - Spoilers Inside (On cinemas November 5th, 2021)  (Read 10495 times)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: ETERNALS - Spoilers Inside (On cinemas November 5th, 2021)
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2022, 08:16:00 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 11:33:07 AM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2022, 02:33:25 AM »
Agreed. I think the root of any issues with it was that it covers masses of ground too thinly that built no explanations or reasons to care.

Theena was completely bemusing. What the fuck was that "madwiri" thing they were talking about where she goes super-fighty at everything around her? Completely unexplained and arbitrary. And they had her down as a legendary warrior. How? When? How does that fit into their existence or matter in the story?

I hated Sprite as a character. Made no sense that she was stuck in a child body. And Kingo/Gilgamesh were essentially the same except power was either fixed in the fists or as shooty-balls. Meh. And Kingo seemed to be a totally self-centred idiot.

Ajak's super power seemed to be that she loved the others.

A longer series could have shown much more of their 7000 years spent on earth and filled in background on the Eternals (and Deviants) where it was missing so it made sense.

Edit: Maybe the source story just isn't very good and they needed to have diverged from the source material more.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2022, 07:56:02 AM »
Agreed. I think the root of any issues with it was that it covers masses of ground too thinly that built no explanations or reasons to care.

Theena was completely bemusing. What the fuck was that "madwiri" thing they were talking about where she goes super-fighty at everything around her? Completely unexplained and arbitrary. And they had her down as a legendary warrior. How? When? How does that fit into their existence or matter in the story?
Thena did feel a bit underutilized and it felt like her only purpose was to introduce Mahd Wy'ry as a way of explaining their existence (of being artificial beings that have their memories wiped between Emergences). But yeah, I agree, they really didn't show us how she was a legendary warrior, only that we were told it. other than the 2 or 3 fight scenes she was showing off. In a long-form series, we could've gotten an episode focusing on her and Gilgamesh and it would've been really nice to learn more about them, individually and together. But I'd say Mahd Wy'ry was sufficiently explained by Ajak and then later on in the film once we figure out that their memories are tampered with by Arishem after every mission/Emergence.

I hated Sprite as a character. Made no sense that she was stuck in a child body. And Kingo/Gilgamesh were essentially the same except power was either fixed in the fists or as shooty-balls. Meh. And Kingo seemed to be a totally self-centred idiot.
Well I'd say Sprite was the way she was just to have a more diverse group of Eternals and as a way to have someone younger in the group that could easily identify with younger natives of any planet they are sent to. She is meant to represent a young, playful trickster type, thus her illusion casting powers. As for Kingo, he's the comic relief that you either love or hate, as I see folks really like him or just despise him, and comic relief characters are usually written that way anyway.

Ajak's super power seemed to be that she loved the others.
Ajak was the mother of the group, metaphorically speaking, but she was also their healer. We see this in their arrival on Earth when she is healing Ikaris after their first battle. And when the Deviant Cro took her life force, it gave him her healing ability, which we see when it attacks Sersi and Sprite in London, although upon first watch it's difficult to make that connection. When you know Cro has already killed Ajak by that point on a rewatch, it's pretty obvious that he's using Ajak's power, especially when Sprite realizes it was healing itself and that they never used to do that before.

A longer series could have shown much more of their 7000 years spent on earth and filled in background on the Eternals (and Deviants) where it was missing so it made sense.

Edit: Maybe the source story just isn't very good and they needed to have diverged from the source material more.

I think the last time Marvel let a film idea turn into a series, the series didn't work out too well (Inhumans, although that wasn't technically under Marvel Studios/Kevin Feige), and I'm sure Marvel wanted a big budget film for this first outing of the Eternals. I would not be surprised if the next time we see them all isn't on a limited Disney+ series, but even if we get a second film, the team is now smaller without Ajak, Ikaris, and Gilgamesh, though we now have Starfox/Eros joining the crew of the Domo on their search for Sersi/Phastos/Kingo, so who knows. If it's an entirely space-faring sequel, we may not even see Sprite since she stayed on Earth and ended up becoming mortal anyway. A smaller cast with a tigher story would greatly benefit the sequel, but it'll be at least 2024 before a sequel happens, probably even 2025, since this year and next year are all packed with previously announced films, and the film dates earmarked for 2024 will probably fall to other projects that haven't been given dates yet (Fantastic Four, Blade, Captain America 4, Deadpool 3, and a film about Mutants).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2022, 10:53:32 AM »
Pip was a rush and the VFX team admit they did not have the time to get it right. It's a 'best they could do in the time they had' kind of thing.

https://screenrant.com/marvel-eternals-pip-starfox-post-credit-scene-rushed/
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2022, 10:58:46 AM »

I'm not the hugest Eternals fan from the comics, but I've read a fair amount of them.

The movie DID diverge from the source material....a lot.

Yes, Sprite is a kid. Originally a boy, but recently turned into a girl to match the movie. There was a lot of pathos there of being stuck in a child's body for thousands of years and never being able to age. The movie just didn't it justice.

Eternals also had a different leader in the comics, not Ajak. They gender swapped a lot of them as well. Thena and Cercie were always female, but the rest were male and Marcary (I am spelling all of these terribly, I am aware, just too lazy to check the accurate ones) was a white dude who could hear/speak just fine. Most of those changes were fine and made it more interesting.

However, the Eternals are not robots. They were created by the Celestials, sure, but still living breathing biological organisms. They're called Eternals because the great machine (as they call it) continuously builds them new bodies if they die. So they can't totally die for sure, but they're still not robots. The deviants are also more intelligent in the comics. Monsters, sure, kinda dumb, sure, but they have a civilization and even enslaved humanity at one point. They were never just weird alien animals.

So some of the changes re: ethnicity and sex were fine, but the movie actually would’ve made a bit more sense if they had stuck closer to the source material.

And had a better script.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 11:15:24 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2022, 12:31:10 PM »
Thanks, guys. Some great background knowledge there.

There is a lot I liked about it. Having London as the background for Sercei was super. Love Richard Madden and Gemma Chan. (Even though it looked like the end for him I'm hoping that we see Ikaris again) Phastos' family unit was lovely. Druig and Makkari were good and I'd like to see more of them.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2022, 01:27:08 AM »
Finally watched this.
I was enjoying the movie a lot than I expected for about the first two thirds..........then the twist killed the film for me, and the final act was really weak behind that twist.  Also Gemma Chan as Sersi was so very bland in what ended up being the main protagonist.

I'd probably need a re watch down the line, but after one watch this is down with Iron Man 2, Thor 2 and Hulk as one of the weakest MCU film.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2022, 10:30:54 AM »
What happened with the giant head and hands emerging off of the earth? 3 movies after externals and no one on those 3 movies talks about that giant rock monster, why? Did it vanished?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2022, 10:44:34 AM »
Hopefully they turn it into a theme park with rollercoasters and such.

Online Adami

« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2022, 10:50:29 AM »
In the comics they turn a dead celestial into a new Avengers Tower. Doubt they’ll do that but it is curious how Eternals has largely been ignored minus a quick reference in Ms. Marvel.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2022, 04:41:59 PM »
Patton Oswalt says #Eternals2 is in development with Chloé Zhao returning to direct

(via @TheTodayShow)

Online Adami

« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2022, 05:18:22 PM »
Patton Oswalt says #Eternals2 is in development with Chloé Zhao returning to direct

(via @TheTodayShow)

Hope they better writers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2022, 05:25:49 PM »
Could be the first MCU film that is a likely skip for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2022, 05:33:21 PM »
Could be the first MCU film that is a likely skip for me.

I dunno. I get they have to save face in interviews, but I just can’t imagine Fiege and co being like “well…that movie was a critical and financial success…so let’s just not change anything this time around”

I’m hoping they paid attention to the large amount of criticism and will aim to deliver a much better movie this time around.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2022, 05:46:51 PM »
If they advertise Harry Styles being a lead in the film, it'll already have a built-in audience on his involvement alone.  :lol

I'm hopeful it'll be a good sequel. I suspect they'll announce it as one of the unknown dates in 2025 when they do their presentation at D23 next month.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online ErHaO

« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2022, 08:56:31 AM »
I did have a good time with The Eternals, while recognising all it's flaws. I think it is partially because I like (non-linear) stories that take place over long periods of time. I do dislike how it fits into the MCU quite a bit, the whole "robot" stuff and earth being an egg is just offputting to me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2022, 11:02:06 AM »
Other than Kingo as a character, there really isn't much of anything that I didn't actively dislike about this movie. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2022, 11:05:23 AM »
I think I've seen it three or four times now, and enjoy it while seeing it for the hot mess it is. I'm gonna speculate that the sequel will be very well served by not having to go through an hour of hastened introductions of the characters and concepts, and maybe can focus more on a cohesive story.