Author Topic: listening to all discography again.  (Read 7854 times)

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
Re: listening to all discography again.
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2021, 11:55:42 PM »
- TCOT ending is still the best ending ever created by humans.

Could not agree more, this verbal solo is the best I'll ever get to hear from LaBrie. Which only is so beautiful because the sections are build up so wonderful.

- Bridges in The Sky! 🤘 I forgot what a banger grenade this is!

Also agree totally. This song would probably remain in my top 10, even if they would make it to 25 studio albums.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Pettor

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2021, 12:57:31 AM »
DT & TA

- DT is sadly still an album that will always be in my bottom list, but I must say there's a special vibe to some of the songs that I started to appreciate more. Bigger Picture, Behind the Veil and Surrender To Reason all sounds really different compared to the rest of the DT discography. They have a winter mood somehow that I quite like 😁
- Enigma Machine is still highly disappointing.
- Why did they call the album DT? I remember John saying because it perfectly summarize what DT sounds like, but I don't think it does. I get how there's the Rush song, the instrumental, the epic etc. but the overall sound is still very different. I&W and Scenes or even ADTOE are much more a summary of DT for me than this.
- TA is loooooooooooong.
- Majority of the album is love song exposition 🤔
- LaBrie is sooooo good on this album! His voice is meant for this!
- If you don't like TA, at least be happy it produced songs like Ravenskill and The Path That Divides. Both have this wonderful way of doing storytelling that I honestly think is close to the Jesus Christ Superstar league.
- The album really sounds great overall and is a huge improvement from DT.
- The story is the main disappointment. It needs more twist and turns to be interesting. The ending is just "ok so after 1 hour of love songs some person died which felt super bad so let's hold hands and be happy".
- I am glad DT got to make TA even if it's disappointing.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2021, 01:10:21 AM »
- DT is sadly still an album that will always be in my bottom list, but I must say there's a special vibe to some of the songs that I started to appreciate more. Bigger Picture, Behind the Veil and Surrender To Reason all sounds really different compared to the rest of the DT discography. They have a winter mood somehow that I quite like 😁
- Why did they call the album DT? I remember John saying because it perfectly summarize what DT sounds like, but I don't think it does. I get how there's the Rush song, the instrumental, the epic etc. but the overall sound is still very different. I&W and Scenes or even ADTOE are much more a summary of DT for me than this.

The self-titled will always be in my upperpart I gues. I really love the album, with Petrucci's solo in the Bigger Picture as a highlight. I really like the Looking Glass as well and Illumination Theory is in my top 3 Dream Theater songs. The Embracing the Circle-section is just not of this world and next to the final of the Count of Tuscany, is Surrender, Trust and Passion an absolute brilliant way to finish the epic.

The only thing I do not like is the title, which to me always was a false copy of Metallica's Black Album, being black as a cover also.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2021, 01:25:48 AM »

The self-titled will always be in my upperpart I gues. I really love the album, with Petrucci's solo in the Bigger Picture as a highlight. I really like the Looking Glass as well and Illumination Theory is in my top 3 Dream Theater songs. The Embracing the Circle-section is just not of this world and next to the final of the Count of Tuscany, is Surrender, Trust and Passion an absolute brilliant way to finish the epic.

The only thing I do not like is the title, which to me always was a false copy of Metallica's Black Album, being black as a cover also.

IT is fantastic. I agree with the Embracing the Circle-section being pure brilliance. I really like how all the different sections feels varied. I am not sure how many times I watch the 4th Wall video with the symphonic orchestra. It's just amazing.

Sadly I don't like the first half of the DT album but I must say the second half (from Bigger Picture) has really grown on me. Even Along for The Ride was good this time!

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2021, 01:41:55 AM »
Yeah indeed, Breaking the Fourth Wall is next to Live at Luna Park my favorite live recording. The reaction from the Daily Doug on that made it even more astonishing. Like you say, absolute brilliance.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2021, 03:27:12 AM »
D/T:

- Really didn't need to do this since I been listening to D/T since it's release and still do. However I usually start at FITL so at least there's that.
- Still a fantastic album with DT back to form for me.
- UA is pretty good actually. It has grown on me now I must say.
- Paralyzed is perfect for the flow of the album. Somehow it's like a BMU, BMD done right.
- Room 137 is the only song I want to skip. It's cool once or twice but doesn't hold up.
- FITL is still BADASS 🤘
- If Barstool Warrior was released on an album in the 90s it would be considered a classic and one of their finest.
- Out of Reach doesn't get enough credit. It's needed between AWE and PBD to get a breather. Still it has wonderful melodies, great solo.
- PBD should have been ~15 minutes long and without restrictions. I love it but damn does it have unfulfilled potential!
- Mangini and Petrucci ARE SO GOOOOOD on this album!
- The album production is perfect. I love the sound of it. Really sounds like a band playing with tons of warmth and space. Sounds great on my quality headphones as well as my shitty car speakers! I know the new album will sound as great so please DT, never change this winning concept.

Anyway I CAN'T WAIT for next week now. Just realizing again how much D/T is my cup of tea and that they will bring some of that energy into a new CD makes me drool.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2021, 07:16:53 AM »
Yea, Out of Reach is a song I overlooked for a while on DoT. Went back and forgot that it is a good song.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2021, 07:53:54 AM »
Awake is way better than I remembered. I used to hate that album but now I'm digging it.
About to listen to ACOS for the first time ever - Yes, really.

Online geeeemo

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2021, 08:20:29 AM »
About to listen to ACOS for the first time ever - Yes, really.
:o :metal
Now this...is an instant classic!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2021, 10:17:17 AM »
Awake is way better than I remembered. I used to hate that album but now I'm digging it.

That's what happens with most people. I used to dislike Awake when I was a noob DT fan. Now I think it's their second or third best album, behind IaW and behind or ahead of SDoIT, depending on my mood.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2021, 11:31:51 AM »
ACOS was unreal.
FII time.

Online TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2021, 05:40:17 PM »
I am listening to Awake now. Some special moments here and there.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2021, 06:53:49 PM »
ACOS was unreal.

The first time you hear Change of Seasons, especially with Portnoys personal loss involved in there, is an ‘unforgetable’ moment. The song has so many emotions in his sections. Whenever I spin it even til this day, the hair on my arms will rise.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2021, 10:14:54 PM »
ACOS was unreal.

The first time you hear Change of Seasons, especially with Portnoys personal loss involved in there, is an ‘unforgetable’ moment. The song has so many emotions in his sections. Whenever I spin it even til this day, the hair on my arms will rise.

Hearing it for the first time today was amazing. Goosebumps. Beautiful. Brought tears to my eyes.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2021, 08:30:51 AM »
Just listened to Images and Words. It didn't surprise me as much as WDADU, but something I noticed was Learning to Live didn't hit me as hard as I remember it doing in the past. In comparison to some other songs on the album, it just didn't feel as cohesive.

Metropolis Pt. 1 actually felt like my least favourite song from the album. My favourites this time were Another Day and UAGM.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2021, 09:24:08 AM »
Finishing FII and.... yeah, it's painfully meh. It used to be one of my favorites, then I relistened and thought it was whatever. This relisten basically made me feel the same as my last relisten. It's meh.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2021, 03:38:15 PM »
Like a lot of people have mentioned, I usually listen to the whole catalog before a new release.

Images and Words, Awake, Scenes From a Memory, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence are still at the top. That’s hard to beat.

I actually like Falling Into Infinity less now than I did twenty years ago. Half is good, half is meh. They are all good live though. If “Burning My Soul” starts playing in concert, my fist is in the air and I’m singing along.

While Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds & Silver Linings are at the bottom, I like them more now than when they came out.

Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2021, 12:18:50 AM »
Viper King is like Falling Into Infinity?
In a 2019 way, I feel so.
It's punchy, jumpy, popy, has a satriani styled solo, vintage keyboard sounds, if it reminded me of an album it's FII but on modern steroids.
I can understand if I'm alone thinking that tho :)
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline erciccio

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2021, 01:21:29 AM »
Awake contains some of the most emotionally intense moments of the whole discography (and I would dare to say of music history overall!).

The final 3-4 minutes of Space Dye Vest are just bone-melting...
The Mirror, Voices, Scarred...
Wow wow wow

Back in 1994 I  had found the album I bit jarring, mainly because I was not prepared to the dark side of Dream Theater, but now I really love it!!

I have now reached SOIT, and here comes my controversial opinion about that album..

I think The Glass Prison is one of the worst (if not the worst) song in the entire DT catalogue.

The intro riff is amazing and the guitar arpeggios are a super fun and challenging guitar exercise..but all the rest of the song is just a disaster.
All melodies are "wrong" and the instrumental sections are totally meaningless and over stretched.

Now you can kill me  :hefdaddy

« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 06:09:59 AM by erciccio »
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2021, 05:58:43 AM »
Wow so many opinions here haha… some thoughts:

1. Totally agree on awake.  After falling in love with I&W I was so put off by awake.  Over time though it really reveals it’s brilliance.   It’s my #4 album on my DT rankings.

2. I had the opposite Learning to Live reaction as a previous poster.  This song is absolutely amazing.  I wish they would make more music like this. 

