Author Topic: Invisible Monster Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !  (Read 33890 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Invisible Monster Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2021, 05:31:36 AM »
Man....I hope they start concentrating on the vocal melodies....just not a fan of them on these two songs. It is like they are an afterthough. Nothing wrong with Labrie's vocals...the melodies just don't catch me at all (the way they are written)

I like the start of the song...but then it ends up sounding like a B-Side

I agree, the melodies on both songs are quite terrible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2021, 05:46:36 AM »
Man....I hope they start concentrating on the vocal melodies....just not a fan of them on these two songs. It is like they are an afterthough. Nothing wrong with Labrie's vocals...the melodies just don't catch me at all (the way they are written)

If I’m not mistaken both songs are JLB songs so it’s no surprise to me that the vocal melodies are not spectacular.  He’s written the odd decent vocal melody but most of his DT songs are not my favourite.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2021, 05:47:50 AM »
The Alien is a James song, Invisible Monster is a John song.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2021, 05:53:13 AM »

If I’m not mistaken both songs are JLB songs so it’s no surprise to me that the vocal melodies are not spectacular.  He’s written the odd decent vocal melody but most of his DT songs are not my favourite.

Well, Medicate, At Wit's End, and Disappear have good vocal melodies, much more than decent. This song is also a Petrucci track, which I guessed from the lyrics.

Offline DTA

« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2021, 06:12:09 AM »
I think I like it, but DT really has no bad songs imo so I pretty much like it all. However, I don't see myself loving it and that is what makes an album stick around for me longer than a few weeks after its release. I have a feeling I'll play this album a ton after its released, but then go to other things and pull this one out sporadically.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2021, 06:13:46 AM »
Maybe Dream Theater just doesn't excite me anymore, but they do sound bored. They don't even experiment with song structure anymore or even try anything even slightly outside the box. HIRE A PRODUCER THAT WILL PUSH YOU IN NEW DIRECTIONS!

I mean, they definitely don't need to reinvent the wheel, but what happened to the progressive in progressive metal. It's gone. They are in a rut, imo.

Thank you!!

In any case, both of you have been very vocal about your disliking DT for some years now. This doesn't come as a surprise. And it's not meant as a criticism, that's just the way it is. As someone else said, maybe you don't like DT anymore,and that's just fine.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2021, 06:14:48 AM »
Just had my first few full listens. It wasn't as much of a disaster as I had feared and I think I need to give it a few more spins. For sure, this isn't a homerun, but I don't think it's horrible either. I get the criticism that it sounds underwhelming and to an extent it does. The 1:45 minutes after the guitar solo just meanders. To an extent the song as a whole feels like it goes nowhere, even though that isn't totally true-- the sections do build into the first chorus. I can't put my finger on why the song sounds like this but I think maybe that is what is causing some other listeners to think the band sounds bored, tired etc.

As with the Alien, which is obviously a totally different song, the vocal melody isn't strong. It's actually sorta weak. The chorus is a bit of an eyebrow-raiser. This is probably my biggest issue with the tune. I don't want to listen to this melody or chorus.

On a positive note, the production was great. I could clearly hear the drums and bass. JP's guitar technique hasn't shifted a bit, which is a super impressive feat given how long he's been doing this, and his tone is great (duh). Mangini sounds awesome too. Lastly, the band isn't doing anything new here, but the song is certainly different in mood from other Mangini era songs. I think that is a good thing.

Offline rab7

« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2021, 06:23:55 AM »
I saw a comment a few pages ago saying "It feels like it builds up to something but never gets there".

This is why singles aren't always a great idea, even though I know it's mandatory to appease the record label.

I tend to judge albums as a whole, and I feel like whatever it's "building up to" is Sleeping Giant.

Not that there will be repeated themes a la Far From Heaven/Breaking All Illusions, but that the relative softness of this song will be answered by a more heavy Sleeping Giant the next.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2021, 06:26:36 AM »
Maybe Dream Theater just doesn't excite me anymore, but they do sound bored. They don't even experiment with song structure anymore or even try anything even slightly outside the box. HIRE A PRODUCER THAT WILL PUSH YOU IN NEW DIRECTIONS!

I mean, they definitely don't need to reinvent the wheel, but what happened to the progressive in progressive metal. It's gone. They are in a rut, imo.

Thank you!!

In any case, both of you have been very vocal about your disliking DT for some years now. This doesn't come as a surprise. And it's not meant as a criticism, that's just the way it is. As someone else said, maybe you don't like DT anymore,and that's just fine.

B.Lee

I have?  Must have missed that.

I'm not a fan of ADTOE or TA, but DT12 is top 5 DT and I really loved D/T.  Not quite sure what you're basing that assessment on.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2021, 06:30:16 AM »
A similar story for me. I was totally underwhelmed after the first listen, but it has grown on me a little. Good song but not great.

I like "the serpent inside" section, and there's a hint of a melody, but then it doesn't really build up to a chorus. I'm just dying for a big old-fashioned catchy singalong chorus.

I have to say, JP's playing in the solo is fantastic - pinpoint laser accuracy. The overall sound/mix is excellent, everything seems well balanced.

We'll see where it sits in the overall flow of the album..

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2021, 06:32:04 AM »
Listened to the song again this morning, liked it better than yesterday but still don't dig it much. The vocals grew on me though, James sounds really cool!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2021, 06:57:51 AM »
This song caught off guard... after all descriptions saying that the album is very energetic and relentless almost all the time, I didn't expect a song like this. But this isn't the problem to me. I didn't remember any other DT single that left me so... indifferent, maybe? And I've heard it 3 or 4 times, really strange. By the way, I totally LOVED The Alien.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2021, 07:04:16 AM »
I think it's a good song, one that I will probably listen when I'm in the mood to listen the album in full v. going back to it. For a 6 minute songs it feels short, which is a good thing.

I think the highlight for me is JP solo: it never ceases to amaze me how melodic his solos are while being super technical. I don't mind the lack of a keyboard solo - I think JR shines in the background. I normally get bored of songs that over-rely on the chorus but this one is quite catchy and JLB nails it. The second verse flows a bit weird though. Let's see with time.

The intro/break before the solo reminded me of of PMU - like a hint of it rather than a copy of it. Given recent interviews I like this inspiration from their previous work approach. I take that over the 8V-SC "let's do a song that sounds like Muse" approach.

Both this and The Alien have done what they needed to do: I can't wait to listen to the full album in a month!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2021, 07:05:15 AM »
It was obvious Radiohead were out of ideas when Amnesiac came out.

Radiohead were out of ideas when they named the band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2021, 07:06:59 AM »

Thank you!!

B.Lee

We love DT, but we hold them to a higher standard than some run-of-the-mill band.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2021, 07:07:05 AM »
You fans really crack me up.

What's so boring, disappointing, about the song that did not meet your expectations?

I just listened to it again hoping for some improvement.  Nope, this is lame, what a fucking disappointment.

"Yes, Mr. Sherman, everything stinks."

Here's one question....Why do you find it to be lame and a disappointment? What makes something "lame" and "disappointing"?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline hebaojr

« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2021, 07:07:31 AM »
Well... the song itself is not bad.... but the melodies certain are.
DT REALLY needs to focus on vocal melodies.
That's what really makes a song be good or bad.... and that's the reason we are discussing it.... THEY NEED TO FIX IT!!!!
As example, the new Iron Maiden album: Its the same notes, same strutures, but the vocal melodies makes the album shine.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2021, 07:11:15 AM »

What's so boring, disappointing, about the song that did not meet your expectations?

I just listened to it again hoping for some improvement.  Nope, this is lame, what a fucking disappointment.

Here's one question....Why do you find it to be lame and a disappointment? What makes something "lame" and "disappointing"?

I mentioned my thoughts on why I feel the way I do earlier mate.  Seems others somewhat agree.  I guess to you we should just accept and fawn over whatever the band do because it's DT? 

You fans crack me up too.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2021, 07:11:55 AM »
The video is up on YouTube!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2021, 07:13:21 AM »

Well, Medicate, At Wit's End, and Disappear have good vocal melodies, much more than decent. This song is also a Petrucci track, which I guessed from the lyrics.

They’re hardly super catchy though, at least not to me anyway, he’s written some nice ballady type stuff but not single type material imo.

Anyway it seems like Petrucci wrote this one so I was wrong anyway.  Just saw James was credited as a writer on Apple Music and he doesn’t usually get credited anymore unless he’s written the lyrics.  The second half of the chorus is very similar to the very end of One Last Time too so I assumed it was JLB, I keep expecting to hear “His words I cannot hear” at the end of the chorus.

I’m enjoying the song and liked The Alien as well, just not totally blown away melodically by either of them.  I’m pleased it’s not a million miles an hour as well.  Was starting to get concerned with some people talking about it being relentless that every song would be in the same vein as The Alien.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2021, 07:18:55 AM »
That's what really makes a song be good or bad.... and that's the reason we are discussing it.... THEY NEED TO FIX IT!!!!
As example, the new Iron Maiden album: Its the same notes, same strutures, but the vocal melodies makes the album shine.

The vocal melodies are fine. Why do they need to focus on melodies to fit your model of what Dream Theater vocals should be?

JLB can not sing high notes that well anymore live and I feel they took that into account when making the vocal melodies for the song.

Also, you have to incorporate the lyrics and words into the singing style JLB is using. The song is titled "Invisible Monster" and it's like his voice being not high and loud and more lower and subdued makes it sound like he is the Invisible Monster under the bed.

I mentioned my thoughts on why I feel the way I do earlier mate.  Seems others somewhat agree.  I guess to you we should just accept and fawn over whatever the band do because it's DT? 

You fans crack me up too.

It does get repetitive though when no one explains why they chose to use those words to describe the song.

But I do not know what people are expecting and what they expect from Dream Theater. That's why I find fans of anything hilarious because they tend to feel forsaken if whatever they're fans of does something totally different from their expectations or doesn't meet the high standards of those expectations.

It's fascinating, how fans can do this.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2021, 07:23:58 AM »
Upon first listen I dug most of the song. I find myself thinking "This part sounds just like ______" quite often though, and I find that distracting. I'll get over it in time.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2021, 07:27:46 AM »
First impressions…..blah.

About a safe a song as DT has put out. I hear a vocal melody I’ve heard more than a few times throughout the years which is disappointing. Not much piqued my interest.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2021, 07:28:13 AM »
The main instrumental melody has a Sacrificed Sons vibe, but more energetic... I also get a LTE's Another Dimension vibe in some parts.

Love the middle section around 2:24 - 3:05 and the harpischord sounds during the solo ROCKSSS

Great song!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2021, 07:29:56 AM »
Sonically sounded great.....love the mix and sound of the first two songs. As far as the 'song' goes.....I was pretty bored with it really quick. I won't even say DT paint by numbers because I don't even think it got to that level. Curious as to why this song would have been chosen as a single to get people hyped for the album, but whatever. It may get 'better' over a few more listens but it's a big yawner for me right now.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2021, 07:31:05 AM »
I mentioned earlier that my typical reaction to lead singles is that if it is my favorite song on the album, then I'm not going to be happy.
But with Invisible Monster, I'll say the opposite. If this is the worst song on the album, then I will be thrilled.

I'll take this over three tracks on DoT already.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2021, 07:31:25 AM »
On a scale of 1-10, Invisible Monster is a 5. I've listened to it 4 times.

I've been a fan since Awake. You can always count on the musicianship of DT to be on point so no problems there. In fact, Mangini really seems to shine on these first 2 songs released.

However, the song just doesn't do it for me. It doesn't grab me. It's like "meh, that's good enough" and I never expected this from DT. Vocals seem uninspired and the melody is weak. If this is the radio-friendly song from the album, then so be it. To me, it feels forced. I'm curious to know in what order this song was written. It wouldn't surprise me if it was the last one written and it was thrown in there for potential commercial consumption. It's not a good song to sell DT to the masses. It's an automatic skip if I'm listening through the new album.

I like The Alien a little better but it sounds like a bunch of ideas thrown in a blender then they come back to the original theme at the end of the song.

So for me, the first 2 releases don't get me excited for the rest of the album.

I don't like being critical of DT because they are my favorite band. However, the reality is not living up to the expectation that's been hyped for this coming release.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2021, 07:34:23 AM »
I guess I spoke too soon when I complained that you never see DT in any DT videos   :-)   Cool video and song.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2021, 07:36:30 AM »
. If this is the radio-friendly song from the album, then so be it.

Why, at this point, would they try to make something "radio friendly?"   They are not getting any radio airplay.   Plus, this song isn't remotely "radio friendly."

I like it.  Decent song.  Nice video.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2021, 07:36:53 AM »
Sonically sounded great.....love the mix and sound of the first two songs. As far as the 'song' goes.....I was pretty bored with it really quick. I won't even say DT paint by numbers because I don't even think it got to that level. Curious as to why this song would have been chosen as a single to get people hyped for the album, but whatever. It may get 'better' over a few more listens but it's a big yawner for me right now.

That's about where I'm at. It's definitely a song though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2021, 07:39:09 AM »
The only problem for me is I think this should have been the first single.  As that, along the lines of OtBoA, Enemy Inside, Untethered Angel, it would have been fine and The Alien as the second single would seem like we were getting into the meat of it a little more.  I like it but it's "first single" to me from a creative standpoint.

Online lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2021, 07:42:04 AM »
The only problem for me is I think this should have been the first single.  As that, along the lines of OtBoA, Enemy Inside, Untethered Angel, it would have been fine and The Alien as the second single would seem like we were getting into the meat of it a little more.  I like it but it's "first single" to be from a creative standpoint.

The impact created by dropping a bomb like The Alien first is much bigger... Draws much more attention.

Offline hebaojr

« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2021, 07:43:59 AM »

The vocal melodies are fine. Why do they need to focus on melodies to fit your model of what Dream Theater vocals should be?

JLB can not sing high notes that well anymore live and I feel they took that into account when making the vocal melodies for the song.

Also, you have to incorporate the lyrics and words into the singing style JLB is using. The song is titled "Invisible Monster" and it's like his voice being not high and loud and more lower and subdued makes it sound like he is the Invisible Monster under the bed.

the vocal melody is almost flat in the core note, there's no variation or modulation.....thats the reason a lot of people are saying the the song is boring....
Melody is not a matter of hight notes, but move across the chords, giving "color" to the song. And its all blank, no life....
My model to compare is DT itself.... listen how the vocal melodies were build and how it is now....  and said, the reason is sooooo boring is because the song has no life, the melodies does not give any feelings....

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2021, 07:45:33 AM »
The only problem for me is I think this should have been the first single.  As that, along the lines of OtBoA, Enemy Inside, Untethered Angel, it would have been fine and The Alien as the second single would seem like we were getting into the meat of it a little more.  I like it but it's "first single" to be from a creative standpoint.

I don't know about this - IM reminded more of Paralized than OtBoA. It's a good song for a single but I don't think this is what you want as the first taste of new music in 2 years. It's a fun song but the Alien got me much more hyped, which is what a single should do (particularly the first one)

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2021, 07:48:33 AM »

I don't know about this - IM reminded more of Paralized than OtBoA. It's a good song for a single but I don't think this is what you want as the first taste of new music in 2 years. It's a fun song but the Alien got me much more hyped, which is what a single should do (particularly the first one)
Sure - me too.  But first singles tend to be safe.  Which IM is.  IM just sounds like a safe single to me, like the other lead singles.  The Alien is more interesting just like, say, Outcry is more interesting than OtBoA.