Author Topic: Learn a new instrument  (Read 819 times)

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Learn a new instrument
« on: October 02, 2021, 05:26:55 AM »
So i've decided to start practicing bass kinda seriously. I say that because i'm not going crazy over it but I wanna learn it proper. I've played a bit of bass over the years but never really practiced it. I mostly wanna do it beacuse it's fun but also because i'm thinking playing loops with my drum students to practice beats and so on.

It's funny because i've played alot of piano over the years and also mallet percussion so i'm well versed in that system but finding notes on a fretboard is one of the things I find kinda tricky especially going between strings. I can visualize it better on a piano but I guess that's just what i'm more used to.
Then add the whole drop thing like drop D i'm just more confused, isn't that confusing when all the notes get pushed up a step?

I've started playing some scales and some licks like Beat It.

Any tips on what I should learn in the beginning?

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Learn a new instrument
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 03:08:20 AM »
Things you want to learn and enjoy playing is the best to do when you're starting out :)

As for where the notes are; in my mind I visualise a guitar fretboard, combined with a piano lay-out. It doesn't really matter how you do it, I reckon, but you'll need to find a way that's useful to you. A guitar (or bass guitar) is quite logical in one sense, because it's just all the notes from low to high on a string for example, but actually quite difficult in another, since the same note can be found in more places.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 04:10:15 AM »
Yea that's exactly the thing, it's easy since you just go up for higher notes on the same string but it gets tricky when you go between strings.

Things you want to learn and enjoy playing is the best to do when you're starting out :)
:tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 12:54:22 PM »
Learn your chords. This may seem silly as the bass is generally a single note instrument, but if you know your chord positionings, you’ll be able to play more interesting lines and really impact the harmony instead of hanging on the root of the chord all the time.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 12:08:02 PM »
Learn your chords. This may seem silly as the bass is generally a single note instrument, but if you know your chord positionings, you’ll be able to play more interesting lines and really impact the harmony instead of hanging on the root of the chord all the time.
Yea that's a good tip, thx!