Author Topic: Hardest DT riffs  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Hardest DT riffs
« on: October 13, 2021, 02:02:20 PM »
I'm mostly talking about rhythm guitar and bass.   I've been on a DT riff learning kick lately and it's putting my mind and skill level to the test.  I finally got a seven string and learned the entire intro section to TDEN and it is an absolute BEAR to get up to speed. I thought the intro to Constant Motion was hard enough, but TDEN makes it seem like a walk in the park.  :lol
It is so much fun to attempt this kind of stuff and is a good workout mentally and physically.  What about you guys,  what DT riffs do you recommend that are fun yet challenging to play?  Btw, I have the revised tab books to SC and Awake approved by JP himself.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Hardest DT riffs
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 03:17:54 PM »
Cool! Enjoy your seven string :)

TDEN was one of the first things I learned back when I got mine as well. They have a bunch of other difficult seven-string riffs in songs. Some that come to mind immediately are the main riff to The Enemy Inside, the first 4 minutes of The Glass Prison, the ridiculous riffs under the solo section of The Glass Prison, some of the stuff halfway through This Dying Soul and a decent chunk of The Shattered Fortress. You should of course also have a go at The Dance of Eternity!

As far as 'hardest riffs' go, endurance wise you might find it in an unexpected place; if it's not the solo section riffs in The Glass Prison, try all the guitar parts underneath the verses of The Count of Tuscany.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 04:08:23 PM »
The Count of Tuscany indeed!  I know some of that, but need to revisit.  I'm afraid to try TGP,  I might have to master a few easier songs to build up my skill level.  :lol
 I don't have the chops to pull off Petrucci solos at this time, so I'll tackle the Rhythm sections which is like taking a college course in itself.
I've been playing mostly originals throughout my guitar journey, but I think it will help me tremendously to learn some DT stuff to help me think outside the box and have a better bag of tricks to work with.  I find this inspirational, and listening to others on this forum helps too. Thanks for the suggestions.  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 06:06:32 PM »
Congrats on getting a 7string. Welcome to the "B" side  :metal

First riff I learned on a 7 string was the intro to Bridges in the Sky. Really fun to play and not too challenging.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 03:54:23 AM »
The verse of The Count is probably the 'hardest' DT riff I can play and I have to be warmed up and not at all tired. It's not hard on its own but its quite fast.

I can almost get through the intro and verse of Constant motion.  Almost.

Our New World is not that hard. Just getting it clean is tricky though.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 07:07:51 AM »
Congrats on getting a 7string. Welcome to the "B" side  :metal

Thanks man!  I'm loving the 7string, it opens up a whole new world.  I wish I would have got one years ago.  :metal

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 03:14:28 AM »
Fun thread! I think Dark Eternal Night was one of the first riffs I learned on a 7-string as well. What 7-string did you buy Architeuthis?

Agreed about everything said, The count of Tuscany verse riff is very difficult. Aswell as the riffs before the keyboard solo in This Dying Soul.

I'd also throw in the intro to At Wit's End, it's played at a very annoying tempo for my right hand. There also some pretty wide stretches in the Answering the Call intro riff.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 10:25:25 AM »
Fun thread! I think Dark Eternal Night was one of the first riffs I learned on a 7-string as well. What 7-string did you buy Architeuthis?
Ibanez RG7 series.  Probably a lower end guitar, but it plays really nice for what it is. White top and headstock. If I swapped in some Seymore Duncans and locking tuners, it would really feel like and play like a high end model. Still love it though.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 01:23:22 PM »
Awaken the Master is probably one of them now.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 04:44:55 AM »
Awaken the Master is probably one of them now.

I tend to disagree, the main riff isn't really that difficult when you get the hang of it. Just to compare a 'similar' riff; the main riff to The Enemy Inside is quite a lot faster than this one.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 05:00:11 AM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 05:06:31 AM »
I'd also throw in the intro to At Wit's End, it's played at a very annoying tempo for my right hand.

Wow! I never thought about this one, but that's got to be one of them. Constant stream of notes at roughly 150BPM for about 50 seconds, you'll need some stamina to pull that off correctly :)
Squ

Offline genome

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2022, 07:42:08 AM »
The riff at 5:53 in TDEN  :o

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 11:28:02 AM »
Totally off topic but talking about hard riffs I just thought about when Ola Englund tried to learn a Decapitated riff. He almost lost his arm in the process.

https://youtu.be/onLe5abpJCE
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls