Author Topic: ariich’s fogey roulette (v7) – FINAL RESULTS  (Read 64389 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s fogey roulette (v7) – R5 surprise early results!
« Reply #1645 on: November 01, 2021, 12:11:49 PM »
I also think of children time and spouse time.  Is your wife as passionate about music like you are?  My wife is.  I'm lucky she loves music like I do.  Many at DTF have met her.
Nah she's not really into music. She appreciates it but doesn't really pay much attention to it and doesn't listen very much.

My problem is that I need to hear something at least three times before I can form a proper opinion on it. :lol
I think for my roulettes I usually listen to everything at least like, 6 or 7 times before the results get posted.
For my roulettes I always say absolute minimum 3 listens but in reality I've been consistently manging 4 full listens to everything for my last two roulettes (plus sometimes partial 5th listens to help me with writeups). But then I'm trying to decide on pretty precise scores for these roulettes.

Whereas if I'm checking something out for only my own purposes, it varies. Especially if I've already got to know an artist, I can quite often form at least an initial opinion on some of their albums, especially where I either know I like it a lot or know I'm not so keen. It's those borderline ones (especially the border between 7/10 and 8/10) where I spend more time, as that determines whether I'm likely to get the album and give it further listens later on.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1646 on: November 01, 2021, 12:42:36 PM »
For me ... Roulette submissions always got 3 listens before I would form an opinion, and at least 3 more before I finalized that opinion.  I can only think if a few times were I didn't make it to 3 listens (sorry Puppies - I forget the song, but there was one that I just couldn't put myself through any more misery than 2 listens).

Exploring music on my own - if I'm not wow'd after one listen, rarely does it get a second chance.  There's just too much GREAT music out there to be discovered (let alone the awesome music already in my local and Spotify libraries) to bother investing my time with music that is merely "good" or "enjoyable"
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1647 on: November 01, 2021, 01:01:28 PM »
For me ... Roulette submissions always got 3 listens before I would form an opinion, and at least 3 more before I finalized that opinion.  I can only think if a few times were I didn't make it to 3 listens (sorry Puppies - I forget the song, but there was one that I just couldn't put myself through any more misery than 2 listens).

Exploring music on my own - if I'm not wow'd after one listen, rarely does it get a second chance.  There's just too much GREAT music out there to be discovered (let alone the awesome music already in my local and Spotify libraries) to bother investing my time with music that is merely "good" or "enjoyable"

How many spins did Babymetal get?  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1648 on: November 01, 2021, 01:08:32 PM »
I've processed a lot of music in each of my last two roulettes, and still kept up the pace of a round per week.

I start listening immediately. I don't wait until all submissions are in. One I finish the first listen, I write one sentence off the top of my head about what I just heard.

On the second listen, I start making notes, and on my third listen, I rough out a writeup. I can generally turn most submissions around with only 4 listens, but will have some go for a 5th if they are really close.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1649 on: November 01, 2021, 01:13:44 PM »
Sounds like you and I have a very similar process Tim.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1650 on: November 01, 2021, 01:16:26 PM »
Give me the Q

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1651 on: November 01, 2021, 01:19:15 PM »

Yeah, you just can't save all of the writeups for the very end. It's too overwhelming at that point.

The worst is when I get a submission, and I literally have nothing to say about it. :lol

I'd love to host another roulette, but I haven't been able to come up with a format I'm happy with.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1652 on: November 01, 2021, 01:33:21 PM »

Yeah, you just can't save all of the writeups for the very end. It's too overwhelming at that point.

The worst is when I get a submission, and I literally have nothing to say about it. :lol

Just as bad is when you can cut and paste a prior writeup for the new song.   I feel almost obligated to put in the time for the people that put in THEIR time to send me stuff, and except in the most egregious cases, I feel personally bad shitting on something that someone else is passionate about. So I feel like I have to find some insight or some angle on the songs even if I don't adopt them as my personal favorites. 

I'd love to host another roulette, but I haven't been able to come up with a format I'm happy with.

I was actually thinking about that over the weekend.  But what?  I didn't come to any good answers.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1653 on: November 01, 2021, 02:01:05 PM »

How many spins did Babymetal get?  :lol

According to my last.fm, I scribbled Tales of the Destinies 7 times.   :P
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1654 on: November 01, 2021, 02:38:11 PM »

I was actually thinking about that over the weekend.  But what?  I didn't come to any good answers.

