Author Topic: ariich’s fogey roulette (v7) – FINAL RESULTS  (Read 65074 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: ariich’s fogey roulette (v7) – R3 comparisons
« Reply #945 on: October 14, 2021, 02:03:33 PM »
the 90's sucked for music according to my RYM archives like almost my entire collection starts at the year 2000  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #946 on: October 14, 2021, 05:51:14 PM »
Letting the Fogeys know that I am IN and have sent for Round 4!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: October 14, 2021, 05:56:08 PM »
That gif is incredible.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s fogey roulette (v7) – R3 RESULTS
« Reply #949 on: October 14, 2021, 11:34:22 PM »
ROUND 3 RESULTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ruba – Trouble
1. Pray for the Dead
2. Bastards Will Pay
3. The Tempter
4. The Skull

First impression: The general sound and style was cool and dark, but not sure the music matched up to it.

Final opinion: I understand why you gave this a go, after early doom metal did pretty well in the last round. But I'm afraid it was a bit of a misstep. Not that it's bad, or even mediocre - it's pretty good and still gets over the 7/10 line. It’s just… not that great. In a way, it reminds me of the Slayer submission from round 1. The riffing and the general sound are cool, and enough to make it enjoyable overall. I just don't find it melodically interesting, and the vocals don't do it any favours.

Score: 7.1

Kwyjibo – Nik Kershaw
1. Dancing Girls
2. I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
3. Human Racing
4. You Might
5. Easy

First impression: I can see what you were going for, but it sounded a bit middle of the road for me.

Final opinion: After such domination in the first two rounds, I can only assume that this misstep was because you felt bad for everyone else and wanted to give them more of a chance. Don’t get me wrong, it has its moments - in particular, I Won’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me is a really good pop song, with catchy hooks and fun little guitar flourishes. And the rest is all perfectly pleasant, I just find it a little… uninspiring maybe? The vocal lines in most of the songs are ok but don’t really draw me in, and Kershaw’s voice does little to make them any more exciting.

Score: 7.5

Puppies – Dinosaur Jr.
1. Forget the Swan
2. Little Fury Things
3. Sludgefest
4. In a Jar
5. Freak Scene
6. Pond Song

First impression: Hmm, well, there’s plenty to like but mainly I’m just glad that vocals in this genre have since improved.

Final opinion: To be honest, at first I thought this might come last in the round, but I have to say it’s grown on me a fair bit. Or perhaps it’s more accurate to say it’s been up and down. My first and third listens were pretty meh, but on my second and fourth I found myself getting into it quite a lot more, possibly a reflection of how I was feeling at the time. To issue a rating, I’ve gone with the upper end - music can be good for certain moods and not others, and that’s ok. On the good listens, I’ve been digging the general vibe and it’s an interesting and enjoyable insight to the origins of styles that later became very commonplace. The vocals are definitely a bit of a barrier though, I’ve never been a fan of that slightly out-of-tune style and I’m quite glad that a lot of indie/noise rock/etc seems to have recently moved away from it.

Score: 7.7

Stadler – Billy Squier
1. Lonely is the Night
2. Don’t Say You Love Me
3. Eye on You
4. Too Daze Gone
5. In Your Eyes

First impression: Didn’t sound very distinctive, and yet some of the songs were really nice.

Final opinion: This is an odd submission. I don't really have anything negative to say, but nor do I have very much positive to say. It's solid enough hard rock - well performed, a good sound and some nice ideas. Lonely is the Night, in particular, is great and definitely bolstered the score - strong melodies and emotional without going overboard. The rest are all fine, enjoyable enough, they just don’t really have anything to make them really stand out.

Score: 7.8

king – Chicago
1. Introduction
2. Make Me Smile
3. So Much to Say, So Much to Give
4. Anxiety’s Moment
5. West Virginia Fantasies
6. Colour My World
7. To Be Free
8. Now More Than Ever
9. 25 or 6 to 4

First impression: There’s something about this that reminds me of what I liked in your first submission.

Final opinion: So I didn't end up loving this as much as I thought I might at first, but I still like it a lot. While the style is different, it has a sort of similar warm-but-whimsical vibe that the Supertramp you sent me in round 1 had, including a nice use of horns. Some of the vocal moments don't really do much for me (for example Colour My World), but others are really good fun (such as Now More Than Ever), and instrumentally the whole thing has lots of charm and energy. All in all it makes for a very enjoyable listen, if perhaps not a mindblowing one.

Score: 8.0

romdrums – Jean-Luc Ponty
1. Infinite Pursuit
2. Sunset Drive
3. Final Truth, Pt. 1
4. Final Truth, Pt. 2

First impression: Talented playing and a distinct sound - this is more like it as far as this genre goes.

Final opinion: Having not been too kind to jazz fusion in the last round, this is much more my cup of tea. It's intricate and rich in terms of harmony, structure and instrumentation, but it's also quite accessible and has a very pleasant sound to it all. The violin taking the lead also gives it a really interesting and fairly unique vibe, I've heard one or two things vaguely similar before, but nothing quite like it. All of this adds up to something very enjoyable.

Score: 8.1

Luke – Focus
1. Hocus Pocus
2. Answer? Questions! - Questions? Answer!

First impression: Enjoyably bonkers.

Final opinion: A common view in this thread seems to have been that I must surely already know Hocus Pocus. It’s possible I’ve heard it before, but I honestly didn’t recognise it at all. It is bloody good though. Delightfully mad, full of great and highly entertaining ideas (apparently yodelling in prog works just fine), and yet with a strong sense of melody that keeps it all together. Answer? Questions! - Questions? Answer!, for all that it has a very silly title, is a little more straightforward. It’s still very good, but perhaps leans a bit much into the more indulgent side of 70s prog. I still enjoy it just fine, but I found myself losing interest somewhat on later listens.

jingle – Phil Collins
1. I Don’t Care Anymore
2. Behind the Lines
3. Easy Lover
4. Don’t Lose My Number
5. Take Me Home

First impression: One possible dud, but otherwise a bunch of good, catchy songs.

Final opinion: Interestingly enough, the possible dud ended up not being a dud after all. It was actually Take Me Home, which I guess on first listen sounded a little cheesy and weak coming after songs with so much energy. No doubt, I prefer the first three to the last two. Of the Genesis singers, I know many prefer Gabriel and Collins has a more poppy approach, but I definitely prefer his voice and style. The first three songs here are all quite different, but they're tightly written, have some great tunes and he sings with a lot of character. The hooks aren't nearly as strong in the last two songs, but they're still a nice listen.

Elite – Wes Montgomery
1. West Coast Blues
2. Caravan
3. Sunny
4. Eleanor Rigby
5. Four on Six

First impression: Very nice - chilled but with a fair bit going on.

Final opinion: This is more like it! It’s not one of the jazz styles that I tend to gravitate towards (which are generally on the more energetic side of things, like big band jazz and some more modern fusion stuff), but for this more laid back style, it’s really good. The playing is slick and there’s plenty of activity in the music, but this relaxed vibe throughout as well. It’s not quite the same, but he sort of reminds me of a guitar equivalent of Oscar Peterson, who similarly wrote cool, tasteful music but had that ability to throw in some deceptively fast licks without it feeling that way.

TAC – Boston
1. Rock & Roll Band
2. More Than a Feeling
3. Peace of Mind
4. Foreplay / Long Time

First impression: Wasn’t convinced at first, but this got better with each track.

Final opinion: I was already fairly familiar with More Than a Feeling, although I'd never connected it with Boston. I've liked it when I've heard it, but not really thought more of it. This selection of songs you've sent me, though, is top notch. You'd have scored a little higher if you'd left Rock & Roll Band off - nothing wrong with it, just not that interesting and another good example of a tighter submission being better (not that I expect the fogeys to learn from this!). But the rest are excellent, good song writing, great and memorable tunes, and strong performances all round. Also helped by the singer, who has a lot of energy and charisma but steers clear of the cheesier excesses of some 80s vocalists.

Score: 8.2

Evermind – Scorpions
1. Yellow Raven
2. When the Smoke is Going Down
3. Still Loving You

First impression: Bold choice to go for a style that I’m not sure has ever scored well in my roulettes.

Final opinion: I was a little cheeky and misleading with my first impression, but the style I was referring to was power ballads by 80s rock bands. Chad had a bad experience trying that in a tie-breaker in my first album roulette, and I think people have generally steered clear of it since. But congratulations on bucking the trend! Turns out I didn’t know Still Loving You after all, but it’s a great song and I can see why it’s popular. On the flipside, turns out I did know Yellow Raven, or at least Pain of Salvation’s cover of it. It’s odd to me that people in this thread questioned its inclusion (not sure what it means for me checking Scorpions out more generally later on) as it’s my favourite here - a very emotive and interesting song. When the Smoke... isn’t quite as good as the others (the guitar solo in particular is… kind of weird) but it’s still nice enough.

wolfking – Magnum
1. Sacred Hour
2. On A Storyteller's Night
3. Vigilante
4. Before First Light

First impression: A good illustration of not needing to do anything fancy to write solid rock songs.

Final opinion: As you know, I’ve heard a few of Magnum’s later albums but not checked out any of their earlier work. These songs are up there with the better ones I’ve heard from them, and make me think I clearly need to revisit them. They’re fairly straightforward - not especially proggy (although I guess the general sound sort of is) and with no particular virtuosic elements, except perhaps the singer - but they’re thoughtfully and interestingly written and have some great hooks. The way they use synthesisers is also really nice, and helps give them their own flavour.

Nekov – Pat Metheny
1. Ozark
2. Yolanda, You Learn
3. The First Circle
4. Eighteen

First impression: Lovely sound and great playing.

Final opinion: In general, this is really lovely stuff, and another example of good quality jazz fusion (of sorts). The overall sound is just great, very immersive and rich, and the performances are all excellent - not overly flashy but very skilled and tasteful. The thing that really elevates this particular submission (over, for example, the Jean-Luc Ponty) is The First Circle, which is one of the very best tracks of the roulette so far. It takes a much more emotive approach and there’s something about the way all the different elements come together that’s just gorgeous and incredibly satisfying.

Score: 8.3

lonestar – Pete Townshend
1. Rough Boys
2. I Am an Animal
3. Empty Glass
4. Let My Love Open the Door
5. Slit Skirts

First impression: Not the strongest vocally, but the delivery is convincing and the music is mostly great.

Final opinion: Alright, so let me explain my first impression. Firstly, to be clear, when I said “the delivery is convincing”, I was referring mostly to the vocals. He strikes me as the kind of singer who is not especially skilled in a technical sense, but who makes up for it with his conviction and passion, and by writing music that suits it. I feel that way about Roger Waters (among others) and it works for Townshend too. These songs are great, and even the ones that didn’t grab me at first have grown on me a lot since, especially the last two. But I Am an Animal and Empty Glass are the real standouts here. They’re initially deceptive, sounding fairly straightforward, but then really hitting you right in the feels with gorgeous music and such emotional delivery.

Buddy – Comus
1. The Herald
2. Song to Comus

First impression: Mysterious and eerie and pretty cool.

Final opinion: This was a real grower. Obviously I liked it from the start, as the first impression was positive, but it went from pretty cool to bloody good. The whole vibe is just really intriguing - on the surface a lot of it sounds ostensibly quite upbeat, but there’s an eerie undercurrent that’s just slightly unsettling, which only rears its head into actual weirdness in the odd moment but which makes the whole thing feel kind of creepy. But that balances nicely with the fact that, because it’s quite upbeat on the surface, there are plenty of quite enjoyable and melodic moments as well. I can see why Mikael Åkerfeldt quotes them as an influence on the folkier side of Opeth’s music, even though the two aren’t really anything alike.

HOF – Journey
1. Still They Ride
2. Edge of the Blade
3. Only the Young
4. Mother, Father

First impression: More serious and heartfelt than I expected.

Final opinion: Like many plebs, pretty much the only thing I knew about Journey before this roulette was Don't Stop Believin' (the other thing I knew was that Steve Smith is also an accomplished jazz drummer). So I was prepared for a cheesefest, but that wasn't what I got at all. For sure the general style was aligned to my expectations, but I wasn't aware of how sincere and thoughtful their songwriting is, at least based on these songs. All four of these are great in different ways - Still They Ride is delicate and kind of romantic really, Edge of the Blade rocks, Only the Young is poppy and catchy, and Mother, Father has a wonderfully restrained intensity to it that provides a gorgeous contrast to the grand choruses.

Cyril – Elton John
1. Crocodile Rock
2. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
3. Rocket Man (I Think It’s Going To Be A Long, Long Time)
4. Funeral For a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding

First impression: This was great - varied, catchy and surprisingly rocking.

Final opinion: I feel a little silly for having never really paid much to Elton John’s music. Rocket Man is the only one here where I’m particularly familiar with the original, as it’s been in so many movies and TV shows. But it’s been nice to give the whole song a proper listen - it’s rather lovely really, quite tender. At the other end of things, Crocodile Rock is the only one I wasn’t familiar with at all. It’s the weakest here, but it’s still good fun and has some very catchy themes within it. The other two I was aware of through cover versions - I love The Dear Hunter’s Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, and obviously DT’s ACOS cover of Funeral For a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding is pretty great too. These are the real standouts here, absolutely cracking songs. Other than the slightly older production (obviously) and not having Casey Crescenzo’s powerful voice, these originals are just as punchy and exciting as the covers.

Score: 8.4

Sacul – Mike Oldfield
1. Ommadawn Pt. 1

First impression: Wow, this was quite a journey!

Final opinion: Damn, this is fantastic and the best submission of the roulette so far. I'm vaguely familiar with Tubular Bells from school music class many years ago, but I never bothered to check Oldfield out properly. This is just so rich and intricate. Long instrumental works like this can drag sometimes, but not this one. It doesn't jump around too much - the piece has a very natural flow to it - but it's varied and definitely goes on a journey. Similarly, I've heard other works (dare I say, including some of your past submissions) that have also been well-developed and well-produced, but seem to neglected melody. The great thing is that it has that too, and there are so many wonderfully lush melodies and harmonies throughout. Perhaps more than any other submission, this also benefits from the currently-available version being a more recent mix - makes me wonder if I should give other 70s and 80s albums I’d written off another chance.

Score: 8.7

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #950 on: October 14, 2021, 11:34:28 PM »
Scores after Round 3:

1. Evermind = 8.6 + 8.1 + 8.2 = 24.9
 2. Nekov    = 8.0 + 8.4 + 8.3 = 24.7
 3. Cyril    = 8.4 + 7.8 + 8.4 = 24.6
 3. TAC      = 8.4 + 8.0 + 8.2 = 24.6
 5. jingle   = 8.4 + 7.9 + 8.1 = 24.4
 6. Luke     = 7.9 + 8.3 + 8.1 = 24.3
 6. Kwyjibo  = 8.5 + 8.3 + 7.5 = 24.3
 8. romdrums = 7.8 + 8.2 + 8.1 = 24.1
 8. lonestar = 8.1 + 7.7 + 8.3 = 24.1
 8. Sacul    = 7.6 + 7.8 + 8.7 = 24.1
11. wolfking = 7.5 + 8.1 + 8.2 = 23.8
12. HOF      = 7.4 + 8.0 + 8.3 = 23.7
12. Buddy    = 7.2 + 8.2 + 8.3 = 23.7
14. king     = 8.3 + 7.3 + 8.0 = 23.6
15. Stadler  = 7.7 + 8.0 + 7.8 = 23.5
15. Elite    = 7.9 + 7.5 + 8.1 = 23.5
17. Ruba     = 7.8 + 8.1 + 7.1 = 23.0
17. Puppies  = 7.2 + 8.1 + 7.7 = 23.0

(click on the graphs to enlarge them)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:41:08 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #951 on: October 14, 2021, 11:54:18 PM »
Reminder:

We're now into round 4, so the 90s come into play and are available, but everything pre-90s also remains available too. The banned list is now the one in the third post of this thread (plus the "banned during roulette" section of the OP).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #952 on: October 15, 2021, 12:53:33 AM »
And to think I had playlists ready to send to you for both Journey and Elton John and decided to go obscure instead.... :facepalm:

Will send for round 4 tomorrow.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: October 15, 2021, 01:11:07 AM »
Is 48 hours from now too late to submit?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #954 on: October 15, 2021, 02:19:45 AM »
Hell yeah! I'll take that. I honestly contemplated sending just Hocus Pocus on it's own  :lol

Now you've had a chance to listen to it I need to share this live performance from '73.

https://youtu.be/g4ouPGGLI6Q

This is without a doubt one of the most batshit incredible live performances ever. They had a slot to play Hocus Pocus on some talk show, but were only given a 4 minute slot. So what did they do? They sped it up to fit the time slot! It's just so good. The comments section here is also gold. I'm sure some of you will have already seen this but everyone needs to watch this! There's a reason it has like 12 million views.

I often show this to people when I talk about music that's out there and 'alternative'. It blows people's minds  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #955 on: October 15, 2021, 04:22:14 AM »
Awe damn. I'd thought I'd score a bit higher.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #956 on: October 15, 2021, 05:39:01 AM »
Nice, I'm glad you singled out those tracks too, they're lesser known, but are core to the album and to what Pete was dealing with at the time. Such masterpieces of songwriting for sure.

Now to fuck shit up. Sent.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #957 on: October 15, 2021, 05:39:44 AM »
Hurray! A good score! Shame everybody else got a good score as well :lol

Glad you enjoyed, sending shortly :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: October 15, 2021, 05:43:25 AM »
 :D :D

I wasn't sure you were going to dig that style of jazz but I sure am glad that you did. I agree that First Circle is a fantastic song where everything comes together in a rather special way.

Sending round 4 as soon as I finish typing this.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #959 on: October 15, 2021, 05:58:07 AM »
I got no beef seeing some of those bands ahead of Phil.

Round 4 Sent. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ruba

« Reply #960 on: October 15, 2021, 06:57:58 AM »
Oof!  :lol

I know what to send next two rounds and have at least one plan B if somebody poaches the band I have slotted for round five, 90s is more of my forte.

Now you've had a chance to listen to it I need to share this live performance from '73.

This is without a doubt one of the most batshit incredible live performances ever. They had a slot to play Hocus Pocus on some talk show, but were only given a 4 minute slot. So what did they do? They sped it up to fit the time slot! It's just so good. The comments section here is also gold. I'm sure some of you will have already seen this but everyone needs to watch this! There's a reason it has like 12 million views.

I often show this to people when I talk about music that's out there and 'alternative'. It blows people's minds  :lol

That performance is great, sort of early progressive/avant-garde metal. :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #961 on: October 15, 2021, 07:35:54 AM »
Not bad. :metal

Going with something risky for the next round. I know I'm not going to win this thing, so might as well!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline romdrums

« Reply #962 on: October 15, 2021, 07:54:36 AM »
Round 4 Sent.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #963 on: October 15, 2021, 08:52:38 AM »

Evermind – Scorpions
1. Yellow Raven
2. When the Smoke is Going Down
3. Still Loving You

First impression: Bold choice to go for a style that I’m not sure has ever scored well in my roulettes.

Final opinion: I was a little cheeky and misleading with my first impression, but the style I was referring to was power ballads by 80s rock bands. Chad had a bad experience trying that in a tie-breaker in my first album roulette, and I think people have generally steered clear of it since. But congratulations on bucking the trend! Turns out I didn’t know Still Loving You after all, but it’s a great song and I can see why it’s popular. On the flipside, turns out I did know Yellow Raven, or at least Pain of Salvation’s cover of it. It’s odd to me that people in this thread questioned its inclusion (not sure what it means for me checking Scorpions out more generally later on) as it’s my favourite here - a very emotive and interesting song. When the Smoke... isn’t quite as good as the others (the guitar solo in particular is… kind of weird) but it’s still nice enough.

I'm guessing here, but the Scorpions are really broken into two (maybe three) phases of their career.  There is the first, from Lonesome Crow through Tokyo Tapes, which I would call "The Roth Years", characterized by the presence of Uli Jon Roth as lead guitarist (not on Lonesome Crow; that's Michael Schenker).   It was a very "European" sound, Roth was HEAVILY influenced by Jimi Hendrix (even dating Hendrix' ex-girlfriend for a while), no real hits or power ballads, no great presence in the United States, and the songs were sort of divided between "Schenker/Meine" songs and "Roth" songs, many of the latter sung by Roth (he blows as a singer).   Most people don't know this era; "Yellow Raven" comes from the Virgin Killer album. 

The second era is from Lovedrive either through the present or maybe through the present, depending on your take.   This is where Matthias Jabs took over on lead guitar and they started to play a more bright, commercial rock sound. "When The Smoke Is Going Down" is the last song on Blackout, and "Still Loving You" is the last song on Love At First Sting, probably the two most well-known Scorpions albums (the latter is their biggest seller). 

Offline HOF

« Reply #964 on: October 15, 2021, 09:06:15 AM »

HOF – Journey
1. Still They Ride
2. Edge of the Blade
3. Only the Young
4. Mother, Father

First impression: More serious and heartfelt than I expected.

Final opinion: Like many plebs, pretty much the only thing I knew about Journey before this roulette was Don't Stop Believin' (the other thing I knew was that Steve Smith is also an accomplished jazz drummer). So I was prepared for a cheesefest, but that wasn't what I got at all. For sure the general style was aligned to my expectations, but I wasn't aware of how sincere and thoughtful their songwriting is, at least based on these songs. All four of these are great in different ways - Still They Ride is delicate and kind of romantic really, Edge of the Blade rocks, Only the Young is poppy and catchy, and Mother, Father has a wonderfully restrained intensity to it that provides a gorgeous contrast to the grand choruses.

Very cool! Definitely wanted to send deep cuts to avoid any negative impressions of the hits. Some of them are a bit cheesy, and it’s definitely something you kind of have to chuckle at and look past with Journey, but some of them are more just earnest (I think Don’t Stop Believing isn’t really cheesy, it just has a reputation).

At any rate, the guys can play and Perry can sing, and they wrote some killer songs as well. Both Escape and Frontiers are really great albums, even if they both have some cheese on them. The earlier Perry albums are a bit less serious in tone (although the pre-Perry albums are straight heavy rock/fusion/Prog). And then none of the later albums without Perry do much on anything for me, but the 1996 comeback album Trial by Fire has a lot of really good stuff and I think you’d probably like that one too.

Offline HOF

« Reply #965 on: October 15, 2021, 10:14:06 AM »
Sent for round 4!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: October 15, 2021, 10:30:03 AM »
I'll be sending tonight Rich.  Flying home from Dallas today.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #967 on: October 15, 2021, 10:32:47 AM »
And to think I had playlists ready to send to you for both Journey and Elton John and decided to go obscure instead.... :facepalm:
I love having you in my roulettes, because I never know what you're going to send, and you include some really interesting surprises and curveballs. The downside for you as a competitor is that not all of it sticks, and one or two duds can take you out of the running, but you taking those risks is very much appreciated.

Is 48 hours from now too late to submit?
Nope not too late at all, that's perfect (but obviously if people have submissions ready sooner, do send them so I can start listening!).

Hurray! A good score! Shame everybody else got a good score as well :lol
Yeah a little unfortunate, it was a really strong round!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #968 on: October 15, 2021, 10:36:42 AM »

This is without a doubt one of the most batshit incredible live performances ever. They had a slot to play Hocus Pocus on some talk show, but were only given a 4 minute slot. So what did they do? They sped it up to fit the time slot! It's just so good.
Holy shit that was wonderfully insane. :lol

The comments section here is also gold. I'm sure some of you will have already seen this but everyone needs to watch this! There's a reason it has like 12 million views.
Some favourites:

"Imagine this being the only evidence that humans existed"
"This would be a complete kick-ass song even without the alien from outer space singing in 6 octaves while commanding his keyboard..."
"When a performance starts with a face solo you know it's going to be great."
"Ah, the good old days when you could understand the lyrics."

I be am boner inducing.

Offline HOF

« Reply #969 on: October 15, 2021, 11:00:33 AM »
I’m more a fan of Gary Hoey’s cover of Hocus Pocus.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X0rAlUqVUAE

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #970 on: October 15, 2021, 11:05:14 AM »
Sent! Time to drop back down to last. :metal
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #971 on: October 15, 2021, 11:57:43 AM »

This is without a doubt one of the most batshit incredible live performances ever. They had a slot to play Hocus Pocus on some talk show, but were only given a 4 minute slot. So what did they do? They sped it up to fit the time slot! It's just so good.

The comments section here is also gold. I'm sure some of you will have already seen this but everyone needs to watch this! There's a reason it has like 12 million views.
Some favourites:

"This would be a complete kick-ass song even without the alien from outer space singing in 6 octaves while commanding his keyboard..."

One of the Transatlantic DVDs has footage of the band playing that song with Thijs van Leer.

Pretty sure Maiden did a cover of that as well as a b-side.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: October 15, 2021, 02:53:24 PM »

My cousin married his sister. I've seen them jam together a few times.

Offline HOF

« Reply #973 on: October 15, 2021, 03:45:56 PM »

Wow, that's pretty cool!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: October 15, 2021, 04:08:49 PM »

Wow, that's pretty cool!

Way down to earth guy. 

Oh, and Sent!!!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #975 on: October 15, 2021, 04:33:57 PM »
pulling the trigger on something i was gonna see if i could build into a larger submission but ultimately decided. there's no point

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #976 on: October 15, 2021, 04:37:41 PM »

Some favourites:

Focus was doing things nobody else was at the time. Jan Akkerman is one of those extremely underrated guitar gods!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #977 on: October 16, 2021, 12:01:16 AM »
Sacul – Mike Oldfield
1. Ommadawn Pt. 1

First impression: Wow, this was quite a journey!

Final opinion: Damn, this is fantastic and the best submission of the roulette so far. I'm vaguely familiar with Tubular Bells from school music class many years ago, but I never bothered to check Oldfield out properly. This is just so rich and intricate. Long instrumental works like this can drag sometimes, but not this one. It doesn't jump around too much - the piece has a very natural flow to it - but it's varied and definitely goes on a journey. Similarly, I've heard other works (dare I say, including some of your past submissions) that have also been well-developed and well-produced, but seem to neglected melody. The great thing is that it has that too, and there are so many wonderfully lush melodies and harmonies throughout. Perhaps more than any other submission, this also benefits from the currently-available version being a more recent mix - makes me wonder if I should give other 70s and 80s albums I’d written off another chance.

Score: 8.7
Fuck yeah :2metal: :2metal: :2metal:

Mike Oldfield's music is so beautiful and full of life yet so intricate. I highly recommend revisiting Tubular Bells, and giving Incantations a chance. He also made a sequel to Ommadawn a few years ago called Return to Ommadawn, which is just gorgeous.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #978 on: October 16, 2021, 02:11:36 AM »
Final opinion: After such domination in the first two rounds, I can only assume that this misstep was because you felt bad for everyone else and wanted to give them more of a chance.

Okay, you got me here  :D

No, it's okay, can't win every time. Nik Kershaw is one of my favorite 80s pop artist, but I can understand that he's not for everyone.

Will send something else soon, hopefully.

edit: just sent ... and now waiting for the other fogeys to tell me that I sent the complete wrong set of songs  ;D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 02:52:50 AM by Kwyjibo »
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #979 on: October 16, 2021, 04:59:31 AM »
You sent the complete wrong set of songs.

Didn’t want you to have to wait too long.  ;)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion