Author Topic: ariich’s fogey roulette (v7) – FINAL RESULTS  (Read 64724 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ariich’s fogey roulette (v7) – Results (ranks 18-14)
« Reply #1855 on: November 04, 2021, 05:50:15 PM »
I know I'm not getting first place, but let's see how many more fogeys I rank above :corn

This is the real win. Beating them at their own game
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1856 on: November 04, 2021, 05:58:58 PM »
Hmmm..I didn't see Evermind in that batch..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1857 on: November 04, 2021, 06:15:06 PM »
Thanks Rich.   I had fun.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #1858 on: November 04, 2021, 06:29:06 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
romdrums – Winger
1. Madalaine
2. Time to Surrender
3. Rainbow in the Rose
4. In the Day We’ll Never See
5. You Are the Saint, I Am the Sinner

First impression: Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Final opinion: My seventh roulette and finally someone sends me Winger! I’ve seen so much Winger banter over the years here at DTF but never thought to check them out. I didn’t have any particular pre-conceptions, although part of me sort of expected some standard cheesy 80s classic rock. As it happens, this is actually really good stuff. Some cheesy elements for sure, but nothing out of the ordinary in that regard, and otherwise this is just some really solid hard rock with some proggy tendencies here and there. Time to Surrender and Rainbow in the Rose in particular are just great tunes.

Round score: 8.1

:tup  :metal :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1859 on: November 04, 2021, 06:35:26 PM »
I know I'm not getting first place, but let's see how many more fogeys I rank above :corn

This is the real win. Beating them at their own game
Absolutely :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1860 on: November 04, 2021, 06:36:23 PM »
My seventh roulette and finally someone sends me Winger!

My condolences. I'm sorry you had to hear that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1861 on: November 04, 2021, 06:37:40 PM »
i got at least a 6.7 :2metal:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 01:07:33 AM by Cyril »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1862 on: November 04, 2021, 09:08:25 PM »
My seventh roulette and finally someone sends me Winger!

My condolences. I'm sorry you had to hear that.

:lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1863 on: November 04, 2021, 09:55:38 PM »

lonestar – Gacharic Spin
1. I Wish I
2. Forever 9teen
3. MindSet

First impression: This was a lot of fun.

Final opinion: Yeah you got this one right - I imagine for a lot of people this could have been a risky submission, but you probably knew it was going to be a pretty safe bet with me. :lol I’ve similarly been getting into a bit of Japanese metal (including one or two of these all-women bands who seem to have been establishing themselves). These guys take quite a modern approach compared with some, and do a great job of blending some proper metal riffing with electronics and J-pop elements. The only thing I can think that would have made it even better would have been catchier hooks, but otherwise this is just a blast.

Round score: 8.2

You’re one of those people I love having in my roulettes because, even though you don’t tend to be consistent enough to challenge for the title, I never know what you’re going to hit me with and there’s always something exciting and unexpected. Thank you!

Total score: 8.1 + 7.7 + 8.3 + 7.6 + 7.8 + 8.2 = 47.7
14th place

Always a pleasure bud...I should mention, though Gachapin (that's what the cool kids call them) has been around for 12 years and though most members are in their late 20s or early 30s, the main lead singer is new, and just turned 19 a few weeks back. She was frikkin 17 when the band hired her and 17/18 when she recorded these tracks. A beast of a talent. Also don't forget about the Nemophila album, more straightforward metal, but I think they got enough potential to break through to a wider audience, and I'll think you'll dig their pure talent since you don't have a hangup about foreign lyrics like some Canadian people I know. ::)

Thanks for letting me have some fun bro. :tup

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1864 on: November 05, 2021, 12:43:35 AM »
Also don't forget about the Nemophila album, more straightforward metal, but I think they got enough potential to break through to a wider audience, and I'll think you'll dig their pure talent since you don't have a hangup about foreign lyrics like some Canadian people I know. ::)
Those xenophobic Canadians, right?

Says the Brit to the American. :neverusethis:

Anyway that Nemophila album is on my post-roulette list, so I'll give it a listen and report back here.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s fogey roulette (v7) – Results (ranks 13-10)
« Reply #1865 on: November 05, 2021, 12:58:04 AM »
ROUND 6 RESULTS, ranks 13-10

HOF – Kip Winger
1. Kiss of Life
2. Another Way
3. Cross
4. Landslide
5. Resurrection

First impression: The music was pretty good, and the vocals added a nice warmth.

Final opinion: I finally get Winger and then I also get some of Kip’s solo stuff too! I enjoyed rom’s Winger submission, which had a youthful energy to it. But I have to say, this is even better. On these songs at least, he takes a more sincere and emotive approach, and it really works well. I’ve heard him sing on Jordan Rudess’s Rhythm of Time before, and loved his voice on those songs, and I like him a lot here too. From these small samples of songs, I get the impression that his voice and singing style matured somewhat over time. Either way, the singing here, while perhaps not technically anything special, have a lot of feeling and really add a lot of warmth to the songs. The last two, in particular, are really lovely.

You didn’t have the strongest start, but as a newbie to my roulettes that’s not unreasonable. But you seemed to get a better handle on my tastes pretty quickly, and consistently did well after that. Thanks for playing and I hope you’ll join my roulettes again in future!

Total score: 7.4 + 8.0 + 8.3 + 8.0 + 7.9 + 8.2 = 47.8
13th place

Luke – Propagandhi
1. Anti-Manifesto
2. Head? Chest? Or Foot?
3. Less Talk, More Rock
4. The Only Good Fascist Is a Very Dead Fascist

First impression: Incredibly similar sound to another band I quite like, if a little more serious.

Final opinion: Back to something that is very squarely in the punk rock genre, and it’s another solid submission. The band they remind me of a little is NOFX. Not nearly as bonkers as them of course, these guys have a slightly more straightforward and serious approach (although of course there is serious stuff underneath the fun surface of NOFX’s music and lyrics too). But something about this style of punk rock - fast and melodic with elements of hardcore in there - that creates a fairly similar sound. Not mind-blowing perhaps, but still some really good stuff.

Round score: 8.0

I’m really glad you joined this roulette again having skipped my last two, as I always know you’ll send me some stuff that nobody else will send, especially when it comes to punky stuff. Thanks for playing and even managing to get things to me on time when you had other crap you needed to deal with!

Total score: 7.9 + 8.3 + 8.1 + 7.7 + 8.2 + 8.0 = 48.2
12th place

Elite – Vulfpeck
1. Funky Duck
2. Cory Wong
3. Half of the Way
4. Animal Spirits
5. It Gets Funkier IV
6. Wait for the Moment
7. Outro

First impression: Really cool mix of groove and a bit of experimentation.

Final opinion: Ah I love this, everything about it is pretty great. The jazzy funk side of their music is really tight and groovy and just extremely cool, and they’re obviously very talented players. But I like how they’ve fused that with more straightforward pop, and the way they blend the two is quite creative. They take different approaches in different songs, leading to quite different but always damn fun results. I look forward to digging into their stuff!

Round score: 8.4

Shame about that round 2 submission (and not even all of it, just the half I didn’t like), as otherwise you’ve had a strong roulette and have very much finished on a high. I appreciate how, apart from David Bowie, you wanted to focus on jazzy/funky/fusiony stuff - may not have made you a title contender, but will definitely push me to explore some new (to me) music in those genres which I think is what you were going for!

Total score: 7.9 + 7.5 + 8.1 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 8.4 = 48.3
Joint 10th place

jingle – Mötley Crüe
1. Live Wire
2. Looks That Kill
3. Home Sweet Home
4. Wild Side
5. Kickstart My Heart

First impression: A couple of very enjoyable tunes, but the rest did little for me.

Final opinion: Sorry to say but the first three songs just don’t really interest me much at all. I couldn’t say that there’s anything wrong with them as such, they’re decent enough hard rock/glam metal with solid performances. I just don’t really get anything from them. Alone they’d have probably scored in the low 7s, but then the slightly later (I assume) songs are a big improvement. Wild Side is absurdly catchy, and has some really fun riffing to go along with it. Kickstart My Heart isn’t quite such a blast, but it’s also a great hard rock song with some good hooks.

Round score: 7.9

In my past roulettes, you’ve not had much luck with older music, tending to score better with more recent stuff where our tastes overlap. But I’m glad that the format this time allowed you to experiment more with pre-2000s music and find some that really hit the right notes for me! Thanks for some great music, and of course the banter as well.

Total score: 8.4 + 7.9 + 8.1 + 7.7 + 8.3 + 7.9 = 48.3
Joint 10th place

Scores so far:

10. jingle   = 8.4 + 7.9 + 8.1 + 7.7 + 8.3 + 7.9 = 48.3
10. Elite    = 7.9 + 7.5 + 8.1 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 8.4 = 48.3
12. Luke     = 7.9 + 8.3 + 8.1 + 7.7 + 8.2 + 8.0 = 48.2
13. HOF      = 7.4 + 8.0 + 8.3 + 8.0 + 7.9 + 8.2 = 47.8
14. lonestar = 8.1 + 7.7 + 8.3 + 7.6 + 7.8 + 8.2 = 47.7
15. romdrums = 7.8 + 8.2 + 8.1 + 7.9 + 7.4 + 8.1 = 47.5
15. Puppies  = 7.2 + 8.1 + 7.7 + 8.2 + 8.0 + 8.3 = 47.5
17. Ruba     = 7.8 + 8.1 + 7.1 + 8.2 + 7.7 + 8.4 = 47.3
18. king     = 8.3 + 7.3 + 8.0 + 7.8 + 7.8 + 7.9 = 47.1

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1866 on: November 05, 2021, 01:07:41 AM »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1867 on: November 05, 2021, 02:09:50 AM »
Okay I'm awake to see just how exactly I managed to not get the win again :metal
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1868 on: November 05, 2021, 02:36:19 AM »
Strongest submission in the last round! :metal

And yes, I did go for all the jazz / funk stuff on purpose. Shame the Mahavishnu Orchestra cost me a higher final score, but I'm glad you got something out of it. Thanks for having me and for being the fastest roulette host ever. Having 18 candidates and delivering everything on time all the time is a really impressive feat!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1869 on: November 05, 2021, 05:03:25 AM »
Fun as always.  You always run a top-notch roulette.   :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1870 on: November 05, 2021, 06:29:40 AM »
:dangerwillrobinson:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1871 on: November 05, 2021, 06:29:58 AM »
Vulfpeck is a beast of a band. I recommend you watch their live performance at Madison Square Garden, it's on youtube. They sound even better live and are just too fun to watch.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1872 on: November 05, 2021, 06:40:36 AM »
Woo not the last place!  :lol

Glad you enjoyed Animal Alpha, I thought it was a bit of a risky move but since I had nothing to lose I just sent what I liked.  :biggrin: Although I had a feeling you might appreciate the quirkiness.

Online romdrums

« Reply #1873 on: November 05, 2021, 06:56:06 AM »

romdrums – Winger
1. Madalaine
2. Time to Surrender
3. Rainbow in the Rose
4. In the Day We’ll Never See
5. You Are the Saint, I Am the Sinner

First impression: Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Final opinion: My seventh roulette and finally someone sends me Winger! I’ve seen so much Winger banter over the years here at DTF but never thought to check them out. I didn’t have any particular pre-conceptions, although part of me sort of expected some standard cheesy 80s classic rock. As it happens, this is actually really good stuff. Some cheesy elements for sure, but nothing out of the ordinary in that regard, and otherwise this is just some really solid hard rock with some proggy tendencies here and there. Time to Surrender and Rainbow in the Rose in particular are just great tunes.

:lol :metal

Glad you dug Winger.  I think their reputation is somewhat unjustified, Seventeen aside. They were solid musicians and more talented than most of the bands that ended up under the hair metal tag.  I actually got to see them perform at a work meeting a few years ago, and even the most cynical and jaded of my co-workers came away impressed with the musicianship they displayed. 

Also, I really hope you enjoy digging in to Mr. Mister! They've been a favorite of mine since I was a kid.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1874 on: November 05, 2021, 07:30:55 AM »
ROUND 6 RESULTS, ranks 13-10

HOF – Kip Winger
1. Kiss of Life
2. Another Way
3. Cross
4. Landslide
5. Resurrection

First impression: The music was pretty good, and the vocals added a nice warmth.

