Author Topic: New Sonic Perspectives JP Interview  (Read 8122 times)

Offline geeeemo

Re: New Sonic Perspectives JP Interview
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2021, 03:54:34 PM »

As for JLB to be worried about his voice, has there been any cases of covid infections causing vocal harm?  I guess it's possible since it almost seems like anything is with this virus, but lots of noteable singers have had covid and it did not impact their vocals post recovery.  Corey Taylor comes to mind who's singing was fantastic recently and he said his covid battle was the worst illness of his life.

I can't fault him for not wanting to take the chance. What if he were the first case of a person with blown out vocal cords due to COVID?

I think it has to do with breathing. Lungs can be damaged. I have been hospitalized 3 times in my life with pneumonia. Even with much cardio training, my lack of breath is always my weak link in fitness.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2021, 04:06:43 PM »
Certainly a tough and saddening decision for them to make. Especially with the excitement and energy of a new album. Never heard of this Sonic Perspective entity. Anybody know anything about them?

Our family got COVID-19 a couple of weeks ago. There are 5 of us and we all had a different experience from "meh" to lying in bed for a week with headache, fever, no taste/smell, feeling short of breath, etc. We're all good now. However, I just spoke to one of the neighbors a couple of days ago and found out the 39 year old guitarist in his band passed away from COVID, leaving behind a family. Hard to know how it will affect you.

Was he vaccinated?

Thanks TAC.

Barstool Warrior: He wasn't. My partner and I are both 32 and were vaccinated 6+ months ago. My partner said  her experience was about a 5/10 on the suck scale, and for me it was a 3/10. Our 3 kids are 14 & under, all unvaccinated, and just ended up with some headaches and temporary loss of smell and taste.

Everyone lost their sense of smell on a different day, and the way to confirm it was to stick your head in the trash can and take a big whiff. One day my partner, with her head in the trash bin violently sniffing like a dog, calls me over to check if the trash smells and she's not just being paranoid. I go in deep with a big whiff and about threw up! It was disgusting.

Back to the band - really tough decision. I'll be sure to see them when they do make it out. We (Arizona) were their first stop on the US tour!

The real question is:
Was this person previously infected?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2021, 05:06:04 PM »
Not sure if discussed, I don't have time to watch. Was it the band's final call to postpone? I had thought something of that level would be made by management, or the promoters. I don't know how all this works. Do we know either way definitively? If it was made by a 3-2 majority of the band, it changes how I feel about it. There seem to be so many events taking place, such that a cancelled tour is by far the exception, not the rule. But I am not a concert guy so maybe I am wrong?
But, in the end a unanimous decision was made and JP and JM were outvoted 3-2.

I'm a little confused. I thought unanimous would mean 5-0?
If you listen carefully, JP said that it WASN'T unanimous.   
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2021, 06:00:31 PM »
Unfortunately the virus is still going to be here and spreading in Feb, so I hope they are able to work out whatever was making some of the members uncomfortable (totally understandable). I would not be surprised if ticket sales also factored into this, but at this stage, we are all going to have to risk catching it if we want to go to shows or tour the country.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2021, 06:28:28 PM »
Unfortunately the virus is still going to be here and spreading in Feb, so I hope they are able to work out whatever was making some of the members uncomfortable (totally understandable). I would not be surprised if ticket sales also factored into this, but at this stage, we are all going to have to risk catching it if we want to go to shows or tour the country.

Bands with a bigger audience in the US are playing indoor shows in the US right now, though.
I imagine it has more to do with international dates?

However, yes, people, many of whom are doctors, have been saying for over a year and a half that the overwhelming majority of people will have to get covid for us all to move on. Jab or no jab.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2021, 06:55:29 PM »
Interesting that JR wasn't specifically mentioned, with the implication that he voted against, despite just finishing his own solo tour over the last few months. Of course, it's just as likely that JP was trying to be diplomatic and not draw battle lines between members.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2021, 07:02:55 PM »

Bands with a bigger audience in the US are playing indoor shows in the US right now, though.

