Author Topic: James LaBrie Interview (Oct. 15th)  (Read 10952 times)

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
Re: James LaBrie Interview (Oct. 15th)
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2021, 10:19:22 AM »
Without doing a Blabbermouth here, did anyone notice how he answered the question about how people should support someone who goes through a vocal injury like he had.  How he said that you have to be sensitive, supporting and if you’re not, you need to look at yourself as a human being.  Then in the next breath he said “most” of my band mates were really understanding and supportive.  Interesting.

As for why reaction channels use live videos, I’ve heard from some that they’re less likely to be blocked by the record labels.  I don’t know why that would be the case but some have definitely said that metal record labels are very hot on blocking videos of their artists but the live ones tend to slip through the net.

That seems plausible. It's almost like a form of advertising. You have a person-- some with few viewers but some with a lot-- pretending to be amazed by your product.

Edit: I missed the word 'live' in your post. No idea either, though I am surprised any record label is blocking any reaction videos at all. It seems like only a positive thing for the band being reacted to, and not like streaming a song for the enjoyment of listening to it.

• PR permission
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2021, 10:20:22 AM »
By the way, is it safe to assume that when JLB said 'most' bandmates were supportive he was really saying that MP was the one who wasn't?

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2021, 10:24:17 AM »
MP has openly said in the past that he told JLB to get his shit together around that time or he was out of the band so I would guess that JLB was talking about him.

• PR permission
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2021, 10:28:35 AM »
MP has openly said in the past that he told JLB to get his shit together around that time or he was out of the band so I would guess that JLB was talking about him.

Interesting. I thought that MP felt JLB's sound no longer suited the band and wanted to move on because of that, but didn't know he threatened to fire him over performance issues.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2021, 10:37:50 AM »

Interesting. I thought that MP felt JLB's sound no longer suited the band and wanted to move on because of that, but didn't know he threatened to fire him over performance issues.

I think it was sometime around 2005 when Portnoy gave an interview where he something alone the lines of, "If we were starting this band now, I'd love to get a singer like Daniel Gildenlow, but James has been in the band so long now and is viewed as the voice of DT," which was all but saying, "James is viewed as the voice of DT, so we are kind of stuck with him."  My belief is that it showed how drunk he had gotten with power once he became the leader of the band, as it seemed like he felt like he could do and say whatever he wanted and get away with it.  I have said it before that being a fan of Dream Theater got a lot less fun over the course of the 2000s as it felt too much like the Mike Portnoy and Friends show from a PR standpoint.  Since his departure, it has felt and looked like a real band again.  Even though Petrucci runs the show, he doesn't dominate interviews and force himself to the front like Portnoy often did.

• PR permission
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2021, 11:03:01 AM »
MP always struck me as sort of a loose cannon. He definitely should not have said that in public about JLB, as his bandmate, though I agree he no longer suited the band stylistically and should have been let go over performance issues long ago.

MP also complained quite a bit publicly about the fans/customers, which one should never do.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2021, 11:11:18 AM »
MP always struck me as sort of a loose cannon. He definitely should not have said that in public about JLB, as his bandmate, though I agree he no longer suited the band stylistically and should have been let go over performance issues long ago.

MP also complained quite a bit publicly about the fans/customers, which one should never do.

It blows my mind because he used to be the most down to earth and nicest guy. And I knew him very well.

Offline Kram

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2021, 11:19:39 AM »
I think it was sometime around 2005 when Portnoy gave an interview where he something alone the lines of, "If we were starting this band now, I'd love to get a singer like Daniel Gildenlow, but James has been in the band so long now and is viewed as the voice of DT," which was all but saying, "James is viewed as the voice of DT, so we are kind of stuck with him."  My belief is that it showed how drunk he had gotten with power once he became the leader of the band, as it seemed like he felt like he could do and say whatever he wanted and get away with it.  I have said it before that being a fan of Dream Theater got a lot less fun over the course of the 2000s as it felt too much like the Mike Portnoy and Friends show from a PR standpoint.  Since his departure, it has felt and looked like a real band again.  Even though Petrucci runs the show, he doesn't dominate interviews and force himself to the front like Portnoy often did.
Did he really say that?  I'm a big Daniel Gildenlow fan, but that's messed up!  No wonder JLB is still pissed at him - I'd be too!

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2021, 11:38:45 AM »
Yeah i recall MP taking some shots at James. It is true that James had let himself a bit during the Six Degrees tour and you can tell from some bootlegs, it is also documented in the Lifting Shadows book that the band had kind of an intervention where they told him he should get back in shape and work a bit more on his stage presence and his vocals. That's also a reason he was hanging out on stage in instrumental sections with a tambourine, if i recall correctly there was a place in the stage at some point with some percussion stuff for him.

