Author Topic: New Sonic Perspectives JP Interview  (Read 8091 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New Sonic Perspectives JP Interview
« on: October 17, 2021, 01:39:42 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLP4IiZMCQs

Most notable nugget for me was him talking about postponing the tour.
The band was split on touring or not touring with JP and JM wanting to tour, but the other guys didn't. I found this interesting, but I found it VERY interesting that JP gave us the battle lines on it.

Timestamp here:
https://youtu.be/GLP4IiZMCQs?t=1192
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kram

Re: New Sonic Perspectives JP Interview
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 03:11:38 PM »
Very interesting.  Thanks for the link TAC

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 03:18:38 PM »
Whoa, Jordan mentioned the band having different opinions about postponing on the latest Prog Report podcast, but I never thought it was JP and JM against the other three.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 03:25:50 PM »
Doesn't surprise me JP wanted to tour. And I understand why JLB would be concerned, also Jordan.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 03:31:10 PM »
Ultimately, I think they're going to have a better turnout next year when people can get their kids vaccinated and are feeling more adventurous in the harder hit states. It might work out great for me, who is probably going to love DT15 but couldn't make the original date.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 03:31:27 PM »
Whoa, Jordan mentioned the band having different opinions about postponing on the latest Prog Report podcast

I'd love to hear his talk about that. Can anyone find the spot?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 03:41:11 PM »
Whoa, Jordan mentioned the band having different opinions about postponing on the latest Prog Report podcast

I'd love to hear his talk about that. Can anyone find the spot?

https://youtu.be/wpYWokjWYss?t=253 :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 03:57:39 PM »
Thanks G! That's interesting.

I'm frankly shocked at how JP framed this.

I wonder why he and JM just wouldn't go out and play JP's solo stuff if they wanted to tour that much. Maybe a string of East Coast dates.  ;D

Offline Obsidian Pancake

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 04:06:06 PM »
Certainly a tough and saddening decision for them to make. Especially with the excitement and energy of a new album. Never heard of this Sonic Perspective entity. Anybody know anything about them?

Our family got COVID-19 a couple of weeks ago. There are 5 of us and we all had a different experience from "meh" to lying in bed for a week with headache, fever, no taste/smell, feeling short of breath, etc. We're all good now. However, I just spoke to one of the neighbors a couple of days ago and found out the 39 year old guitarist in his band passed away from COVID, leaving behind a family. Hard to know how it will affect you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 04:14:41 PM »
Wow that's fucked.

Glad to hear you guys recovered.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 04:25:25 PM »
Certainly a tough and saddening decision for them to make. Especially with the excitement and energy of a new album. Never heard of this Sonic Perspective entity. Anybody know anything about them?

Our family got COVID-19 a couple of weeks ago. There are 5 of us and we all had a different experience from "meh" to lying in bed for a week with headache, fever, no taste/smell, feeling short of breath, etc. We're all good now. However, I just spoke to one of the neighbors a couple of days ago and found out the 39 year old guitarist in his band passed away from COVID, leaving behind a family. Hard to know how it will affect you.

Was he vaccinated?

Offline dtrocker25

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 04:55:50 PM »
Really odd that a tour was even announced and tickets were sold in many venues if that discussion of canceling came up..they had to have talked about it a month earlier ..still think there is something more to it..hell  Jordan has already been out there doing shows

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 05:02:41 PM »
Really odd that a tour was even announced and tickets were sold in many venues if that discussion of canceling came up..they had to have talked about it a month earlier ..still think there is something more to it..hell  Jordan has already been out there doing shows

Jordan started his answer king of strangely. Saying the decision was "beyond words" and "something I wouldn't want to get into".

I wonder if there's a crack forming..

Online geeeemo

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 05:07:40 PM »
I personally think James is probably the one who really doesn't want to tour. He's concerned about getting ill and how it could be super detrimental to his singing. He mentioned something to that effect in an interview I listened to. Before the tour was announced. It wasn't a comment about DT's tour specifically, but about how it would be horrible for a vocalist. And in a little video Mike had about his drumming clinics, he mentioned the cancelled tour in passing, and I got the impression he wasn't totally into the postponement. I could be wrong though, it was just what I thought when he made his comment.