However, yes, people, many of whom are doctors, have been saying for over a year and a half that the overwhelming majority of people will have to get covid for us all to move on. Jab or no jab.

For sure. And a lot of musicians literally cannot afford NOT to tour right now. But not everyone is back at it. Zac Brown Band postponed their shows too, if I am not mistaken, and he is a pretty large act. It's going to come back just some will take longer to get comfortable with the new normal.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2021, 07:07:08 PM »

For sure. And a lot of musicians literally cannot afford NOT to tour right now. But not everyone is back at it. Zac Brown Band postponed their shows too, if I am not mistaken, and he is a pretty large act. It's going to come back just some will take longer to get comfortable with the new normal.

If they do wind up touring in Feb. it will be 2 years since playing live. 2 years, and looking like it could be more.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 07:13:22 PM by darkshade »

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2021, 07:22:45 PM »
I was REALLY surprised JP mentioned some of the details of the band members' disagreement. I don't know what to think whether it's good or bad for a band member to be that honest on an interview, but what surprised me the most is that in recent years, or actually my whole time following this band more closely (like 10 years), I had never seen a "conflict" of some kind being exposed by the them.

Offline Kram

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2021, 07:25:33 PM »
Interesting that JR wasn't specifically mentioned, with the implication that he voted against, despite just finishing his own solo tour over the last few months. Of course, it's just as likely that JP was trying to be diplomatic and not draw battle lines between members.
Well, he said that he and JM really wanted to tour now - so I took that as the other three members did not.  Now JP and JM are a few years younger than the other three guys, maybe that is playing a factor as well.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2021, 07:32:43 PM »
JP and JM could definitely get some side gigs going in the meantime. Maybe hit up Derek Sherinian to play keys, he's younger too. Get Mike Portnoy on drums, he's the same age as JP and JM. Then they just need to find someone to sing. Charlie Dominici might be available, they could play some shows in the NYC tri state area. But he probably wouldn't last too long, he's much older than JP and JM. Maybe they could hold auditions for a singer, and in the meantime, write some new music til they find the right guy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2021, 07:35:02 PM »
I was REALLY surprised JP mentioned some of the details of the band members' disagreement. I don't know what to think whether it's good or bad for a band member to be that honest on an interview, but what surprised me the most is that in recent years, or actually my whole time following this band more closely (like 10 years), I had never seen a "conflict" of some kind being exposed by the them.

Yeah, that was my major takeaway. JP has been very good at saying basically nothing. Especially nothing with any meat on it (not including BBQ :D).

It was a very MP-ish move.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kram

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2021, 07:39:45 PM »
JP and JM could definitely get some side gigs going in the meantime. Maybe hit up Derek Sherinian to play keys, he's younger too. Get Mike Portnoy on drums, he's the same age as JP and JM. Then they just need to find someone to sing. Charlie Dominici might be available, they could play some shows in the NYC tri state area. But he probably wouldn't last too long, he's much older than JP and JM. Maybe they could hold auditions for a singer, and in the meantime, write some new music til they find the right guy.
Now you're thinking!  I'm sure MP and DS would be down...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2021, 07:41:08 PM »
Like I said before, JP should grab JM, and a drummer, and do some solo dates.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kram

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2021, 07:44:03 PM »
MP?  He knows the material.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2021, 07:48:09 PM »
MP?  He knows the material.

THAT would be awesome!!  East Coast please!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2021, 08:09:33 PM »
Breaking news: John Petrucci and John Myung join Sons of Apollo for US tour.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jjfumbly

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2021, 08:30:24 PM »
Hopefully the segregation mandates will be a thing of the past by the time the tour goes ahead. I want to see my favourite band but a poke proof policy violates my personal ethics. It’s also very not rock and roll.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2021, 08:33:50 PM »
Now you're thinking!  I'm sure MP and DS would be down...

