Author Topic: RIP Olivia Newton John  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Harmony

RIP Olivia Newton John
« on: August 08, 2022, 01:47:23 PM »
Posted by her husband, John Easterling

Dame Olivia Newton-John (73) passed away peacefully at her Ranch in Southern California this morning, surrounded by family and friends. We ask that everyone please respect the family’s privacy during this very difficult time.

Olivia has been a symbol of triumphs and hope for over 30 years sharing her journey with breast cancer. Her healing inspiration and pioneering experience with plant medicine continues with the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund, dedicated to researching plant medicine and cancer. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that any donations be made in her memory to the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund.

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: RIP Olivia Newton John
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 02:07:41 PM »
Well, crap.  I don't know much about her, except that she had a beautiful voice and was also a beautiful lady.  And was Australian.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 02:09:07 PM »
Oh, that's too bad.  RIP
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 02:58:52 PM »
I think many of us are at the age where our childhood heroes/famous figures are gonna start dropping like flies.  We're gonna have a new thread multiple times a week - if not daily.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Harmony

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 03:02:51 PM »
Yeah, well she fought breast cancer 3 times.  She deserves her own thread.   ;)

But yes...I know.  I just had very fond memories of her in Grease.  She was the perfect Sandy.

She also had a very controversial life.  At one point, her husband disappeared off the face of the earth and was never found.  I kind of remember a story that years later he was discovered alive and well and staged his own death for the life insurance but I never understood how someone could do that on staging their own death.  How would he have gotten the pay out? 

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 03:17:24 PM »
Ah, that's sad news. RIP, Sandra D.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 11:14:31 AM »
Interesting point brought out on the radio just now... even though the song Physical was banned by a great deal of radio stations for it's sexual connotations, the song still managed to be a hallmark track of the 80s. A tribute to how much a star she was, and the power of music video.

Anyways, a great talent lost, I echo Chad's sentiment that those of our generation need to get used to losing our heroes.

RIP Olivia  :heart

Online pg1067

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 02:57:44 PM »
the song Physical was banned by a great deal of radio stations for it's sexual connotations

I had no idea.

I also had no idea that it was written with the intent that it be sung by a "macho male rock figure like Rod Stewart" and that, before it was recorded by ONJ, it was offered to Tina Turner (yuck!).

The song came out when I was a freshman at a Catholic high school.  At some point during the fall semester, we were required by our religion teacher (a relatively young and not entirely unattractive woman (not a nun)) to memorize the books of the New Testament.  One thing she suggested was putting the books to a song lyric, and she offered extra credit to anyone who would "perform" something in class.  Perhaps ironically, someone wrote "Let's Get Biblical" to the tune of "Physical."  If only camera phones existed back then!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 04:05:41 PM »
That’s a big bummer, in her heyday a really cute girl and a nice voice. Since my wife is a cancer survivor now I have renewed appreciation for people who have gone through this.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 07:56:53 AM »
That’s a big bummer, in her heyday a really cute girl and a nice voice. Since my wife is a cancer survivor now I have renewed appreciation for people who have gone through this.

Honestly, I think she aged phenomenally; I thought she was attractive even when she wasn't in her heyday.