Author Topic: New Sonic Perspectives JP Interview  (Read 8044 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: New Sonic Perspectives JP Interview
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2021, 01:55:07 PM »
I'm actually happy that JP feels he can be upfront with internal disagreements like this. I've felt that for a while the band has been overly diplomatic to the point of it coming off as completely disingenuous.

For what it's worth, I have discussed various issues with the band face to face and have never felt that they were disingenuous.  There is a difference between being tactful or diplomatic and being disingenuous. 

I haven't heard of any outbreaks from concerts.  But most were outdoors which means that's much less likely, and the indoor ones here all have required vaccinations or negative tests (only just recently have they switches to vaccines only).  All of these steps make it less likely for outbreaks and likely why most tours are happening. 

While what you say is generally true, being outdoors in and of itself is not the magic ingredient.  Being outdoors and social distancing together mitigate the possibility of spread.  Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable being at, say an outdoor festival where you are jammed together like sardines with other people.  In that type of setting, the fact of being outdoors is all but pointless.  You are breathing other people's exhalation long before any Covid particles/droplets have any chance of dissipating.  Honestly, this is one of the few contexts where I can say I am glad DT are playing seated venues.  I would rather be indoors and have a bit of space from my neighbor than be jammed together in a pit.  Being vaccinated, I am 100% comfortable with the miniscule risk in a seated environment. 

Talking this out, I am wondering whether the band will do meet-and-greets or aftershows, and if so, if they will require masks.  I'll have to ask JP what the plan is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2021, 01:59:29 PM »
Ya, I should add, at Megadeth very few were wearing masks. And with the moshing, I thought eek, lots of spit and sweat. But, we didn't seem to get an outbreak. It's all quite varied.

I haven't heard of any outbreaks from concerts.  But most were outdoors which means that's much less likely, and the indoor ones here all have required vaccinations or negative tests (only just recently have they switches to vaccines only).  All of these steps make it less likely for outbreaks and likely why most tours are happening.  There are bumps along the way.  Regardling the Megadeth tour, the Trivium manager got covid and they only just recently shared that, but managed to not miss any shows as the spread was limited to just the manager.  This is, IMO, how vaccines actually work.  It doesn't make it a 0 risk, but it reduces it so much that the spread is limited.

That's not your opinion, that's exactly how things work, not just with vaccines, but with any drug, medical procedure etc. That's how biology works.
We don't work with 100%, but we try to work with high levels of statistical significance.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2021, 04:29:25 PM »
I've been to concerts this year for bands with perceived liberal or leftist fan bases, both indoor and outdoor shows, and nary a person was wearing a mask.
The indoor shows were curiously low in attendance also.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2021, 04:33:28 PM »

The DT shows were selling pretty poorly too. At least in Boston.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2021, 04:50:40 PM »

Umphrey's McGee in Port Chester, NY a couple of weeks ago had a ton of empty seats. No one except staff and maybe one or two other people I saw, were wearing masks. Going to the restroom then grabbing a drink at the bar took no more than 4-5 minutes.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2021, 05:38:12 PM »
I don't know...I went to Megadeth in an outdoor venue. I was in the pit and hardly anyone were wearing masks, there were people whom were. Those who did not were buzzed, I ended up almost getting peed on by this drunk guy who decided to whip it out and release right in the pit. I don't know what happened after because I saw him reach down and I immediately split to the other side of the pit. I also saw a lot of people passed out drunk.

I then went to the Unleash The Archers show at a small venue that was packed to the brim with about 100-200 people. There were guys not masked at all making a mosh-pit which pretty much was the entire venue size, screaming and yelling away. I kept mine on, but lowered it mid set, and the band didn't seem to mind at all. They were actually making fists with people, and these unmasked guys. No vaccine passport or negative test required.

It's looking like now it's up to whomever wants to take that risk, and many people are by attending the shows. Even the musician themselves know that risk and are catching it and dealing with it.

But, also, Dream Theater are not easily replaceable as their music is so complex to learn a full set worth of songs on such a short notice. The vocalist you could find a temporary much easier, but it does change the tone of the band and in Dream Theater's case, it changes the tone immensely. At least, that's what The Shattered Fortress shows revealed to me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2021, 05:38:40 PM »

It would have sold out instantly if they would have announced it was to celebrate the 5th anniversary tour of The Astonishing. They missed the boat big time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2021, 05:40:31 PM »

It would have sold out instantly if they would have announced it was to celebrate the 5th anniversary tour of The Astonishing. They missed the boat big time.

Oh totally.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2021, 09:22:58 PM »
I don't blame JP for feeling this way. Musicians are getting the shaft and it's time that they should be able to make a living too.  If I was in their shoes, that's a risk I'm willing to take. Who in their right mind really wants to keep living like this? 