They could call themselves Woke Comedy

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2021, 08:43:50 PM »
Really odd that a tour was even announced and tickets were sold in many venues if that discussion of canceling came up..they had to have talked about it a month earlier ..still think there is something more to it..hell  Jordan has already been out there doing shows

Planning a tour happens a lot earlier than when it gets announced.  They probably planned this back in late spring when it looked like Covid was on retreat and then they probably started having the discussion of cancellation when this spike was at it's worse.  Just my guess.  I think the timing might make more sense when you think about how long the planning takes before fans even hear about it.

As for JLB to be worried about his voice, has there been any cases of covid infections causing vocal harm?  I guess it's possible since it almost seems like anything is with this virus, but lots of noteable singers have had covid and it did not impact their vocals post recovery.  Corey Taylor comes to mind who's singing was fantastic recently and he said his covid battle was the worst illness of his life.

I doubt it's any concern for his vocal cords itself more than it is the effects it has on the respiratory system, the lungs, the airways, all the areas of the body that is used in the vocal process, and is involved when one sings. He is likely weary about the possibility of getting long-term side effects.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2021, 11:27:22 PM »
Hopefully the segregation mandates will be a thing of the past by the time the tour goes ahead. I want to see my favourite band but a poke proof policy violates my personal ethics. It’s also very not rock and roll.

Totally this. Don't think they have any real say about that, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2021, 03:30:40 AM »
I don't blame JP for feeling this way. Musicians are getting the shaft and it's time that they should be able to make a living too.  If I was in their shoes, that's a risk I'm willing to take. Who in their right mind really wants to keep living like this?  THE SHOW MUST GO ON.
A lot has opened up and there are many larger concerts taking place, even in states with heavy mandates.  Foo Fighters, Eagles, Evanescence and Halestorm, and many others are commencing at this time in 2021. Heck, look at Football stadiums now compared to last year.  :lol
 JP and JM want to strike while the iron is hot to promote AVFTTOTW, and I think a view from up there is a lot more clear.

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2021, 05:01:24 AM »
IDEA  :coolio

The band could play the entire new album live at their HQ and film it and mix it properly. Then upload it to YouTube.

Obviously they wouldn't make Millions from it but it would be some revenue at least.

They could even play some classics live too. Everyone could watch it and they wouldn't have to tour for a while.

They could even film a New Album and Greatest Hits set from HQ and release it to cinemas. Probably a bit late in the day for that

but it's always an option.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2021, 07:09:19 AM »

The band could play the entire new album live at their HQ and film it and mix it properly. Then upload it to YouTube.

Obviously they wouldn't make Millions from it but it would be some revenue at least.

They could even play some classics live too. Everyone could watch it and they wouldn't have to tour for a while.

They could even film a New Album and Greatest Hits set from HQ and release it to cinemas. Probably a bit late in the day for that

I would love this, but agree is a bit late.

I said it from last year that it would have been nice for them to do some sort of live stream show, maybe an acoustic set and some rarities. Specially while they were recording the new album. They could've taken a  few week to learn the songs and prepare things.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2021, 07:26:02 AM »
Ι can definitely see JPs frustration with regards to touring. I'm pretty sure there's also a risk in case someone got sick though, with financial implications that the rest of the band members might not be willing to take the risk for.
On the other hand, i'm sure their financials have been impacted due to the lack of touring, so it's a mixed bag. To be fair, there's big uncertainty so there's not right or wrong, more like be willing to take a leap of faith.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2021, 07:33:32 AM »

I would love this, but agree is a bit late.

I said it from last year that it would have been nice for them to do some sort of live stream show, maybe an acoustic set and some rarities. Specially while they were recording the new album. They could've taken a  few week to learn the songs and prepare things.

That would have been nice last year when everything was shut down. I would have paid. They could have even performed the Astonishing.
But now, nah. I want to go to shows. I have managed two in the last couple months. There just isn't anything that can replicate a live concert. The people, the energy. Its a great stress reliever for me. I do understand people not wanting to get sick, but I think the band can protect themselves by taking certain measures.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2021, 08:04:18 AM »
I dont think the in band disagreement about touring is that odd.  There's conflict regarding covid in just about every corner of my life.  I don't see how internally in the band it would be any different.

I will say, having gone to an indoor concert last weekend that was vaccine only to get in, I think it had an effect on the turn out.  This could be playing just as much of a role as their own personal health.  And from everyone who said their local date wasn't selling well, that could be a legit issue as well which may be tied into local vaccine mandates.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2021, 08:33:21 AM »
Where I live, it's just everyone wears a mask, regardless of vaccine status. The 2 shows I saw were full. Megadeth and Styx.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2021, 08:38:11 AM »
I went to a comedy show here in the UK and the place was full but not one person was wearing a mask in the auditorium.

The theatre and the act requested people wear masks while moving around the rest of the theatre space, and almost no-one did.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2021, 09:23:59 AM »
Ya, I should add, at Megadeth very few were wearing masks. And with the moshing, I thought eek, lots of spit and sweat. But, we didn't seem to get an outbreak. It's all quite varied.

Offline Cavalry of Despair

« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2021, 09:34:59 AM »

I'm actually happy that JP feels he can be upfront with internal disagreements like this. I've felt that for a while the band has been overly diplomatic to the point of it coming off as completely disingenuous.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2021, 10:37:34 AM »
Ya, I should add, at Megadeth very few were wearing masks. And with the moshing, I thought eek, lots of spit and sweat. But, we didn't seem to get an outbreak. It's all quite varied.

I haven't heard of any outbreaks from concerts.  But most were outdoors which means that's much less likely, and the indoor ones here all have required vaccinations or negative tests (only just recently have they switches to vaccines only).  All of these steps make it less likely for outbreaks and likely why most tours are happening.  There are bumps along the way.  Regardling the Megadeth tour, the Trivium manager got covid and they only just recently shared that, but managed to not miss any shows as the spread was limited to just the manager.  This is, IMO, how vaccines actually work.  It doesn't make it a 0 risk, but it reduces it so much that the spread is limited. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2021, 12:48:50 PM »
I don't blame JP for feeling this way. Musicians are getting the shaft and it's time that they should be able to make a living too.  If I was in their shoes, that's a risk I'm willing to take. Who in their right mind really wants to keep living like this? 

People that dont want to suffer the long term debilitating effects of covid generally

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2021, 01:18:55 PM »
I don't blame JP for feeling this way. Musicians are getting the shaft and it's time that they should be able to make a living too.  If I was in their shoes, that's a risk I'm willing to take. Who in their right mind really wants to keep living like this? 

People that dont want to suffer the long term debilitating effects of covid generally
Isn't that what vaccinations are for?  If people are that worried about it then stay home, it's all good.  There are plenty of others that want to live life.
Being worried about getting sick is like worrying about getting in a crash if you leave the driveway in your car. There are certain risks with everything. Getting vaccinated is like wearing a seat belt in a car. It's there for safety precautions. 

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2021, 01:37:08 PM »

Isn't that what vaccinations are for?  If people are that worried about it then stay home, it's all good.  There are plenty of others that want to live life.
Being worried about getting sick is like worrying about getting in a crash if you leave the driveway in your car. There are certain risks with everything. Getting vaccinated is like wearing a seat belt in a car. It's there for safety precautions.

I agree. And (this may be close to the covid thread..) I also think we get to choose. Choose to go to a concert. Choose to get vaccinated. (I and my family did). Choose to tour. Choose to be civil. It looks like to me - as I have been out living, traveling since the beginning of covid - that now, most people are ready to get on with it. Who knows, maybe James will never feel comfortable, as it looks like covid might be here to stay, and they would need another singer, which some have seemed to want. ( I hope not)