Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me. Apparently the new BTBAM thread.  (Read 260051 times)

Offline briang

Re: Between the Buried and Me. Convince me to listen to them.
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2009, 01:20:01 PM »
Too each his own. I also felt that the Tommy oversings/screams on Colors.  He's always had long vocal passages throughout their entire career but it only became problematic on Colors.
Our job was to select someone to speak for everybody. And I just couldn't in good conscience vote for a person who doesn't believe in God. Someone who honestly thinks the other ninety five percent of us suffer from some form of mass delusion.
-Palmer, Contact

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2009, 03:36:04 PM »
Sometimes I have a problem with their formula's for songs (Obviously not all the songs, but a lot of them). Its like:

Heavy>>>mellow>>>heavy>>>mellow

Sometimes it feels like you're just waiting for the heavy parts to pass just so you can get to the awesome more melodic parts in songs.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2009, 03:59:42 PM »
Sometimes I have a problem with their formula's for songs (Obviously not all the songs, but a lot of them). Its like:

Sometimes it feels like you're just waiting for the heavy parts to pass just so you can get to the awesome more melodic parts in songs.
I will also disagree there. I personally love both their heavy and mellow sections although BTBAM is nowhere near as bad as Opeth is about the heavy>>>mellow>>>heavy>>>mellow thing.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline brodgers

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2009, 04:24:35 PM »
COLORS LIVE DVD BOTH SETS WATCH IT ENJOY

gogogo

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2009, 04:30:53 PM »
One of my biggest qualms with Colors is that there is way too much showmanship and fluff and not nearly enough focused songwriting and structuring.

I'm guessing the 180 degree breakdowns are new then? When my friend introduced me to BTBAM he gave me Colors and Alaska, as well as describing the "crazy breakdowns" and "holy shit there's a waltz in the middle of nowhere" so I just assumed that's what they did always. I don't mind that stuff and I found the brief bits of hardcore stuff, for lack of a better word, as a good introduction for me to that area of music. Aside from Selkies, most of the songs on Alaska had that hardcore sound that I thought sounded musically terrible so naturally I never got around to it until a little while. I definitely see the shift in style but I don't see where their songwriting has suffered. To me it's on the same level, just in more a progressive metal style. I've also never thought of any of the riffs or passages are being showy so I don't understand where you're coming from. Even if they do those fast "Dream Theater" style riffs they usually meld two parts together to make it sound interesting.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2009, 04:44:36 PM »
One of my biggest qualms with Colors is that there is way too much showmanship and fluff and not nearly enough focused songwriting and structuring.

I'm guessing the 180 degree breakdowns are new then? When my friend introduced me to BTBAM he gave me Colors and Alaska, as well as describing the "crazy breakdowns" and "holy shit there's a waltz in the middle of nowhere" so I just assumed that's what they did always. I don't mind that stuff and I found the brief bits of hardcore stuff, for lack of a better word, as a good introduction for me to that area of music. Aside from Selkies, most of the songs on Alaska had that hardcore sound that I thought sounded musically terrible so naturally I never got around to it until a little while. I definitely see the shift in style but I don't see where their songwriting has suffered. To me it's on the same level, just in more a progressive metal style. I've also never thought of any of the riffs or passages are being showy so I don't understand where you're coming from. Even if they do those fast "Dream Theater" style riffs they usually meld two parts together to make it sound interesting.

It's not new; that is the way their style has always been.
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2009, 09:40:33 PM »

I will also disagree there. I personally love both their heavy and mellow sections although BTBAM is nowhere near as bad as Opeth is about the heavy>>>mellow>>>heavy>>>mellow thing.

ugh, I hate when people use that to describe both Opeth and Between the Buried and Me. OBVIOUSLY some combination of the words heavy and mellow will be able to describe virtually every Opeth song, because they do both heavy and mellow music. How that suddenly makes their songs 'formulaic' is completely beyond me.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2009, 09:44:35 PM »
How would I EQ The Silent Circus in WMP11 to sound like Alaska?

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2009, 10:21:49 PM »

wut
My Soundclick Page

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2009, 10:46:49 PM »
So, I'm with the OP. I've heard nothing that interests me in this band so far. Apart from large font and quoting lines, can anyone articulate why everyone likes this band so much?

Offline brodgers

« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2009, 10:56:17 PM »
I bought Colors and listened to it and it was amazing.

THEN I BOUGHT THE COLORS LIVE DVD AND "MORCDECAI IS SO GOOD OH MY GOD SO IS SELKIES GOD EVERY SONG IS EXCELLENT"

THEN I BOUGHT THEIR ENTIRE DISCOGRAPHY

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2009, 11:12:26 PM »

I feel like you'd be the best to answer this then. I have Silent Circus and S/T. To get into the "hardcore" style are there any songs I should listen to (aside Mordecai) to adapt to the older stuff? I feel like they're a great bridge into stuff I don't normally listen to of that vein so I'm interested.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2009, 11:55:41 PM »
So, I'm with the OP. I've heard nothing that interests me in this band so far. Apart from large font and quoting lines, can anyone articulate why everyone likes this band so much?

Memorable riffs, incredibly talented musicianship, complex yet catchy and interesting arrangements, amazing guitar melodies and harmonies, amazing guitar solos (SELKIES), songs that build and build resulting in really awesome, powerful moments (like the sleep on, fly on part of Ants in the Sky or the ending of Mordecai), and so on.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline brodgers

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2009, 12:02:03 AM »

Memorable riffs, incredibly talented musicianship, complex yet catchy and interesting arrangements, amazing guitar melodies and harmonies, amazing guitar solos (SELKIES), songs that build and build resulting in really awesome, powerful moments (like the sleep on, fly on part of Ants in the Sky or the ending of Mordecai), and so on.

basically exactly this.  Plus Blake is a fantastic drummer, much better than MP these days

Offline nakedman

• I will choose free will.
  • "Bitch I look like Goku" - Soulja Boi
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2009, 11:18:13 AM »
He is like a suped up MP. I would say BR is only better technically, while MP has an incredibly unique and influential style. esp. circa FII and SFAM.

BTBAM can be explained by a certain energy throughout the songs. You can tell they love the writing process and the music represents that. Whether it be a softer part, noisy part, or melodic section, the energy continues throughout. It took me awhile for BTBAM to not seem contrived to me.

BTW: LISTEN TO THEM! DON'T PUT THEM OFF FOR HOW THEY LOOK!
Goin to the lite until we meet again<br />Thats what the Korinians say again and again..<br />Light years and light years..<br />don\'t wanna shed more tears..

Offline briang

« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2009, 02:17:18 PM »
Selkies is one of my least favorite songs on Alaska tbqh.
Our job was to select someone to speak for everybody. And I just couldn't in good conscience vote for a person who doesn't believe in God. Someone who honestly thinks the other ninety five percent of us suffer from some form of mass delusion.
-Palmer, Contact

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2009, 02:45:27 PM »

I feel like you'd be the best to answer this then. I have Silent Circus and S/T. To get into the "hardcore" style are there any songs I should listen to (aside Mordecai) to adapt to the older stuff? I feel like they're a great bridge into stuff I don't normally listen to of that vein so I'm interested.

Try listening to the following:

Off of The Silent Circus: Ad a Dglgmut, Aesthetic
Off of Self-Titled: Aspirations, Shevanel Cut a Flip
My Soundclick Page

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2009, 08:45:05 PM »

wut
You don't know what an EQ is, right?

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2009, 10:25:16 PM »

Whaddya mean "how they look"?
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2009, 11:33:25 PM »

wut

I know that you won't be able to EQ an album to sound like another album.  It takes way more than EQ to determine an album's sound.
My Soundclick Page

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2009, 12:55:54 AM »

I never look at musicians, thank god.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2009, 03:11:10 AM »

wut

I know that you won't be able to EQ an album to sound like another album.  It takes way more than EQ to determine an album's sound.

Ohh okay. Well I was just unhappy with the low end and the mid range levels on The Silent Circus. Also the high end needs an ever so slight boost too.. EQing it to sound closer to Alaska would be awesome, that's all I'm saying, and my question was how to do it with the WMP11 equaliser.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »

wut

Ohh okay. Well I was just unhappy with the low end and the mid range levels on The Silent Circus. Also the high end needs an ever so slight boost too.. EQing it to sound closer to Alaska would be awesome, that's all I'm saying, and my question was how to do it with the WMP11 equaliser.

Yeah, you won't be able to do much with EQ.  The Silent Circus didn't have as big of a production budget as Alaska, so the quality isn't as good as it could be.
My Soundclick Page

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2009, 11:40:46 AM »
THIS PLACE WILL KILL ITSELF SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNAAAAAANANANANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2009, 07:15:32 PM »
THIS PLACE WILL KILL ITSELF SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNAAAAAANANANANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Wow, I haven't seen that ava in about 4 or 5 years...

wut

Yeah, you won't be able to do much with EQ.  The Silent Circus didn't have as big of a production budget as Alaska, so the quality isn't as good as it could be.

Okay fair enough. Was just a thought (lol train of thought lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 07:24:47 PM by SPNKr »

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2009, 08:19:02 PM »
what is with the scroll bar in the last two posts?
My Soundclick Page

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2009, 08:40:53 PM »
I have nooooooooo idea..

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2009, 09:53:18 PM »

1.  Boost Lows
2.  Boost Highs
3.  Scoop Mids.

YUM

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2009, 09:56:15 PM »

1.  Boost Lows
2.  Boost Highs
3.  Scoop Mids.

YUM

But it already sounds scooped. And the high range isn't so good. Could use a little improvement maybe. Oh well forget it.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2009, 05:27:47 AM »
I'm not sure why, but they did nothing for me.

Seem like a bit of a fad here-today-gone-today band, like Thrice or Frost, everyone jumps on and away we go....

we'll see I guess.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline briang

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2009, 07:25:45 AM »
Haha, except Thrice have been around for over a decade and have widespread critical acclaim.
-Palmer, Contact

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2009, 07:26:54 AM »
BTBAM has been around since 2000.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2009, 04:36:23 PM »
Seem like a bit of a fad here-today-gone-today band,

No.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2009, 05:19:51 PM »
Seem like a bit of a fad here-today-gone-today band, like Thrice or Frost, everyone jumps on and away we go....

So many things wrong with this statement.
My Soundclick Page

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2009, 05:38:28 PM »

So many things wrong with this statement.

Yep. So much disappoint.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LK9p7AaqhY I watched this and near the end, Tommy said they're going to outdo Colors :coolio
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 05:57:27 PM by SPNKr »