Author Topic: Many women liked Ted Bundy  (Read 2898 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Many women liked Ted Bundy
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2021, 10:27:34 AM »
Funny, Ted really has no normal.   And to me, this question is low on the totem pole. Some answers have no relevance to my life.
I think it's kind of an interesting phenomenon. Not specifically Ted, he had plenty going for him, but maniacs in general. Richard Ramirez was a sick fuck, ugly as sin, and neither bright nor interesting. Insofar as serial killers go this guy was the absolute bottom of the barrel. Yet he had plenty of female admirers, including one that went on to marry him. He was certainly far more popular after he left the reservation than he was before. That's a curious phenomenon in my book.

It is an interesting phenomenon if one thinks on it objectively... and if one realizes that we are all (mankind) capable of the deeds these men and women serial killers perpetrate. 

Even more to Bart's point regarding removing Bundy from the objective thought and replacing him with Ramirez (or Gacy, or Mansion, etc less attractive perps)... did these killers realize, on some base instinctual level, that they might garner the attention/"love" that they seek from others (be it sexual or non-sexual) by being viewed as depraved by society in general?

I don't know if it's a choice in search of something.  Having read a fair amount about this, I gather that in many/most cases, it's an obsession that they cannot control, and in some cases even know, objectively that what they are doing is wrong, they just can't help the compulsion.   I'm sure like anything else there are examples all across the spectrum, but I do get the "compulsion" thing.
There's also the possibility of some, er, peculiar rationalizing. Ramirez married one of his admirers and they remained married for [I think] nine years. I'm pretty sure he fathered a child with her, as well. Ramirez raped and murdered octogenarians, and she seemed to have no problem with it. What fascinates me is that she cut off all contact when she learned that a little girl was one of his victims, citing disgust with his actions. Raping and murdering the elderly is acceptable to her, but only a sick fuck would do the same to children? This is a value judgement that intrigues me. It suggests that her values may well be closer to his than that of what we typically consider normal society's.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2021, 10:42:01 AM »
Many women liked Ted Bundy

How would you explain that phenomenon?
Were those women normal?
Do many women like you?

Does it matter here? This is a thread about Ted Bundy and his appeal on women FFS, not about me and my appeal. I don't get what's your point.

His point is that you are a troll.  Goodbye.
Well, to be fair, that wasn't my EXACT point.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2021, 12:51:42 PM »
Funny, Ted really has no normal.   And to me, this question is low on the totem pole. Some answers have no relevance to my life.
I think it's kind of an interesting phenomenon. Not specifically Ted, he had plenty going for him, but maniacs in general. Richard Ramirez was a sick fuck, ugly as sin, and neither bright nor interesting. Insofar as serial killers go this guy was the absolute bottom of the barrel. Yet he had plenty of female admirers, including one that went on to marry him. He was certainly far more popular after he left the reservation than he was before. That's a curious phenomenon in my book.

It is an interesting phenomenon if one thinks on it objectively... and if one realizes that we are all (mankind) capable of the deeds these men and women serial killers perpetrate. 

Even more to Bart's point regarding removing Bundy from the objective thought and replacing him with Ramirez (or Gacy, or Mansion, etc less attractive perps)... did these killers realize, on some base instinctual level, that they might garner the attention/"love" that they seek from others (be it sexual or non-sexual) by being viewed as depraved by society in general?

I don't know if it's a choice in search of something.  Having read a fair amount about this, I gather that in many/most cases, it's an obsession that they cannot control, and in some cases even know, objectively that what they are doing is wrong, they just can't help the compulsion.   I'm sure like anything else there are examples all across the spectrum, but I do get the "compulsion" thing.
There's also the possibility of some, er, peculiar rationalizing. Ramirez married one of his admirers and they remained married for [I think] nine years. I'm pretty sure he fathered a child with her, as well. Ramirez raped and murdered octogenarians, and she seemed to have no problem with it. What fascinates me is that she cut off all contact when she learned that a little girl was one of his victims, citing disgust with his actions. Raping and murdering the elderly is acceptable to her, but only a sick fuck would do the same to children? This is a value judgement that intrigues me. It suggests that her values may well be closer to his than that of what we typically consider normal society's.

The bold above somewhat circles-back to the premise that everyone is capable of these types of acts I think.  Perhaps more people in society have embraced that opinion and are more in-touch with that dark-self than we "normies" tend to believe.

I remember watching a YT documentary on Ed Gein a few years ago and being stunned a bit by how nonchalant Ed was... he just took what happened in stride as far as I could see from the photos. 
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2021, 10:25:21 AM »

The bold above somewhat circles-back to the premise that everyone is capable of these types of acts I think.  Perhaps more people in society have embraced that opinion and are more in-touch with that dark-self than we "normies" tend to believe.

I remember watching a YT documentary on Ed Gein a few years ago and being stunned a bit by how nonchalant Ed was... he just took what happened in stride as far as I could see from the photos.