Final opinion: I finally get Winger and then I also get some of Kip’s solo stuff too! I enjoyed rom’s Winger submission, which had a youthful energy to it. But I have to say, this is even better. On these songs at least, he takes a more sincere and emotive approach, and it really works well. I’ve heard him sing on Jordan Rudess’s Rhythm of Time before, and loved his voice on those songs, and I like him a lot here too. From these small samples of songs, I get the impression that his voice and singing style matured somewhat over time. Either way, the singing here, while perhaps not technically anything special, have a lot of feeling and really add a lot of warmth to the songs. The last two, in particular, are really lovely.

You didn’t have the strongest start, but as a newbie to my roulettes that’s not unreasonable. But you seemed to get a better handle on my tastes pretty quickly, and consistently did well after that. Thanks for playing and I hope you’ll join my roulettes again in future!

Total score: 7.4 + 8.0 + 8.3 + 8.0 + 7.9 + 8.2 = 47.8
13th place

Awesome! I’m glad you got to hear the development from Winger to Kip’s solo stuff in one round. Nobody sent you anything from Pull, but that is almost a bridge between early Winger and his solo stuff, and one of the best things to come out of the hair metal scene. By the time it came out in 1993 the writing was already on the wall for Winger and hair metal in general, so it never really got it’s due. After the band split, Kip branched out with his solo stuff and then also started seriously studying classical composition. He’s really a tremendous musician. You get a better sense for his abilities as bass player and guitarist on his solo stuff, and his voice has really developed over time as well.

His most recent work is strictly classical. One piece was nominated for a Grammy and another that’s been choreographed and performed by a major US ballet. In between all that his wife died in a car accident, and Songs from the Ocean Floor is all about Kip’s recovery process from that loss. I mentioned before, it’s one of my favorite albums and definitely worth a full listen when you have the chance. 

Thanks for running a great roulette! Still not sure what happened with The Blue Nile, which ended up sinking me early, but it’s all good. I enjoyed playing along. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1875 on: November 05, 2021, 07:47:57 AM »
Vulfpeck is a beast of a band. I recommend you watch their live performance at Madison Square Garden, it's on youtube. They sound even better live and are just too fun to watch.

Echoing this! Even though I already said as much in my PM when I sent them, but I stuck with only studio versions for this round.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1876 on: November 05, 2021, 07:57:10 AM »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s fogey roulette (v7) – Results (ranks 9-5)
« Reply #1877 on: November 05, 2021, 08:12:55 AM »
ROUND 6 RESULTS, ranks 9-5

wolfking – Stortregn
1. Through the Dark Gates
2. Lawless
3. Children of the Obsidian Light

First impression: Epic as hell.

Final opinion: Epic as hell.

Round score: 8.8

Two weaker rounds took you out of contention (and one of those was particularly unfortunate), but damn you performed well for the rest of the roulette, and what a way to finish. I’ve loved having you in my last two roulettes Kade, hope you’ll continue to play in future ones too!

Total score: 7.5 + 8.1 + 8.2 + 8.4 + 7.5 + 8.8 = 48.5
Joint 7th place

Kwyjibo – All About Eve
1. Flowers In Our Hair
2. Wild Hearted Woman
3. Lady Moonlight
4. Road To Your Soul
5. December

First impression: The style isn’t anything special really, but the execution is really nice.

Final opinion: This was one of the biggest growers of the round. I found it all very pleasant from the start, but on both my first two listens nothing really stood out and I thought it was perhaps just slightly mundane. But on my third listen, Lady Moonlight clicked for me, what a really gorgeous and moody song. And then on the fourth listen, I found myself enjoying Wild Hearted Woman a lot more as well. The other three aren’t as strong, but I’m now finding them all quite enjoyable as well. Who knows, maybe if I just keep listening enough they’ll click as well!

Round score: 8.0

Perhaps not where you’d have liked to finish when you were topping the table at round 2, but still the highest ranked newbie to my roulettes so a damn fine performance. You never quite managed to reach the highs of those first two rounds, but pretty much everything you sent me was great so thank you!

Total score: 8.5 + 8.3 + 7.5 + 8.1 + 8.1 + 8.0 = 48.5
Joint 7th place

Cyril – The Paper Chase
1. Said the Spider to the Fly
2. You’re One of Them Aren’t You?
3. the laying of hands the speaking of tongues (the mass hysteria)
4. the small of your back the nape of your neck (the blizzard)
5. ...And All The Candy You Can Eat
6. All Manner of Pox or Canker
7. Dying With Decent Music

First impression: I like weird music, but I suspect this will be too weird.

Final opinion: This was another grower, but man I just have such mixed feelings about it. :lol I have to be honest, I really struggled quite a lot on my first two listens. A lot of the music is really quite discordant, and even in the bigger and more melodic bits, there is normally something going on that’s slightly off-key or out-of-tune (intentionally) that makes it quite unsettling and hard to get into. But then the weird thing was that on my third listen I did start getting into it, in places anyway. And more so again on the fourth listen. Some of it I still struggle with, but there are places where it just works and creates a really dark and intense energy. I’m not sure how much I’ll like a whole album, but at least I now genuinely want to check one out.

Round score: 7.5

Shame to drop a few places right at the end, but the risk you took with the last submission is a great illustration of what I love about you being in my roulettes - more than probably anyone else, you challenge me with things that I’m not sure I like, but because I have to give it a proper chance I find myself liking it more than I thought. It may not have paid off but I damn well appreciate it.

Total score: 8.4 + 7.8 + 8.4 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 7.5 = 48.5
Joint 7th place

Sacul – Sufjan Stevens
1. Vesuvius
2. Make Me An Offer I Cannot Refuse
3. Reach Out
4. Olympus
5. Fourth of July - Live

First impression: Some of this was gorgeous, some was quite surprising.

Final opinion: Well now, this was quite surprising. Not so much Reach Out and Olympus, which were more in the standard folk vein of his earlier work that I already knew, although perhaps even more stripped back. They’re lovely songs though, comparable with the better stuff I already knew from him. But then the other three were quite different. It seems after I stopped following him, he went in a more electronic direction with elements of glitch-pop, but with the same sort of melodic approach he takes with his folk music, and it’s a great mix. Both songs are kind of gorgeous really. And then what a song to finish with, it’s a great live recording. The song starts so delicate and emotive, but the way it builds up at the end is masterful.

Round score: 8.5

This was not one of your more consistent performances in my roulettes, but the funny thing is that the highs were so high that you’ve ended up placing higher than ever before. Half the stuff you sent me was excellent (including two of the best of the whole roulette) and the rest was all interesting.

Total score: 7.6 + 7.8 + 8.7 + 8.1 + 7.9 + 8.5 = 48.6
6th place

Buddy – Greet Death
1. Sheets of White
2. Bow
3. You’re Gonna Hate What You’ve Done
4. Strain

First impression: Sounded intriguing and kind of bleak, not sure what to think yet.

Final opinion: I have to say, this style of shoegaze/slowcore/whatever you want to call it isn’t normally something that grabs me, but I’m liking these songs quite a lot. There is a bleakness that runs throughout them, but quite a richness too and some songs are somewhat upbeat (musically at least, I’ve not really dug properly into the lyrics). That all serves to make quite a unique blend. Unusually for the genre, the production also has quite a full sound. This makes it a more engaging listen in general, and especially on headphones where you can really immerse yourself in it. You’re Gonna Hate What You’ve Done especially is just such a great listen.

That Slayer submission at the start was an error for sure, and ultimately stopped you being able to mount a challenge to retain your title. But by god, you gave it a good go and somehow still made it into the top 5. Thanks for sending me lots of great music and causing my bank account pain once again!

Total score: 7.2 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 8.3 + 8.6 + 8.1 = 48.7
5th place

Scores so far:

5. Buddy    = 7.2 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 8.3 + 8.6 + 8.1 = 48.7
 6. Sacul    = 7.6 + 7.8 + 8.7 + 8.1 + 7.9 + 8.5 = 48.6
 7. Cyril    = 8.4 + 7.8 + 8.4 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 7.5 = 48.5
 7. Kwyjibo  = 8.5 + 8.3 + 7.5 + 8.1 + 8.1 + 8.0 = 48.5
 7. wolfking = 7.5 + 8.1 + 8.2 + 8.4 + 7.5 + 8.8 = 48.5

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1878 on: November 05, 2021, 08:35:59 AM »
Stadler, TAC, Nekov and Evermind left :corn
Squ

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1879 on: November 05, 2021, 08:45:24 AM »
WOW.  Top four is rarified air for me.  I'm usually either out in the preliminary rounds or at best middle of the pack.   All I can say is  the Fogeys are representin'!!   

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1880 on: November 05, 2021, 08:54:01 AM »
Yeah, two fogies vs two non-fogies left!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1881 on: November 05, 2021, 09:11:52 AM »
Lady Moonlight is the song I didn't want to include at first, because it is so stripped down in comparison to the rest. Glad I included it and glad you liked it.

Thanks for having me. It was a lot of fun relistening to all my favorite 80s artists to decide what to sent you.

Yeah, two fogies vs two non-fogies left!

Go! Fogies! Go!  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1882 on: November 05, 2021, 09:14:31 AM »
Damn this is moving fast. Seems that Rich got two Wingers in one round and promptly shut this thing down.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1883 on: November 05, 2021, 09:18:00 AM »
Top five baybeee! Thanks for having me again, it was fun. And I likely wouldn't have discovered that Comus album myself were it not for the pre-90s rule, so thank you for that as well. :)

Looking forward to the post-roulette updates!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1884 on: November 05, 2021, 09:34:47 AM »
Wow, nice top 4.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1885 on: November 05, 2021, 10:47:24 AM »
haha nice one now where's the real results :metardica:

i don't regret this submission at all because this band is basically the only music I've cared about for like the past three months and I absolutely nailed the submission so yeah cool

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s fogey roulette (v7) – FINAL RESULTS
« Reply #1886 on: November 05, 2021, 11:05:43 AM »
ROUND 6 RESULTS, ranks 4-1 - WE HAVE A WINNER!

Stadler – Paul McCartney/Wings
1. Jet
2. Band On The Run
3. Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey - Medley
4. Junior’s Farm
5. Maybe I’m Amazed

First impression: These songs are cool in slightly different ways.

Final opinion: I mostly ended up enjoying these songs more than I thought I would. Two of the Wings songs, Jet and Junior’s Farm, didn’t stay as interesting as I thought at first - they’re fine, just a little unexciting to me. But the other one, Band On The Run, is fantastic and the best song here. Just has a really great vibe and I love the contrast in tone between the verses and chorus. Of McCartney’s solo songs, Uncle Albert is pretty cute and very Beatles sounding, while Maybe I’m Amazed is great, very heartfelt. I like all the songs, some more than others, but I also like how your submission has such a nice variety to it.

Well, after you came last in my previous roulette and were lounging towards the bottom halfway through this one, I imagine neither of us expected such a high placement. But then you sent me comfortably the best submission of the roulette. And thankfully everything else you’ve sent me ranged from solid to great, meaning you were in a position to be able jump up the table. Really glad that you’ve kept coming back for more punishment each roulette, and that it’s finally paid off with a well deserved high ranking!

Total score: 7.7 + 8.0 + 7.8 + 8.1 + 9.1 + 8.1 = 48.8
4th place

TAC – Burial In The Sky
1. Amaurosis Shroud
2. Wayfarer
3. Anatomy of Us

First impression: Making good use of being able to send music from this millennium.

Final opinion: You said this was for the BTBAM fan in me, and I can sort of see that in terms of its intensity and heaviness. But this is pretty different really, doesn’t have their quirky proggyness and is more squarely in a technical death metal style. It’s still great though - like many good metal bands it brings in a variety of styles and ideas, and balances the heavy with the more atmospheric. The use of saxophone, in particular, is really nicely done. It’s not totally unique within extreme metal, but distinctive enough to add quite an exciting element to something that was already really strong.

Round score: 8.3

You just keep doing better and better in my roulettes. Fourth place this time, and third place this time with not a single score below an 8. I’ve really been enjoying playing in each other’s roulettes and getting to know each other’s tastes better - long may it continue!

