Author Topic: Just General non specific MOVIE FILM Chat Thread !  (Read 8026 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just General non specific MOVIE FILM Chat Thread !
« on: October 05, 2021, 04:03:11 PM »
I was searching for a thread that doesn't exist so I decided to make it !!

All MOVIE FILM NEWS AND ANNOUNCE OPINION TO BE POST HERE !!!!!

I do the begins !!!

So Scream 5 is coming out...

What's the 'gag' in this one ? Soft reboots? Where it's kinda a sequel but really a secret remake a la Force Awakens / Tron Legacy / Jurassic World ?

I have seen the original three which was a riff on horror films and trilogies in general. Didn't bother with Part 4

And I never got the big deal with Wes Craven. I thought all his films were really cookie cutter and generic AF.

Plus the whole teen slasher genre that followed the original Scream was as cannibalistic as you could get.

In a film making sense not a visceral sense ;)

DISCUSS PLEASE

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Just General non specific MOVIE FILM Chat Thread !
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 06:20:24 PM »
I've never seen a Scream film, but I generally don't watch any movies of the horror/slasher genre.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 06:38:15 PM »
I feel like I should watch Scream at some point (seen bits and pieces) but like Chris, I’m not a horror fan at all so I doubt I’d get much out of it other than enjoying Mathew Lillard.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 07:16:06 PM »
I've lost my taste for horror films.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 06:42:10 AM »
Around that time every film seemed to be the same. Which is the case when something is super successful - you're gonna get a lot of copycats riding their coat tails.

Stuff like I know What You Did Last Summer and Final Destination and Red Eye etc etc.

And they were 0% 'scary' and 0% horror. They were just Dawsons Creek with jump scares.

And jump scares are not 'scary'. It's literally an instinctive reaction. Film Critic Mark Kermode calls it 'cattle prod cinema'.

It's sneaking up behind someone and jabbing your thumbs in their ribs. They're gonna react.

Were they 'SCARED' ? No it's a visceral instinctive reaction. It's SO cheap.

That's ALL those 'scary' films now like Paranomal Activity. The Conjuring...etc. It's quiet quiet quiet quiet BANG HAHA YOU WERE SOOO SCARED HAHA

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 07:09:20 AM »
Never really cared for horror films. Last one I saw was Mama, because some friends wanted to see it. It was fine I guess but nothing special.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Adami

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 07:14:22 AM »
I think the only horror film that I enjoyed (but will never watch again because it destroyed my soul) was Antichrist by Lars Von Trier. Good god!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 07:21:39 AM »
^ yeah i've heard that's quite something. CHAOS REIGNS !!!🦊 :biggrin:

Last one I enjoyed was the CUBE trilogy. As it's not just death death death death oh every character is dead so what was the point ?

I love Event Horizon and The Shining. Not intereeted in the current batch of OMG SCARY DOLL / HOUSE !!!!!

On the whole I prefer psychological horror where everything has a horrible uneasy feeling. not just quiet quiet quiet BANG SOMEONE IN THE MIRROR OMG

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 07:56:28 AM »
I kind of lost interest in the horror genre years ago, but I will occasionally watch one that get a lot of critical blessing.

The last two that I remember seeing were The Witch and The Babadook, both of which were quite good.

For my money, Wes Craven's best horror film was Wes Craven's New Nightmare.  Pretty meta, and laid the groundwork for some concepts he would later explore in Scream.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 08:02:10 AM »
Scream is a bloody brilliant movie, a little bit of it's time these days - but still holds up.  The sequels are mixed with 2 & 4 being pretty good actually, part 3 pretty much sucks as does the TV series.

I love a good horror, or even just a cheesy horror to be honest - will happily sit and watch of the big franchise films of the 80's or the modern ones.  Only ones I tend to avoid are the torture ones (Saw, Hostel etc...).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 02:47:39 PM »
Not interested in Hostel ( named cause it sounds like Hostile? ) or Saw.

But I enjoyed the CUBE series as it was more about the characters and the puzzles not just the gore.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 04:32:21 PM »
I hope Sidney survives the series. Or she pulls an Alien 3 and takes the villain down with her.

Online Adami

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 04:36:04 PM »
I hope Sidney survives the series. Or she pulls an Alien 3 and takes the villain down with her.

And then dies and comes back as a clone?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 04:39:08 PM »

And then dies and comes back as a clone?

Yes.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 04:42:30 PM »
Scream : Resurrections.

And it's a riff on straight to video sequels with all different cast and crew.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 05:23:16 PM »
Ok ironically I just watched the trailer for Scream 5.

Same old same old. But why does Courtney Cox look so bad ? Neve Campbell looks like she's aged really well but Monica looks really haggard

with bad botox.

I noticed at the FRIENDS reunion too - most of them looked a lot older and portlier - but Jen looked like she has had zero work done

and actually looked really good still. Considering her age. If she's had work done - it doesn't show. It's always a shame when people do that

as it NEVER looks good. Literally never. You just end up looking like an uncanny valley version of yourself.

Or you end up looking like a completely different person like Rene Zellwegger.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2021, 08:49:10 AM »
Yeah, some of these actors resort to plastic surgery and it has the opposite effect from what they intended.

Courtney Cox looks TERRIBLE.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2021, 09:20:38 AM »
They'd all look so much better if they aged properly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2021, 09:45:38 AM »
I'm sorry, and there's no sexism here because it applies to men as well:   no matter HOW badly you've aged, the "you don't even look like you anymore" effect of plastic surgery is worse.   I watched the Kim Kardashian SNL and her smile doesn't look like "her" any more.   I watch The Masked Singer and Jenny McCarthy is (was?) a BEAUTIFUL woman, but she had something done to her mouth/teeth and it doesn't look like "her" anymore.    Perry Farrell; a unique looking guy, handsome in his own way, now looks like a rubber mask.   

You CAN age gracefully:   Diedre Hall, Fran Drescher (who I think is flat out HOT at 65), the aforementioned Neve Campbell... all still beautiful despite not looking 28 anymore. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2021, 09:58:35 AM »
Aniston doesn't look like she's had anything done. I mean she's probably plastered in foundation and makeup but thats different.

She doesn't have that plastic soul-less duck face death stare that Courtney does.

The two Matthews just look OLDER. Which is FINE. They're just going with it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2021, 12:19:32 PM »
I'm sorry, and there's no sexism here because it applies to men as well:   no matter HOW badly you've aged, the "you don't even look like you anymore" effect of plastic surgery is worse.   I watched the Kim Kardashian SNL and her smile doesn't look like "her" any more.   I watch The Masked Singer and Jenny McCarthy is (was?) a BEAUTIFUL woman, but she had something done to her mouth/teeth and it doesn't look like "her" anymore.    Perry Farrell; a unique looking guy, handsome in his own way, now looks like a rubber mask.   

You CAN age gracefully:   Diedre Hall, Fran Drescher (who I think is flat out HOT at 65), the aforementioned Neve Campbell... all still beautiful despite not looking 28 anymore.
Agreed on all of that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2021, 05:56:00 PM »
Christa Miller (who played Kate on The Drew Carey Show) is another who ruined her face with botox or plastic surgery or whatever.  And she had what I considered an awesome smile, and now it is gone.  I cannot imagine the pressure women face in Hollywood of trying to get roles as they age, and I am sure these decisions are made to try and stay young looking in order to continuing getting roles, but jeez.

Online Adami

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2021, 05:59:19 PM »
Christa Miller (who played Kate on The Drew Carey Show) is another who ruined her face with botox or plastic surgery or whatever.  And she had what I considered an awesome smile, and now it is gone.  I cannot imagine the pressure women face in Hollywood of trying to get roles as they age, and I am sure these decisions are made to try and stay young looking in order to continuing getting roles, but jeez.

They actually made fun of that a lot in Scrubs with her character.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2021, 08:44:49 PM »
It's the Janice Syndrome. Too much plastic surgery makes every woman look like Janice from the Muppets.

Trying to post a picture but it ain't working for some reason I don't have time to figure out.

https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Janice

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2021, 08:12:04 AM »

Wow, that's sad. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2021, 10:36:54 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2021, 04:42:15 PM »
Oh my God that looks dreadful :lolpalm:

Even worse than Home Alone 4.

But it's not a remake - it's literally Home Alone 6.

Also it looks like they try a new one every 10 years or so. With worse results.

EDIT

I actually prefer Home Alone 2 as it's essentially the exact same film again but I think it's funnier. Home Alone 3 is actually really funny for what it is but Home ALone 4 is a huge turd.

Never bothered with 5 and 100% will not bother with this.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 04:53:49 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2021, 06:52:51 AM »
It's time to retire the one note piano intro in movie trailers.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2021, 08:10:41 AM »
That remake have a hard time competing with my childhood memories.

There's just no Home Alone withouth a screaming Marv.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2021, 08:16:46 AM »
It's time to retire the one note piano intro in movie trailers.

Long overdue. Plus all the meaningless lofty dialogue

"...You ever get the feeling you were meant for something more....? "

"...The question is....which path will you take ?..."

" You...were born for this..."

" You ...have one chance..."

Plus the normally bouncy pop song reduced to a quarter of the speed and played exclusively on piano with the breathy mournful female vocal.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2021, 08:17:57 AM »
That remake have a hard time competing with my childhood memories.

There's just no Home Alone withouth a screaming Marv.

Also it's not a remake - it's just Home Alone 6.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2021, 03:38:09 AM »
The cast of Ghostbusters 2016 are calling the new Afterlife movie " An insult to the 2016  movie "

...right... And your thrown together in a weekend steaming pile of script-less improv was not an insult to the original movie ?

For the record - I watched 2016 - and whilst it wasn't the worst thing i'd ever seen - it wasn't good either.

The new one at least looks like a FILM and not like a feature length SNL sketch.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2021, 08:51:31 AM »
I think the only thing worse than bad acting in a movie or TV show is bad exposition dialogue. "So and so, you're my brother/cousin/sister and I love you, but..." Nobody talks like this. Can no writer think of a way to work in that two people are related other than stating the obvious to the other person who knows the information? Or when siblings refer to each other as brother or sister, little brother, little sister instead of their names. I've never known anyone who did this. The only time I say little or younger brother is when talking to a third party. I have two brothers so I specify.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2021, 09:52:48 AM »
I'm not even American but my younger brothers call me big bro all the time - affectionately of course.

But that's also cause i'm like twice their age and they're all taller than me by several inches ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2021, 01:13:36 PM »
I think the only thing worse than bad acting in a movie or TV show is bad exposition dialogue. "So and so, you're my brother/cousin/sister and I love you, but..." Nobody talks like this. Can no writer think of a way to work in that two people are related other than stating the obvious to the other person who knows the information? Or when siblings refer to each other as brother or sister, little brother, little sister instead of their names. I've never known anyone who did this. The only time I say little or younger brother is when talking to a third party. I have two brothers so I specify.

DUDE!!!!!!!!!   

Not movies, but I'm re-reading the Robert Ludlum (The  Bourne Identity) bibliography, and as he gets older the dialogue gets SO MUCH worse, and along those lines.  I just finished The Bourne Supremacy, and every line was like that.  "Hey little bro..."   I have a brother, and I have never once ever called him anything other than "Mike" or "Dickhead".