I really wonder how/when things went south between MP and James, since they seemed to actually be good friends during the first DT years. Maybe MP took it personally that many people criticised James as the weak link of the band ever since the accident happened to him.

On the interview part, it was a great one, with interesting questions asked. And James is being quite open about all that he's been through, and it's been a lot. He's a very hard working vocalist, touring very hard and he even ignored doctor's advice and went on tour after the accident. I admire his work ethic and i think he's been pretty solid for the most part of his career.

• PR permission
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2021, 12:01:55 PM »

It blows my mind because he used to be the most down to earth and nicest guy. And I knew him very well.

I always appreciated all of the cool stuff he did for the fans, where the other band members never did much. He obviously just said more than he should have over the years.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2021, 12:02:49 PM »
6DOIT was also the first studio album where DT as a whole wasn't credited as the writer of the music (not counting the rare occasions where just one guy wrote a song, like Petrucci with Regression or Moore with Space Dye Vest).  They started crediting the whole band minus JLB as the writer of the music.  I also remember Portnoy saying that if they would have condensed Six Degrees down to one album, the two songs he would have axed would have been Blind Faith and Disappear, which of course were the only two songs on the record where JLB wrote the lyrics, so I think it's clear that the axe Portnoy had to grind with James kicked in around that time period.  And he didn't try to hide it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2021, 12:11:41 PM »
By the way, is it safe to assume that when JLB said 'most' bandmates were supportive he was really saying that MP was the one who wasn't?

Yes.

6DOIT was also the first studio album where DT as a whole wasn't credited as the writer of the music (not counting the rare occasions where just one guy wrote a song, like Petrucci with Regression or Moore with Space Dye Vest).  They started crediting the whole band minus JLB as the writer of the music.  I also remember Portnoy saying that if they would have condensed Six Degrees down to one album, the two songs he would have axed would have been Blind Faith and Disappear, which of course were the only two songs on the record where JLB wrote the lyrics, so I think it's clear that the axe Portnoy had to grind with James kicked in around that time period.  And he didn't try to hide it.

There were so many signs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2021, 12:22:29 PM »

Blind Faith is a top 5 DT song for me as it encapsulates and highlights the best of everyone in DT. It’s baffling to me MP would have considered removing it over say…..The Great Debate which is a good song but in my eyes an inferior song to Blind Faith.

Nonetheless…..it’s quite apparent from this interview that the rift between those two is far from being healed and seems to be that James is perfectly fine never speaking to MP again. And perhaps rightfully so.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2021, 12:56:05 PM »
Wait. When he says most band members, are we forgetting Derek Sherinian who was also in the band around the time of his vocal incident. It could very well be him.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2021, 12:59:52 PM »
are we forgetting Derek Sherinian

Yes.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2021, 01:14:41 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• PR permission
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2021, 02:10:28 PM »
Wait. When he says most band members, are we forgetting Derek Sherinian who was also in the band around the time of his vocal incident. It could very well be him.

I guess technically it could be him, but I doubt it highly.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2021, 02:24:40 PM »

Yes.

Who is Derek Sherinian?

:rollin

I guess technically it could be him, but I doubt it highly.

Don't think so, as IIRC, James wasn't really on board with replacing Derek when that was brought up by John P and Mike.

Also, it's been ages since I last sat to watch my Chaos in Motion DVD, but I remember being some sort of tension/awkwardness between Mike and James on the behind the scenes documentary. We all know now things were starting to get ugly for them by then, so it all makes sense.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

• PR permission
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2021, 02:28:26 PM »
Yes, also it would be very strange for the new guy (Derek) to be unsupportive of a longer tenured member who is struggling with an injury.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2021, 03:11:36 PM »

Yes.

Who is Derek Sherinian?

Derek Sherinian is the co-founder of Ovaltine. Maybe Ovaltine will sponsor the upcoming DT tour!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2021, 05:43:19 PM »
When James mentioned "most band members" he didn't really specify a time frame. I bring this up because Mike and James were really close during the recording of FII which was the first album post vocal injury. Mike has also been clear about being outvoted a lot during this period with most votes coming down to 3-2. James was also the most vocal other than Mike about not being happy with the record label interference. So James's "most band members" comment was probably meaning "in general" and also thinking back to when it got really bad around 2002 when Mike and him clearly started to be on the outs.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2021, 06:34:26 PM »
I just think that if JP or JM would've had any issues with James being in the band, he wouldn't have lasted as much as he's been in it :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Glasser

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2021, 07:58:00 PM »
God forbid James starts wearing down and cannot perform live, he’s 58 with a previous vocal injury, would they get a replacement and keep going? I would guess yes. Not everyone’s voice ages well like Halford. I would be open to a new vocalist if needed. Anyone?

