Author Topic: Your favorite 20+ minute epic?  (Read 6099 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Your favorite 20+ minute epic?
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2021, 11:05:45 PM »
I still say that the entire Cygnus X-1 story is a single piece split into two parts, thus qualifying it as a 28 1/2 minute epic, and thus beating out 2112 as Rush’s greatest epic.

…but it is still 2nd place to Supper’s Ready.  ;D
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2021, 11:09:21 PM »
Supper’s Ready…IMO…is the greatest piece of music ever recorded by anyone…ever

This almost convinces me to check it out.  Never heard it.

IIRC, you’re a real “metal guy” (I mean that as a compliment LOL) so it may not be quite heavy enough. But I will tell you this…if you feel like you’ve heard bits of it here and there, just remember that THIS was the original template that nearly every 20 minute epic borrowed from.

Yeah, that's me alright mate.  I struggle a little at times outside the metal genre but still keen to give most things a go.  I'll spin it tonight and report back.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2021, 11:18:46 PM »

IIRC, you’re a real “metal guy” (I mean that as a compliment LOL) so it may not be quite heavy enough. But I will tell you this…if you feel like you’ve heard bits of it here and there, just remember that THIS was the original template that nearly every 20 minute epic borrowed from.

Yeah, that's me alright mate.  I struggle a little at times outside the metal genre but still keen to give most things a go.  I'll spin it tonight and report back.

The ending portion (Apocalypse in 9/8) is very dark, and as heavy as anything could be in 1971. I think you’ll at least be happy with that part.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2021, 06:04:49 AM »
Ya know, it comes up just 45 seconds short, but I still feel like IQ’s Without Walls deserves an honorable mention.

IQ - Without Walls
https://youtu.be/SGPd5tm5IC4

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2021, 06:22:24 AM »
Looking through my music I only have a few songs that hit the 20 minutes mark:

Pink Floyd - Echoes
Dream Theater Octavarium
Rush - 2112

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2021, 06:36:18 AM »
Octavarium
2112  (only because Hemispheres isn't two minutes longer)
The Odyssey

I have a gut feeling that "A View From The Top Of The World" will easily make this list.   💪
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2021, 06:45:25 AM »
The Mars Volta - Cassandra Gemini
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2021, 06:54:26 AM »
Yes- Rituals
IQ- Narrow Margin
Frost*- Milliontown
Haken- Visions (should be crystallized but they couldn't drag it out a few more seconds)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2021, 07:02:56 AM »

I disagree, I think that distinction goes to Close To The Edge (which was released before Foxtrot)

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2021, 07:06:52 AM »
The Mars Volta - Cassandra Gemini

This. Cassandra Gemini One of my all time favorite songs/epics.

TA: Stranger in Your Soul has to be up there too.
LTE: 3 minutes Warning: a jam more than an epic, but IMO the best thing LTE ever played together.
Frost*: Milliontown
Haken: Vision (though this one without listening to the album loses a bit of its essence for me)
SB: The Great Nothing
PF: Echoes

I can probably add most NM epics in that list too  :biggrin:

Online HOF

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2021, 07:20:52 AM »
Every Transatlantic vote so far has gone to Stranger in Your Soul, but I think my choice is All of the Above.

The other contenders in my top three are probably Octavarium and The Neal Morse Band - Alive Again.

I actually went with Duel With the Devil over both, but I think I’d rank them Duel, AOTA, then Stranger. All are at the top of the class though!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2021, 07:38:07 AM »

I disagree, I think that distinction goes to Close To The Edge (which was released before Foxtrot)

I had to double check because I could’ve sworn Foxtrot was released in 71, but I’m wrong. Still, only about three weeks separate them. CTTE was Sep 13th and Foxtrot was Oct 6th. From a writing standpoint, that’s practically a dead heat.

Online HOF

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2021, 07:51:36 AM »

I had to double check because I could’ve sworn Foxtrot was released in 71, but I’m wrong. Still, only about three weeks separate them. CTTE was Sep 13th and Foxtrot was Oct 6th. From a writing standpoint, that’s practically a dead heat.

Also, I would agree that more of the huge epics follow the format of Foxtrot than Close to the Edge, even if CTTE came out first.

Online billboy73

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2021, 07:55:47 AM »
I'll add, even though not technically, on the album they broke it up, but live on the tour they did it in sequence, Genesis - The Duke Suite.  I like it better than Suppers Ready.  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2021, 09:01:40 AM »
ELP's Tarkus came out before Close to the Edge and Supper's Ready, so I would give that the nod for establishing the template that prog bands to this day follow.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2021, 09:04:59 AM »
Either Close To The Edge or Supper's Ready. Probably CTTE.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online HOF

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2021, 09:27:33 AM »
Three more that need to be mentioned:

Moon Safari - The Other Half of the Sky and Lover's End Pt. III

Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard (would be higher but the ending always felt like it needs something else)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2021, 10:01:39 AM »
ELP's Tarkus came out before Close to the Edge and Supper's Ready, so I would give that the nod for establishing the template that prog bands to this day follow.

Yup, and a few months after Tarkus, Pictures at an Exhibition followed roughly the same template, but over (most of) both sides of the album.

Either Close To The Edge or Supper's Ready. Probably CTTE.

Except that CTTE is less than 20 minutes.

As for Supper's Ready, it's never grabbed me.  The Apocalypse section is good, but the high points are too few and far between.  I was hoping that, when Doug Helvering did his reaction/analysis of Supper, I'd find something more to latch onto, but that didn't happen.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2021, 10:44:20 AM »
Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts I through IX

Alternates:
Supper's Ready
Octavarium
Alive Again
Echoes
Tarkus
Abbey Road Medley

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2021, 11:22:07 AM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 12:56:48 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2021, 11:38:43 AM »

Alternates:
Supper's Ready
Octavarium
Alive Again
Echoes
Tarkus
Abbey Road Medley

That last one is only about 16:20, according to the track times listed on Wikipedia.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2021, 11:43:46 AM »
I've tried a couple times to listen to Supper's Ready. I haven't been able to finish it.

I know I will be spending most of the day tomorrow tiling a shower by myself. I will try to remember to give it a spin while I am working. (I don't often get to do jobs like this solo, so it's nice to be able to play whatever I want instead of listening to whatever the project lead wants to listen to).

It’s a slow starter. It’s actually the middle (Willow Farm) and end (Apocalypse in 9/8) sections that make the song.

I actually quite enjoyed that.  Reminded me a lot of 8VM in song structure and the buildup.  I'll need another listen but the last few minutes was pretty special.  Definitely not my thing normally but I liked it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2021, 11:44:13 AM »
Thick as a Brick

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2021, 12:09:04 PM »

Alternates:
Supper's Ready
Octavarium
Alive Again
Echoes
Tarkus
Abbey Road Medley

That last one is only about 16:20, according to the track times listed on Wikipedia.

-Marc.

Even with Her Majesty??  :) :) :)

(For those that don't know, "Her Majesty" is a 0:23 second snippet tacked on the end; there is debate if it's part of the medley or not.)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2021, 12:30:16 PM »
I've tried a couple times to listen to Supper's Ready. I haven't been able to finish it.

I know I will be spending most of the day tomorrow tiling a shower by myself. I will try to remember to give it a spin while I am working. (I don't often get to do jobs like this solo, so it's nice to be able to play whatever I want instead of listening to whatever the project lead wants to listen to).

It’s a slow starter. It’s actually the middle (Willow Farm) and end (Apocalypse in 9/8) sections that make the song.

I actually quite enjoyed that.  Reminded me a lot of 8VM in song structure and the buildup.  I'll need another listen but the last few minutes was pretty special.  Definitely not my thing normally but I liked it.

That’s awesome! :metal :metal :metal

Offline darkshade

« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2021, 12:30:27 PM »

True, I was just noting which got released first, but I think CttE is the template for a lot of epics out there, whereas SR is popular but I don't hear a whole lot of prog bands trying to make SR2, especially symphonic prog bands. Transatlantic's and The Flower Kings' epics alone are like second and third comings of CttE (IMO) but obviously with their own flair and distinct styles.

