Author Topic: A VIEW FROM THE TOP OF THE WORLD - DTHQ Interview part 3 AVAILABLE NOW!!!  (Read 13119 times)

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
Re: A VIEW FROM THE TOP OF THE WORLD - DTHQ Interview part 1
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2021, 05:32:37 PM »
the only thing that matters is if they were excited and motivated while writing and recording the album. Presumably they were but we aren't going to find out from their body language in this interview.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2021, 06:07:14 PM »
I want artists to be excited about their new stuff. People made fun of Portnoy’s hyperbolic comments about BCSL leading up to release, or if you like Iron Maiden we’ve just experienced that with a new release cycle, but I love that stuff. If you just finished up a new album, I really hope you do think it’s the best you’ve ever done and I want to see you chomping at the bit for people to hear it. Not like a another day at the office. I don’t know about the JR interview but it’s great to hear that he seemed really enthusiastic in it.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2021, 06:54:10 PM »
I want artists to be excited about their new stuff. People made fun of Portnoy’s hyperbolic comments about BCSL leading up to release, or if you like Iron Maiden we’ve just experienced that with a new release cycle, but I love that stuff. If you just finished up a new album, I really hope you do think it’s the best you’ve ever done and I want to see you chomping at the bit for people to hear it. Not like a another day at the office. I don’t know about the JR interview but it’s great to hear that he seemed really enthusiastic in it.

Jordan, JP, Mike and James all have been VERY excited about this album and have shared those feelings online and in interviews. They just don't seem too excited/comfortable at all during this one for whatever reason :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2021, 07:29:19 PM »
That’s good to know. Unfortunately stuff uploaded to the official DT a channel is going to be more likely to reach shmucks like me who clearly aren’t paying that much attention.  ;D
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2021, 08:40:34 PM »
Mark me down as someone who watched a couple minutes of that interview and then shut it off.  It was boring, and it didn't help that, as noted by others, most of the band looked like they wanted to be anywhere else but there.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2021, 08:53:00 PM »

Jordan, JP, Mike and James all have been VERY excited about this album and have shared those feelings online and in interviews. They just don't seem too excited/comfortable at all during this one for whatever reason :P

You're right. I mentioned JR, but he wasn't the only one.

JR was very excited in an interview: he was criticized.

MM in recent days was all excited about his drum line in The Alien: he was mocked and criticized.

Now they look tired and not very effusive: they are criticized.

Maybe at some point they can reach the middle ground.  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2021, 08:58:54 PM »
This isn't a shot at the band or the guys. I generally enjoy listening to them. Their DVD commentaries helped solidify them as one of my favorite bands. But I have no interest in these types of promo interviews.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline darkshade

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2021, 09:04:11 PM »
On the bright side, Myung was the star of this interview so far.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2021, 09:17:24 PM »
On the bright side, Myung was the star of this interview so far.

I'm hoping there's a song with a bass solo where he plays a bass solo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2021, 03:19:21 AM »
OMG Myung is actually human is the new OMG Myung actually speaks!!!!!11

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2021, 05:10:27 AM »
Weeks ago JR was very excited about the DT15 and people complained on it. Now they do an interview and people complain that they are not excited enough
IKR?? I wonder how long will it take for people to notice that the only person in this band whose calm unaware expression looks approachable and not bored (John, John) or secretly annoyed (Mike, James) is Jordan. It's just their faces when they're not visibly smiling or animated. They're trying to look serious and not fidget too much and remember how the interview is structured, when everybody's turn is, etc.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2021, 06:34:26 AM »
Don't you usually do several interviews in one day when you're in promo mode ?

I've heard on the Bill Burr podcast that when you are doing promotion it's usually days of back to back to back interviews that roughly ask the same string of questions so I can imagine it being exhausting.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2021, 06:41:25 AM »

I've heard on the Bill Burr podcast that when you are doing promotion it's usually days of back to back to back interviews that roughly ask the same string of questions so I can imagine it being exhausting.

I never understood these complaints from public figures in any form of entertainment, if they complain. I'm sure there's a pile of dirt and a shovel somewhere that needs digging, if they're so tired of sitting in a climate controlled room, answering questions about their art, or signing autographs...

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2021, 07:21:39 AM »

I never understood these complaints from public figures in any form of entertainment, if they complain. I'm sure there's a pile of dirt and a shovel somewhere that needs digging, if they're so tired of sitting in a climate controlled room, answering questions about their art, or signing autographs...

We don’t really know the context behind it all though, so I certainly wouldn’t be making any assumptions. And regardless of being a public entertainment figure or not, they are also human beings with families etc. I’m incredibly lucky to own my own business doing something I love, but trust me, sometimes the last place you want to be is there because you’re absolutely spent physically and mentally. No matter who you are - actor, musician, sports star or average joe - there is only so much the brain can process in one day.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2021, 07:50:56 AM »

Every job has some kind of drudgery to it.  It's common to complain about drudgery.

