Author Topic: ETERNALS - Spoilers Inside (On cinemas November 5th, 2021)  (Read 10351 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
ETERNALS - Spoilers Inside (On cinemas November 5th, 2021)
« on: October 20, 2021, 08:30:48 PM »
Reports are saying the movie has 2 post-credit scenes.

Social media embargo has been lifted I copied some of the tweets here:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: ETERNALS - Spoilers Inside (On cinemas November 5th, 2021)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 10:19:21 PM »
Thus far, phase 4 has been a bit of a let down for me.  And the reviews I have heard from the world premier were not glowing.  So I have pretty low expectations.  But that's ok.  I'm sure it'll be "fine," and that's enough.

Kinda surprised New Rockstars hasn't put out anything on it yet.  I know for a fact that Eric Voss was at the world premier in L.A.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 06:58:29 AM »
Yeah, my expectations are not very high, and hearing people say that it feels like a DC movie does not help (not a big fan of what DC has done so far). But, this could be a pleasant surprised. I will be there opening weekend (Sunday) on a 11am showing :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 07:46:29 AM »
Caught a 730 showing last night right after work and I gotta say, I quite enjoyed it. Not my favorite MCU film of the year (still Shang-Chi) but it was way better than Black Widow. The short of it, it gets somewhere between an 8.5 and 9.0 out of 10 from me.

I thought Madden and Chan killed it as the "main" leads of the film, their chemistry was really believable and I enjoyed their scenes together. Sadly because the cast is so big, there are a few Eternals who don't get enough screentime or have limited development (Thena, Awake, Makkari), but I enjoyed seeing what we got of every Eternal (including the one in mid-credits scene).

The film is SO beautifully shot, some amazing Cinematic sequences, especially in the third act, which thankfully takes place during the daytime, unlike the other action setpieces set in London and the Amazon jungle (well that may have been daytime but the foliage was so dense, it may as well have been dusk or dawn). The score wasn't a bit standout for me, to be honest, but the use of Pink Floyd at the start put a huge smile on my face!

And the post-credits scene with Dane has me amped up for his return, but who was talking to him?!? I *must* know!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 09:41:04 AM »
Glad you liked it.  I am hoping I do as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 04:48:19 PM »
Just got back, thoroughly enjoyed it. Huge in scope, so big that it seems cramped if that makes any sense, but I love stuff that's ludicrously outlandish so this fit the bill. Definitely in the upper half of the MCU, though not sure where to put it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 06:01:41 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised and I don't get the negative reviews. I'm not gonna say I was blown away but to me this movie felt a lot better than Shang Chi or Black Widow who were both just so standard-MCU with no interesting twist or added dimension to it. For me the set up of Eternals was interesting and some of the ideas in the movie such as "do we interfere or not?" felt like a nice extra dimension on top of the rest.

So far this phase I'd say Eternals > Shang Chi > Black Widow

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 06:09:51 PM »
Saw it today. Not excessive to call the film stunning. If you thought the universe was large after seeing Infinity War and Endgame, you are wrong. The scope and ambition of this film is incredible.

See it in IMAX if at all possible.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 07:08:47 PM »
Saw it today. Not excessive to call the film stunning. If you thought the universe was large after seeing Infinity War and Endgame, you are wrong. The scope and ambition of this film is incredible.

See it in IMAX if at all possible.

Yeah, the newly induced perspective of the celestials really blows things up. Love the last celestial scene where he confronts Sersei

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2021, 09:33:55 PM »
Just saw it in IMAX.  So refreshing to see something so good and so fresh. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2021, 10:26:26 AM »
Unfortunately, the AVX format screen around here was also showing it in 3D, which jingle.son and I weren't too interested in doing - so we were relegated to a 'regular' format.  The thing that sucked was that the projector wasn't calibrated properly, and there were more than a few moments you tell (ie, slightly out of focus).  None-the-less, great film.  A lot more character driven than action driven, and I appreciated that.

