Author Topic: A VIEW FROM THE TOP OF THE WORLD - DTHQ Interview part 3 AVAILABLE NOW!!!  (Read 13068 times)

Offline rab7

Re: A VIEW FROM THE TOP OF THE WORLD - DTHQ Interview part 2 AVAILABLE NOW!!!
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2021, 06:56:52 PM »
Erwinrafael had a great comment somewhere that beautifully lays out why it's not a compositional mess

Offline darkshade

« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2021, 07:08:33 PM »
I like the ambient and orchestral sections by themselves, but I don't think they work in the context of the other sections, which I also like. On the whole, I just think it could have been re-arranged and some transitions could have been smoother.

Writing a good epic is not easy. Not every epic is going to work, I can list plenty of epics from other prog bands that I think aren't their best.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2021, 01:19:21 AM »
8VM and IT are structured differently. 8VM is structured like a < which for me does not work narratively if the concept is that we go in circles. IT is structured like a U , with the first half mirroring the second half, playing on the narrative of questions (what are you willing to live, die, kill for?) then answers (mothers for their children, etc).

Offline rab7

« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2021, 03:58:42 AM »
8VM and IT are structured differently. 8VM is structured like a < which for me does not work narratively if the concept is that we go in circles. IT is structured like a U , with the first half mirroring the second half, playing on the narrative of questions (what are you willing to live, die, kill for?) then answers (mothers for their children, etc).

While it's not a perfect mirror, the chord progression immediately after "the story ends where it began" is the same as Someone Like Him

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2021, 08:47:53 AM »

And AVFTTOTW (I think I'm going to just shorten it to "View") is structured like neither. It does have a softer section in the middle, as has been said.  But as has also been said, it isn't really like the soft sections in TCOT and IT.  So don't pay any attention to Darkshade.  He hasn't heard a note of the new album other than the singles, and he likes to troll and instigate. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline darkshade

« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2021, 09:09:23 AM »

And AVFTTOTW (I think I'm going to just shorten it to "View") is structured like neither. It does have a softer section in the middle, as has been said.  But as has also been said, it isn't really like the soft sections in TCOT and IT.  So don't pay any attention to Darkshade.  He hasn't heard a note of the new album other than the singles, and he likes to troll and instigate.

On the contrary, I haven't heard a note of the new album, including the singles; and I like to engage in lively debate on occasion.

Trolling would mean I'm looking to get a rise out of others for the sake of it, just to tick others off, with no interest, or display of knowledge, in the topic of Dream Theater and their music (or other topics on DTF) in order to get attention, cause trouble or upset someone. I have no ill-intent when I visit DTF. If others are offended or put off by my comments, that is their problem. I cannot control that. I don't bully, name call, or harass anyone here.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2021, 02:09:08 PM »
It does have a softer section in the middle, as has been said.  But as has also been said, it isn't really like the soft sections in TCOT and IT.
So more like ACoS or ItPoE or neither?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2021, 02:43:35 PM »
It does have a softer section in the middle, as has been said.  But as has also been said, it isn't really like the soft sections in TCOT and IT.
So more like ACoS or ItPoE or neither?

Yeah, more akin to those two.  I don't want to mislead expectations, but I would compare it a lot to the Beautiful Agony section in ANTR.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 03:56:31 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2021, 08:30:24 PM »
I wonder if A View (song) has a similar vibe to The Courage To Be (the song, not the album) by Lux Terminus

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2021, 07:14:08 AM »
can anyone who is in the know confirm if we are likely to get a 2nd single?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2021, 07:25:17 AM »
You mean 3rd ?

• PR permission
« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2021, 07:31:27 AM »
You mean 3rd ?

yes, 3rd  :facepalm:

havent had my coffee yet...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2021, 07:08:27 AM »
Speaking of THIRD :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOhNEdLxj24 

DTHQ INTERVIEW Part 3 .

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2021, 07:26:51 AM »
Speaking of THIRD :

DTHQ INTERVIEW Part 3 .

Thank you, now we can argue about something else  :)
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2021, 07:40:17 AM »
Speaking of THIRD :

DTHQ INTERVIEW Part 3 .

Thank you, now we can argue about something else  :)

NO.  :angry:

• PR permission
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2021, 09:07:52 AM »
Interview was ok. They spoke about the two singles which is cool. I was hoping for a track by track discussion but maybe we will get that when the album is out.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2021, 10:02:04 AM »
I'd rather a YouTube upload of them playing the entire album in their new studio.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2021, 10:34:35 AM »
Interview was ok.

I just think this interview format is not right for them. They're confident, but they're also humble, and to sit in a semicircle like this to expressly promote the new album ...well, they just look uncomfortable.
Which is weird because they are all really engaging.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2021, 10:55:21 AM »
I think Michael Scofield did well with the questions he asked  ;D ... JK! I enjoyed listening to them talk a bit about the songs. This is meant to promote there is a new album coming not more not less.

Online lightbug

Re: A VIEW FROM THE TOP OF THE WORLD - DTHQ Interview part 3 AVAILABLE NOW!!!
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2021, 04:44:38 PM »
AVFTTOTW's riff is in 23/8, i knew it

Offline darkshade

« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2021, 04:55:33 PM »
Uh oh, JP said the new album is the best sounding album of their entire discography, which would include... IaW

Offline LKap13

« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2021, 04:57:50 PM »
Uh oh, JP said the new album is the best sounding album of their entire discography, which would include... IaW

:lol

• PR permission
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2021, 05:18:59 PM »

:lol

He should know better than to set up his legion of fans for disappointment   :lol

Also pretty sure when DT12 came out he said it was their strongest to date so I guess he is used to making hyperbolic statements!

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2021, 06:20:58 PM »
I'd rather a YouTube upload of them playing the entire album in their new studio.

I'd like to see them do another forum Q&A like they did for DT12 and L@LP. I can imagine that would be a headache to arrange, though.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2021, 07:25:13 PM »
I enjoyed the part about The Alien. I like the lyrics to The Alien a lot and finding out it came from a three hour Rogan/Musk interview would definitely do it.

It's not the most notable subplot of Mangini-era DT but I like how he pushes the band into these really intense rhythmic ideas. It's a lot of the same energy as balls and chunk but with the manicness of it dialed to 11.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2021, 06:27:09 AM »
I enjoyed the part about The Alien. I like the lyrics to The Alien a lot and finding out it came from a three hour Rogan/Musk interview would definitely do it.

It's not the most notable subplot of Mangini-era DT but I like how he pushes the band into these really intense rhythmic ideas. It's a lot of the same energy as balls and chunk but with the manicness of it dialed to 11.

Yup. And that's how you stay young.

• PR permission
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2021, 04:41:19 PM »

Totally agree. It's one of the key reasons I feel his presence has elevated the band's output in the years after he joined. It just opened up a world of rhythmic possibilities and cool drum parts.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2021, 04:48:43 PM »

Which is basically 5 bars of 4/4 and then a bar of 3. OR 6 bars of 4/4 and you just drop one crotchet at the end.

OR

3 bars of 6/8 time with a bar of 5/8 on the end.... Probably easier than counting to 23.

Online lightbug

« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2021, 06:28:14 PM »

Which is basically 5 bars of 4/4 and then a bar of 3. OR 6 bars of 4/4 and you just drop one crotchet at the end.

OR

3 bars of 6/8 time with a bar of 5/8 on the end.... Probably easier than counting to 23.
I'd say the best way to count that is in 3 x 6/8 + 5/8 ... 1 headbang every 6 beats  :biggrin:

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2021, 08:34:58 PM »

OR

Then imagine one instrument doing the first and another instrument doing the second. Holy polyrhythmic madness, batman.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2021, 08:53:15 PM »

:biggrin:
OR :biggrin: :biggrin:

Then imagine one instrument doing the first and another instrument doing the second. Holy polyrhythmic madness, batman.

Well, Mike did say on one of his latest instagram videos that in that song he's playing a pattern with his hands and some sort of "helicopter" sound triggered by his electronic pedals in another time signature  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2021, 11:32:29 PM »
I've enjoyed the whole interview and it's another way to raise my expectations.

The part where they mentioned that in the past the recordlabel seems so point out who would be mixing and producing the album and the way they feel being released of that... and be able to pick Timmy and Andy... I feel familiar with that. Because - to me - that's what I think (beside the overwhelming positiveness that Mangini brings all along) is what I like so much 'bout Dream Theater nowadays. Not being forced in whichever direction and totally able to make the music they want. And very nice to see the many shoutouts on the producers by any of the members.

Also I love the part where they expelled to make an epic, they first get rid of all boundaries there could be and starting crafting until there's evolving something epic-worthy. I am so much looking forward to this track. Because even the least of the epics in my opinion (In the Presence of Enemies) is so beautiful and whenever I listen to it, I realize it's been way too long since the last time I did.

I really liked the way Petrucci mentioned the vocal power of LaBrie, "building up places where James can do a beautiful solo where he digs everyone in..." or some like that. Nice to see they still admire LaBrie for who he is and what he brings. My sympathie for LaBrie has grown skyhigh over the years, where I first didn't like his voice that much. I've learned to appreciate the beauty of it.

And last but not least, brilliant so see Myung building up an crescendo with all the layers involved, like the headspace and lifting it off by saying, "it's Rush-inspired..."

sidenote, since English isn't my familiar language, sorry if it lacks or cracks here and there...

Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2021, 03:09:45 AM »
I've enjoyed the whole interview and it's another way to raise my expectations.

The part where they mentioned that in the past the recordlabel seems so point out who would be mixing and producing the album and the way they feel being released of that... and be able to pick Timmy and Andy... I feel familiar with that. Because - to me - that's what I think (beside the overwhelming positiveness that Mangini brings all along) is what I like so much 'bout Dream Theater nowadays. Not being forced in whichever direction and totally able to make the music they want. And very nice to see the many shoutouts on the producers by any of the members.

Also I love the part where they expelled to make an epic, they first get rid of all boundaries there could be and starting crafting until there's evolving something epic-worthy. I am so much looking forward to this track. Because even the least of the epics in my opinion (In the Presence of Enemies) is so beautiful and whenever I listen to it, I realize it's been way too long since the last time I did.

I really liked the way Petrucci mentioned the vocal power of LaBrie, "building up places where James can do a beautiful solo where he digs everyone in..." or some like that. Nice to see they still admire LaBrie for who he is and what he brings. My sympathie for LaBrie has grown skyhigh over the years, where I first didn't like his voice that much. I've learned to appreciate the beauty of it.

And last but not least, brilliant so see Myung building up an crescendo with all the layers involved, like the headspace and lifting it off by saying, "it's Rush-inspired..."

sidenote, since English isn't my familiar language, sorry if it lacks or cracks here and there...
Your English is better than many native speakers, so no need to worry about that :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 09:41:43 AM by chwik »

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2021, 05:25:37 AM »

OR

I'd say the best way to count that is in 3 x 6/8 + 5/8 ... 1 headbang every 6 beats  :biggrin:

Come on! You need to think more like Dream Theater does. They're obviously going to shift time signature every bar. Something like 5/8, 6/8, 5/8, 7/8    :lol

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #139 on: October 15, 2021, 05:35:12 AM »
thank you chwik…
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...