3. I adore the Glass Prison but feel like it was the start of their downfall in the 2000’s.   They nailed that song but they started moving heavier and heavier and it didn’t fit the band or Labrie.

4. Out of Reach is great.   

5. In metropolis and learning to live there are basically no solos… it just sounds like a band working together to progress the music into new areas.  This is the Dream Theater magic.   The solo trade offs are fun but I would love to see them go back to these “suites” of music like the ending of about to crash reprise and learning to live/metropolis. 

Offline Pettor

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2021, 08:31:58 AM »
I have now reached SOIT, and here comes my controversial opinion about that album..

I think The Glass Prison is one of the worst (if not the worst) song in the entire DT catalogue.

The intro riff is amazing and the guitar arpeggios are a super fun and challenging guitar exercise..but all the rest of the song is just a disaster.
All melodies are "wrong" and the instrumental sections are totally meaningless and over stretched.

You are obviously 100% wrong but I am a bit interested in the melodies being wrong. Can you evolve what you mean by that?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 09:37:16 AM by Pettor »

Offline Kram

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2021, 11:08:26 AM »
Is The Glass Prison the worst song in DT's catalogue?  Hardly.  Is it possibly slightly overrated?  Probably.  Is it a 100% kick ass song?  Definitely!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2021, 11:51:46 AM »
The most recent listen to IaW was one of the best relistens I've ever had with that album, or any DT album. After so many listens, I still get so excited when I listen to it. Listening to either IaW or Awake is usually an experience every time anyway. I think the production values for both albums adds a lot to their charms as well.

Scenes to SDoIT they're just killing it.

The Glass Prison is one of their best songs, but they have many that are better. It was the first song where JP double tracked his guitars for a more massive sound, which was replicated on ToT and subsequent heavy songs up til and including BC&SL. Although, I think on Systematic Chaos, JP has a bit of a different tone in the heavy riffs, Black Clouds goes back somewhat to the TGP/TOT/Panic Attack heavy sound on the heavier songs, but it sounds a little looser on that album.

Offline Obsidian Pancake

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2021, 03:31:05 PM »
Awake contains some of the most emotionally intense moments of the whole discography (and I would dare to say of music history overall!).

Wow wow wow

Back in 1994 I  had found the album I bit jarring, mainly because I was not prepared to the dark side of Dream Theater, but now I really love it!!

What?? Surely you are just stirring the pot. "The Glass Prison" is the shiz! If I could play guitar I would make a DT cover band and that song would definitely be on our set list! The noodling does feel a part of a different song though, I'll give you that.

• PR permission
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2021, 03:34:50 PM »

Wow wow wow

Awake has some of the most emotionally intense moments in all of music history? Even if you only meant Western music history, or even American music history, that would be a totally absurd statement.

It's a decent album with some special moments sprinkled here and there. Let's not engage in hyperbole.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2021, 04:06:37 AM »

Wow wow wow

Awake has some of the most emotionally intense moments in all of music history? Even if you only meant Western music history, or even American music history, that would be a totally absurd statement.

It's a decent album with some special moments sprinkled here and there. Let's not engage in hyperbole.

There's no way anyone can deny him that feeling however. I hate this idea that a subjective feeling is a hyperbole. What is more emotionally intense that for erciccio in modern music if not Awake? Neither you or me can answer that no matter how many ratings or opinions we throw at it or give examples of other music seemingly more emotinal. Specially comparing emotions is just meant to fail, since it's so highly subjective. It can even be a song that isn't meant to be emotional but the person connects it to something emotional and voila. I think erciccio literally feels like this and therefore it's not a hyperbole. Johnny Cash - Hurt seems to be very emotional to a lot of people. I personally feel more when hearing A.C.T - Scared and I am not even sure why.

Ofc however, thinking TGP is the worst song and that the melodies are "wrong" is  indeed scientifically factually objectively 100% wrong 😉

Offline erciccio

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2021, 06:34:50 AM »

Wow wow wow

There's no way anyone can deny him that feeling however. I hate this idea that a subjective feeling is a hyperbole. What is more emotionally intense that for erciccio in modern music if not Awake? Neither you or me can answer that no matter how many ratings or opinions we throw at it or give examples of other music seemingly more emotinal. Specially comparing emotions is just meant to fail, since it's so highly subjective. It can even be a song that isn't meant to be emotional but the person connects it to something emotional and voila. I think erciccio literally feels like this and therefore it's not a hyperbole. Johnny Cash - Hurt seems to be very emotional to a lot of people. I personally feel more when hearing A.C.T - Scared and I am not even sure why.