@ Marc's last question, jingle.son tells me it's Blade
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2021, 01:49:01 PM »
Unfortunately, the AVX format screen around here was also showing it in 3D, which jingle.son and I weren't too interested in doing - so we were relegated to a 'regular' format.  The thing that sucked was that the projector wasn't calibrated properly, and there were more than a few moments you tell (ie, slightly out of focus).  None-the-less, great film.  A lot more character driven than action driven, and I appreciated that.

My daughter confirms it's Blade.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2021, 01:53:26 PM »
Why would it be Blade?

Ohhhh. Ebony Blade…..gotcha.  :laugh:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2021, 02:03:54 PM »
I liked the movie. It was dense with lots of dialogue but that was a good thing. Wouldn't say is a top MCU movie but is not as bad as reviews are making it seem.

I had a few issues with it, specially that some scenes felt disconnected, but overall an enjoyable movie. Looking forward to watching it again at some point.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2021, 02:05:10 PM »
Why would it be Blade?

My kid said it was confirmed as Mahershala Ali's voice.

Online Adami

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2021, 02:15:17 PM »
Why would it be Blade?

Had to look it up but looks like you’re right. No idea why Blade would be there though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2021, 02:19:58 PM »
Why would it be Blade?

Had to look it up but looks like you’re right. No idea why Blade would be there though.

Kit's character is the Black Knight, and I guess the two are comic related or something.

Online Adami

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2021, 02:30:11 PM »
Not aware of anything but who knows?

Anyway. I enjoyed the film but it did have some real problems and there’s some things I would change. I’d give it a 7? Something like that.

Also the CGI on that post credits character was…..shockingly bad. I am genuinely surprised.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2021, 07:51:29 PM »

It’s not blade. It’s Astral Merlin
My daughter confirms it's Blade.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2021, 04:15:44 AM »
Articles I’m reading suggest that Chloe herself confirmed it was Mahershala Ali / Blade.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2021, 08:35:28 AM »
Articles I’m reading suggest that Chloe herself confirmed it was Mahershala Ali / Blade.
Yes, it was Mahershala Ali.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2021, 04:36:45 PM »
Just came back. Not sure what to say about it. Wasn't bad. Was certainly quite different, and that's a good thing, but wasn't especially affecting.

Liked a lot of the actors' performances. There's a lot of characters in there.

About the same as Black Widow for me but deserves an extra point for trying something unusual.

Mid end credits scene - drunken cgi gnome and another character. Didn't care about this one bit.
End end credits scene - more intriguing. I don't know any of these characters, though.

I'll be watching Shang Chi on Disney+ at the weekend.

EDIT: Finding myself thinking about Eternals a lot this morning. The thing Marvel continues to do well is the character work. I cared about most of the characters, I realise.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 01:18:06 AM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2021, 06:53:06 AM »
Yeah, the acting and characters were great. The only one I did not care for was (A)thena. Nothing wrong with the acting, but the character did not do much for me. I wished we would've seen more of Ajak.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2021, 06:57:44 AM »
Really not sure why this movie is being panned by "critics" both formal and informal (ie, Rotten Tomotoes).  I thought it was upper-middle of the pack for the MCU.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2021, 07:13:48 AM »
Really not sure why this movie is being panned by "critics" both formal and informal (ie, Rotten Tomotoes).  I thought it was upper-middle of the pack for the MCU.
Same here.  Definitely more character work/conversation than in many Marvel films, but it didn't skimp on action or spectacle.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2021, 08:59:37 AM »

The two main criticisms seem to be:  It's too different from other Marvel movies, or It's exactly the same as other Marvel movies.  Yes, these are mutually contradictory.  I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know which, if either, of these 2 positions are valid.  I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2021, 06:45:39 AM »
Finally got to see this on Tuesday. I liked it. It wasn't upper tier MCU by nay stretch, but it was a solid entry. It was beautifully shot and the acting was tp notch. My only complaint was that I felt the CGI was sub-par. The semi-human Deviant guy didn't look very good and that dude in the mid-credits scene was awful. I'll be honest, I'm kind of glad they killed off a few of the Eternals, but it was too many people to do justice to. Future films will have fewer characters to focus on and I think that will make them better.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2021, 09:19:56 PM »
Finally saw this tonight. I thought it was really good.

