Author Topic: DT tour delayed ...scratch that ...it's started  (Read 45768 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: DT tour delayed ...scratch that ...new dates announced
« Reply #525 on: December 25, 2021, 09:51:40 AM »
For what is worth, JP got the booster shot.

Says who?
https://youtu.be/PpwuWXL4GBw

Is not letting me time stamp it, but at 55:15 he mentions it. Glasser might appreciate this interview since he tells the story about, well Glasser  :lol

Funny thing is I used the name Glasser from pure memory from a conversation with Portnoy telling me names they were thinking of to replace Majesty so I remember Glasser and Grey Matter. Great  memories!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #526 on: December 28, 2021, 12:39:13 PM »
Nick masons saucerful of secrets just postponed their North American leg of the 2022 tour.

It doesn’t seem quite as bad as the spring two years ago, but a lot of bands are starting to pull the plug. I’m still wondering if Dream Theater is going to move forward or not. I keep thinking that there’s a 50-50 chance will get an announcement any day that the whole thing has been pushed back to the end of the year.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #527 on: December 28, 2021, 01:01:51 PM »
Nick masons saucerful of secrets just postponed their North American leg of the 2022 tour.

It doesn’t seem quite as bad as the spring two years ago, but a lot of bands are starting to pull the plug. I’m still wondering if Dream Theater is going to move forward or not. I keep thinking that there’s a 50-50 chance will get an announcement any day that the whole thing has been pushed back to the end of the year.

I have been reading that omicron in Africa where it started is dropping just as rapidly as it went up. That could be good. Right before Christmas I got the latest newsletter from JP. Reiterating the tour.  :corn

Offline Kram

« Reply #528 on: December 28, 2021, 01:03:35 PM »

I've been thinking about this as well.  I also keep thinking they should have toured in October when the infection rates were lower.  You had to figure it'd be worse in Feb.  Not sure what they were thinking.  Hopefully they'll just suck it up and move forward, as there will always be another variant and it's just part of the "new normal" we have to get used to living with.

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #529 on: December 29, 2021, 09:59:24 AM »
The last time the votes were 2 against 3..I wonder what will happen if we see the same scenario being played again..the band hasn't seen the road from like March 2020, that's almost two years.

JP has some difficult decisions to make, on one side there are tools that weren't available last year..there are vaccines and a pill with a potential to be an effective treatment but on the other hand this virus is very unpredictable and it is my opinion that it will give more mutations, given what we have seen so far. If we are lucky enough and the data are confirmed that it is becoming less severe then they should get on the road.

Either way the lesson that JP has to learn is that you can't please everyone and besides him there are people that have families and depend on the band to make a living..it's not easy but being a leader he has to take a responsibility and move forward.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #530 on: December 29, 2021, 10:51:48 AM »
The last time the votes were 2 against 3..I wonder what will happen if we see the same scenario being played again..the band hasn't seen the road from like March 2020, that's almost two years.

JP has some difficult decisions to make, on one side there are tools that weren't available last year..there are vaccines and a pill with a potential to be an effective treatment but on the other hand this virus is very unpredictable and it is my opinion that it will give more mutations, given what we have seen so far. If we are lucky enough and the data are confirmed that it is becoming less severe then they should get on the road.

Either way the lesson that JP has to learn is that you can't please everyone and besides him there are people that have families and depend on the band to make a living..it's not easy but being a leader he has to take a responsibility and move forward.

You could say he's facing his "Path that Divides" scenario.  :corn
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #531 on: December 29, 2021, 01:05:48 PM »
I don't think the US tour will get canceled/postponed a second time. The tour leg in Europe might be a different story, though...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Glasser

« Reply #532 on: December 29, 2021, 01:35:26 PM »
The real question on this is the tour financially logical. Speaking with other known bands I have been told that its expensive enough to pay everyone involved (road crew, sound and light crew, merch ppl etc...) As well as the travel expenses themself along with the risk of being too ill to perform. With a lot of people still apprehensive to go to shows (and I personally know a lot) does it make sense to tour? Believe you me, I am sick to my stomach to even have this conversation.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #533 on: December 29, 2021, 03:47:54 PM »
Perhaps they could book smaller venues and downsize the production, at least during the pandemic anyway. That would cut a lot of expenses and could still be a successful tour.   
The Neal Morse band is a good example of this.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #534 on: January 03, 2022, 02:37:03 AM »
What is the probability that it will be a tour start?

Have any tickets been sold?

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #535 on: January 05, 2022, 02:15:35 PM »
What is the probability that it will be a tour start?

I can only go by the NY, NJ & PA shows, but I just don't see how these shows can go forward with the lack of tickets sold ??? All 3 places are much less than half sold :facepalm: And add people's concerns over this pandemic and seeing so many bands postponing shows/tours, I would be shocked to see this tour go ahead as planned.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #536 on: January 05, 2022, 02:25:37 PM »
Yeah, we'll see. Ticketmaster sent me an email last week that we'll have to show out Vax Card to get in for the Boston show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #537 on: January 05, 2022, 02:27:54 PM »
I think they are doing the tour. A cameo just a few days ago with James, mentions hoping to see them this tour.
And I received a newsletter from JP about a week ago also reiterating the tour.

Offline Kram

« Reply #538 on: January 05, 2022, 03:29:33 PM »
I'm thinking if they are going to postpone the tour, we should hear about it soon.  I doubt they'll postpone it last minute.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #539 on: January 05, 2022, 03:50:13 PM »
The promoters must be having a sh*t storm over the lack of tickets sold.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #540 on: January 05, 2022, 04:08:29 PM »
The Mesa show seems to be fine.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #541 on: January 05, 2022, 04:37:44 PM »
The Mesa show seems to be fine.

That's awesome! Maybe just an "east coast" thing then.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: January 05, 2022, 05:12:22 PM »
I'm thinking if they are going to postpone the tour, we should hear about it soon.  I doubt they'll postpone it last minute.

To the contrary, if they do, I think it will be last minute.  It's too early to postpone now, but I think by the end of January we will have an idea. 

Just today I saw a band (Glassjaw) only postpone the first half of their tour to start the year. 

I only have one concert on my schedule this month (at the end) and that band has been posting about the tour even today so we will see.

But if you ask me, I think the band most certainly could have completed their original dates and not have the tour be up in the air again.  However, it's entirely possible this covid wave is on the downfall when this starts and it can happen so it might work out perfectly.  We will see.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #543 on: January 05, 2022, 07:08:53 PM »
The exact seats a friend and I refunded last month for the STL show (10th row and pretty close to dead center) are back up for sale and still available and for like 30 dollars cheaper.  Dang. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #544 on: January 05, 2022, 11:50:03 PM »
I just started a job for a local city on Monday and we are already being told to stay out of the office and everything‘s in lockdown. All my new job training is pretty much going to be happening at home on my own computer.

I’m training to become an electrical inspector and they’re already talking about canceling all non-necessary inspections.

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #545 on: January 06, 2022, 07:46:29 AM »
The exact seats a friend and I refunded last month for the STL show (10th row and pretty close to dead center) are back up for sale and still available and for like 30 dollars cheaper.  Dang.

Dang. So, are you not going? I'm tempted to get a refund for our and then re-buy for cheaper but I like where we are. First row balcony....works out well for all five of us and guarantees no giant sits in front of the kiddos.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Glasser

« Reply #546 on: January 06, 2022, 09:00:59 AM »
I just started a job for a local city on Monday and we are already being told to stay out of the office and everything‘s in lockdown. All my new job training is pretty much going to be happening at home on my own computer.

I’m training to become an electrical inspector and they’re already talking about canceling all non-necessary inspections.

Congrats on the new gig but damn man, lockdown again. Next thing is cancelling holidays to avoid gatherings. Non-necessary inspections? What is a non-necessary appointment????

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #547 on: January 06, 2022, 09:09:07 AM »
It's sad to see so many difficulties for people getting shows in their hometowns/nearby while us might not get another DT show ever again :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Glasser

« Reply #548 on: January 06, 2022, 09:40:49 AM »
It's sad to see so many difficulties for people getting shows in their hometowns/nearby while us might not get another DT show ever again :'(

I'm pretty sure they will find their way back under Peruvian Skies.  :)

Offline Kram

« Reply #549 on: January 06, 2022, 10:35:23 AM »

To the contrary, if they do, I think it will be last minute.  It's too early to postpone now, but I think by the end of January we will have an idea. 

Just today I saw a band (Glassjaw) only postpone the first half of their tour to start the year. 

I only have one concert on my schedule this month (at the end) and that band has been posting about the tour even today so we will see.

But if you ask me, I think the band most certainly could have completed their original dates and not have the tour be up in the air again.  However, it's entirely possible this covid wave is on the downfall when this starts and it can happen so it might work out perfectly.  We will see.
You're probably right.  I was thinking more along the terms that the longer they wait, the more $$ they'd lose on travel etc.  But I agree with you, they should have toured in October when they had the chance.  The rates here in California (and pretty much everywhere else) were much lower then.  Now they're enacting more restrictions and who knows whats next?  The knuckleheads here in CA, will probably say that bands who have indoor shows need to wear masks while they're playing LOL

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #550 on: January 06, 2022, 11:09:01 AM »

You're probably right.  I was thinking more along the terms that the longer they wait, the more $$ they'd lose on travel etc.  But I agree with you, they should have toured in October when they had the chance.  The rates here in California (and pretty much everywhere else) were much lower then.  Now they're enacting more restrictions and who knows whats next?  The knuckleheads here in CA, will probably say that bands who have indoor shows need to wear masks while they're playing LOL

I still think turnout may have been a concern for the band. I don't know about the rest of the venues, but less than 25% of the seats for the CT show had been sold.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: January 06, 2022, 11:13:14 AM »
We saw a performance in DC at the Warner Theater in November, where DT is scheduled to play in March.  Vax card required, masks on at all times.  The same for a Broadway show in December.  It wasn't a problem.  Seeing the shows was better than sitting at home.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #552 on: January 06, 2022, 11:16:07 AM »
We saw a performance in DC at the Warner Theater in November, where DT is scheduled to play in March.  Vax card required, masks on at all times.  The same for a Broadway show in December.  It wasn't a problem.  Seeing the shows was better than sitting at home.

Same thing when I went to NYC to see the Book of Mormon in late November of last year. I had no problem with it.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #553 on: January 06, 2022, 11:26:00 AM »
They're playing a venue here that's twice as big as what they usually play here. And they usually can't even sell out the regular venue. Right now there's so many seats available. Like 3rd row for 65 bucks still. Idk why they picked this venue.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: January 06, 2022, 11:44:23 AM »
I still think turnout may have been a concern for the band. I don't know about the rest of the venues, but less than 25% of the seats for the CT show had been sold.

I can't help but think that's a concern as well.  But it may go hand in hand, why risk touring if people aren't going to show up?

Offline Kram

« Reply #555 on: January 06, 2022, 01:08:22 PM »

I can't help but think that's a concern as well.  But it may go hand in hand, why risk touring if people aren't going to show up?
Yes, that has to be a big part of the equation.  If they can't turn a profit, it doesn't make sense going out.  I just checked Ticketmaster for the show I'm going to (San Diego).  It looks like about half the seats are sold.  They played this same venue in 2019 and it was a complete sell out.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 01:46:57 PM by Kram »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #556 on: January 06, 2022, 06:43:11 PM »

Dang. So, are you not going? I'm tempted to get a refund for our and then re-buy for cheaper but I like where we are. First row balcony....works out well for all five of us and guarantees no giant sits in front of the kiddos.

As of now, no, but we may change our minds depending on how things with COVID look and what the set list is.  Truth be told, if the concert were on the weekend like the original date was, I'd probable be in for sure, but it being in the middle of the week is a bite.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #557 on: January 06, 2022, 07:02:17 PM »

As of now, no, but we may change our minds depending on how things with COVID look and what the set list is. 

Setlist? What are you hoping for?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #558 on: January 07, 2022, 10:36:11 AM »
Why would you want to know the setlist beforehand?  Isn't the element of surprise the point of the journey?   
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: January 07, 2022, 11:52:49 AM »
Why would you want to know the setlist beforehand?  Isn't the element of surprise the point of the journey?

I wouldn't say "its the point" but for me, it's hard to resist checking it out or being spoiled.  If my show is closer to the start of the tour I'll usually hold off for the surprise element.