Online geeeemo

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 05:09:20 PM »

Jordan started his answer king of strangely. Saying the decision was "beyond words" and "something I wouldn't want to get into".

I would hate if something like this created a problem in the band that really has been going great, even with the MP issue.

Offline bigmclargehuge

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2021, 05:11:38 PM »
I dont know. It’s just a bummer all around, regardless of the reason(s). I really regret buying tickets and just want a refund. I don’t see how playing a tour in February is going to work any better at all.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2021, 05:15:12 PM »
You are all  just reading too much.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Kram

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2021, 05:31:37 PM »
I'm with you on this.  I mean, they had to have already hashed this stuff out and all agreed to tour before announcing the tour and selling tickets, right?  Is it possible that JP made this decision on his own, without getting everyone's OK?  It's just really strange to me that they'd announce a tour, then like a month later postpone it... and I don't see how in February everything is going to magically be OK

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2021, 06:31:14 PM »

I would hate if something like this created a problem in the band that really has been going great, even with the MP issue.

I don't think so. In the interview with Jordan I linked above, he talks about this being such a strange time for going out on tour and that it's really different going out on his own vs taking the whole band + crew, etc. He also says even though there were different opinions from the band members, he thinks it was the right choice.

Offline Obsidian Pancake

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2021, 07:55:52 PM »

Was he vaccinated?

Thanks TAC.

Barstool Warrior: He wasn't. My partner and I are both 32 and were vaccinated 6+ months ago. My partner said  her experience was about a 5/10 on the suck scale, and for me it was a 3/10. Our 3 kids are 14 & under, all unvaccinated, and just ended up with some headaches and temporary loss of smell and taste.

Everyone lost their sense of smell on a different day, and the way to confirm it was to stick your head in the trash can and take a big whiff. One day my partner, with her head in the trash bin violently sniffing like a dog, calls me over to check if the trash smells and she's not just being paranoid. I go in deep with a big whiff and about threw up! It was disgusting.

Back to the band - really tough decision. I'll be sure to see them when they do make it out. We (Arizona) were their first stop on the US tour!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2021, 09:33:45 PM »
I personally think James is probably the one who really doesn't want to tour. He's concerned about getting ill and how it could be super detrimental to his singing. He mentioned something to that effect in an interview I listened to. Before the tour was announced. It wasn't a comment about DT's tour specifically, but about how it would be horrible for a vocalist. And in a little video Mike had about his drumming clinics, he mentioned the cancelled tour in passing, and I got the impression he wasn't totally into the postponement. I could be wrong though, it was just what I thought when he made his comment.

This is what I feel is the most plausible reason, and I do not blame JLB at all. Every interview I have seen where he discusses his voice, he is very concerned with taking good care of it and doing everything possible to prevent any sort of damage. And this is one thing I think he established after his incident.

The silver lining(pun intended) to all of this is that his vocals will be better than before. He has had a lot more time to rest his vocals and I bet he also is noticing how much a difference this longer, unintended break has been beneficial for his vocals.

I understand if he doesn't want to risk even doing anything to his vocals, which is a possibility if he does get this sickness.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2021, 10:07:30 PM »
Just listened to the interview and John actually seems kind of borderline bitter that the other guys didn't want to tour.  :eek

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2021, 10:17:48 PM »
Not sure if discussed, I don't have time to watch. Was it the band's final call to postpone? I had thought something of that level would be made by management, or the promoters. I don't know how all this works. Do we know either way definitively? If it was made by a 3-2 majority of the band, it changes how I feel about it. There seem to be so many events taking place, such that a cancelled tour is by far the exception, not the rule. But I am not a concert guy so maybe I am wrong?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2021, 10:41:38 PM »
Not sure if discussed, I don't have time to watch. Was it the band's final call to postpone? I had thought something of that level would be made by management, or the promoters. I don't know how all this works. Do we know either way definitively? If it was made by a 3-2 majority of the band, it changes how I feel about it. There seem to be so many events taking place, such that a cancelled tour is by far the exception, not the rule. But I am not a concert guy so maybe I am wrong?

He mentioned the many events taking place, how some of his friends were also touring, and that they were considering doing everything possible that they can do to be able to tour. But, in the end a unanimous decision was made and JP and JM were outvoted 3-2. Which they are fortunate they have 5 members to make a unanimous vote decision. The sonic perspectives guy did a great job though to get JP's spirits uplifted at least by saying how much the fans will still be there when the band returns to touring, having their back and rocking out to the new album.

This push also allows people to digest the album more, which is beneficial for those like myself whom were going to see one of their first shows. Not much time to know the album much unless you consistently listen to the album.

I am very bummed as much as JP seems to be, but I am also looking at the good that can come from postponing just a bit longer. Such as getting to know the album and hearing how well JLB's voice is gonna sound now that he has gotten a lot of time to rest, which may possibly be the longest he has gone for resting his vocals.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2021, 11:40:27 PM »
I wouldn't worry guys.  I'm still waiting for them to come back to Australia after it was postponed a year and a half ago.  Eventually cancelled and just got my money back about a month ago.  :tup
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2021, 04:37:05 AM »
Can't see the decision to tour / not tour being something that kills the band . . .

They've been around since 1985. I'm sure they've had way worse arguments before...

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2021, 10:49:46 AM »

I think you're wrong. Anecdotal but of all the concerts I have tickets to, more than half canceled. Of the other concerts I'm seeing, nearly all have had to cancel at least one show and many have had to cancel more or the whole tour.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2021, 12:13:24 PM »
I really don't think JP minds having a democracy and being outvoted. Kotowboy is right, they've probably straight up argued over contentious decisions in the past. I'm sure JP got an earful from everyone in the opposite camp when they had their little rows during the FII era and it turned out fans hated the decisions JP voted for on that album. He and JM probably just think that now is as safe as it gets and February won't make much of a difference.

Nice of him and JR to throw us a bone by giving more than the PR answer and being honest with their feelings, but we shouldn't read anything super apocalyptic into it.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2021, 12:22:17 PM »
Yeah, the only way I see things scalating to a real problem within the band would be if they wanted to postpone AGAIN. Then it would get kind of messy.

Offline rab7

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2021, 12:50:46 PM »
But, in the end a unanimous decision was made and JP and JM were outvoted 3-2.

I'm a little confused. I thought unanimous would mean 5-0?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2021, 01:23:30 PM »
The NMB and other bands postponed their tour to February, so I wonder if this has any influence or pressure on DT's decision to do the same? 
At least the NMB band allready has their new dates posted.  DT'S managment or promoters must be having a logistical nightmare trying to secure the same venues for later dates. Being that the venues that DT are playing are somewhat larger with more traffic going through them.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2021, 01:44:28 PM »
But, in the end a unanimous decision was made and JP and JM were outvoted 3-2.

I'm a little confused. I thought unanimous would mean 5-0?

You're right, unanimous would mean they would all agree, which clearly wasn't the case. Interesting to see it was the John's who wanted to tour, though I this split decision doesn't affect relationships within the band. Not saying it has or will, just hoping it hasn't or won't. Hopefully things will work out with the delayed tour dates.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2021, 02:22:20 PM »
This will free up JP to play on Devin Townsends album

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2021, 02:44:08 PM »

Planning a tour happens a lot earlier than when it gets announced.  They probably planned this back in late spring when it looked like Covid was on retreat and then they probably started having the discussion of cancellation when this spike was at it's worse.  Just my guess.  I think the timing might make more sense when you think about how long the planning takes before fans even hear about it.

As for JLB to be worried about his voice, has there been any cases of covid infections causing vocal harm?  I guess it's possible since it almost seems like anything is with this virus, but lots of noteable singers have had covid and it did not impact their vocals post recovery.  Corey Taylor comes to mind who's singing was fantastic recently and he said his covid battle was the worst illness of his life. 

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2021, 03:28:37 PM »

As for JLB to be worried about his voice, has there been any cases of covid infections causing vocal harm?  I guess it's possible since it almost seems like anything is with this virus, but lots of noteable singers have had covid and it did not impact their vocals post recovery.  Corey Taylor comes to mind who's singing was fantastic recently and he said his covid battle was the worst illness of his life.

I can't fault him for not wanting to take the chance. What if he were the first case of a person with blown out vocal cords due to COVID?