One thing I started to wonder was, if the earth was acting as a sort of incubator for this celestial, is his entire body still half of submerged in the earths crust/core? Did she just turn the entire earths core into a giant block of ice?

Now that I understand that the end credit scene involved Blade, I’m wondering what the boyfriends character has to do with it?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2021, 11:04:13 PM »
Finally saw this tonight. I thought it was really good.

One thing I started to wonder was, if the earth was acting as a sort of incubator for this celestial, is his entire body still half of submerged in the earths crust/core? Did she just turn the entire earths core into a giant block of ice?

Now that I understand that the end credit scene involved Blade, I’m wondering what the boyfriends character has to do with it?

I thought she turned him into stone. No matter, it's one of those things where we need to ignore the basic physics of it since it'd probably rip the earth apart.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2021, 03:13:21 PM »
Saw it last night.  Visually, it was stunning.  Felt like the humor was pretty understated for a Marvel film, and when they went for a joke, it usually landed.  And I applaud them for finding a nice balance in trying to do something that is different for the MCU, while having just enough connective tissue to feel connected. 

That said, it was just not a "good" movie.  Easily my least favorite movie in the MCU, and didn't at all feel like MCU quality.  The writing itself seemed poorly done, and while it seemed like they were trying to keep the threat ambiguous to try to keep the audience unsure of what the ultimate threat actually was, the movie never seemed to do enough to make me feel like the writers were confident in defining the threat.  It just felt like an incohesive mess. 

And another thing this film had a problem with is that it introduced far too many new characters for one film.  There wasn't time to develop them, and as a result, I didn't care about any of them.  The MCU has done a FAR better job with teams of heroes in past films.  All of the Avengers-centric films benefitted from individual characters having solo films or appearing in other films so that when you got to the team-up films, you didn't have an entire team that was entirely new.  The notable exception is Guardians of the Galaxy, where they dumped a whole team of previously-unknown characters on us all in one film.  But a few key differences made it work:  (1) There were only 5 guardians, rather than 9 eternals.  Even 5 is stretching it and often could be too much.  9 just compounds that problem.  (2) Gunn just did a fantastic job writing the characters to give them development.  Draxx and Groot were a bit understated and one-note, but that was fine.  We got enough to understand who they were and what their motivations were, but they were designed to be more "support" members of the team, and it worked.  But overall, the characters were written incredibly well.  (3)  The plot itself was well written, and served the characters well.  It didn't try to do too much, but the conflict was defined and understandable, and the stakes were such that you cared about the outcome.  In short, Gunn didn't try to do too much, and did what he did VERY well.  In contrast, Chloe Zhao and her team tried to do far too much, and overall executed it very poorly. 

There are other things I disliked about the film that probably aren't worth getting into and debating.  But overall, this this film was a fail and confirms where I feared the MCU is heading.  Marvel gave us an unprecedented three phases of pretty spectacular storytelling.  But they are no longer "must-see" going forward.  And probably some storylines I will avoid. 

Overall rating:  Probably a 2/10.  No interest in seeing it again or acknowledging it as part of the MCU.  I consider it to be a serious misstep by Marvel on so many levels.  Highly disappointing, even going in with pretty low expectations. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 03:18:28 PM by bosk1 »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2021, 04:33:31 PM »
Ouch. Sorry to hear it was such a letdown.

I'm really curious to see how I feel about it when I watch it again (whenever it streams on D+).

I felt similar to you in some ways but have found myself thinking about some of it positively afterwards.

I didn't like: the opening battle scene where all the Eternals are fighting, smirking and generally looking ridiculously smug. Not an attractive look.