Total score: 8.4 + 8.0 + 8.2 + 8.1 + 8.1 + 8.3 = 49.1
3rd place

Nekov – Iluvatar
1. Iluvatar
2. In the Eye
3. Wait for the Call
4. New Found Key

First impression: Seems like a nice mix of influences here.

Final opinion: Ok so it turns out you sent me one of these songs in that mystery judge roulette, back in early 2013. It did ok, but not great. To be honest I don’t remember that at all, but I gather I was going through a phase of having little interest in older sounding music, which indeed went on until fairly recently which was the whole point of this roulette. Happy to say that I like this a lot more now. It’s a little on the dated side, sure, being a 90s band playing in the style of 70s and 80s prog, and it maybe teeters on the edge of derivative at times. But it does draw from a range of different influences, without sounding too much like any one of them, and they do it to really good effect.

Halfway through the roulette, it did look like you might be able to steal the win from Ruslan just like you did way back in my v3 (my first album roulette). But his first two rounds were just that bit better than yours, and he refused to slip up the rest of the time. You always send me some great music, but this time it was incredibly consistent (one of only three people not to score below an 8) so thank you!

Total score: 8.0 + 8.4 + 8.3 + 8.3 + 8.1 + 8.2 = 49.3
2nd place

Evermind – Antimatter
1. Leaving Eden - Live
2. Little Piggy - Live
3. Too Late - Live

First impression: Moody and emotive - I definitely like it, but do I like it enough?

Final opinion: You took a risk sending a band I’ve only ever rated fairly low before, but once again you’ve pulled it off. Admittedly I’d only previously heard one album from them and that was ages ago, but regardless, this acoustic live set your submission comes from sounds excellent. Leaving Eden especially is very melancholy and moving, just a gorgeous song and performance. The other two don’t hit me in the feels quite as much, but they’re still really good and I just love the overall sound. The singer’s voice is very warm, and the way strings are used really accentuates the rest of the music.

You finally did it! :D Having been cruelly denied in both my v3 (higher average score than Diego but lost because of my, admittedly unnecessarily convoluted, scoring system) and then my v6 (tied with Buddy and had the win stolen through prisoners’ dilemma), there was every chance something like that could have happened again. But your consistency in my roulettes has become ridiculous - that’s now two full roulettes with no score below an 8 - and combined with a couple of particularly strong rounds, that made it too difficult to catch you this time. Congrats, well done and most of all thank you!

Total score: 8.6 + 8.1 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 8.2 + 8.2 = 49.6
1st place!

Final scores after Round 6:

1. Evermind = 8.6 + 8.1 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 8.2 + 8.2 = 49.6
 2. Nekov    = 8.0 + 8.4 + 8.3 + 8.3 + 8.1 + 8.2 = 49.3
 3. TAC      = 8.4 + 8.0 + 8.2 + 8.1 + 8.1 + 8.3 = 49.1
 4. Stadler  = 7.7 + 8.0 + 7.8 + 8.1 + 9.1 + 8.1 = 48.8
 5. Buddy    = 7.2 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 8.3 + 8.6 + 8.1 = 48.7
 6. Sacul    = 7.6 + 7.8 + 8.7 + 8.1 + 7.9 + 8.5 = 48.6
 7. Cyril    = 8.4 + 7.8 + 8.4 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 7.5 = 48.5
 7. Kwyjibo  = 8.5 + 8.3 + 7.5 + 8.1 + 8.1 + 8.0 = 48.5
 7. wolfking = 7.5 + 8.1 + 8.2 + 8.4 + 7.5 + 8.8 = 48.5

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1887 on: November 05, 2021, 11:10:46 AM »
:o
Squ

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1888 on: November 05, 2021, 11:28:18 AM »
Funny thing is, my pockets are still hella loaded with solid fogey submissions... Kind of surprised everyone left old school Aerosmith on the shelf, they had some top teir songs before getting sober and jumping the shark.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1889 on: November 05, 2021, 11:29:15 AM »
I demand a review from an independent committee on the possible influence of putin and the kgb on these results!

Congrats again Ruslan, it was a good one