Author Topic: Invisible Monster Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !  (Read 34840 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Invisible Monster Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #490 on: September 28, 2021, 01:42:25 PM »
Not that I'm much of a lyrics guy, but these are about as deep as a puddle.  If they're referring to the pandemic then I suppose it's pretty straight forward.  Other than that, it just seems like another version of Panic Attack or The Enemy Inside. :dunno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #491 on: September 28, 2021, 03:53:53 PM »
So I was pretty underwhelmed when this came out, but when I played it now after waking up, IT FINALLY CLICKED. Funny how songs can sneak up on you sometimes.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 09:11:35 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline LKap13

« Reply #492 on: September 28, 2021, 07:49:01 PM »
Not that I'm much of a lyrics guy, but these are about as deep as a puddle.  If they're referring to the pandemic then I suppose it's pretty straight forward.  Other than that, it just seems like another version of Panic Attack or The Enemy Inside. :dunno:

Agree. To me the lyrics detract strongly

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #493 on: September 28, 2021, 08:39:09 PM »
Anyone else sometimes get the feeling that one or two differently placed words or snipped words would elevate DT's songs so much? I feel like that is a reoccurring theme on their albums.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #494 on: September 29, 2021, 12:39:28 AM »

The lyrics work just fine for me. I don't think every song will be a poetic masterpiece, but the lyrics to IM convey the story well, seem pretty well crafted and articulated and there doesn't seem to be anything too cringeworthy in there, so I like them.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #495 on: September 29, 2021, 06:03:09 AM »
Anyone else sometimes get the feeling that one or two differently placed words or snipped words would elevate DT's songs so much? I feel like that is a reoccurring theme on their albums.

As my high school English teacher used to say, "show, don't tell." unfortunately a lot of dt's recent lyrics are tell tell tell... Hits you over the head with the lack of subtlety

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #496 on: September 29, 2021, 07:58:42 AM »

As my high school English teacher used to say, "show, don't tell." unfortunately a lot of dt's recent lyrics are tell tell tell... Hits you over the head with the lack of subtlety

JP is more straight forward and blunt with his lyrics. The way he shows us is through the use of the music, the music sets the tone rather than the words themselves setting the tone.

Also, he could've just wrote lyrics by starting with a word that was great to sing underneath that melody and it grew from there. Which is what some lyricists do when writing lyrics, as they liked the word and just sang what flowed off the tongue.

This is one reason I do not pay much attention to lyrics or more so the words used in the lyrics. As long as I can either understand the message of the song or if it takes me on a journey with the words I don't mind.

I know some Rap songs that are great poems and can paint pictures with words.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline rab7

« Reply #497 on: September 29, 2021, 08:40:06 AM »

According to an interview, it's about anxiety

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: September 29, 2021, 09:42:14 AM »

I get the sense that the lyrics are speaking of the "Shadow" as Jung called it... everyone interprets things differently.

The main progression brings Blackwater Park era Opeth to my mind.  Without the Ebow of course.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #499 on: September 29, 2021, 10:04:21 AM »

I get the sense that the lyrics are speaking of the "Shadow" as Jung called it... everyone interprets things differently.

The main progression brings Blackwater Park era Opeth to my mind.  Without the Ebow of course.

The presence of the serpent is the anxiety. It's akin to the monster under your bed in regards to, you have a feeling it's there.

This presence of the invisible Monster is the effect of anxiety.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline rab7

« Reply #500 on: September 29, 2021, 10:18:20 AM »

The presence of the serpent is the anxiety. It's akin to the monster under your bed in regards to, you have a feeling it's there.

This presence of the invisible Monster is the effect of anxiety.

The first few times I listened, I actually got my interviews mixed up. JP described Sleeping Giant as one's potential to be a wicked person and choosing to use it as a force for good, but I misremembered it as Invisible Monster.

So the whole time I was trying to fit IM's lyrics into that idea and it kind of works but doesn't

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #501 on: September 29, 2021, 12:01:01 PM »
Really cool new GW video with JP discussion the main melody in IM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKixvVgo-bs

Tone is so chocolatey

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #502 on: September 29, 2021, 01:35:19 PM »
Really cool new GW video with JP discussion the main melody in IM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKixvVgo-bs

Tone is so chocolatey

:metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: September 29, 2021, 03:59:47 PM »
Not sure how anyone could listen to the song and think it's about Covid.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #504 on: September 29, 2021, 09:37:05 PM »
I totally see it as anxiety disorder. My son has it, and it is the most miserable, debilitating POS there is. The song isn't hyperbolic in any way. After years and years of suffering, I know we both would prefer covid. Live or die.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #505 on: September 29, 2021, 09:47:15 PM »
I totally see it as anxiety disorder. My son has it, and it is the most miserable, debilitating POS there is. The song isn't hyperbolic in any way. After years and years of suffering, I know we both would prefer covid. Live or die.