Press interviews are largely the drudgery for artists.  That's all.  Which is why people who do them in really interesting ways (such as Sean Evans of Hot Ones) are standouts and celebrities love doing them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2021, 07:54:51 AM »
Press interviews are largely the drudgery for artists.  That's all.  Which is why people who do them in really interesting ways (such as Sean Evans of Hot Ones) are standouts and celebrities love doing them.

I would pay to see JP or MM in a Hot Ones interview.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2021, 08:45:37 AM »

I would pay to see JP or MM in a Hot Ones interview.
Me too, but I doubt they are big enough names to get on.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2021, 09:12:48 AM »

Every job has some kind of drudgery to it.  It's common to complain about drudgery.

Not to mention repetitive. They can do hours of answering "what was the inspiration" "how was the creative process" etc. Some artists are also introverts, and if you've never done a promo shooting, trust me the camera changes you lol I did one for a work project years ago and I turned into (more of) an idiot the moment the camera started rolling and I got asked a question.

Do we know when part 2 comes out?

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2021, 11:55:17 AM »

Not to mention repetitive. They can do hours of answering "what was the inspiration" "how was the creative process" etc. Some artists are also introverts, and if you've never done a promo shooting, trust me the camera changes you lol I did one for a work project years ago and I turned into (more of) an idiot the moment the camera started rolling and I got asked a question.

Are you just dying to see the sequel to that riveting interview?  :lol

Offline rab7

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2021, 12:46:36 PM »

September 29. Part 3 October 10

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2021, 07:19:48 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: A VIEW FROM THE TOP OF THE WORLD - DTHQ Interview part 2 AVAILABLE NOW!!!
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2021, 07:47:43 AM »
JP mentions the middle section of AVFTTOTW is its own section, providing relief from the more metal section.

I hope it's not another Illumination Theory thing. The Count Of Tuscany one worked, so I hope this one does as well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LKap13

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2021, 08:11:13 AM »
Haven't been a fan of those long ambient classical music breaks

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2021, 08:16:50 AM »
Really glad to hear JM's contribution to this section of the interview.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2021, 08:20:05 AM »
Really glad to hear JM's contribution to this section of the interview.

I found it a bit wordy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rab7

« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2021, 08:20:56 AM »
looks like they saw the comments about their lack of energy in part 1 and decided to be more excited this time

As for the ballad-like section they talk about in the epic, I don't think they're going to repeat what they did in IT or TCOT. My guess is it'll be soft and melodic while still moving forward rather than ambient peacefulness

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2021, 08:23:38 AM »
JP mentions the middle section of AVFTTOTW is its own section, providing relief from the more metal section.

I hope it's not another Illumination Theory thing. The Count Of Tuscany one worked, so I hope this one does as well.

Thought the same. Hoping it's less Illumination Theory and more A Nightmare To Remember. Where it's a different section and not just ..oh...they're doing this...AGAIN......

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2021, 08:27:59 AM »
I hope it's not another Illumination Theory thing.

I hope it's not another Illumination Theory at all.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2021, 09:14:40 AM »
I hope it's gonna be another ITPOE pt 2 which starts as a mellow piece which evolves into madness

So happy they chose to lift that restriction which caused them to write exclusively shorter songs. I hope they don't ever decide to reincorporate it
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2021, 09:42:23 AM »
looks like they saw the comments about their lack of energy in part 1 and decided to be more excited this time

As for the ballad-like section they talk about in the epic, I don't think they're going to repeat what they did in IT or TCOT. My guess is it'll be soft and melodic while still moving forward rather than ambient peacefulness

Yeah, it's much closer to what you describe than a full-on change of direction like TCOT or Illumination Theory.  Because TCOT and IT exist, it will naturally draw comparisons with those two.  But, IMO, it is much less jarring and fits the overall feel of the song much better.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2021, 09:48:16 AM »
I hope it's gonna be another ITPOE pt 2 which starts as a mellow piece which evolves into madness

So happy they chose to lift that restriction which caused them to write exclusively shorter songs. I hope they don't ever decide to reincorporate it
yeah, it seems to be their natural state writing longer pieces
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2021, 11:32:51 AM »
That was a nice second part! I always like hearing them talk about the way they approach the composition of their music and it seems like they really enjoy talking about that aspect of their music.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2021, 11:41:00 AM »

That's interesting. Is it something they said in the video?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2021, 11:42:49 AM »

That's interesting. Is it something they said in the video?
Yeah, they mentioned it, but calling it a "restriction" is a little overblown.

For Distance Over Time, they had a declared focus on having more concise writing.

For the new album, they didn't worry about it and let the compositions go where they wanted to go.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2021, 11:54:11 AM »
Regarding the 2nd verse thing: it’s one of the things I like most about DT, and one of my few complaints about a band like Metallica that NEVER vary anything between the 2 or 3 verses.