Ofc however, thinking TGP is the worst song and that the melodies are "wrong" is  indeed scientifically factually objectively 100% wrong 😉

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Thanks so much for your support! (of course the thanks are limited to the 1st part of your post...:) )
That's of course just my personal opinion, and the "most emotional" judgment extends to everything my 47 years old ears have listened to (from Bach to Sepultura).

As concerns TGP, I think the whole "Fatal descend" section is just cacophonous (again, a personal judgment).

The "melody" there just follows the "root" of the diminished chords half-step down progression (Bm, Bbdim7, Adim7, Em/ G) and I find it extremely sloppy...and while that chord progression (and all the modulations that follow) sounds cool for the "arpeggios exercise", I think it makes no sense at all as an harmonic progression for a vocal melody. "I've gone too far" is even worse to my ears...(same chords, cacophonous B/C#/D/B melody..)

Same for the "Crowling to my glass prision" part, that IMHO does not resolve well the previous harmony.

And I can't find anything interesting in the instrumental section as well.

De gustibus non est disputanda!

• PR permission
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2021, 08:26:45 AM »

Wow wow wow

He didn’t make a statement about the music HE knows or holds dear. He said in music history, and yes that is hyperbole because among other things he unqualified to speak about even 1% of the sample. He should have said it’s the most emotionally intense music he’s ever heard or something along those lines. So yes, what he said is hyperbole and a bit silly if not both. If he said it’s the most intense thing HE’S ever heard that would be fine.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2021, 08:44:11 AM »

Wow wow wow

He didn’t make a statement about the music HE knows or holds dear. He said in music history, and yes that is hyperbole because among other things he unqualified to speak about even 1% of the sample. He should have said it’s the most emotionally intense music he’s ever heard or something along those lines. So yes, what he said is hyperbole and a bit silly if not both. If he said it’s the most intense thing HE’S ever heard that would be fine.

Sorry Barstool, but this comment is really silly, and looks like you are trying to start a fight over nothing.
By the way, you know much less than 1% about me, so you are unqualified to speak about me...
So I would stop here.

• PR permission
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2021, 08:57:36 AM »

Wow wow wow

Sorry Barstool, but this comment is really silly, and looks like you are trying to start a fight over nothing.
By the way, you know much less than 1% about me, so you are unqualified to speak about me...
So I would stop here.

I am not going to get into anything about how much I know vs. you. This isn’t the place for that. And I guess you’re right that I should stop here because it speaks for itself how much you know if you think Awake is what you said earlier. And yes, you are unqualified to make a relative statement about music history in the way you did. That is all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2021, 07:59:44 PM »

So I would stop here.

Keep doing what you are doing. You are fine. Awake is awesome. We are all allowed to gush about music we love sometimes.  :tup :tup

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2021, 08:48:13 PM »
Just listened to Awake today. I thought it was better than last time I listened to it! I liked it better than WDADU, but not quite as much as Images and Words. Favourite song was probably Innocence Faded, Voices, or Space-Dye Vest. Least favourite, hmm, I will have to go with Erotomania.

For some reason, Scarred actually reminded me a lot of WDADU, more than any other song on the album. Not so much the intro, and the softer parts, but the heavier parts, the outro, and the vocal melodies in the "wash your hands of regret" section.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2021, 09:00:16 PM »
After completing my relisten, my album rankings:

1. Distance Over Time
2. Awake
3. Dream Theater
4. The Astonishing
5. Six Degrees
6. A Dramatic Turn of Events
7. Scenes from a Memory
8. Images and Words
9. Octavarium
10. Falling Into Infinity
11. Train of Thought
12. Systematic Chaos
13. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
14. When Dream and Day Unite

Looking forward to A View From The Top Of The World because I really like The Alien. The ending starting from "I am the alien..." is some of the best music I have heard from DT. If Invisible Monster is already the worst song in the album as some of those who listened to the album already intimated, I think this would be a hell of an album.

Edited to include ToT. Hahaha
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 10:08:47 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2021, 09:27:07 PM »
After completing my relisten, my album rankings:

1. Distance Over Time
2. Awake
3. Dream Theater
4. The Astonishing
5. Six Degrees
6. A Dramatic Turn of Events
7. Scenes from a Memory
8. Images and Words
9. Octavarium
10. Falling Into Infinity
11. Systematic Chaos
12. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
13. When Dream and Day Unite

Looking forward to A View From The Top Of The World because I really like The Alien. The ending starting from "I am the alien..." is some of the best music I have heard from DT. If Invisible Monster is already the worst song in the album as some of those who listened to the album already intimated, I think this would be a hell of an album.

Train of Thought doesn't even rate?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2021, 10:07:27 PM »
Oh, let me edit that. Hahaha