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2021, 08:10:45 PM »
 :facepalm:
I hate when the discussion goes this way..

Offline Glasser

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2021, 08:33:45 PM »

I’m sorry, I was only saying that because James was saying how demanding touring is and I don’t want to see them stop and I doubt they would.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 08:38:54 PM by Glasser »

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2021, 08:48:39 PM »

I’m sorry, I was only saying that because James was saying how demanding touring is and I don’t want to see them stop and I doubt they would.

It's good! I personally don't think they would continue without him. But I am not well informed.

• PR permission
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2021, 04:51:19 AM »
God forbid James starts wearing down and cannot perform live, he’s 58 with a previous vocal injury, would they get a replacement and keep going? I would guess yes. Not everyone’s voice ages well like Halford. I would be open to a new vocalist if needed. Anyone?

I would be excited to open it up to a new vocalist but it’s a big chance to take last
Minute for the band. Not sure it would go over with the fans without having any time to digest a new singer.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2021, 04:52:23 AM »
I can see them recording more and touring less. Labrie is 60 in 2 years and Jordan is 70 in 6 years.

I wonder what's easier for James ? Less frequent 3 hour shows or more frequent 2 hour shows....

If it pays their bills they could do a Metallica and only gig a couple of times a week. Hetfield and LaBrie are around the same age...

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2021, 09:02:32 AM »
I can see them recording more and touring less.

Can't see this happening in this day and age, where touring is the only way to make real money.
If anything it will be the opposite and there will be longer waits between albums, which can be said for any aging band.

We are already starting to seeing the gaps widening slightly between albums.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2021, 09:18:12 AM »
I can see them recording more and touring less. Labrie is 60 in 2 years and Jordan is 70 in 6 years.

I wonder what's easier for James ? Less frequent 3 hour shows or more frequent 2 hour shows....

If it pays their bills they could do a Metallica and only gig a couple of times a week. Hetfield and LaBrie are around the same age...

Yeah but Hetfield has plenty of money and I’m pretty sure Labrie lives tour to tour financially.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2021, 10:46:31 AM »
I wouldn’t go that far.  I agree that it’s different for Hetfield and someone at that level but I don’t think JLB is living from tour to tour.  He said himself in the interview that the band are fairly well off now and, if the vocal injury happened today he could easily take the time off he needed unlike back in 1995.

Not saying he is a multi-millionaire and could just pack in now but I don’t think he’s on the bones of his arse either.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2021, 12:23:07 PM »
When James mentioned "most band members" he didn't really specify a time frame. I bring this up because Mike and James were really close during the recording of FII which was the first album post vocal injury. Mike has also been clear about being outvoted a lot during this period with most votes coming down to 3-2. James was also the most vocal other than Mike about not being happy with the record label interference. So James's "most band members" comment was probably meaning "in general" and also thinking back to when it got really bad around 2002 when Mike and him clearly started to be on the outs.
Yeah, it was probably "in general", and in the question where Elizabeth asked how people who work with the singer should support him when he has a vocal injury, the first thing he said was that they need to understand that he hates having a vocal injury just as much as they do.

This was a really emotionally impactful intie for me to listen to as a fan. Like half of the time I was like:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Kram

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2021, 12:28:26 PM »
I wouldn’t go that far.  I agree that it’s different for Hetfield and someone at that level but I don’t think JLB is living from tour to tour.  He said himself in the interview that the band are fairly well off now and, if the vocal injury happened today he could easily take the time off he needed unlike back in 1995.

Not saying he is a multi-millionaire and could just pack in now but I don’t think he’s on the bones of his arse either.
I agree and caught when he said that as well.  I'm sure DT is setup as a corporation, and they all draw a comfortable salary every month (not millions of dollars but the equivalent of someone with a "decent" job) - they probably also payout bonuses when they've had a profitable year.  That would be my guess on how they run it.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2021, 01:36:59 PM »

I agree and caught when he said that as well.  I'm sure DT is setup as a corporation, and they all draw a comfortable salary every month (not millions of dollars but the equivalent of someone with a "decent" job) - they probably also payout bonuses when they've had a profitable year.  That would be my guess on how they run it.

Mike Portnoy gave an interview with I think Metal Sludge a long time ago and he said much of what you explained is how it's run.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2021, 05:38:17 PM »

Well said. I agree 100%.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?