I'm not saying you're saying this, but I know that I won't go that far that we're all capable of that.  We're not.  I hear that a lot in the identity politics realm; "oh we're ALL a little homosexual".   Well, no, we're not.  I'm a lot of things, I'm attracted to certain things - some I'll share, some I won't - but for whatever reason, my sexual continuum doesn't include men.  It just doesn't.  I didn't choose that, I didn't train for that, it just is.  I think to a significant degree, that's a way of normalizing what some - rightly or wrongly - might think is "not normal" (in quotes not because I think homosexuality is not normal - it is - but that we're talking about a paradigm).  I think the continuum of our tolerance for abuse of another human is similar to that, but it doesn't mean we can ALL do that.  I know for me, I have a hard time with death; I like to talk a big game about being ready willing and able to defend myself and my family if need be, but if I'm being honest I don't know that I COULD do that. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2021, 11:36:27 AM »

I'm not saying you're saying this, but I know that I won't go that far that we're all capable of that.  We're not.  I hear that a lot in the identity politics realm; "oh we're ALL a little homosexual".   Well, no, we're not.  I'm a lot of things, I'm attracted to certain things - some I'll share, some I won't - but for whatever reason, my sexual continuum doesn't include men.  It just doesn't.  I didn't choose that, I didn't train for that, it just is.  I think to a significant degree, that's a way of normalizing what some - rightly or wrongly - might think is "not normal" (in quotes not because I think homosexuality is not normal - it is - but that we're talking about a paradigm).  I think the continuum of our tolerance for abuse of another human is similar to that, but it doesn't mean we can ALL do that. 
Being able to is a far cry from being understanding of. I couldn't do what any of these guys did, but I'm probably more sympathetic to them than most simply by virtue of my worldview. To me it's plausible that people could be far more so, and I can't hold that against them. That doesn't mean that I or necessarily the women in question are approving of their actions, but simply understanding of them and less apt to hold them against the maniac in question.

I know for me, I have a hard time with death; I like to talk a big game about being ready willing and able to defend myself and my family if need be, but if I'm being honest I don't know that I COULD do that.
Out of curiosity, what's the basis of the doubt? How you would react in a crisis situation, or the ethical dilemma of taking another life? If I deemed it necessary and appropriate I wouldn't have any trouble killing somebody. Practical ramifications would probably be more concerning to me than the ethical. At the same time, I have no idea if I would be able to apply that in practice. Perhaps I perform well in a split second reaction, and perhaps I choke and come down with a case of Glock leg. Ideally I never have to find out.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2021, 01:59:12 PM »
I know for me, I have a hard time with death; I like to talk a big game about being ready willing and able to defend myself and my family if need be, but if I'm being honest I don't know that I COULD do that.
Out of curiosity, what's the basis of the doubt? How you would react in a crisis situation, or the ethical dilemma of taking another life? If I deemed it necessary and appropriate I wouldn't have any trouble killing somebody. Practical ramifications would probably be more concerning to me than the ethical. At the same time, I have no idea if I would be able to apply that in practice. Perhaps I perform well in a split second reaction, and perhaps I choke and come down with a case of Glock leg. Ideally I never have to find out.

I think you got it mostly right; I'm smart enough to know that in those instances, "hesitation" is not your friend.  It's not the general need to act; I've done the Heimlich maneuver twice (once on my daughter and once on my ex-wife) and there was little hesitation and I even remembered the steps to take (check the airway, etc.)  I worry I would have that "hitch" as I think about what we say about cops: "is this necessary?  Is there any other option?"   I don't think I would be fraught with grief over ventilating a scum bag, but I would beat myself up on the what ifs.  But like you said, who knows, and I hope I never find out.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2021, 03:42:07 PM »
Guys like Ted Bundy are masters of manipulation.  He could probably make any average person like him until someone smart enough to see through his bullshit came along.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2021, 04:36:36 PM »
Guys like Ted Bundy are masters of manipulation.  He could probably make any average person like him until someone smart enough to see through his bullshit came along.
This is no doubt true, but once he's in prison people have to seek him out for that chance to be manipulated. That's the curious part.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2021, 09:52:54 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2021, 11:19:37 AM »

I'm not saying you're saying this, but I know that I won't go that far that we're all capable of that.  We're not.  I hear that a lot in the identity politics realm; "oh we're ALL a little homosexual".   Well, no, we're not.  I'm a lot of things, I'm attracted to certain things - some I'll share, some I won't - but for whatever reason, my sexual continuum doesn't include men.  It just doesn't.  I didn't choose that, I didn't train for that, it just is.  I think to a significant degree, that's a way of normalizing what some - rightly or wrongly - might think is "not normal" (in quotes not because I think homosexuality is not normal - it is - but that we're talking about a paradigm).  I think the continuum of our tolerance for abuse of another human is similar to that, but it doesn't mean we can ALL do that.  I know for me, I have a hard time with death; I like to talk a big game about being ready willing and able to defend myself and my family if need be, but if I'm being honest I don't know that I COULD do that.

I'm not sure that I'd agree with the comparison to the sexual in this instance... though sexuality is a presence in almost all of this types of cases I would think.  I would argue that the sexual component of most of these cases is a means-to-an-end leading to the murder/death/chaos aspect of these types of actions.  Perhaps it's not the sexual appetites in the end that drives the acts, but the taste for the acts themselves.  I think that we're all capable of developing these tastes/dispositions over time... perhaps lead into them by other tastes that we can develop (see Bundy's last interview) or by the influence of the immediate environment.

When I say "we" I mean humanity in general,

I read an interesting book a few years ago titled Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland; the book is in some ways a study of the conditions necessary to lead a person down the path of atrocity.  "The architypes are in us and eternal" as Charles Lamb said... though he was speaking specifically about a different type of evil.

Perhaps a more clear way to state my thought is that the potential for this is in all of us... but the conditions must be "right" to draw-out the action.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar