Author Topic: ariich’s fogey roulette (v7) – FINAL RESULTS  (Read 65412 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: ariich’s fogey roulette (v7) – R2 RESULTS
« Reply #665 on: October 08, 2021, 11:22:18 AM »
my round 6 will be nearly maxed out probably but i might have to resort to single songs for the next round lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #666 on: October 08, 2021, 11:55:19 AM »
 :omg:

Ok. That IS a surprise. I agree that they have quite a unique sound and that the vocal harmonies are beautifully done. As Sacul said, that era of prog rock in Argentina produced some gems.

I'll send round 3 shortly.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #667 on: October 08, 2021, 12:46:41 PM »

Regarding the Peter Gabriel entry, I love San Jacinto, plodding and all. But I'm more surprised by the In Your Eyes comments. That's just a gorgeous recording, and a near perfect pop song. One of the all time great pop songs in my view. There's a Classic Albums episode on the making of So, and they talked about how they had to meticulously edit together that main loop by hand. So much going on production wise in an otherwise simple song.

"In Your Eyes" is one of the few songs that, for me, are truly overplayed and worn out (moreso because of the uses rather than the number of plays; it's very cliched in certain circles) but having said that, if you've never heard it you don't have that problem.  When it first came out it was a killer track (and it takes on new life live).

One of the several songs inspired by Rosanna Arquette.

Offline HOF

« Reply #668 on: October 08, 2021, 12:51:08 PM »

Regarding the Peter Gabriel entry, I love San Jacinto, plodding and all. But I'm more surprised by the In Your Eyes comments. That's just a gorgeous recording, and a near perfect pop song. One of the all time great pop songs in my view. There's a Classic Albums episode on the making of So, and they talked about how they had to meticulously edit together that main loop by hand. So much going on production wise in an otherwise simple song.

"In Your Eyes" is one of the few songs that, for me, are truly overplayed and worn out (moreso because of the uses rather than the number of plays; it's very cliched in certain circles) but having said that, if you've never heard it you don't have that problem.  When it first came out it was a killer track (and it takes on new life live).

I can see it being overplayed, but for me I've never gotten tired of it, and I've been listening to it since I was a kid. One of the first songs that drew me to PG and it still gets me every time.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #669 on: October 08, 2021, 01:12:08 PM »

I can see it being overplayed, but for me I've never gotten tired of it, and I've been listening to it since I was a kid. One of the first songs that drew me to PG and it still gets me every time.

The live version on Secret World is the standard for me.  Paula Cole's singing on it is magical.  Getting to see it live on the Growing Up Tour, with Sevara Nazarkhan singing on it, was equally good.  I think, like Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, it's been covered so many times that it loses its charm.  The Jeffrey Gaines version is particularly atrocious, and unfortunately, was a staple on restaurant muzak systems in the late 90's/early 2000's. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #670 on: October 08, 2021, 01:27:34 PM »

The live version on Secret World is the standard for me.  Paula Cole's singing on it is magical.  Getting to see it live on the Growing Up Tour, with Sevara Nazarkhan singing on it, was equally good.  I think, like Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, it's been covered so many times that it loses its charm.  The Jeffrey Gaines version is particularly atrocious, and unfortunately, was a staple on restaurant muzak systems in the late 90's/early 2000's.

I got to see that tour as well, it's a shame that album was in 92 and unavailable for Jingle to use in the roulette. Secret World and Come Talk to Me are my two favorite PG tracks. The live version of the latter brings me to tears every frikkin time.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #671 on: October 08, 2021, 01:30:28 PM »
Yeaaaaaaahh, non fogeys represent.

Honestly I wish my Dad was alive to see this. He fucking loved Van Morrison and Moondance so much! He would've got the biggest kick out of both me thinking to even send someone these songs, and that person linking them!

I kind of agree with you about Sweet Thing. I'm not even sure why I sent it as the Moondance songs are, as you said, so much better. I thought it was possibly my bias and nostalgia blinding me, but obviously not.

Now to send proto doom.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #672 on: October 08, 2021, 01:43:26 PM »
my round 6 will be nearly maxed out probably but i might have to resort to single songs for the next round lol
That's completely fine if so, there's no lower limit. It'll be interesting to see how your post-1990 average score ends up comparing with your pre-1990 average score. :lol

Alright, so it seems the consensus is that I'm a pleb when it comes to In Your Eyes.

Yeaaaaaaahh, non fogeys represent.

Honestly I wish my Dad was alive to see this. He fucking loved Van Morrison and Moondance so much! He would've got the biggest kick out of both me thinking to even send someone these songs, and that person linking them!
:heart

I kind of agree with you about Sweet Thing. I'm not even sure why I sent it as the Moondance songs are, as you said, so much better. I thought it was possibly my bias and nostalgia blinding me, but obviously not.
Yeah it's hard to tell sometimes, isn't it?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #673 on: October 08, 2021, 01:45:49 PM »
to be fair i also have very little from the 90's but i can at least work with it a little  :lol
as for the last round i already know what band you're getting and working it down to just 25 minutes is going to be a challenge

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #674 on: October 08, 2021, 01:50:26 PM »
wait i just noticed a glaring gaping hole in the banlist that i might just fill instead

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #675 on: October 08, 2021, 01:53:47 PM »
wait i just noticed a glaring gaping hole in the banlist that i might just fill instead
For round 3?

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #676 on: October 08, 2021, 01:55:34 PM »

Is it a band you'd expect Sacul to send? If so we may be thinking of the same band. They're on my shortlist  :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #677 on: October 08, 2021, 02:02:08 PM »
For round 3?
yeah it's honestly -so- obvious i almost don't want to send actually
i'll think about it over the weekend  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #678 on: October 08, 2021, 02:04:29 PM »
Fair assessment. Davies' greatest appeal as a frontman is in his live performances, he literally owns audiences. The two songs you didn't favor as much were actually ones I switched out multiple times, the three you likes were my immediate choices once I eliminated the Kinks' hit songs like You Really Got Me and Lola.
See this right here is a perfect example of why there's no need to max out the time limit. If you'd just sent me those three, you'd definitely have scored a fair bit better. :P

But on the flip side, if he'd sent the other ones, he'd have tanked!  See, I was thinking of NOT sending San Jacinta, so your theory can cut both ways.

Alright, so it seems the consensus is that I'm a pleb when it comes to In Your Eyes.

I'm content and reassured knowing the masses have me on this.  TASTESTM!!

Sent!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #679 on: October 08, 2021, 02:08:25 PM »
Fair assessment. Davies' greatest appeal as a frontman is in his live performances, he literally owns audiences. The two songs you didn't favor as much were actually ones I switched out multiple times, the three you likes were my immediate choices once I eliminated the Kinks' hit songs like You Really Got Me and Lola.
See this right here is a perfect example of why there's no need to max out the time limit. If you'd just sent me those three, you'd definitely have scored a fair bit better. :P

But on the flip side, if he'd sent the other ones, he'd have tanked!  See, I was thinking of NOT sending San Jacinta, so your theory can cut both ways.
Which, on balance, probably didn't affect your score as the quality of the second half was netted off by the first half.

That said, I am still glad you sent it as the second half is great and very different to the other four tracks.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #680 on: October 08, 2021, 02:09:34 PM »
For round 3?
yeah it's honestly -so- obvious i almost don't want to send actually
i'll think about it over the weekend  :lol
I mean, I wouldn't say that should cause you to hold back. Others have sent me really obvious stuff that I clearly should have known but didn't, that's kind of the whole point of this roulette really!

But obviously it's your call.

I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #681 on: October 08, 2021, 02:13:54 PM »
Others have sent me really obvious stuff that I clearly should have known but didn't, that's kind of the whole point of this roulette really!

Which I have done for a third straight round, and will continue to do for the back half of the roulette.  I really hope the act I have slotted for round 4 stays unused.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #682 on: October 08, 2021, 02:18:25 PM »
Others have sent me really obvious stuff that I clearly should have known but didn't, that's kind of the whole point of this roulette really!

Which I have done for a third straight round, and will continue to do for the back half of the roulette.  I really hope the act I have slotted for round 4 stays unused.

As did I. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #683 on: October 08, 2021, 02:21:56 PM »
I know mine will be unused..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #684 on: October 08, 2021, 02:22:14 PM »

Glad you liked it. If you want to check out Ultravox further, their first four records in the 80s are all good, but all of them have some filler too. Their earlier albums sound different and not only because they had a different lead singer. Their music was more punk influenced. I could never really warm up to them.

I will try and send something over the weekend.

PS: In Your Eyes is awesome  ;) and as I said before, the live version totally slays the studio version.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #685 on: October 08, 2021, 02:24:41 PM »

As did I.

There are so many obvious bands to send, at least for us fogeys, we could go another ten rounds.  :D

Offline HOF

« Reply #686 on: October 08, 2021, 02:28:28 PM »
PS: In Your Eyes is awesome  ;) and as I said before, the live version totally slays the studio version.

See, a lot of people are saying this, but for me it's such a great studio track that it loses a lot in a live setting. I do like the Secret World Live performance, but it's not the same for me.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #687 on: October 08, 2021, 02:35:00 PM »
I have a lot of good memories surrounding the Secret World live video and record, that have not necessarily anything to do with the music. Maybe it's a large part of nostalgia on my end why I prefer the version.

Offline HOF

« Reply #688 on: October 08, 2021, 02:38:30 PM »
I have a lot of good memories surrounding the Secret World live video and record, that have not necessarily anything to do with the music. Maybe it's a large part of nostalgia on my end why I prefer the version.

That is a fantastic "live" album for sure. One of my favorites.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #689 on: October 08, 2021, 03:28:42 PM »

Is it a band you'd expect Sacul to send? If so we may be thinking of the same band. They're on my shortlist  :corn
I've got no clue what you're talking about :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #690 on: October 08, 2021, 03:30:21 PM »
luke also appears to have no clue what i'm talking about, conveniently enough

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: October 08, 2021, 03:44:59 PM »
Nice result.  No idea for round 3, but I'll come up with something but won't be able to send until about 36 hours time.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #692 on: October 08, 2021, 03:53:47 PM »
Well as long as I know what I'm talking about  :lol  I wouldn't say it's glaringly obvious, but it's a band I know Sacul loves, that have an 80s release. Plus it's a band I know you are at least familiar with Cyril, and I think you like them?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #693 on: October 08, 2021, 04:48:42 PM »
Rebound time!  Sent!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #694 on: October 08, 2021, 09:09:17 PM »
I did much better and yet I'm even farther behind  :lol I will have to give a good long hard think about the next round.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: October 09, 2021, 03:06:10 AM »
8.1 isn't too bad! I think there is one (maybe two) generic rock songs on that album, but otherwise I like it a lot, give it a try. I sent what I think to be the best three songs from it though, so don't get your expectations too high. :)

Sent, but I expect at least one of the songs to be rejected as I can't believe Rich hasn't heard it before.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Ruba

Re: ariich’s fogey roulette (v7) – R2 hangman
« Reply #696 on: October 09, 2021, 03:33:57 AM »
Candlemass

Crystal Ball
At The Gallows End
Mirror Mirror
Under The Oak (New Version)

You missed a song...

:lol I didn't mention the music video to Bewitched in my submission, because I was worried it might make ariich take the song less seriously.

Good score, even though it was shared. Well I knew Puppies was a gentleman of taste.  :hat

Sending tomorrow.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #697 on: October 09, 2021, 06:41:04 AM »
I did much better and yet I'm even farther behind  :lol
That's not true, you're closer to the median/mid-point than you were, and there are far more people within close catching distance than there were. You only dropped a place in the ranking because you were joint-last in round 1, but a strong round 3 could see you jump a number of places.

Sent, but I expect at least one of the songs to be rejected as I can't believe Rich hasn't heard it before.
I'm not rejecting any "hits" that it turns out I know. I stand by my banned lists.

You missed a song...

:lol I didn't mention the music video to Bewitched in my submission, because I was worried it might make ariich take the song less seriously.
Probably a good call, I just watched it now and good lord. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #698 on: October 09, 2021, 09:34:16 AM »
You missed a song...

Probably a good call, I just watched it now and good lord. :lol
It was the '80s. The only way to explain it is cocaine.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #699 on: October 09, 2021, 10:18:35 AM »
Well as long as I know what I'm talking about  :lol  I wouldn't say it's glaringly obvious, but it's a band I know Sacul loves, that have an 80s release. Plus it's a band I know you are at least familiar with Cyril, and I think you like them?
Oh I think I know who they are. In that case, ariich didn't like one of their 90s albums very much :lol