Poll

The Alien is Dream Theater's best song since...

DoT
42 (80.8%)
TA
2 (3.8%)
DT
4 (7.7%)
ADTOE
2 (3.8%)
BC&SL
0 (0%)
SC
0 (0%)
8vm
2 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: The Alien  (Read 3855 times)

Offline LKap13

The Alien
« on: October 05, 2021, 04:41:53 PM »
Keeping in mind that the alien is fresh, I'm just struck by how good this song is. I went with adtoe

Offline lovethedrake

Re: The Alien
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 05:27:53 PM »
I like the alien but think at wits end is better.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 05:45:43 PM »
I like the alien but think at wits end is better.

I agree. At Wits End is a top song for me.

Online TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 06:19:57 PM »
the Alien is the best song since a song or two on DoT-- maybe better than Fall Into the Light and Room 137. I like it, but it's a little boring because I've heard DT do almost exactly this so many times. I'll only put it on if I am at the gym.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 06:37:23 AM »
The question should be "best single since ..." otherwise I can't see many going for this being better than the fan favourites from D/T.

Barstool Warrior, At Wit's End and Pale Plue Dot are all better songs imo.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 07:46:23 AM »
It's definitely the best thing they've released since the last thing they released.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 09:04:32 AM »
I don't know how to answer the poll question, but it's a good song.  As I think I mentioned in the other thread, it clicked for me a lot faster than some other lead singles in recent memory. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 09:23:36 AM »
I loved The Alien right away and I still do. Please don't hate me for this, but, I was bored to bits when Untethered Angel came out, and so The Alien clicked as quickly as The Enemy Inside did for me (and Backs O), so I voted for The Enemy Inside.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 09:41:29 AM »
As far as singles go, I think it's the best one since TGOM.  That and The Alien are easily the two best singles of the MM era.

Just a random thought, was there ever a single released from SDOIT??  I honestly don't remember.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 11:55:12 AM »
Just a random thought, was there ever a single released from SDOIT??  I honestly don't remember.

There were "radio edits" of Blind Faith and Misunderstood, as well as carving out Solitary Shell and The Test That Stumped Them All from the title song (see the Four Degrees of Radio Edits 2001 fan club release).  Not sure whether those count as official "singles."  They were edited for radio play, but not sure if they were released as singles that could be purchased. 

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 11:56:57 AM »

There were "radio edits" of Blind Faith and Misunderstood, as well as carving out Solitary Shell and The Test That Stumped Them All from the title song.  Not sure whether those count as official "singles."
I don't think so, since these have only been issued on a fanclub CD, but I'm not sure if these were singles either way (although they could have been)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 12:11:54 PM »

There were "radio edits" of Blind Faith and Misunderstood, as well as carving out Solitary Shell and The Test That Stumped Them All from the title song.  Not sure whether those count as official "singles."
I don't think so, since these have only been issued on a fanclub CD, but I'm not sure if these were singles either way (although they could have been)
They weren't released as singles for the public to purchase, but they were on a promo CD sent out to radio stations:
http://ymfr.free.fr/index.php?title=Selections_From_Six_Degrees_Of_Inner_Turbulence_%28Promo_CD%29
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 03:37:29 PM »
I like the song but as of now I certainly prefer 3 DoT songs over it (Barstool Warrior, At Wits' End and Pale Blue Dot), and possibly 5 (in certain moods you can throw in Out of Reach and Fall Into The Light). So I voted for the first option but like I said, The Alien is a solid tune. My connection with songs tends to change a lot when I hear them in the context of the album. My opinion of The Alien and Invisible Monster will likely be quite different a month from now when I've heard how they 'serve' the whole album experience.   

Offline illusionist

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2021, 01:40:05 PM »

They weren't released as singles for the public to purchase, but they were on a promo CD sent out to radio stations:
http://ymfr.free.fr/index.php?title=Selections_From_Six_Degrees_Of_Inner_Turbulence_%28Promo_CD%29

I remember clearly getting that specific promo cd from the fan club and listening to it.
It was so different than Scenes that i was amazed at it being a DT album.
I can still recall that wow feeling when listening,almost like it was another band.
Oh,and the original cd cover was made by a friend of mine back then,and it was black and green,not  white.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2021, 08:18:00 PM »
Cool, I wish they would have stuck with the green.   And yess, Six Degrees is quite a departure from Scenes.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2021, 06:53:27 PM »

I remember clearly getting that specific promo cd from the fan club and listening to it.
It was so different than Scenes that i was amazed at it being a DT album.
I can still recall that wow feeling when listening,almost like it was another band.
Oh,and the original cd cover was made by a friend of mine back then,and it was black and green,not  white.

Yea, I remember it myself. After hearing the album proper, I never got the Misunderstood noise at the end and preferred the edit, however the album version of Blind Faith was way superior - the edit chopped all the best parts of the solo, and is definitely a song that the longer version was a stronger  and more cohesive track. I did enjoy many of these sorts of fan club CD’s and demos that came out in the MP days (which if I’m not mistaken, MP was a big driving force behind). Seemed to offer that little extra cherry on top for the fans.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 04:46:45 AM »
It's the best song they have released since the end of DOT.  BPD that is, not Viper King.

Saw the thread title on my phone in small font and at first glance right now I thought it said Tim Allen.  Carry on.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 07:36:25 AM »
Tim Allen : Tone Improvement.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 08:00:41 AM »
Lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2021, 12:25:40 PM »
Right - that was the cover for the 4 Degrees of Radio Edits fan club CD. The link to the CD I posted was for the promo CD sent out to radio stations by the label.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2021, 05:09:52 PM »
Yea I think the Alien is better than all the songs on DoT

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2021, 05:16:40 PM »
I prefer everything on Distance Over Time so far. The two new songs were just Not Bad. they were missing...something...But I don't know what that is.

Offline Obsidian Pancake

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2021, 06:56:49 PM »
I prefer everything on Distance Over Time so far. The two new songs were just Not Bad. they were missing...something...But I don't know what that is.

That's interesting. If I could only take one Dream Theater song with me onto a deserted island, I would take The Alien over the likes of Metropolis - Part I..., Lie, New Millenium, Fatal Tragedy, The Test That Stumped Them All, and Stream of Consciousness, to name a few. To each his own, as they say!

Offline LKap13

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2021, 07:05:35 PM »
The alien is special. Has not gotten old and only gets better. Listening to the hi res is a particular treat. It's not an epic but they packed lots of good ideas together with nothing jarring to the ears like much of dot

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2021, 07:09:05 PM »
The Alien is an outstanding track.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2021, 07:48:24 AM »

That's interesting. If I could only take one Dream Theater song with me onto a deserted island, I would take The Alien over the likes of Metropolis - Part I..., Lie, New Millenium, Fatal Tragedy, The Test That Stumped Them All, and Stream of Consciousness, to name a few. To each his own, as they say!
Well, that's interesting.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2021, 08:12:12 AM »
For me, this is the best song since ADTOE, except for Illumination Theory
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Kram

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2021, 12:27:51 PM »
The Alien is great!  Total kick ass song!  Invisible Monsters on the other hand, is forgettable IMO

Offline LKap13

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2021, 06:41:13 PM »
From tuonelmagazine review -

“The Alien” is easily one of the best songs DREAM THEATER has released in the past 20 years.

I agree with this reviewer. Hence the poll

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2021, 05:17:32 AM »
I really really really love this song, so I'm going to say it's the best since ADToE. If it was on that album, I'd put it below BAI and Bridges, and maybe also Outcry.