I have suffered horrifically Since childhood and take this EXTREMELY personal. 2 of my 3 boys inherited this from me and I feel awful and responsible. Unless you suffer or someone close to you does its difficult to understand and the stigma is truly sad and misunderstood. I literally want to cry now.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #506 on: September 29, 2021, 10:14:29 PM »

I have suffered horrifically Since childhood and take this EXTREMELY personal. 2 of my 3 boys inherited this from me and I feel awful and responsible. Unless you suffer or someone close to you does its difficult to understand and the stigma is truly sad and misunderstood. I literally want to cry now.

I am sorry if I upset you. I am in the middle of this monster right now, and felt the need to speak about how the song hit me. Hugs to you, as good as they can be online.  :heart

Offline rab7

« Reply #507 on: September 30, 2021, 08:33:42 AM »

It's not your fault. It's not like you had a choice which genes to pass down

Offline Glasser

« Reply #508 on: September 30, 2021, 10:26:05 AM »

I am sorry if I upset you. I am in the middle of this monster right now, and felt the need to speak about how the song hit me. Hugs to you, as good as they can be online.  :heart

No, you didn't upset me at all. Hugs back to you. I use mindful meditation and yoga mudras to ease this. Sadly a psych put me on klonopin 21 years ago and now I am stuck on this. This specific benzo is nearly impossible to come off of safely.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 05:29:10 PM by Glasser »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #509 on: September 30, 2021, 10:30:25 AM »

It's not your fault. It's not like you had a choice which genes to pass down

I know but always feared it would happen and its crippling to see. The only positive is I can help them as far as understanding and that's huge because when I was a kid I was told to suck it up :(

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #510 on: September 30, 2021, 10:33:50 AM »
Sorry to hear about that, Glasser and Geeemo.  I cannot imagine how difficult that must be. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #511 on: September 30, 2021, 10:43:44 AM »
Sorry to hear about that, Glasser and Geeemo.  I cannot imagine how difficult that must be.
and you don't want to either, believe me (fellow mental health person here too btw, although not anxiety disorder (anymore, used to though))
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Glasser

« Reply #512 on: September 30, 2021, 04:24:03 PM »
and you don't want to either, believe me (fellow mental health person here too btw, although not anxiety disorder (anymore, used to though))

My heart and strength are with you. ❤️‍🩹✊

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #513 on: September 30, 2021, 04:35:41 PM »

I totally agree with this.  While many had basically figured it out already, I was disappointed in the Live Scenes commentary when the band came right out and gave specifics about the Scenes storyline.  I like when things are sometimes left to the imagination or a bit ambiguous with a bit of mystery. 

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: October 01, 2021, 03:06:19 PM »
I can't believe that nobody's mentioned that the specter in the painting (song video and JP's video explanation of the song structure) looks almost exactly like the face on "In The Heart of the Young's" cover art... cough, TAC, cough.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: October 01, 2021, 05:43:18 PM »
As i've said before I find Myungs lyrics really platitudinous and just like quotes from a self help book.

Especially Breaking All Illusions and Fall Into The Light.

It's all " Look into the water - time will reveal . Open your eyes. Search inside. Looking Out. Everything will be Ok. I was Blind But Now I see ". . .

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #516 on: October 01, 2021, 06:41:11 PM »
FITL is Myung? All this time I thought S2N is his only lyrics in D/T.  :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #517 on: October 02, 2021, 08:08:07 AM »

They're in the booklet.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #518 on: October 02, 2021, 02:37:24 PM »
As i've said before I find Myungs lyrics really platitudinous and just like quotes from a self help book.

It's all " Look into the water - time will reveal . Open your eyes. Search inside. Looking Out. Everything will be Ok. I was Blind But Now I see ". . .

Yes, those songs aren’t his best work although I’m not sure if they were JP co-writes.

Learning To Live lyrics are amazing imo, absolutely love them.  Lifting Shadows Off a Dream and Trial Of Tears are great too.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #519 on: October 02, 2021, 03:00:12 PM »

Yes, those songs aren’t his best work although I’m not sure if they were JP co-writes.

Learning To Live lyrics are amazing imo, absolutely love them.  Lifting Shadows Off a Dream and Trial Of Tears are great too.

BAI, FITL and S2N were all co-written by JP.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #520 on: October 02, 2021, 04:06:27 PM »

They're in the booklet.

I only buy digital because I am in the 3rd world.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: October 02, 2021, 04:29:21 PM »
America ? :neverusethis:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #522 on: October 02, 2021, 04:56:02 PM »
The South. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #523 on: October 02, 2021, 06:58:07 PM »
America ? :neverusethis:

The Philippines. Shipping would be even more expensive than the CD. I do not even have a CD player anymore.  :rollin

Offline Pettor

« Reply #524 on: October 02, 2021, 11:11:31 PM »
LaBrie really have become the favorite lyricist for me. Even stuff like Viper King or Far From Reach has excellent writing to me. I can kind of see his Queen influence in a way. At Wits End ofc is another league but imagine LaBrie writing the epic!

I the end I am happy they have several people writing lyrics so you kind of get a different take. JP is very direct and won't make the top poems of the century, but that's nice imo.

Portnoy had some really great stuff btw. Glass Prison is such a good way of writing lyrics with the use of a metaphor. He still gets the anxiety, message and point through when the ending hits.