Author Topic: Just General non specific MOVIE FILM Chat Thread !  (Read 8159 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Just General non specific MOVIE FILM Chat Thread !
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2021, 01:17:00 PM »
I read most of his stuff back in the 80s and 90s.  I recently bought a selection of his books from a used book store to revisit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2021, 01:24:11 PM »
The action is great; the dialogue is... stilted to say the least.  And he has mafia guys using words like "high dudgeon" and such. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2021, 01:27:57 PM »
The action is great; the dialogue is... stilted to say the least.  And he has mafia guys using words like "high dudgeon" and such.
Indeed.

Have you read The Road to Gandolfo and the sequel, The Road to Omaha?  Ludlum comedy!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2021, 03:36:31 PM »
Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR came out 7 years ago.

In that time - only one hour will have passed on the Water Planet.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2021, 08:44:04 PM »
There is no "Just General non specific TV Chat Thread!" If there was I would put this there. And I don't know if it is worthy of its own thread.

Dean Stockwell just passed away. He had a legit film career, but I will always think of him as Rear Admiral Al Calavecci. I remember hearing a story told by Scott Bakula, he said when they filmed the episode where Sam leaped in to a kid with Down's Syndrome (or something of that nature), Al spoke of having a sister with Down's Syndrome and it gave this particular leap added gravitas and meaning for Al. None of which was in the original script. Stockwell just came up with it on the fly to add depth to his character and give Al an added incentive for him to help Sam right the particular wrong of this leap.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2021, 03:02:44 AM »
Oh boy......

I loved him in The Langoliers. I love those types of films where they slowly work out the problem..

Those were my fave episodes of TNG too where there is a mystery and they gradually unravel it. Like Clues or Cause and Effect and The First Duty...

One of my fave TNG moments is in The First Duty when Geordi casually mentions that doing X would " ignite the plasma " and Picard is like  :| ..ignite the plasma....

Such a great moment.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2021, 07:25:13 AM »
I always picture him in Beverly Hills Cop II.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2021, 09:55:06 AM »
Indeed.

Have you read The Road to Gandolfo and the sequel, The Road to Omaha?  Ludlum comedy!

Funny enough, I am about 50 pages into Omaha.   I liked (not loved) Gandolfo, but I am decidedly iffy so far on Omaha.  It's a broader, vaudevillian comedy that usually isn't my thing, but the elements of Ludlum that I like - the plotting, the intricacy - are there, so I will persevere.    My favorites from him are the mid-period ones:  The Gemini Contenders, The Chancellor Manuscript, The Holcroft Covenant, The Matarese Circle, and of course, The Bourne Identity (his best).  After that, he started to get a little... I don't know what word is right, but it became safe, soft.   Every one was "family!" and there was so much love and affection for the quirky, iconoclast characters.  I liked it a little more gritty, more 70s.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2021, 09:57:16 AM »
Indeed.

Funny enough, I am about 50 pages into Omaha.   I liked (not loved) Gandolfo, but I am decidedly iffy so far on Omaha.  It's a broader, vaudevillian comedy that usually isn't my thing, but the elements of Ludlum that I like - the plotting, the intricacy - are there, so I will persevere.    My favorites from him are the mid-period ones:  The Gemini Contenders, The Chancellor Manuscript, The Holcroft Covenant, The Matarese Circle, and of course, The Bourne Identity (his best).  After that, he started to get a little... I don't know what word is right, but it became safe, soft.   Every one was "family!" and there was so much love and affection for the quirky, iconoclast characters.  I liked it a little more gritty, more 70s.
I hear you.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2022, 06:35:27 AM »
Joaquin Phœnix is apparently playing Napoleon in a movie!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2022, 08:27:43 PM »
A trailer for Rob Zombie's new film adaptation of the The Munsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXP0eSI-Xbw

I was a fan of the original show as a kid. I don't even know what to say about this trailer

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2022, 09:10:12 PM »
Looks like absolute shite.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2022, 11:08:57 PM »
A trailer for Rob Zombie's new film adaptation of the The Munsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXP0eSI-Xbw

I was a fan of the original show as a kid. I don't even know what to say about this trailer

This would be a leading candidate for the absolute worst movie trailer I have ever seen. Yes, I remember loving the original tv show as a kid but this is an abomination.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2022, 10:53:48 AM »
Not sure if I want to start a new thread, but David Warner died. Top notch in everything I ever saw him in. 

https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-tv-london-peter-hall-e774b497f3d05f426e1fb01911febbde
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online faizoff

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2022, 11:56:54 AM »
Not sure if I want to start a new thread, but David Warner died. Top notch in everything I ever saw him in. 

https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-tv-london-peter-hall-e774b497f3d05f426e1fb01911febbde

I remember him from the role in the original Titanic but more importantly from the several rewatches of the TMNT II movie with Vanilla Ice as a kid.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2022, 04:57:00 PM »
This is a nice little "horror" movie (Director prefers "supernatural drama"). It could be really great. Maybe someday it gets remade properly

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3174376/?ref_=tttr_tr_tt

A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2022, 08:42:09 PM »
Paul Sorvino just died too. Didn't really know him outside of Goodfellas, but damn if you are going to be known for one role, that is a pretty good one. He added a level of gravitas to the film, as if to say all these other guys may be crazy in their own ways, but with Paulie around you knew this shit was serious.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2022, 09:13:31 PM »

I remember him from the role in the original Titanic but more importantly from the several rewatches of the TMNT II movie with Vanilla Ice as a kid.

That wasn’t “the original” Titanic. But as an old guy, it makes me laugh that people say that.

I remember him as the mad scientist from the Steve Martin classic, The Man with Two Brains.

And lest we forget….the main baddie in TIME BANDITS!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2022, 08:16:26 AM »

That wasn’t “the original” Titanic. But as an old guy, it makes me laugh that people say that.

I remember him as the mad scientist from the Steve Martin classic, The Man with Two Brains.

And lest we forget….the main baddie in TIME BANDITS!!!

The first role of his that always pops into my mind when his name is mentioned is in the relatively obscure Cast a Deadly Spell.  It's a tongue-in-cheek Lovecraftian noir film made for HBO.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2022, 05:04:13 PM »
Movies are becoming too long. Yeah, I know, "people just don't have the time for music anymore" and evidently not for movies, but why the vast majority of movies are becoming longer and longer? it has nothing to do with an attention span, if the movie is good enough I can keep my concentration up to nearly 3 hours, problem is I don't always have 3 hours of consecutive free time, and it's getting annoying to always skip through potential picks for a movie too watch because I don't have time (or maybe will, in the middle of a working week) to sit through 2h40' of running time.

Can't you tell a proper story in 1h45' / 2 hours? do a series.

Of course, needless to say, there are some movies where the 3 hours (or slightly less) running time is totally warranted, but not every movie needs to close in at 3 hours.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2022, 01:37:16 AM »
I think the only thing worse than bad acting in a movie or TV show is bad exposition dialogue. "So and so, you're my brother/cousin/sister and I love you, but..." Nobody talks like this. C
I swear I just heard this exact complaint online somewhere. From a comedian maybe? I've been watching a lot of Tom Segura, so maybe he dropped in something about it.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2022, 11:06:48 AM »
I think the only thing worse than bad acting in a movie or TV show is bad exposition dialogue. "So and so, you're my brother/cousin/sister and I love you, but..." Nobody talks like this. C
I swear I just heard this exact complaint online somewhere. From a comedian maybe? I've been watching a lot of Tom Segura, so maybe he dropped in something about it.

I'm on board with this 100%, too.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2022, 02:00:57 PM »

I'm on board with this 100%, too.
Oh, definitely. And I think I remember where I heard this. I like to watch a lot of youtubers react to movies I enjoy. It's kind of like seeing the movie again for the first time. But anyway, I'm pretty sure one of the youtubers was a filmmaker or film student and had this comment about one of the movies they were watching.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2022, 10:18:43 AM »
Wolfgang Peterson died. Directed the great Das Boot and In the Line of Fire, among others. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2022, 10:57:11 AM »
Saw a couple new trailers today, one for the Weird Al bio which looks great and Babylon which is a Margot Robbie/Brad Pitt flick. Margot in that trailer . . . yowza.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2022, 05:58:40 PM »
Robbie Coltrain died. He was aces as the Russian agent the Brosnan Bond films, and of course as Hagrid, one of the two actors JK Rowling insisted on being in the film versions of Harry Potter (if memory serves...).

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2022, 09:13:30 AM »
Wow so Jennifer Lawrence just came out and said there were no female action heroes before she did Hunger Games?!?!?! Ellen Ripley? Sarah Conner? LOL what a stupid self-important bitch. Never liked her anyway but now I can triple down on it.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2022, 09:22:33 AM »
That’s an extreme reaction, but yeah she’s dead wrong. And those movies. Alien and Terminator, will be still be remembered for years to come. Whereas no one cares about The Hunnger Games 10 years later. I watched all four of those movies earlier this year for the first time and I don’t get the hype.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2022, 09:36:30 AM »
Wow so Jennifer Lawrence just came out and said there were no female action heroes before she did Hunger Games?!?!?! Ellen Ripley? Sarah Conner? LOL what a stupid self-important bitch. Never liked her anyway but now I can triple down on it.

I think she said 'leads'.  Sarah Connor was not really the lead.   Ellen Ripley is famously a last minute gender swap, originally written as a male, with most of the dialog unchanged.  But yeah when Aliens rocks up she most certainly is the lead, and a action hero.  Also Kill Bill and the Jolie Tomb Raiders - but to be fair there aren't that many successful ones I guess.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2022, 10:28:58 AM »
Do you ever have just a regular reaction, or is it always way too much and over the top?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2022, 10:30:19 AM »
Just don't tell him that Jennifer Lawrence and Tom Brady are now reportedly dating.   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2022, 10:30:41 AM »
Just don't tell him that Jennifer Lawrence and Tom Brady are now reportedly dating.
:lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2022, 09:58:41 AM »

:lol She's not 80 yet!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2022, 12:31:45 PM »
 :lol

It was funny reading that she said that though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2022, 06:39:01 AM »
Jennifer Lawrence did that lie detector test thing a while back and said she always tips well.  The machine showed that she was lying, and then she admitted that she was.  As a former bartender, she can go jump in a lake with Tiger Woods, Jennifer Lopez and Michael Jordan, who are three more celebs known for being horrible tippers.