People that dont want to suffer the long term debilitating effects of covid generally
Isn't that what vaccinations are for?  If people are that worried about it then stay home, it's all good. 

...and that's exactly what James, Mike, and Jordan felt apparently. But you don't seem like you really mean, "it's all good." You seem kinda mad about it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2021, 02:02:36 AM »
I don't blame JP for feeling this way. Musicians are getting the shaft and it's time that they should be able to make a living too.  If I was in their shoes, that's a risk I'm willing to take. Who in their right mind really wants to keep living like this? 

People that dont want to suffer the long term debilitating effects of covid generally
Isn't that what vaccinations are for?  If people are that worried about it then stay home, it's all good. 

...and that's exactly what James, Mike, and Jordan felt apparently. But you don't seem like you really mean, "it's all good." You seem kinda mad about it.
I'm not mad, I can feel JP's frustration though and wanting to promote their new album.  Remember now, you're the Madman here..    ;D
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2021, 06:13:03 AM »

I'm not mad, I can feel JP's frustration though and wanting to promote their new album.  Remember now, you're the Madman here..    ;D

Haha. Indeed. I understand how JP feels but also understand the others. I'm vaccinated but wasnt feeling great about going to the show. Kinda relieved it was canceled but doubt it'll be much better in a few months.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2021, 06:51:50 AM »
Vaccinations prevent you from getting the full force of the virus. You can still get mild symptoms but you won't be in as much danger as without being double jabbed...

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2021, 10:10:05 AM »
Vaccinations prevent you from getting the full force of the virus. You can still get mild symptoms but you won't be in as much danger as without being double jabbed...

Had a friend hospitalized even though he was vaxxed. I can't remember the exact statistic but they are saying something like a quarter of vaxxed people with breakthrough cases still have long covid symptoms.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2021, 10:47:49 AM »

Had a friend hospitalized even though he was vaxxed. I can't remember the exact statistic but they are saying something like a quarter of vaxxed people with breakthrough cases still have long covid symptoms.
Yikes, I hope you're friend is ok.   I also see what you're saying about things not changing much by early next year. It makes me wonder if the DT tour will get postponed again at that point?  If so, I hope it doesn't cause a rift in the band.   I'm sure by then, they will probably just go for it anyway. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2021, 08:42:38 PM »

Yikes, I hope you're friend is ok.   I also see what you're saying about things not changing much by early next year. It makes me wonder if the DT tour will get postponed again at that point?  If so, I hope it doesn't cause a rift in the band.   I'm sure by then, they will probably just go for it anyway.

I'm thinking it will be. Another concert I was going to was postponed and I just opted for the refund. I think I'm going to hang on to my DT ticket because its 5th row center

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2021, 09:49:46 PM »
Was listening to a Matt Heafy stream today, and he was talking about how they are completely in a "bubble" on tour because they can't risk someone getting Covid, and then having to cancel a string of shows during the 14 day quarrantine period.  It got me thinking that when DT hit the road, they will probably mostly do the same.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were no meet-&-greets, after shows, etc.  Kinda bums me out.  But it is what it is. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2021, 03:39:09 AM »

Not saying this is true for everyone - but it's mostly cause they already have an underlying condition.

Quote from: Bossky
Was listening to a Matt Heafy stream today, and he was talking about how they are completely in a "bubble" on tour because they can't risk someone getting Covid, and then having to cancel a string of shows during the 14 day quarrantine period.  It got me thinking that when DT hit the road, they will probably mostly do the same.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were no meet-&-greets, after shows, etc.  Kinda bums me out.  But it is what it is.

I read that the side band of one of Maiden - British Lion ?? Cancelled a tour with THE DARKNESS as they had 'unacceptable safety measures'...

I can see that from The Darkness. Justin seems like he'd be a d--k in real life.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2021, 04:00:39 AM »
We don't know if any of the band members actually have underlying conditions. Given that the virus is actually more virulent against older people, maybe that factored in the "split" as well.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2021, 09:00:55 AM »

Not saying this is true for everyone - but it's mostly cause they already have an underlying condition

Nope. He was a bigger guy though meaning tall. I think it tends to affect larger men more harshly. Knew another big guy that was hospitalized with it before vaccines were available.

But "underlying conditions" is so vague. I'm a relatively healthy guy with mild asthma. If you want to get nitpicky, almost everyone has an underlying condition.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2021, 09:06:04 AM »

It's kind of rare for bands to tour without their "bubble" right now.  I fully expect DT to not interact directly with fans at this point.  Having said that, there are some examples of bands still doing meet and greets or chatting by the tour bus with fans, but it's not common and IMO probably not the best idea from a safety of the tour perspective (even though I personally have engaged in such actions).