Author Topic: Marvel Studios' Moon Knight (Disney+) - All Episodes Now Streaming! (Spoilers!)  (Read 10332 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Granted I have never read a Moon Knight comic in my life, but I really loved this iteration of the character and felt that he (and the show overall) didn't need to be any more brutal and dark.  It took that direction much farther than any other MCU property thus far, but still somehow managed to fit with the overall tone of the MCU, and I thought that worked great.  And the stellar acting by the two male leads really sold the emotion of the show, IMO. 

I get that there's often an almost automatic bias toward how we were first introduced to something.  That's why we sometimes prefer a cover song to an original if we heard that first, or a live version to the original, or vice versa.  I think the same is true here.  You like the comic better because you were introduced to it and became emotionally invested in it long before seeing the show.  I may very likely be biased toward the show because that's how I was introduced to the character.  Or maybe the comic actually is of a much higher quality and I just don't know that yet because I haven't given it a shot.  But what I do know is that I really liked the show and this iteration of the character.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 09:33:15 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Haven't watched a single episode yet....was waiting for it all to be available so I could jam through it.....plan to do that soon.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Granted I have never read a Moon Knight comic in my life, but I really loved this iteration of the character and felt that he (and the show overall) didn't need to be any more brutal and dark.  It took that direction much farther than any other MCU property thus far, but still somehow managed to fit with the overall tone of the MCU, and I thought that worked great.  And the stellar acting by the two male leads really sold the emotion of the show, IMO.

Totally. When they announced a Moon Knight show, I was really nervous cause of how I know him, but they really redefined the character in a good way that fits well with the MCU and so forth. So I'm very happy having both versions.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
I've read that there is no real plan for a S2. Does the series stand up well as a one off?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

I've read that there is no real plan for a S2. Does the series stand up well as a one off?

I think it does, for a one season arc, most of the stuff does get addressed with a few loose threads that can be explored if needed. But it does end up at a good one off season.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I agree.  There is enough that they can easily do future seasons or use the characters in other franchises going forward.  But the major plot points were all resolved, so it works as a complete standalone with no dangling threads that aren't resolved. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

I actually have one question lingering from the finale....

...what the hell was it when he spoke in that super thick Chicago accent?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

A third personality. That’s the reason he was able to release the other two. Because it was still a third personality under “contract“
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

A third personality. That’s the reason he was able to release the other two. Because it was still a third personality under “contract“

But Jake was the third personality and he spoke Spanish, not English with a thick Chicago accent.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

Oh wait.  :facepalm: you’re right. I’ve got to go back and watch the ending again now.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Ending was fine. Had good moments, but felt a lot like "We got to do a LOT of stuff really quick and I don't care how we do it." I didn't dislike it, but felt a little underwhelmed by it.

Pretty much how I felt.  Though, I was satisfied by the end of it.  I think the series would have really benefited from 2 more episodes - that would've improved some of the pacing issues - This (and the 2nd) episode felt too rushed.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I liked that they tried something different, but overall I was a bit unsatisfied by the finale.  Too much going on that really wasn't explained well.  It's like every episode explained a few things, but presented more questions than answers.  By the end, I still don't know exactly what is supposed to be real.  Maybe that's the point, but I would've liked to have come away thinking "Ah, I get it!  That was cool the way they built up to that."  Instead it's more "Okay... so... WTF?"

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
What a mixed bag.

Really loved the first 2 episodes.
Oscar Isaac was utterly fantastic throughout.
Hated Ethan Hawke's baddie. About as charismatic and threatening as the sandals and brown pyjamas he was wearing.
All the gods stuff was awful. I just could not have given less of a shit about it. All the dialogue about the gods was dreadful, exposition drivel. It really could have been so cool. Moody, tomby... Egyptological? But was wordy, wacky, nonsensical and boring. The main conflict between the two gods was, again, so dull.

It was visually really slick. The Egypt stuff *looked* great.

Layla was engaging. Liked the comment from the girl she saved by the van.  :smiley:

Again, Oscar Isaac is amazing. But all in all, dreadful... I'd rather watch Eternals again. Fuck, I'd rather watch Thor 2 again. Super disappointed by it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline T-ski

Just finished this, went in with very little knowledge of Moon Knight and can honestly say I didn’t understand much of anything that was happening. It was definitely weird.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
#MoonKnight director Mohamed Diab and Oscar Isaac are currently in Cairo

When asked by a fan if S2 is happening, Oscar Isaac said 'Why else would we be [here] 🤨"

Offline Adami

Gonna spend the next few days doing a rewatch of the phase 4 movies minus Black Widow since I consider it (admittedly incorrectly) phase 3.

Tonight is Shang Chi. Let’s see how they are on a second watch.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I just rewatched it. Just a fun movie.  I enjoy it and it feels fresh.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

Dammit this isn’t the Marvel general thread

We have too many Marvel threads!!!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

When asked by a fan if S2 is happening, Oscar Isaac said 'Why else would we be [here] 🤨"

Maybe he went there to become the Kwisatz Haderach.  ;)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member

Maybe he went there to become the Kwisatz Haderach.  ;)
Bless the maker and his water.