Author Topic: D’Virgilio, Morse, Jennings - "Sophomore" album out Nov 10, 2023  (Read 19517 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: Nick D’Virgilio, Neal Morse, Ross Jennings new TRIO band.
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2021, 05:08:52 PM »
Even the one-off collaboration with Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt was given a proper band name.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2021, 05:10:08 PM »
Man, Ross has a lot going on lately. Haken, his solo album, guest appearance on the Scale The Summit album, now this. Good for him! It'll be interesting to hear his voice go along with Neal's and Nick's.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2021, 05:18:49 PM »
Even the one-off collaboration with Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt was given a proper band name.

Proper?  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2021, 05:21:24 PM »
I kind of like just giving it the surname treatment. Band names are really kind of just about marketing and branding right? This is just three guys making music, they aren’t trying to be the next cool big thing. Does it even really need a name?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2021, 05:23:40 PM »
Darkshade is pissed their using a same name of a band's album no one really knows.

It's important you know.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline HOF

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2021, 05:25:22 PM »
Although it also would have been fun if they called it Three Separate Gorillas.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2021, 05:27:54 PM »
The Lead Singer Colective

That's probably taken as well.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2021, 05:34:19 PM »
I kind of like just giving it the surname treatment. Band names are really kind of just about marketing and branding right? This is just three guys making music, they aren’t trying to be the next cool big thing. Does it even really need a name?

Surname treatment is a good marketing. These are familiar names.

Furthermore, this is already traditional in prog, fusion etc.

Bozzio Levin Stevens
Levin Minnemann Rudess
Emerson Lake & Palmer
etc

Offline darkshade

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2021, 05:47:23 PM »
Darkshade is pissed their using a same name of a band's album no one really knows.

It's important you know.

I think you're taking my response harder that I am about the lack of a band name.

I was only pointing out that that title had been used before, but it doesn't bother me. Lack of band name sort of does (though I won't lose sleep over it)

Just because you never heard of Oregon, doesn't mean no one knows who they are.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 05:54:54 PM by darkshade »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2021, 05:53:29 PM »

Bozzio Levin Stevens
Levin Minnemann Rudess
Emerson Lake & Palmer
etc

I dislike those names too, and I could care less about their music (ELP has a few decent tunes, but that's it for me) because those bands are one of those bands where it sounds good on paper, but the results are less than desired, to my tastes. It's like the lack of a creative band name = lack of creative music. Then you have a band like Vital Tech Tones, which is another super group that came up with a more creative name for themselves. Not so coincidentally, the music they made is way more interesting.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2021, 06:01:38 PM »

Bozzio Levin Stevens
Levin Minnemann Rudess
Emerson Lake & Palmer
etc

I dislike those names too, and I could care less about their music (ELP has a few decent tunes, but that's it for me) because those bands are one of those bands where it sounds good on paper, but the results are less than desired, to my tastes. It's like the lack of a creative band name = lack of creative music. Then you have a band like Vital Tech Tones, which is another super group that came up with a more creative name for themselves. Not so coincidentally, the music they made is way more interesting.

OK

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2021, 06:09:01 PM »

Bozzio Levin Stevens
Levin Minnemann Rudess
Emerson Lake & Palmer
etc

ELP isn't creative?  :lol

Just because you never heard of Oregon, doesn't mean no one knows who they are.

To paraphrase you - "Just because you could care less [although I think you mean couldn't care less] about ELP's music doesn't mean they're not creative."

I think it's a bit of a silly hill to die. The band name for this new project is simply easy so as to announce who is in the band. So many prog artists work with each other so much that giving each group new names could become confusing, especially if you're new to the prog scene and are only getting to know who is who. Having the band members' names in the band name makes it easy to identify who is in it, and for a group like this, whose names have pretty high recognition in the modern prog world, that's all they really need.

But as others have said, it is the music that really matters here, so hopefully we get a taste of it in the coming months. I think Neal will have his plate full with Morsefest 2021, the I&D Tour, Morsefest 2022, and the Transatlantic tour, all before Troika releases next year. The man sure knows how to keep busy (as do Nick and Ross)!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2021, 06:18:12 PM »

Bozzio Levin Stevens
Levin Minnemann Rudess
Emerson Lake & Palmer
etc

OK

It can be good marketing, I guess, if the names are big names outside of niche audiences.
Bozzio played with Zappa, Levin with Crimson, Gabriel, etc.. Rudess with DT among others, Stevens with Billy Idol, and on and on.

ELP originally had actual band names in mind, like Triton, Triumvirate, and Seahorse, but they went with ELP eventually, in part to take the focus off of Keith Emerson, who was the most well known of the three at the time of their formation, and to avoid being compared to The Nice (Keith's old band)

No one knows Neal, Nick, or Ross outside of a few specific online forums like this. The above mentioned musicians are quite well known around the world, in and out of prog circles.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2021, 06:20:12 PM »

Bozzio Levin Stevens
Levin Minnemann Rudess
Emerson Lake & Palmer
etc

Love Beach was a pretty creative way to kill the band.  ;)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2021, 06:22:22 PM »
I think you mean couldn't care less

This is not not correct.

Offline HOF

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2021, 07:16:39 PM »
Another reason to call it D’Virgilio, Morse, Jennings would be to emphasize the three vocalists aspect of it. I doubt this is something any of them intend to operate as a band. Just three guys getting together to make an album, which is fine really.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2021, 07:28:23 PM »
Jeez, I didn't see this thread until just now and it's already one of the dumbest of the year.  :lol :lol

Anyway, interesting project.  Should be a bit different from the usual Neal material.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2021, 07:52:01 PM »
Jeez, I didn't see this thread until just now and it's already one of the dumbest of the year.  :lol :lol

Anyway, interesting project.  Should be a bit different from the usual Neal material.

I'm sorry that having an opinion and sharing it in a thread makes a thread the dumbest of the year. I keep popping in and out of that covid thread, so I can't say this one trumped that one.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2021, 11:18:45 PM »
 Not the biggest fan of Jennings's voice but the three solo tracks he's released so far are absolutely brilliant and so different to anything he's done with Haken. Highly recommend giving them a go. You may be surprised.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2021, 02:56:31 AM »

I think that's uncalled for. What's so dumb about discussing this?

I'm fine with this name, but only because I find many names newer supergroups think of a little silly/weird. The Fringe, Pattern-Seeking Animals, Nova Collective, even Sons Of Apollo. My personal "highlight" is United Progressive Fraternity. If they can't come up with anything better I'd rather they just name the group after their last names.

Anyway I'm excited for this project! I was hoping NDV and NM would make some music together again. The inclusion of Ross makes this even cooler  :coolio
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2021, 02:57:52 AM »
Not the biggest fan of Jennings's voice but the three solo tracks he's released so far are absolutely brilliant and so different to anything he's done with Haken. Highly recommend giving them a go. You may be surprised.

I never listen to singles, but as a diehard Haken fan I pre-ordered his solo album without having heard a single note  :lol Looking forward to it!
any rock can be made to roll

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2021, 04:42:27 AM »

I'm fine with this name, but only because I find many names newer supergroups think of a little silly/weird. The Fringe, Pattern-Seeking Animals, Nova Collective, even Sons Of Apollo. My personal "highlight" is United Progressive Fraternity. If they can't come up with anything better I'd rather they just name the group after their last names.

Anyway I'm excited for this project! I was hoping NDV and NM would make some music together again. The inclusion of Ross makes this even cooler  :coolio

You're making our point if you think those names are stupid.  You still knew them because of the music.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2021, 05:04:38 AM »

I never listen to singles, but as a diehard Haken fan I pre-ordered his solo album without having heard a single note  :lol Looking forward to it!

They're a complete 180 from Haken but if I remember correctly, you're a fan of many different types of music. No one is more surprised than me that I'll be pre-ordering the album later this month :lol

I'm making it sound like I don't like Haken. I do. But I'm definitely more of a casual fan than I ought to be. On paper, anyway!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2021, 06:22:11 AM »

You're making our point if you think those names are stupid.  You still knew them because of the music.

Yep. And how good or band name is can often change based on how good the music is.  Can you imagine if the internet had been around in 1968 when Yes broke?  "How boring of a band name"-type comments would have taken place early and often, but because they became a good classic rock and great progressive rock band, it became a good, if not great, band name. The music is what matters the most.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2021, 06:38:05 AM »
The question that really matters is whether track 1 will be an Overture.
You and I both know the answer to that question.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2021, 06:46:00 AM »
The question that really matters is whether track 1 will be an Overture.
You and I both know the answer to that question.

:lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2021, 03:31:28 PM »
Although it also would have been fun if they called it Three Separate Gorillas.

Good call...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2021, 03:33:36 PM »

Bozzio Levin Stevens
Levin Minnemann Rudess
Emerson Lake & Palmer
etc

Love Beach was a pretty creative way to kill the band.  ;)

In The Hot Seat Seat was a lot more creative way to kill them.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2021, 03:37:03 PM »
Any more news on this? Sounding like it could be a Crosby Stills and Nash fusion on steroids.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2021, 03:55:33 PM »
Only what NM shared on his latest IC newsletter.
He shared how the thing came to be. And how he got RJ on board.

D'VIRGILIO, MORSE & JENNINGS

I've been wanting to talk to you guys about this for months and months! This is the project I've been excited for but couldn't talk about. So, now that I can talk about it, what do I want to say?

Well, I hope you guys enjoy the record... that's it.

No, of course I'm kidding. :-)

In 2020, I started writing a lot of songs (I know that's very shocking.) A lot of these songs sounded like they wanted three-part harmony – kind of like a Crosby, Stills & Nash kind of thing. I was listening to quite a bit of that sort of music, actually, and thinking, man, it'd be cool to make a record like that.

I remember in October 2020 being at Jayda and Brandon's when they were moving into their new place in Colorado Springs, and I wrote a song called "What You Leave Behind". It seemed like it'd be a nice three-part harmony/acoustic guitar song, sort of along the lines of a "Helplessly Hoping" (except not nearly as good, of course!)

I started thinking about who I could do a project like this with and of course, Nick D'Virgilio came to mind immediately. But the question was who would be the good third vocalist/artist? And I was thinking of it along the lines of who is a good singer/songwriter in their own right, so to speak, in the same way that Crosby, Stills & Nash was.

I thought a while and then I think we were doing promos for Transatlantic and Ross Jennings was involved in one of them. I think he interviewed Mike about the album, if I remember correctly. Anyway, I thought of Ross and I wondered, oh, I wonder how he'd be – what a great guy, what a great voice, I wonder if he'd be interested? I contacted him without really knowing if he was even into that kind of music, and he said very excitedly, "Yes! I love that kind of stuff. I would love to do that."

So, the first thing I did was have a conversation with him. Now we're into February or March of 2021, and long story short, Inside Out got behind it, we started sending songs to each other and everyone was a big "yes" about it. We started sharing files and recording it in March and April and I believe Jerry Guidroz did the mixes in May. His mixes sound really, really good. What happened is we submitted a certain amount of songs to each other and we picked what we thought was the best out of those. It was really cool and a good feeling from the start.

One of the funny things that happened was I was talking to Bill Hubaeur about the project and he said, "Yeah, that sounds interesting! How's the vocal blend?"

I said, "What?"

He said, "How's the vocal blend?"

I said, "Well... I haven't actually heard all three of us sing together yet."

He said, "Well, that's the whole thing"

Nick had done everything else but his vocals until the very end, so all I had heard was him singing on his songs, me singing on my songs, and Ross singing on his songs. I had heard Ross and I sing together and I had sung on Nick's, but I hadn't heard all three of us sing together until after the deal was signed, and it was pretty close to the end of the process. But I believe it was "What You Leave Behind" that I pulled up, and I immediately knew, OK, yeah we've got the magic! But it was very instinctive and I didn't really know until the end how good it was going to be!

So, that's the secret project I've been working on, off and on all through the spring. I'm definitely excited about it and wish it could come out sooner! I keep bugging the label to get things out sooner! Why do we have to wait so long?! It just bogs down the creative juices... but anyway, I won't complain. I'm very happy about it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2021, 09:13:19 AM »
First teaser!

https://youtu.be/_dPfKVcE5Dc

And here's the blurb that Neal just posted on Facebook.

Heads up everyone that pre-sale of the D’Virgilio, Morse & Jennings album, Troika, kicks off at www.radiantrecords.com on Friday December 3rd.

We will have a fantastic gold double vinyl exclusive at Radiant, so make sure you’re first out of the blocks when pre-orders begin!

Check out this teaser trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dPfKVcE5Dc&fbclid=IwAR0FWZSpKbQbbLQE4WZ-OCDZHvlzN-BxY4u7hp-t2BMAbFYuRToPgEqYEg0

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2021, 09:24:44 AM »
That sounded great!

Offline HOF

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2021, 09:25:03 AM »
Very brief preview, but I will say that is quite a pleasant sound the three of them make together. Excitement level raised.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2021, 09:25:38 AM »
I actually know who these people are now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2021, 09:34:40 AM »
That sounded great!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.