Author Topic: DT16 : The Very Best of DT  (Read 5246 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: DT16 : The Very Best of DT
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2021, 09:23:29 AM »
Man, The Astonishing is truly an underrated album. In the day and age of digital media, even if you made a playlist with tracks you enjoy, there is just so much quality music there. I never quite understood those that like some of their proggier moments of the band not liking the album at all - there are some seriously great tracks. I’d love it to be one of those sleeper albums that gets more appreciation in time, but I’m the meantime, to this day, I still love it…

I think it's the bloat of TA that turns most people off to it. Yea, I can make a playlist with all the strongest material, and there is surely a lot in there, but it's not the album proper, and the album itself is way too long for its own good imo.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2021, 10:02:57 AM »
Man, The Astonishing is truly an underrated album. In the day and age of digital media, even if you made a playlist with tracks you enjoy, there is just so much quality music there. I never quite understood those that like some of their proggier moments of the band not liking the album at all - there are some seriously great tracks. I’d love it to be one of those sleeper albums that gets more appreciation in time, but I’m the meantime, to this day, I still love it…

I think it's the bloat of TA that turns most people off to it. Yea, I can make a playlist with all the strongest material, and there is surely a lot in there, but it's not the album proper, and the album itself is way too long for its own good imo.

Oh well - I rarely listen to albums as a whole unless I'm specifically in the mood, and no matter what album, there will be tracks I skip in any album proper, so i'll just continue to listen and enjoy all the things I like in the Astonishing...

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2021, 10:44:41 AM »
I wish I could join in the enthusiasm over the TA but its release was one of the most disappointing days of my Dream Theater-life. I just found it to be a headscratcher + what happened?! type of day. I would say it's the only DT album I never listen to anything from. Gift of Music is a good tune, but I just don't have itch to listen to it.

But hey-- there are as many preferences as there are people out there. For sure there are thousands who think Load and Reload are miles above Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, or who think that No Prayer for the Dying smokes Number of the Beast. To each his/her own.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2021, 11:00:43 AM »

I honestly think it's too bloated because peoples sense of time is precious, and people just don't have the time to listen to a 2+ hour album.

I am fortunate enough to have seen Operas at our local Opera house when I was younger. The format of The Astonishing plays similar to an Opera. Which are not short and are quite long with an intermission. The 2 cds is like an Act break.

All this is why I state that The Astonishing is not your casual concept album. It is the definition of a Rock Opera. And it needs to be listened to in this manner to fully appreciate what The Astonishing is.

Rather than making it an actual Opera, he gave us the cd soundtrack.

Although JP has said he wished he could've played it live first before releasing the music. That would've been way cool and more Opera-esque.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2021, 11:29:14 AM »
I'll precurser this by saying I do *like* the astonishing, however it is not just the length that many have issue with.
The main issues for me are, all in my opinion:
- The focus is on lyrics and story (fine, as it is a rock opera), however the story is not nearly strong enough to warrant 2+ hours. It is essentially a simple love story between Gabriel and Faythe and the dystopian element is relegated to background and barely touched upon;
- The music does not highlight DTs current strengths. It focuses on quieter/balled type songs, which have not been a strong point for DT currently. Sure, the old ballads are great, some brillant (see my username), however theyve lost the subtlety in their later years that made these work, and 99% of the time the later ballads come across as throwaway/cheesy;
- Whilst there is no issue with it not being metal, there are not enough interesting musical ideas to warrant 2 hours. Musically, there is a great 50-60 minute album in there, but TA is spread too thin. There's some amazing sections, but they last seconds and disappear without being built upon;
- The lyrics and character names are overtly saccherine/"cheesy" and too on the nose. I had some issue on the self titled with this as well, but it is amplified here given the focus on them.

Those are just my thoughts. I loved ADTOE and DOT was very good too so I am looking forward to the new one!

• PR permission
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2021, 11:37:17 AM »
The reception to TA might have been totally different if it were unveiled on a stage (though I am not sure how that would work) with actors and costumes. But nonetheless it came in a cd package that says "Dream Theater" on it after a 2 year break, after we had a mammoth record in DT12 dropped on our balls. That was incredibly disappointing. I am thrilled the band returned to form with DoT, which is one of their best ever. I expect nothing less than a great album in DT15, especially after hearing those snippets.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2021, 12:34:18 PM »
- The lyrics and character names are overtly saccherine/"cheesy" and too on the nose. I had some issue on the self titled with this as well, but it is amplified here given the focus on them.

I always loved that the main character/savior was named Gabriel, but I might be biased since that's my real name :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2021, 02:22:07 PM »
The reception to TA might have been totally different if it were unveiled on a stage (though I am not sure how that would work) with actors and costumes. But nonetheless it came in a cd package that says "Dream Theater" on it after a 2 year break, after we had a mammoth record in DT12 dropped on our balls. That was incredibly disappointing. I am thrilled the band returned to form with DoT, which is one of their best ever. I expect nothing less than a great album in DT15, especially after hearing those snippets.

Our opinions are literally the polar opposites, haha. Although I enjoyed D/T for a few days after its release, I haven't returned to it many times, and when I did, I found it incredibly derivative and boring, really really boring. I always forget it exists.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2021, 02:50:50 PM »
I'll precurser this by saying I do *like* the astonishing, however it is not just the length that many have issue with.
- The focus is on lyrics and story (fine, as it is a rock opera), however the story is not nearly strong enough to warrant 2+ hours. It is essentially a simple love story between Gabriel and Faythe and the dystopian element is relegated to background and barely touched upon;
- The music does not highlight DTs current strengths. It focuses on quieter/balled type songs, which have not been a strong point for DT currently. Sure, the old ballads are great, some brillant (see my username), however theyve lost the subtlety in their later years that made these work, and 99% of the time the later ballads come across as throwaway/cheesy;
- Whilst there is no issue with it not being metal, there are not enough interesting musical ideas to warrant 2 hours. Musically, there is a great 50-60 minute album in there, but TA is spread too thin. There's some amazing sections, but they last seconds and disappear without being built upon;

Those are just my thoughts. I loved ADTOE and DOT was very good too so I am looking forward to the new one!

Great response...I can agree on the "cheesy", almost cliche' story being a turn off.

The story being focused on Gabriel and Faythe and their love, is the essential plot and theme of the concept. Faythe is a play on "Faith" because she is the one that Gabriel sees as being that Faith for bringing peace to Ravenskill and The Great Northern Empire, contrasting how his brother Ahrys wants to achieve peace. Gabriel being infatuated with her is the big, big plot point where we are introduced to this connection that will be essential to restoring the peace, and we are shown Faythe's part in the peace in "Act of Faythe" when she sings, "I never knew they spent their days in rags" and how even through all this poverty and struggle, they still find time to gather in the square and enjoy Gabriels music, which is like hearing jesus speak, as no one knows or understands what this music is, "For all they know is the Noise Machines". I really do wish that Live intro narration was included on the album, or even releasing it as a stand-alone digital track, so that it can give the album and story that added "You are entering a safe place where nothing can harm you" type of introduction into the world of The Astonishing.

The music is not meant to highlight Dream Theaters strengths musically. The music is meant to compliment the story and to add the emotion of the characters, the atmosphere of the settings, and to set the tone of what is happening in each scene.

The focus on the ballad style contributes to the format of the story being an Opera. And this is not a flawless production either. JP is not a script writer, nor is he an Opera writer, or good with words. And for a first time doing a production project such as this, I feel he did an excellent job. You could take these songs and you'll have the music and story for the Opera, all you would need is the cast, setting, and those non-musical aspects of a broadway type Opera.

The musical ideas are not meant to be like how they were on SFAM. Each character has a theme, even the narrator has a certain theme and tone for their parts. The music was based around these themes and how the band used these themes to intertwine to tell a story. Each of these themes were connected to form the whole, and at parts they're used in great aspects. A flaw I would find in the use of the themes, is the use of the Brother theme, I think "Brother Can You Hear Me" could've been a bit shorter or a bit more upbeat. As it's about Arhys letting Gabriel know that with the threat of the Three Day ultimatum, him and his army will have his back and be there for him, there could've been some more energetic spots. But for me, I think it's done this way as JP wanted to portray that bond and that "Brotherhood" of not only Arhys but of the entire Militia, by making it like a big arena sing-along style type of song. I like how they subdue it to just piano, as I think that represents how the Militia and Arhys become silent while Gabriel speaks to the entire congregation, The setting for this song is at the Ravenskill Rebel Command.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2021, 02:54:35 PM »

What I really do wish would have happened with the release of this production is if they would have released it under the moniker...."The Astonishing as performed by Dream Theater", and marketed it as not your average concept album, but a production being performed by the band, with John Petrucci being the mastermind behind the story and concept.

The way in which it was revealed live, is the best possible way it could have been done. That is without going full-blown Broadway production with a vocal cast, costumes and stage production.  :lol It would be neat though if it were to achieve this type of production, but I would totally settle for an Ayreon style of production in the vein of "The Theater Equation".

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2021, 08:07:08 PM »

Great response...I can agree on the "cheesy", almost cliche' story being a turn off.

The story being focused on Gabriel and Faythe and their love, is the essential plot and theme of the concept. Faythe is a play on "Faith" because she is the one that Gabriel sees as being that Faith for bringing peace to Ravenskill and The Great Northern Empire, contrasting how his brother Ahrys wants to achieve peace. Gabriel being infatuated with her is the big, big plot point where we are introduced to this connection that will be essential to restoring the peace, and we are shown Faythe's part in the peace in "Act of Faythe" when she sings, "I never knew they spent their days in rags" and how even through all this poverty and struggle, they still find time to gather in the square and enjoy Gabriels music, which is like hearing jesus speak, as no one knows or understands what this music is, "For all they know is the Noise Machines". I really do wish that Live intro narration was included on the album, or even releasing it as a stand-alone digital track, so that it can give the album and story that added "You are entering a safe place where nothing can harm you" type of introduction into the world of The Astonishing.

The music is not meant to highlight Dream Theaters strengths musically. The music is meant to compliment the story and to add the emotion of the characters, the atmosphere of the settings, and to set the tone of what is happening in each scene.

The focus on the ballad style contributes to the format of the story being an Opera. And this is not a flawless production either. JP is not a script writer, nor is he an Opera writer, or good with words. And for a first time doing a production project such as this, I feel he did an excellent job. You could take these songs and you'll have the music and story for the Opera, all you would need is the cast, setting, and those non-musical aspects of a broadway type Opera.

The musical ideas are not meant to be like how they were on SFAM. Each character has a theme, even the narrator has a certain theme and tone for their parts. The music was based around these themes and how the band used these themes to intertwine to tell a story. Each of these themes were connected to form the whole, and at parts they're used in great aspects. A flaw I would find in the use of the themes, is the use of the Brother theme, I think "Brother Can You Hear Me" could've been a bit shorter or a bit more upbeat. As it's about Arhys letting Gabriel know that with the threat of the Three Day ultimatum, him and his army will have his back and be there for him, there could've been some more energetic spots. But for me, I think it's done this way as JP wanted to portray that bond and that "Brotherhood" of not only Arhys but of the entire Militia, by making it like a big arena sing-along style type of song. I like how they subdue it to just piano, as I think that represents how the Militia and Arhys become silent while Gabriel speaks to the entire congregation, The setting for this song is at the Ravenskill Rebel Command.

And still does it, better than every other album in my opinion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2021, 12:19:27 PM »
I wonder what a 1 song from each studio album would look like.

1. YtseJam - Good way to open. Says everything about Dream Theater that needs to be said. Plus Instrumental because no Labrie.

2. Pull Me Under

3. Caught In A Web

4. Trial Of Tears

5. The Dance Of Eternity

6. The Glass Prison

7. As I Am - could have chose In The Name Of God but wouldn't want an album of all 13+ minute songs

8. These Walls

9. In The Presence Of Enemies Part I

10. Wither

11. This Is The Life

12. The Bigger Picture

13. Our New World

14. Pale Blue Dot

• PR permission
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2021, 05:24:37 PM »
Best of using one song per album:

1. Ytse Jam
2. Take the Time (could easily be PMU, Metropolis, , UAGM, LTL, but Take the Time was the first DT song I ever heard and got me hooked)
3. Voices
4. Lines in the Sand
5. Overture + Strange DejaVu
6. Glass Prison
7. This Dying Soul
8. Panic Attack
9. ITPOE
10. Nightmare to Remember
11. Breaking All Illusions or Bridges
12. Illumination Theory
13. No idea...maybe Gift of Music but I so rarely listen to TA, that I never developed a true favorite.
14. Barstool Warrior or Pale Blue Dot....can't decide. They're both some of the best DT songs ever.
15. We'll have to wait and see but I am fairly confident in my prediction that my favorite from DT15 will not be the Alien or Invisible Monster

Online geeeemo

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2021, 07:57:13 PM »
1. Ytse Jam
2. Learning to Live
3. The Mirror
4. Lines in the Sand
5. Beyond This Life
6. Glass Prison
7. In the Name of God
8. Octavarium
9. ITPOE
10. TCOT
11. Bridges in the Sky
12. IT
13. A New Beginning
14. At Wits End

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2021, 11:00:06 PM »
I decided to mix up the order a bit for my one song per album Best Of...

1. A Fortune In Lies
2. Fall Into The Light
3. 6:00
4. The Enemy Inside
5. Beyond This Life
6. Wither
7. In The Name of God
8. The Root of All Evil
9. In The Presence of Enemies Pt.1
10. About To Crash
11. This Is The Life
12. Lines In The Sand
13. Ravenskill
14. Take The Time
15. The Alien

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2021, 12:52:24 AM »
1. Status Seeker (or The Killing Hand)
2. Learning To Live
3. Space Dye Vest
4. Trial Of Tears
5. ...
6. 6 Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (or Disappear)
7. Vacant + Stream Of Consciousness
8. Octavarium
9. In The Presence Of Enemies (1 & 2)
10. The Count Of Tuscany
11. Breaking All Illusions
12. The Bigger Picture (or Illumination Theory)
13. Ravenskill
14. Out Of Reach

Based on my favourite songs, interestingly, most of them are the longest songs on each album  :lol

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2021, 09:51:45 AM »
One off each album (no time constraints?)

A Fortune In Lies
Learning To Live
Space Dye Vest
Trial Of Tears
The Spirit Carries On
Misunderstood
In The Name Of God
Octavarium
In The Presence Of Enemies (yes I’m kind of cheating and classing it as one song)
The Count Of Tuscany
Breaking All Illusions
Illumination Theory
Our New World
At Wits End

I wouldn’t usually say the huge epics are my absolute favourites but there’s not much else that I like on Octavarium or Systematic Chaos or Black Clouds & Silver Linings.  Maybe Ministry Of Lost Souls but that’s pretty long anyway.  Illumination Theory was a tougher pick as there’s lots of good stuff on DT12.

Offline mariner

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2021, 01:12:33 PM »
OK... 1 oer album?

Afterlife
Pull Me Under (I mean... how could you not?)
Space Dye Vest
Hollow Years
The Spirit Carries On
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (hey... if Peter Mc can make Enemies one song...)
As I Am
Octavarium
Constant Motion
The Count of Tuscany
Lost Not Forgotten
Illumination Theory
The Gift of Music
Pale Blue Dot

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2021, 01:38:17 PM »
If we're doing one Mega Song from each album...

1. The Killing Hand : 8:40
2. Learning to Live : 11:30
3. Scarred : 11:00
4. Trial Of Tears : 13:05
5. Finally Free : 12:00
6. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence : 42:00

7. In The Name Of God : 14:15
8. Octavarium : 24:00
9. In The Presence Of Enemies Parts I & II : 25:40
10. The Count Of Tuscany : 18:45
11. Breaking All Illusions : 12:25
12. Illumination Theory : 22:15
13. A New Beginning : 7:40*
14. At Wits End : 9:20

Total Running Time : 232.5 minutes or 8minutes shy of 4 hours. 3 CDs worth of music ! ;D

* The Astonishing's longest track.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2021, 06:06:20 AM »
1 song from each:

- Ytse Jam (I would go Only a Matter of time if there was a studio Labrie version)
- Under a glass Moon
- Scarred
- Lines in the Sand
- Overture 1928/Strange Déjà vu
- The Glass Prison
- As I Am
- Octavarium
- In the Presence of Enemies 1&2
- The Count of Tuscany
- Breaking all Illusions
- Illumination Theory
- A New Beginning