Author Topic: A VIEW FROM THE TOP OF THE WORLD - DTHQ Interview part 3 AVAILABLE NOW!!!  (Read 13120 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 03:36:04 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: A VIEW FROM THE TOP OF THE WORLD - DTHQ Interview part 1
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 09:59:59 AM »
thanks

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 11:45:12 AM »
thanks, can’t wait, honestly…
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Kocak

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 12:11:05 PM »
This is going to be an unpopular opinion but I reckon this interview tells us nothing about the album itself. I do know that it is only part 1, I don't expect them to dissect the album, but, more effort could have gone into the questions.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 12:16:38 PM »
This is going to be an unpopular opinion but I reckon this interview tells us nothing about the album itself. I do know that it is only part 1, I don't expect them to dissect the album, but, more effort could have gone into the questions.

I think it's actually going to be a very popular opinion lol. The interview tells us nothing new about the album: some of the band members were already working on other projects at the same time when DT15 was in progress. I was hoping for some vague discussion of each of the title tracks, at least. Oh well.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 01:19:41 PM »

Same here  :lol

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 01:54:57 PM »
I also think these are not meant for hardcore fans who basically knew about the album since they started recording.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 01:57:41 PM »
I think the questions were actually quite good.  Since we obviously are not going to get too many substantive details about the music itself, questions about the process are pretty great.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 03:06:20 PM »
Oh wow. They look so alive and hyped for the album. No wonder James wore this t-shirt. I can get the excitement.

In all seriousness, good to hear they re-visit ACOS and SFAM.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 11:21:39 PM »
Obvious question to which I suspect will be an obvious answer: does this video contain any music from the album (or single)?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 02:23:38 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 12:04:40 AM »
Most of them, especially MM, are struggling not to yawn, can't wait to see the other parts to see if one goes asleep :D
I hope there is some info somewhere in the 4 parts too.
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 12:11:07 AM »
Obvious question with what I suspect is an obvious answer: does this video contain any music from the album (or single)?
Just little bits of The Alien at the beginning and end..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2021, 12:54:28 AM »
Probably rights. Second single hasn't come out yet, and with 5 weeks until release we're not out of the album review embargo cycle yet.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2021, 01:01:09 AM »
Pretty uninteresting interview to be honest. I'm not getting hyped by them revisiting older material, but i can understand the viewpoint of getting in touch with what made certain songs stand out and pass the test of time.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2021, 02:24:28 AM »
Obvious question with what I suspect is an obvious answer: does this video contain any music from the album (or single)?

Thank you!

Coupled with the interview apparently not being that interesting, this is reason enough to skip it :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2021, 03:11:56 AM »
You could just mute it until they start talking and then stop it when they finish talking.  There is no music for the entirety of the actual interview, just an intro and outro which has a tiny bit of The Alien.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2021, 04:47:45 AM »

Thank you!

Coupled with the interview apparently not being that interesting, this is reason enough to skip it :biggrin:
Good call!   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2021, 05:08:47 AM »
I think the questions were actually quite good.  Since we obviously are not going to get too many substantive details about the music itself, questions about the process are pretty great.

I'm into production so i'd be happier with 60 minutes of the technical side of recording the album ;D  Talking about the music means nothing until you hear it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2021, 05:41:16 AM »
Holy hell, James looks less than impressed being there.  :lol

I'm not all that hyped for the album truthfully, and that video did nothing to improve that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2021, 06:35:39 AM »
They all seemed like they didn't want to be there, except Mangini. JP always comes off cool and professional, but JLB with his arms crossed sinking into his chair, then seemed almost annoyed he had to answer a question.. was strange. Rudess seemed mostly uninterested as well.

Video also shows Myung is beginning to age, he now looks like he's over 30 in human years.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2021, 06:45:53 AM »
Don't you usually do several interviews in one day when you're in promo mode ?

That guy might have been the final interviewer that day. It's possible.

Plus interviewers tend to all ask the same Questions - even if they know the answer.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2021, 06:50:17 AM »
This is also just part 1. Less than 10 minutes of a possibly 30 minute interview or longer.

I'm curious as to why release them in parts instead of the whole interview at once.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2021, 06:58:01 AM »
That's standard practice.

To make people wait ?

To get more combined YouTube plays ?

What's annoying is when they don't release them with a specific schedule.. Like this one came out yesterday ( Wednesday ) the next part might be Friday or two weeks from tomorrow.

That's a good and bad thing with shows you love like Half in The Bag. It's always a surprise when one shows up - but then it could be 5 weeks til the next one or 5 days.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2021, 07:06:43 AM »

I'm not all that hyped for the album truthfully, and that video did nothing to improve that.

Why's that? Seems like a bunch of people on here are touting it as "epic" and a fan pleaser

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2021, 07:35:10 AM »
But they just did an interview in which they looked a bit tired. Conclusion = album SUX

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2021, 09:07:54 AM »
but JLB with his arms crossed sinking into his chair, then seemed almost annoyed he had to answer a question.. was strange.

Don't know 'bout this. To me, he's gaining weight till you can call him huge. Crossing arms over that huge belly is probably the only fysical pleasant way for him to sit next to each other. Portnoy was - back in the days - the only one really enjoying interviews / blogs and stuff. These guys always looks uncomfortable to me, except when they play.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Online Trav86

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2021, 10:16:11 AM »
In every interview James usually looks like he would rather be anywhere else. I don’t blame him, really.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2021, 10:58:52 AM »
Poor Mike, even JM got to speak more than him.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2021, 01:45:58 PM »

Why's that? Seems like a bunch of people on here are touting it as "epic" and a fan pleaser

Not sure.  Didn't like The Alien much at all.  I'll still purchase on the day of release.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2021, 03:44:34 PM »
But they just did an interview in which they looked a bit tired. Conclusion = album SUX

:lol  :lol

99% of interviewers suck. The vast majority of people on this board would actually ask interesting questions.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2021, 03:47:51 PM »

:lol  :lol

99% of interviewers suck. The vast majority of people on this board would actually ask interesting questions.

Bosk, we need a DTF interview session!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2021, 03:51:55 PM »
Ooh Ooh I can ask Mangini what's his favourite way to play a semibreve rest !

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2021, 04:27:39 PM »
Poor Mike, even JM got to speak more than him.

Yeah, I noticed that too.  Hopefully "part 1" means there will be a part 2 and MM will get to shed some light on his drumming process.  The album title question didn't surprise me at all, but JP's answer was baffling.  They had a bunch of titles to choose from and they all agreed on that one?  He also mentioned not being too unoriginal?  In my opinion, the album cover and title seem to be pretty unoriginal.  Not to mention the acronym is almost as long as the title itself. :lolpalm:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2021, 04:31:33 PM »
Holy hell, James looks less than impressed being there.  :lol

Yea, I’ve seen them more enthusiastic about new music before. I remember when DT12 and The Astonishing were coming out and everyone in the band seemed really pumped about it in all the related press. This interview honestly made it seem like they made the album because they had nothing better to do during the pandemic.

I’ll still check it out and am excited for it, but I definitely agree that this wasn’t their best interview.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2021, 04:49:23 PM »
Weeks ago JR was very excited about the DT15 and people complained on it. Now they do an interview and people complain that they are not excited enough

:lolpalm:

Luckily I don't have a successful band and I don't have fans. Our relationship would be terrible, I guarantee it.

:lol