Author Topic: ariich’s fogey roulette (v7) – FINAL RESULTS  (Read 64771 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s fogey roulette (v7) – R5 surprise early results!
« Reply #1575 on: October 28, 2021, 04:14:15 PM »
Ah bugger.  Serves me right for trying to cheat.  All good, to be fair, KD would be almost a top 5 bands for me but MF doesn't even come close, so I deserve that.
Makes sense now, but I guess it was worth a try!

Anyway, a few thoughts going into the final round.

The top 4 have been incredibly consistent and reliable all roulette. It's why, as the graphs show, the rest of the pack has seen quite a lot of movement from round to round but the top 4 have stayed steady for a few rounds now.

Ruslan has a clear lead, but not a comfortable one. He could screw it up, or even if he sends something solid, there are good few people within reaching distance if they send me something amazing.

If Stadler repeats what he just did in round 5, that could be the greatest upset in roulette history.

This doesn't normally happen in my roulettes, but the scores are spread out super evenly. This means that positions can shift a lot in this final round. So while you can't all win, any of you can end up in a solid position if you play a blinder.

And remember, this final round is unrestricted by date. The only banlists are the banned-during-roulette list from the OP, and any album I've rated in my RYM (again linked in the OP, which also explains how to navigate it if you're unsure).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1576 on: October 28, 2021, 04:15:41 PM »
 :hat indeed
Glad you liked it! I imagine you'll be a bigger fan of the group than me after you dive in. :biggrin:

I think I'm sticking with my guns for the final round. I don't see myself shooting up five spots with the current point gap, and I dunno when your next roulette will be so I'd rather share one of my recent favorite bands rather than something I think has a slightly better chance of scoring higher.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1577 on: October 28, 2021, 04:20:12 PM »
Glad you liked it! I imagine you'll be a bigger fan of the group than me after you dive in. :biggrin:
Quite possibly, but definitely not a problem. :D

I think I'm sticking with my guns for the final round. I don't see myself shooting up five spots with the current point gap, and I dunno when your next roulette will be so I'd rather share one of my recent favorite bands rather than something I think has a slightly better chance of scoring higher.
Yeah of course, although if there's something else in particular you had in mind, do feel free to send it to me as a post-roulette submission if you like. You might find I like what you send me for round 6 more anyway. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1578 on: October 28, 2021, 04:23:07 PM »
Yeah of course, although if there's something else in particular you had in mind, do feel free to send it to me as a post-roulette submission if you like. You might find I like what you send me for round 6 more anyway. :lol

Nah, I like saving my ammo. This is something I only didn't send in your last roulette due to the coin flip that resulted in me sending Elder instead. If you ever do a v8 and the rules allow it, you'll finally get it Round 1. :lol

...or Sacul could send it for me instead. ;) (that does not narrow it down at all, I realize)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1579 on: October 28, 2021, 04:28:26 PM »
Sent something brutal.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1580 on: October 28, 2021, 04:29:13 PM »
All this saving sounds like teens having sex for the 1st time. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1581 on: October 28, 2021, 04:34:30 PM »
Evermind gets a v  :metal
It's only for 0.1 point  :censored

Can't wait to tank next round

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1582 on: October 28, 2021, 04:36:08 PM »

:angel:

Sent!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1583 on: October 28, 2021, 04:36:11 PM »
Right, so after 4 rounds of jazz and one round of David Bowie, I don't think I'm going to score much higher than I have so far if I continue on this course, so I'll load up something else for the last round and see what happens :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1584 on: October 28, 2021, 04:39:39 PM »
There's one song in my submission I almost chickened out on sending because I thought it might be too much even for ariich but we'll see  :corn

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1585 on: October 28, 2021, 04:41:22 PM »
Right, so after 4 rounds of jazz and one round of David Bowie
I like how David Bowie is a genre. :lol

Sent something brutal.
There's one song in my submission I almost chickened out on sending because I thought it might be too much even for ariich but we'll see  :corn
Am I going to get pummelled with heavy music in this final round to make up for having to send old shit for the first five? :P

I be am boner inducing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1586 on: October 28, 2021, 04:42:23 PM »
Right, so after 4 rounds of jazz and one round of David Bowie
I like how David Bowie is a genre. :lol

Sent something brutal.
Am I going to get pummelled with heavy music in this final round to make up for having to send old shit for the first five? :P

Looks that way.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1587 on: October 28, 2021, 04:45:08 PM »
oh i would never chicken out of something for just being too heavy

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1588 on: October 28, 2021, 04:47:39 PM »

Not from this guy.  Well, I've zero hope of winning, so I'm seriously considering going all Leroy Jenkins.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1589 on: October 28, 2021, 04:58:10 PM »

:angel:

Sent!

Love you!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1590 on: October 28, 2021, 05:01:17 PM »
Oh boy, results are early. I'm on vacation, so I won't be able to send you anything until Sunday at the earliest. Hopefully that's alright.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1591 on: October 28, 2021, 05:04:47 PM »
Ok, go big or go home time...

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1592 on: October 28, 2021, 05:06:01 PM »
Oh boy, results are early. I'm on vacation, so I won't be able to send you anything until Sunday at the earliest. Hopefully that's alright.
Yep, completely fine - I'm away for the weekend anyway so listening time will be limited until Monday.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1593 on: October 28, 2021, 05:10:13 PM »
I meant to ask, had you heard the Fates Warning cover of Pray Your Gods? Just curious what your thoughts might be on that if you had. I've never listened to Blue October but my memory of them was that they were considered somewhat Peter Gabriel-ish, so maybe I'd like them. Probably some shared influences there (Peter Gabriel and Talk Talk at least were influences for Toad). I do think you should check out the Fear album. It's pretty eclectic and kind of an underrated gem from that period.

I'm really working that 8.0 average. Just need to get an 8.4 in the last round! Going to bring out the big guns and try to go down in a blaze of glory.

Sent!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 05:22:24 PM by HOF »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1594 on: October 28, 2021, 05:12:48 PM »
And sent...god help us all.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1595 on: October 28, 2021, 06:28:23 PM »
And sent...god help us all.

Or, at least Rich.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1597 on: October 28, 2021, 06:31:47 PM »
Ok, that was worse than my past result but not by much. I'm glad you liked the songs I sent. The band surely has a wide variety of styles so you may find songs that are maybe more folkish than others. They even have some blues oriented albums. You should definitely check their music, they've done some great stuff through the years.

I think I know what I will send for the last round. Will probably send tomorrow afternoon though.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1599 on: October 28, 2021, 06:51:32 PM »

jingle – Tesla
1. Edison’s Medicine
2. Modern Day Cowboy
3. Paradise
4. What You Give

First impression: :metal

Final opinion: Yeah this rocks. It's been interesting to see the reaction to Tesla in this thread, sounds like a lot of people who you might expect to like this style are lukewarm on them. I can't yet comment on their wider work, but this selection of songs at least is great. Real energy that got me headbanging along, top notch performances including the singer who I find really convincing, and crucially some great and memorable hooks. Not particularly unique or exciting in its overall style, but I really can't fault it in its execution.

Score: 8.3

Congrats to Chad and this score. I freaking loved Tesla. Those first 4 albums are so classic. Chad picked three great tunes, but I don't really rate What You Give. They had so many great tunes though. I'd put their Top 20 against anybody's.

Rich, glad you mentioned Jeff Keith (the singer). He really had a great style and is instantly recognizable. They were a 70's hard rock band with an 80's sound.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1600 on: October 28, 2021, 06:55:49 PM »
They were old school in an Era that wasn't. They were a breath of fresh air at the time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1601 on: October 28, 2021, 07:03:54 PM »
Yeah, I've told this story before but...I used to go home from college in my first couple of years. I was driving back one Sunday night in the fall of 1986 and I heard Modern Day Cowboy on the radio. I was FLOORED. I had never heard this before, but it sounded so amazing. When I got to my dorm, I literally called the radio station (request line, which usually went right to the DJ) and asked him what he played right before Bob Seger about 40 minutes ago..

I saw them open for David Lee Roth in January of 1987. They were amazing. Would go on to see them about a half dozen times from 1987 to 1994.

Fun Fact: Back in the day, I bought the vinyls of The Great Radio Controversy and WASP's Live In The Raw together.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1602 on: October 28, 2021, 07:07:55 PM »
We played that album every Saturday playing tackle football like idiots at my friend's house.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1603 on: October 28, 2021, 07:51:25 PM »

lonestar – Love and Rockets
1. No New Tale to Tell
2. Sweet Lover Hangover
3. Yin and Yang (The Flowerpot Man)
4. Sweet FA

I saw this and thought..they did a cover of Sweet FA. YES!!

Um....NO they didn't. :lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1604 on: October 29, 2021, 12:45:27 AM »
Well that was a failure  :lol. Probably should have gone with songs from Fantastic Planet only.

I don't really know what to send this round, but I'll figure it out by Sunday.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1605 on: October 29, 2021, 02:27:11 AM »
Kwyjibo – Thunder
1. Backstreet Symphony
2. Laughing on Judgement Day
3. Ball and Chain
4. This Forgotten Town

First impression: Liking the rocking vibe and performances, not yet sure about the melodic hooks.

Final opinion: This ended up being one of the biggest growers of the round. I'm not sure why the vocal melodies didn't interest me on first listen, I guess some tunes are just more immediate than others. I liked the rocking energy from the start though. Not quite the same but these songs remind me a little of Guns n Roses. Not up there with GNR's very best songs, but comparable with the next level down of solid album tracks. If all their stuff is comparable, I could see myself getting into them a fair bit. Standout songs are Laughing on Judgement Day and This Forgotten Town.

Score: 8.1

I can see the comparisons to GnR. Thunder aren't as wild as GnR, but are much more consistent imo. And they are still going strong and Danny Bowes still sounds great at age 61.

If you want to check them out, their first four are the strongest imo (Backstreet Symphony, Laughing On Judgement Day, Behind Closed Doors, The Thrill Of It All), with Judgement Day probably the best. From their later career I like The Magnificent Seventh and Wonder Days the best.

PS: sent for round 6
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1606 on: October 29, 2021, 07:12:20 AM »
And U2 got shot down.  I guess you still haven't found what you're looking for with them then? ;)

Sent for round 6.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1607 on: October 29, 2021, 07:31:47 AM »
Well I expected worse :lol . I'd still check out the whole album, the other songs have some very emotional and intense sections.
Sent!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 08:12:47 AM by Sacul »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1608 on: October 29, 2021, 08:42:56 AM »
Evermind gets a v  :metal
It's only for 0.1 point  :censored

Can't wait to tank next round

:lol

I have an idea what to send but I'm not sure Rich will like it at all, but I'm probably going to send it anyway.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1609 on: October 29, 2021, 09:30:42 AM »

If Stadler repeats what he just did in round 5, that could be the greatest upset in roulette history.

I appreciate you liking them - I know I do! - but that's a conundrum for me now.  Do I go for the upset, and actually "try", or do I do what I usually do in the last round of these and send Kiss.  :) :) :)