I really enjoyed the anonymous roulette. I would love to make that part of the gig.

Best secretary ever!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1655 on: November 01, 2021, 02:38:55 PM »

Just as bad is when you can cut and paste a prior writeup for the new song.   I feel almost obligated to put in the time for the people that put in THEIR time to send me stuff, and except in the most egregious cases, I feel personally bad shitting on something that someone else is passionate about. So I feel like I have to find some insight or some angle on the songs even if I don't adopt them as my personal favorites. 
Yes, completely - but I feel lucky that my tastes are very broad and open in terms of style and genre, such that I can almost always find something to appreciate even if it doesn't work for me overall. But especially if someone is sending me something they love or otherwise think I'll like, the chances of me actively disliking it are incredibly low, which is reflected in the scores I hand out.

I used to hand out lower scores when I did album roulettes, as whole albums are naturally higher risk that curated sets of songs/hits. But even then I don't think I ever rated anything below a 6/10.

Hangman should be up shortly, just checking something with one of the submissions and then we'll be good to go.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1656 on: November 01, 2021, 02:43:42 PM »

I really enjoyed the anonymous roulette. I would love to make that part of the gig.
I remember the first time we did something a bit like that way back in 2012 when I co-judged with a mystery second judge for the roulette of champions (all winners up to that point).

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=34990

Some people may remember it, it was a ton of fun.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1657 on: November 01, 2021, 02:46:35 PM »
Stadler crushed it as my secretary. I sent him the scores before he could confirm who sent what. It was fun each round guessing who sent what.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1658 on: November 01, 2021, 03:04:39 PM »
Stadler crushed it as my secretary. I sent him the scores before he could confirm who sent what. It was fun each round guessing who sent what.

That was a lot of fun.  That photo is going to give me nightmares, but the process was cool as beans.  I'd do that again in a heartbeat. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1659 on: November 01, 2021, 03:05:04 PM »
That does sound like a lot of fun!

Just reading back through the mystery judge roulette of champions and that was a blast. Especially around halfway through, when we got people to PM me with who they thought the judge was, and then in the semi final between RJ and Joe when they kept ending up in a tie and having to have a rematch. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1660 on: November 01, 2021, 03:07:44 PM »
That does sound like a lot of fun!

Just reading back through the mystery judge roulette of champions and that was a blast. Especially around halfway through, when we got people to PM me with who they thought the judge was, and then in the semi final between RJ and Joe when they kept ending up in a tie and having to have a rematch. :lol

You should read through The TAC Anonymous Roulette V3. Opposites Attract roulette. We had a lot of fun with Stadler as he was going to the spa each weekend.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1661 on: November 01, 2021, 03:08:14 PM »
Yeah, that whole thing was fucking fantastic.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1662 on: November 01, 2021, 03:14:56 PM »
give me the ඞ

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s fogey roulette (v7) – R6 hangman
« Reply #1664 on: November 01, 2021, 03:19:37 PM »
I'll crack on with hangman for now, and the person I had a query for can always make a tweak and I'll update the hangman accordingly.

??: _r____
    1: _________ t_e Ra__
    2: __rr___ __ ____
    3: _ _a____ _r__a___ _________

??: _a__ _____
    1: _e a__ _____ ____ __ t_e _c_____ar_
    2: ___ac_r__e
    3: _ate __ t_e E_e____
    4: ___ Ca_ Ca__ _e A_
    5: __ _a__ t_ _ea_e ___r ___er
    6: ____ ______’ A_a_

??: A___a_ A___a
    1: _____ ___ _ac____
    2: ___t _a_te_ C_____
    3: __ _r____e_
    4: __re! __re! __re!
    5: _a_t_

??: ____er
    1: _a_a_a__e
    2: T__e t_ __rre__er
    3: Ra_____ __ t_e R__e
    4: __ t_e _a_ _e’__ _e_er _ee
    5: ___ Are t_e _a__t, _ A_ t_e ____er

??: __r_a_ __ T_e ___
    1: A_a_r____ __r___
    2: _a__arer
    3: A_at___ __ __

??: _____ec_
    1: _____ __c_
    2: C_r_ ____
    3: _a__ __ t_e _a_
    4: A___a_ ___r_t_
    5: _t _et_ _____er __
    6: _a_t __r t_e ___e_t
    7: __tr_

??: _r__a_a____
    1: A_t_-_a___e_t_
    2: _ea_? C_e_t? _r ___t?
    3: _e__ Ta__, __re R_c_
    4: T_e ____ ____ _a_c__t __ a _er_ _ea_ _a_c__t

??: Greet Death
    1: __eet_ __ ___te
    2: ___
    3: ___’re ____a _ate __at ___’_e ___e
    4: _tra__

Stadler: Paul McCartney/Wings
    1: _et
    2: _a__ __ T_e R__
    3: __c_e A__ert / A___ra_ _a__e_ - _e__e_
    4: _____r’_ _ar_
    5: _a__e _’_ A_a_e_

jingle: Mötley Crüe
    1: Live Wire
    2: Looks That Kill
    3: Home Sweet Home
    4: Wild Side
    5: Kickstart My Heart

??: Antimatter
    1: _ea____ E_e_ - ___e
    2: __tt_e _____ - ___e
    3: T__ _ate - ___e

??: ____atar
    1: ____atar
    2: __ t_e E_e
    3: _a_t __r t_e Ca__
    4: _e_ _____ _e_

Sacul: Sufjan Stevens
    1: _e______
    2: _a_e _e A_ ___er _ Ca___t Re___e
    3: Reach Out
    4: _______
    5: ___rt_ __ ____ - ___e

wolfking: Stortregn
    1: T_r____ t_e _ar_ _ate_
    2: _a__e__
    3: C____re_ __ t_e ______a_ ____t

??: _ac_ar_c ____
    1: _ ____ _
    2: __re_er _tee_
    3: _____et

??: ___ ____er
    1: ____ __ ___e
    2: A__t_er _a_
    3: Cr___
    4: _a______e
    5: Re__rrect___

??: All About Eve
    1: ____er_ __ __r _a_r
    2: ____ _earte_ ___a_
    3: _a__ ________t
    4: R_a_ T_ ___r ____
    5: _ece__er

??: T_e _a_er C_a_e
    1: _a__ t_e ____er t_ t_e ___
    2: ___’re __e __ T_e_ Are_’t ___?
    3: t_e _a____ __ _a___ t_e __ea____ __ t____e_ (t_e _a__ ___ter_a)
    4: t_e __a__ __ ___r _ac_ t_e _a_e __ ___r _ec_ (t_e _____ar_)
    5: ...A__ A__ T_e Ca___ ___ Ca_ Eat
    6: A__ _a__er __ ___ _r Ca__er
    7: _____ __t_ _ece_t ____c

Guessed letters: ඞCAT ER
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 04:09:45 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1665 on: November 01, 2021, 03:20:52 PM »
give me the ඞ

Inky, Blinky, Pinky and Clyde.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1666 on: November 01, 2021, 03:21:21 PM »
T

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1667 on: November 01, 2021, 03:22:47 PM »
A
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline HOF

« Reply #1668 on: November 01, 2021, 03:27:03 PM »
E

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1670 on: November 01, 2021, 03:34:50 PM »
Updated!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1671 on: November 01, 2021, 03:37:28 PM »
C
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1672 on: November 01, 2021, 03:39:37 PM »
I see All About Eve.
Greet Death...weren't they already used, or was that in Luke's?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1673 on: November 01, 2021, 03:45:35 PM »
I see All About Eve.
Greet Death...weren't they already used, or was that in Luke's?
Nope, not in this roulette.

Both :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1674 on: November 01, 2021, 03:48:19 PM »
Paul McCartney/Wings
Antimatter?

for real tho give me the uuhhhhHHHHhhhh R

Offline HOF

« Reply #1675 on: November 01, 2021, 03:52:21 PM »
Motley Crue.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1676 on: November 01, 2021, 04:17:01 PM »

??: Mötley Crüe
    1: ___e __re
    2: _____ T_at ____
    3: ___e __eet ___e
    4: ____ ___e
    5: __c__tart __ _eart

Live Wire
Looks That Kill
Home Sweet Home
Wild Side
Kickstart My Heart

J-Boy!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1677 on: November 01, 2021, 04:19:36 PM »
Stadler-McCartney?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1678 on: November 01, 2021, 04:41:11 PM »
Yes to both. :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1679 on: November 01, 2021, 04:47:01 PM »
Stortregn...Wolfking!

Sufjan Stevens-One of the songs is Reach Out

Is that Sacul? I forget who uses him.

The Paper Chase