Author Topic: Invisible Monster Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !  (Read 33615 times)

Offline NoseofNicko

Re: Invisible Monster Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2021, 11:24:34 PM »
Liked it but didn’t love it on first listen but it sounds like a grower.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Invisible Monsters Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2021, 11:34:37 PM »
That's pretty much where I am.

We're lucky they're this good after 36 years and 15 albums. Most bands end up sounding like all the bands they inspired.

I'm not even bothered if this album is a little safe. Maybe the next one will be different ! :)

Exactly! This album has new elements, I wouldn't say its "safe" as a whole. ATM will knock you all on your asses for sure, they are saving the "meat" for the release, I love both singles but this cat only has 2 paws out of the bag!  :)

This quote makes me more excited for what's to come, and I say bring it on.  :yarr :corn :metal

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2021, 11:39:55 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 12:55:27 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2021, 11:59:48 PM »
Well, that did nothing for me.

It started of promisingly enough with the Awake style intro, but it was all downhill from there. The whole band sounds exhausted. The song feels like it builds towards something that never happens.

I legitimately struggled to get through this one. I could pick any song from D/T, and it would be better than this.

I truly hope that this is the absolute rock bottom this album is going to hit.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2021, 12:28:07 AM »
Not too fond of the song as well. There are some sparks of interests scattered around, especially the section around 2:20 which has a bit of a power metal element to it.
Good that James is singing mostly around his comfortable range, hence the less usage of effects on his voice.

Overall a pretty run of the mill song. I liked the Alien much more.
Still excited about the album, but i can't deny that Invisible Monster was a bit of a disappointment.

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2021, 12:46:21 AM »
Not too fond of the song as well. There are some sparks of interests scattered around, especially the section around 2:20 which has a bit of a power metal element to it.
Good that James is singing mostly around his comfortable range, hence the less usage of effects on his voice.

Overall a pretty run of the mill song. I liked the Alien much more.
Still excited about the album, but i can't deny that Invisible Monster was a bit of a disappointment.

Agree. a weak song that did not give me anything, only small positive is the chorus which is a little bit catchy. No suprises anymore. Lets hope this is the weakest song on the album.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2021, 12:46:39 AM »
I think the chorus is quite catchy and song overall has some interesting chord changes etc. A bit sad that they don't experiment a bit more to give the song something special. The intro also gave me SDOIT vibe. And to a certain degree the song do have SDOIT in it's DNA. It's not a direct song but rather builds on a dark vibe much like Misunderstood or Great Debate. However without the same fantastic delivery as both those songs. Anyway I don't fully get the negative stuff here. This is a well crafted, quite safe, song that will fit nicely into an album. I am sure the best stuff is yet to come ofc but why would we want them to spoil that for us?

Production is fantastic! Even better than D/T. Personally I think this is a pretty cool direction for DT. Both Alien and Invisible Monster have a distinct sound. Not a big focus on catchy chorus or similar but I can see how they both add up fantastic on the album.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2021, 12:47:51 AM »
Maybe Dream Theater just doesn't excite me anymore, but they do sound bored. They don't even experiment with song structure anymore or even try anything even slightly outside the box. HIRE A PRODUCER THAT WILL PUSH YOU IN NEW DIRECTIONS!

I mean, they definitely don't need to reinvent the wheel, but what happened to the progressive in progressive metal. It's gone. They are in a rut, imo.

The Astonishing. Sure, it still sounds like Dream Theater (odd if it sounded like Slayer) but it was absolutely unexpected, in terms of structure (a rock opera that sounds like a musical, really?).

They did and had to endure a flood of shit.

Honestly, I don't expect anything like that ever again. On the contrary, I expect a band right in the comfort zone. 
Since then we've had a record that doesn't take many risks and two new tracks that are also very traditional.

Maybe soon I'll find out I'm wrong, but I would be EXTREMELY SURPRISED.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2021, 12:50:00 AM »
With the title I was expecting something really nasty in the vein of Dark Eternal Night. They went a different way with it, hahah. Expectations aside, I like the idea of a melodic, mid-tempo track. Unfortunately IM is just not a very good one.

I'm not too concerned though. I don't really care for the three singles from the last album and I like Alien quite a bit, so I'm still pretty psyched for this album!

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2021, 01:10:19 AM »
What compounds the problem of my listening experience for this song is that the three times I played this song, a song from D/T autoplays after and I can't help but feel more excited with the D/T song. Will listen to my iTunes later.

I wish D/T had the production of DT15 because I love the album especially Surrender to Reason!

D/T = Distance over Time

Noob mistake, I though DoT was Distance over Time:blush

It's also.

Yes, I know, this lack of rigor in the nomenclature is terrible.  :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2021, 01:24:26 AM »
I don't know what kind of boredom you guys are hearing in the song, but I'm really enjoying the song on my first few listens. :tup
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2021, 01:26:37 AM »
If you're dating one of the sexiest females on the planet who gives an amazing blow job are you going to all of a sudden dump her if she doesn't swallow twice?

No, but I would consider dumping someone who calls women "females". :P

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2021, 01:28:51 AM »
As a resident Radiohead fan, I have to call BS on the earlier post in this thread about them. They never threw their guitars away and starting exclusively using keyboards and drum machines.  That is a lie.

Anyway, back to the new DT!

Yea you're right.  They didn't throw away their guitars, just their distortion pedals!  ::)

Bodysnatchers would like a word with you

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2021, 01:29:01 AM »
Just got through my first listen. I definitely hear a Queensryche Mindcrime/Metropolis vibe to the main riff. The phrasings that JP uses kinda reminds me a little bit of The Mission. And of course, Metropolis, which apparently QR had an influence on that riff.
It wasn't mind blowing but I enjoyed it. I need to go back and listen again, but I remember liking the middle section quite a bit, especially with what JP was doing. I thought that was interesting.
Also nice to hear the vocal melodies relaxed. Just thinking of JLB singing it live.
It may have just been what I was listening to the song on (TV), but the vocals did seem a little low in the mix in places.
Overall, I like it.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2021, 01:39:45 AM »
If you're dating one of the sexiest females on the planet who gives an amazing blow job are you going to all of a sudden dump her if she doesn't swallow twice?

No, but I would consider dumping someone who calls women "females". :P

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2021, 01:44:34 AM »
So I tried listening to this back to back with The Alien and the song works if its function is pacing the album with a more straightforward rocker after an aggressive heavy song. I guess my appreciation of this song would depend on how Answering the Call would sound. This may end up like how I felt about Now Comes The Rain by Fates Warning. On its own, does not work, but for the pacing of the full album, it does its job well.

I now get what is not working for me. The second verse. Extending the line to 9/4 does not sound right because the lines James is singing are too short.

Based on this and The Alien, I think the band is now consciously writing vocal melodies that are within James' comfortable range.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 02:09:44 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline JRuless

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2021, 02:12:37 AM »
I don't know what kind of boredom you guys are hearing in the song, but I'm really enjoying the song on my first few listens. :tup

This. Maybe i'm too much of a fanboy (I'm also think that TA is a musical masterpiece) but I like this kind of songwriting from DT.
All I hear is a well known DT signature. Not too catchy/cheesy catchy melody. A growing piece of music. Cant wait to hear the rest.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2021, 02:13:10 AM »
Only one listen with low volume, I heard nice bits here and there but nothing amazing, I hope it'll be nicer at full blast.

I begin to be scared about what I read from people who already listened to this album, some said that the alien was less fresh and surprising than the others and the second single is boring compared to the alien...It's not like there was 13 songs on the album :D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2021, 02:21:42 AM »
Yes which is why I'd prefer more actual songs than 'our new album is four 20 minute songs!' or whatever.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2021, 02:24:33 AM »
As a resident Radiohead fan, I have to call BS on the earlier post in this thread about them. They never threw their guitars away and starting exclusively using keyboards and drum machines.  That is a lie.

Yea you're right.  They didn't throw away their guitars, just their distortion pedals!  ::) 

That's also a lie :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline emtee

« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2021, 02:27:43 AM »
Love the intro. Really like that JR is restrained. Sonically it's awesome. However, I kept expecting the song to morph into something but it never did. Good song but not great. I'm sure it will grow with more spins.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2021, 03:08:31 AM »
I just listened to the song once so my opinion might change, but I didn't hear anything that stands out. It's a pretty simple, radio-friendly song with a nice atmosphere. Definitely not what I want from DT, but I can sure live with a couple of such songs (my guess is that Transcending Time will be something similar). I won't hide my disappointment that not all of the songs on the album are crazy, but that was a pretty unrealistic expectation to begin with. I still expect for this to be the best DT release since ADTOE

It might be worth noting that this is the worst 2nd single since 2013 (Moment of Betrayal and Fall into the Light were much better), but The Alien was such a great song so it compensates
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Seppe76

« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2021, 03:51:04 AM »
I prefer The Alien.
Not a bad song, but I'm disappointed.
Disappointed because everything sounds the same.
Dream Theater remain my favorite band, but I guess they don't have a lot of ideas lately.
To be clear, I am afraid that we will no longer hear a Space Dye Vest, a Learning to Live, a Dance of Eternity ..
At this point, to change this deal, it takes a change of line up as soon as possible..
These two single are good, but nothing new...

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2021, 04:18:08 AM »
To be clear, I am afraid that we will no longer hear a Space Dye Vest, a Learning to Live, a Dance of Eternity ..
At this point, to change this deal, it takes a change of line up as soon as possible..

Or, you might consider to listen to something else entirely :)
Because you can be sure you won't hear new renditions of SDV, LtL or DoE, by the simple facts that those songs already exist and belong to certain eras of DT's life, we're talking about 20 to 30 years ago. 
I do share the desire of wanting something that i really like from my favourite band, thing is it's almost impossible (i would actually say that the opposite would be very weird) that your, or anyone, tastes will always allign with those of the band. Most of long time fans usually stay with a band for nostalgic reason, and sometimes tend to think they like new albums and songs because of the emotional attachment to the band (i've been, and still am to a certain degree, one of those) . It's absolutely normal, like is normal to not liking a song, or more songs off an album, but that doesn't have to mean that a band is dead or need a change in line up. It's just a matter of finding ourself in the same spot, which can't always be the case. 

Talking about the song, yep, i'd really want to like it, but i don't. It just doesn't say anything to me. I really hope at least some of the other 5 songs will.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2021, 04:44:02 AM »
I'm a bit staggered by the the negative reviews here.  This song is friggin AWESOME!!!  I love everything about it, from the intro to the verses and a very catchy chorus. The guitar solos, drums, vocals, and everything else feels very inspired to me. I'm even more excited for the album now!   :hat   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2021, 05:04:35 AM »
I wonder when the music video will be released. From the trailer it looked good!

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2021, 05:17:27 AM »
It’s a decent track… I’m happy with it.  Some fun stuff in the middle and the petrucci solo is pretty sweet.

The vocal melodies aren’t going to be what they used to be sadly but it’s a fun track. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Invisible Monsters Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2021, 05:20:46 AM »
If this album ends up sounding a little uninspired then my guess about JP spreading himself too thin across 4 albums over 2 years may ring true.

Disappointing if it's not the "career highlight" level album that i've seen it touted as.

:)

This has been mostly one guy. We have no way of knowing who's actually heard what  :lol

Tough crowd as expected. I have been listening to the album since mid August and I thoroughly love it. Its a kick ass DT album! If the band had to get an OK before they included songs on an album from here, there may ever release another one. 15th album and still going strong! What does everyone want from them?

My thoughts as well. I’ve learned to take anything I read on here with a grain of salt. I realize everyone has their own tastes and opinions, but there are more negative comments on this forum than on Facebook. And that’s sad!

You guys almost sound apologetic!    People either like things or they don't.  Personally, I've had too many bad experiences with pre-releases that I haven't even listened to either song yet (and won't). That's not a reflection of the band or the music, just that I want to experience the album in a way that I can make a fair comparison to other DT records and other contemporary releases.  That is to say, I want to hear it on CD, in my car.  Personally, I think some of the proclamations being made here are premature based on less than 24 horus listening to something on your computer, but that's me.   

But at the end of the day, people are going to like or not, and questions like "what do you expect?" don't change that.  What do I "expect"?I don't know that I "expect" anything, other than five guys doing something to the best of their abilities given the circumstances of 2021, but regardless; whether they meet MY expectations or not is up to ME. 

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2021, 05:21:28 AM »
I wonder when the music video will be released. From the trailer it looked good!

It premieres on Youtube at 8:45 AM EDT (or 14:45 CEST)
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2021, 05:21:48 AM »
Maybe Dream Theater just doesn't excite me anymore, but they do sound bored. They don't even experiment with song structure anymore or even try anything even slightly outside the box. HIRE A PRODUCER THAT WILL PUSH YOU IN NEW DIRECTIONS!

I mean, they definitely don't need to reinvent the wheel, but what happened to the progressive in progressive metal. It's gone. They are in a rut, imo.

Thank you!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2021, 05:26:07 AM »
A quick listen this morning, though I'll hit it a couple more times later this morning.

I always say of lead singles that if this is my favorite song on the album, I won't be happy. It applies here. But I already know it won't be my favorite song because I've heard The Alien.

I don't find it boring at all. A bit standard but that's ok. James is still held back. I don't know why. Is it the production, the direction, the concern of him singing live. He is the difference maker. Use him to your advantage on these albums.

The guitar solo is nice and I love the little bit at 4:23.

There's a vocal line right before the chorus that is definitely reminiscent of Strange Deja Vu.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2021, 05:26:38 AM »

But I notice you didn't argue with the concept that they are out of ideas!   :) :) :)

(As the resident Radiohead hater, I couldn't resist!)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2021, 05:28:18 AM »
It was obvious Radiohead were out of ideas when Amnesiac came out.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2021, 05:28:53 AM »
Man....I hope they start concentrating on the vocal melodies....just not a fan of them on these two songs. It is like they are an afterthough. Nothing wrong with Labrie's vocals...the melodies just don't catch me at all (the way they are written)

I like the start of the song until around 1:22...but then it ends up sounding like a B-Side

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2021, 05:30:43 AM »
I just listened to it again hoping for some improvement.  Nope, this is lame, what a fucking disappointment.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.