Nor the Indian Eternal. Seemed like his super power was being annoying.

Nor the child eternal. Not.a Scrappy Doo size annoyance but hard to care about her.

Gemma Chan and Richard Madden (names right?) were both attractive and charismatic in the extreme. Could watch them all day.

Curious to see what Marvel do over the next couple of years and what kind of world they conjure up. Seems impossible to build any level of commitment from people approaching IW/EG but they're so capable, I'm confident that they can deliver something compelling. These first two movies have not been amazing, imo, but Wanda and Loki hit the target for me. Spidey and Strange should leave a mark with their next movies. If they manage that, we'll be ok, I suspect.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2021, 04:53:03 PM »
Like someone mentioned earlier, they did “thin the heard”. 3 died and 1 became human. And while I’m sure that gives Sprite a chance to appear in an older form, I don’t know what kind of powers she’ll have. That only leaves 5 left.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2021, 05:37:40 PM »
Like someone mentioned earlier, they did “thin the heard”. 3 died and 1 became human. And while I’m sure that gives Sprite a chance to appear in an older form, I don’t know what kind of powers she’ll have. That only leaves 5 left.

And that's kind of indicative of the problem.  3 of the 10 (I mistakenly said 9 earlier) died, and I didn't really care.  It basically went:
-Ajak dies.  Reaction:  Oh.  I think I might have liked the character if I knew more about her.  But I don't.  Kinda surprised that they would get Salma Hayak and kill her off right away.  So...I guess that's unexpected.  But I feel absolutely nothing from this.
-Gilgamesh dies.  Reaction:  Kinda glad, actually.  He seemed like a character I should have liked.  But his dialog was written so poorly that I lost count of the eyerolls after some of his lines.  But I was kinda on the way to being touched by his relationship with Thena.  Still, I mostly feel nothing.
-Ikaris dies.  Reaction:  That would actually be a poetic, clever ending for him if only I cared for his character at all.  But I don't.

When Vision, Tony, Natasha, and Gamorra died, there was an emotional impact.  And, yeah, it's almost unfair to compare because we had many years and several films to get attached to those characters.  But that's the point.  The emotion was earned with those characters.  There was no emotional connection earned with any of the Eternals.  If you want to do single-film appearances, I definitely felt more of an impact from Quicksilver's death.  Or Skurge.  Or Yinsin.  But I just didn't care enough about the Eternals to feel much of anything.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2021, 05:47:14 PM »
I only disagree about Gilgamesh.   His character was noble. I cared that he had the cooking passion while taking care of Thena.

I wish we had more of his back story.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2021, 06:06:27 PM »
I enjoyed the film a lot more than you Bosk, but I totally get your issues with them and largely agree. I've been thinking about it, and I realized what I would change about the movie to make it better (in my eyes at least).

In no real order....

1) Agreed about too many characters. I'd consolidate and merge a few. For instance, I'd merge Gilgamesh and Druig. I really loved both characters, but I think you could have easily made them one character and saved some time. Also Sprite and Kingo. This one hurts since I also loved both. In the comics, there's a whole thing where Sprite is a child star. Could've done that with someone filming her and combining those elements.
2) Have the Eternals already know the celestial plan and instead of discovering it, turn against them because of their love of humanity. This allows the exact same dynamics, where some fight against the celestials, Ikaris fights for them, maybe Sprite or whatever does the Kingo thing and peaces out, but it cuts a TON of the needless exposition.
3) Do something....anything....with the Deviants. It felt like the first 2/3 of the movie was that they had to stop the Deviants, then the last 3rd just shifted gears to a totally new plot and still had Deviants that no longer served any actual purpose. If the Deviant hadn't shown up at the end, it wouldn't have made any difference at all.
4) Honestly, just a tighter script. The directing was beautiful. Acting was good. Etc. But the story was just....spread too thin and didn't leave much to leave a big impact.
fanticide.bandcamp.com