Octavarium has a big SR feel in the Someone Like Him section, but the overall piece (to me) moves more like a Yes epic, aside from the Pink Floydian intro.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2021, 12:32:43 PM »

True, I was just noting which got released first, but I think CttE is the template for a lot of epics out there, whereas SR is popular but I don't hear a whole lot of prog bands trying to make SR2, especially symphonic prog bands. Transatlantic's and The Flower Kings' epics alone are like second and third comings of CttE (IMO) but obviously with their own flair and distinct styles.

Octavarium has a big SR feel in the Someone Like Him section, but the overall piece (to me) moves more like a Yes epic, aside from the Pink Floydian intro.

Oh they are out there. Like wolfie said, 8V bears a resemblance. And then there’s Grendal by Marillion which borders on plagiarism.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2021, 12:33:32 PM »

Yup, and a few months after Tarkus, Pictures at an Exhibition followed roughly the same template, but over (most of) both sides of the album.

and King Crimson's Lizard came out a few months before Tarkus, in December 1970.
However, I don't think those two epics (Lizard and Tarkus) were the epics later bands aspired to 're-create'. Surely later prog bands took influence (and maybe a little more) from KC, ELP, as well as Yes, Genesis, and other 70s bands, but (IMO) CttE set the bar, and few, if any, have reached it, (though some have come close)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2021, 12:35:38 PM »
Almost forgot that IQ has done an SR template more than once.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2021, 12:37:46 PM »

Oh they are out there. Like wolfie said, 8V bears a resemblance. And then there’s Grendal by Marillion which borders on plagiarism.

but only in that one section. The entire piece doesn't remind me of SR though, but it does remind me of Yes' epics.
I've heard other epics that seem to have had some influence from SR, but not for the entire piece.
Yes were (are) the masters of the epic, and as I said, I think they set the bar. I've listened to many (though not all) post-80s prog bands, and most, if not all, their epics are at least more structured like a Yes epic than Supper's Ready, which flows more like a suite, with distinct sections.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2021, 12:38:09 PM »

and King Crimson's Lizard came out a few months before Tarkus, in December 1970.
However, I don't think those two epics (Lizard and Tarkus) were the epics later bands aspired to 're-create'. Surely later prog bands took influence (and maybe a little more) from KC, ELP, as well as Yes, Genesis, and other 70s bands, but (IMO) CttE set the bar, and few, if any, have reached it, (though some have come close)

Well, Atom Heart Mother came out in October of '70, and had been played live many times before that.  And even though it's not 20 minutes, Abbey Road Medley came out in September of '69. I think all of these were influences on what came after (particularly since both Yes and Genesis were pretty heavily influenced by the Beatles.)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2021, 12:38:15 PM »
WR:  what is yours?

For something different,  I'll list 'Get Ready' by Rare Earth
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2021, 12:41:12 PM »
Almost forgot that IQ has done an SR template more than once.

I'm not familiar with a lot of IQ's music, though I've heard some of their albums. Bands like that, Marillion, Pendragon, etc.. never quite tickled my fancy.
I've always preferred the 90s bands and the TFKs, Spock's Beards of the world. Even later bands like Beardfish, Moon Safari, appealed more to me than the 80s neo-prog bands.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2021, 12:43:53 PM »

Well, Atom Heart Mother came out in October of '70, and had been played live many times before that.  And even though it's not 20 minutes, Abbey Road Medley came out in September of '69. I think all of these were influences on what came after (particularly since both Yes and Genesis were pretty heavily influenced by the Beatles.)

We can keep going back. Procol Harum's 17 minute epic In Held 'Twas In I came out in 1968.
Point was that CttE set the standard from my perspective, for constructing grand epics, not necessarily who influenced who in terms of sound and style.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2021, 01:33:51 PM »

We can keep going back. Procol Harum's 17 minute epic In Held 'Twas In I came out in 1968.
Point was that CttE set the standard from my perspective, for constructing grand epics, not necessarily who influenced who in terms of sound and style.

Octavarium references how most of these 20 Min+ Epics follow the Suppers Ready formula, by using the phrase "This story ends where it began". I love how that song references so many of these Prog Epics or Prog Classic songs and albums.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD