Author Topic: DT tour delayed ...scratch that ...it's started  (Read 46019 times)

Offline hunnus2000

Re: DT tour delayed ...scratch that ...new dates ...update pg 17 as of Jan 15
« Reply #595 on: January 21, 2022, 09:41:09 AM »
Well, I requested and received a refund for Minneapolis and last night, requested a refund for St. Louis. :(

With the wife's health problems along with the omicron surge, we just can't risk it even though we are triple vaxxed with the Moderna. <Deeeeep Sigh>

My only hope is that with after the international leg of the tour, demand will be high enough to schedule additional dates back here in the States later on in the year. I also hope the video at least one of the shows. I'd buy a DVD.

But hey, I recognize that others have it worse than me.

Much love to all the healthcare workers!  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #596 on: January 21, 2022, 10:57:01 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Hunnus.  But understandable.  Stay well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #597 on: January 21, 2022, 05:12:42 PM »
For those suffering from COVID, I hope you all get better soon. Bummer.

Regarding the tour, I picked up a ticket to the Oakland gig. Got a great orchestra section seat on the aisle. Really looking forward to the show. Hoping they play the title track from the new record. Really enjoy that one.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #598 on: January 21, 2022, 05:42:02 PM »
Regarding the tour, I picked up a ticket to the Oakland gig. Got a great orchestra section seat on the aisle. Really looking forward to the show. Hoping they play the title track from the new record. Really enjoy that one.

The title track is guaranteed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline dtrocker25

« Reply #599 on: January 23, 2022, 02:14:08 PM »
Any members here going to the Beacon show...would be cool to meet some ppl ....and does anyone have any recommendations on restaurants near The Beacon Theater

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #600 on: January 23, 2022, 08:49:33 PM »

Jordan posted a video saying he was preparing for the tour by posting a video of the solo from the title track. I know he’s posted other things before from songs that aren’t being played, but I feel like practicing a solo from the title track of their new album means there’s a solid chance they’re playing it lol.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #601 on: January 24, 2022, 10:24:16 AM »
Mike shared pics of his new kit on Facebook and had this to say in the comments:

for the record, this kit is being used for this tour because it is the AVFTTOTW tour with a lot of music from it.  It is far less musical for older releases because it doesn't match the music. Although a 4 piece could be used, it has no chance whatsoever to be as musical since the music can't be played like the music goes. It has less tones, less frequencies to shake your lower parts, less range. It requires more sacrifices musically, but it is enough for me to play classic Dream Theater and kind of get through my era of DT pre AVFTTOTW.

I wonder if they'll be playing every song off the new album each night?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: January 24, 2022, 10:36:05 AM »
Mike shared pics of his new kit on Facebook and had this to say in the comments:

for the record, this kit is being used for this tour because it is the AVFTTOTW tour with a lot of music from it.  It is far less musical for older releases because it doesn't match the music. Although a 4 piece could be used, it has no chance whatsoever to be as musical since the music can't be played like the music goes. It has less tones, less frequencies to shake your lower parts, less range. It requires more sacrifices musically, but it is enough for me to play classic Dream Theater and kind of get through my era of DT pre AVFTTOTW.

-Marc.

God I hope they don't do that.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #603 on: January 24, 2022, 10:50:52 AM »

-Marc.

God I hope they don't do that.

Well, he just said...
It matches the new album though, and we're playing a lot of it, so this kit should be fun to play.
- with regards to the new kit. Then someone replied saying they should play the whole album and Mike liked the comment.

I'd say out of the 7 new songs, they'll play at least 5, including the 3 that were singles and the epic.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline JRuless

« Reply #604 on: January 24, 2022, 11:04:41 AM »
TA, IM, TSG, ATM  & AVFTTOTW
My guess

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #605 on: January 24, 2022, 11:05:16 AM »
It is far less musical for older releases because it doesn't match the music. Although a 4 piece could be used, it has no chance whatsoever to be as musical since the music can't be played like the music goes.
-MM 

Can someone who musics better than me explain what he's talking about here?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #606 on: January 24, 2022, 11:08:25 AM »
It is far less musical for older releases because it doesn't match the music. Although a 4 piece could be used, it has no chance whatsoever to be as musical since the music can't be played like the music goes.
-MM 

The drum set he used to record View was relatively small to other sets he's used.  He's using a small kit on tour.  It will work for the songs from View because it's got all of the individual drums and cymbals that he played on view.  However, he'll have to make modifications for some of the older songs because the kit won't have all of the drums/cymbals needed to play those songs exactly as they were on the albums.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #607 on: January 24, 2022, 11:11:21 AM »
-MM 

The drum set he used to record View was relatively small to other sets he's used.  He's using a small kit on tour.  It will work for the songs from View because it's got all of the individual drums and cymbals that he played on view.  However, he'll have to make modifications for some of the older songs because the kit won't have all of the drums/cymbals needed to play those songs exactly as they were on the albums.

So he's got to add pieces to account for older songs. Makes sense  :tup

Offline Kram

« Reply #608 on: January 24, 2022, 11:44:03 AM »
OK, new set-list prediction based on this latest information.

The Glass Prison
At Wits End
The Alien
Answering the Call
Invisible Monster
Sleeping Giant
Transcending Time
Awaken the Master
A View from the Top of the World

Encore: Octavarium

Total run time just under 2 hours

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #609 on: January 24, 2022, 12:10:02 PM »
That would be cool,but I don't see them doing two epics back to back.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #610 on: January 24, 2022, 12:11:56 PM »
-MM 

So he's got to add pieces to account for older songs. Makes sense  :tup

The new touring kit is basically his AVFTTOTW studio kit + 2 more drums and a few extra cymbals, but it's still smaller than his previous kits and most of the "big" kits MP used.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #611 on: January 24, 2022, 12:21:27 PM »
The new touring kit is basically his AVFTTOTW studio kit + 2 more drums and a few extra cymbals, but it's still smaller than his previous kits and most of the "big" kits MP used.
It's funny that his kit continues to get smaller and smaller with each progressive tour, which is a bit ironic to me given how he was so proud of the massive kit he put together and used for ADToE. I know he has his "reasons" in trying to be more efficient or to challenge himself or whatever he says (I don't remember), but I wonder if part of it comes down to economics and the fact that he is an employee as opposed to an equal member to JP and JM. MP could get away with it since he was equal to JP and JM, but MM obviously is not. Plus with the additional "production" JP wants to bring along with the fancier stage setups and whatnot, I wonder if that could be a reason why they wanted him to trim down the size of his kit.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #612 on: January 24, 2022, 12:25:29 PM »
It's funny that his kit continues to get smaller and smaller with each progressive tour, which is a bit ironic to me given how he was so proud of the massive kit he put together and used for ADToE. I know he has his "reasons" in trying to be more efficient or to challenge himself or whatever he says (I don't remember), but I wonder if part of it comes down to economics and the fact that he is an employee as opposed to an equal member to JP and JM. MP could get away with it since he was equal to JP and JM, but MM obviously is not. Plus with the additional "production" JP wants to bring along with the fancier stage setups and whatnot, I wonder if that could be a reason why they wanted him to trim down the size of his kit.
I didn't think that he was an employee.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #613 on: January 24, 2022, 12:36:32 PM »
They don't look at him as a employee. They said he is a member of DT the day they chose him from the auditions.  In fact, they said "Welcome to the DT family"!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #614 on: January 24, 2022, 12:41:14 PM »

Are you saying that JP is dictating the size of Mike's kit? Because of economics?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #615 on: January 24, 2022, 12:41:53 PM »

We could try, but I don't think any of us fully comprehend MM's reasoning behind a lot of stuff :lol

What I do know, though, is that he's made comments a couple times about being asked to bring less stuff with him, specially to the studio in AVFTTOTW (since they couldn't really fit a bigger kit there). But there's also what you say about him liking to be challenged to come up with a different approach for things.

Another issue would be touring costs as you said as well, but I'd imagine that'd be something they'd consider even with MP still in the band.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kram

« Reply #616 on: January 24, 2022, 12:43:06 PM »
My guess is he's a member of the Corp. or LLC, but has less of a percentage of ownership (certainly less than founding members JP & JM).

Offline Kram

« Reply #617 on: January 24, 2022, 12:44:40 PM »
That would be cool,but I don't see them doing two epics back to back.
Probably not, but would be a kick ass show!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #618 on: January 24, 2022, 01:40:23 PM »

Do you have a source for this?  Have you seen the relevant band agreements or have other reliable information about this?  While the relevant agreements could say otherwise, everything said publicly since MM joined indicates that he is a "full member" of the band and not merely an employee.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #619 on: January 24, 2022, 01:43:48 PM »
They don't look at him as a employee. They said he is a member of DT the day they chose him from the auditions.  In fact, they said "Welcome to the DT family"!
I'm not saying he's not a full band member (as opposed to a side man or "hired gun"), but I'm pretty sure he's not an owner of the band like JP and JM and therefore doesn't have an equal say in business/administrative stuff (as opposed to musical output where his input is welcomed 100% and treated equally to the other guys). I would imagine the same for JR and JL, at least for a period of time after they became band members. Probably not unlike all the guys other than Neal Schon and Jonathan Cain in Journey, or Scott Travis and Richie Faulkner in Judas Priest. They are official band members, but not equal with founding or long-time members of their respective bands.

Are you saying that JP is dictating the size of Mike's kit? Because of economics?
I'm not making an accusation that he is, but I do wonder if that could be something considered, especially given the (I imagine) especially tight budgets they are probably working within for this tour in light of the pandemic not being over yet.

Another issue would be touring costs as you said as well, but I'd imagine that'd be something they'd consider even with MP still in the band.
And that was something that did play a role in the band's tours to South America (and I believe Australia/Oceania). I know MP went from his Siamese Monster (and similar kits) to a single kit with 2 bass drums. JP also used his "B" rig on at least the 20th Anniversary tour, and preferred how it sounded, so he continued to use it for the rest of the tour. Here's video from their show in Chile where you can see the scaled down setup (in comparison to what you see in the Score video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnVjmKY5Nag
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 01:50:22 PM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #620 on: January 24, 2022, 02:19:52 PM »
We could try, but I don't think any of us fully comprehend MM's reasoning behind a lot of stuff :lol
Yeah I've given up on this  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #621 on: January 24, 2022, 06:19:27 PM »
*snip* wrong thread  :facepalm:

Offline NoFred

« Reply #622 on: January 24, 2022, 09:20:49 PM »
If ever there was a tour for them to go with a spartan setup it’s this one. Would be fine if was a simple stage and at most a simple video backdrop. Just glad to have them around again in a few weeks.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #623 on: January 25, 2022, 06:41:55 AM »
The last couple of tours, they have played at the Bass Hall in Austin which seats 2900 people. The stage is HUGE and the production that DT brought during the DoT run looked really really nice.

This time around, they are playing at the ACL Moody Theater (the one you see in TV) which holds 2750. But the stage is way way smaller. My guess is that DT is running with a lot smaller production this time around.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #624 on: January 25, 2022, 06:55:07 AM »
Here's video from their show in Chile where you can see the scaled down setup (in comparison to what you see in the Score video):

I can't believe this is the first time I'm seeing that footage. Was thay an official bootleg or something?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 07:07:39 AM by Chino »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #625 on: January 25, 2022, 07:04:37 AM »
Here's video from their show in Chile where you can see the scaled down setup (in comparison to what you see in the Score video):

I can't believe this is the first time I'm seeing that footage. Was than an official bootleg or something?
it was yes, a DVD.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #626 on: January 25, 2022, 08:17:32 AM »
So Mike is scaling down for the upcoming tour:

Mike' comments:
for the record, this kit is being used for this tour because it is the AVFTTOTW tour with a lot of music from it. It is far less musical for older releases because it doesn't match the music. Although a 4 piece could be used, it has no chance whatsoever to be as musical since the music can't be played like the music goes. It has less tones, less frequencies to shake your lower parts, less range. It requires more sacrifices musically, but it is enough for me to play classic Dream Theater and kind of get through my era of DT pre AVFTTOTW. (...) It matches the new album though, and we're playing a lot of it, so this kit should be fun to play.

I'm really looking forward to see him on a more normal sized kit, but it also made me think; I've been playing drums for nearly a decade now and I always pay close attention to the drums, but it never in a million years would have occurred to me that the new album had "less drums". If anything, I would have guessed the opposite, I think it's by far the best sounding drums of the Mangini-era, and they seem more melodic than ever before. So I guess it's a quality vs. quantity issue, mix the drums better and nail the sound and the end result will be more pleasing than three siamese monster kits glued together but having the snare sound of DT12.

It's also once again an interesting perspective from Mangini (speaking about frequencies and tooones) with regards to how the musician views the music as opposed to a fan. I wonder if budget restrains have anything to do with scaling down. At any rate, it will be interesting to see Mangini without his cage, although I will miss that fourth octoban.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #627 on: January 25, 2022, 08:49:16 AM »

I can't believe this is the first time I'm seeing that footage. Was thay an official bootleg or something?

Yes, be of the old Ytsejsm releases. It’s freaking awesome. They look like Led Zeppelin on that stage.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: January 25, 2022, 08:50:58 AM »

Yes, be of the old Ytsejsm releases. It’s freaking awesome. They look like Led Zeppelin on that stage.

I have this DVD, it's the craziest crowd I've ever seen for a DT concert.  I think that's what makes that show so unique and worthy of the official bootleg. 

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #629 on: January 25, 2022, 01:39:22 PM »
Honestly, I'd be fine if the setlist comprised mostly, if not all of A View From the Top.  Its a solid album.