Author Topic: D’Virgilio, Morse, Jennings - "Sophomore" album out Nov 10, 2023  (Read 20390 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Nick D’Virgilio, Neal Morse, Ross Jennings new TRIO band.
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2021, 09:37:00 AM »
I actually know who these people are now.

:lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kram

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2021, 11:16:38 AM »
Sounds awesome!  Will definitely be picking this up.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2021, 04:25:02 PM »
I'll wait for a 'single'.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2021, 05:57:12 PM »
Sounds really good, and I’m definitely interested in hearing more. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2021, 11:00:32 AM »
This sounds right up my alley, their voices harmonise really well.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2021, 11:38:25 AM »
I get that recording things remotely, especially during pandemice/lockdown times, is the way most music is getting done these days, but it still seems strange to me that bands can record entire albums without ever being in the same physical space at any point.  I guess that when I think of a band, part of it includes the members of the band actually playing together.  Just jamming, getting to know each other musically, that sort of thing.  If it's a band that's been together for years already, that part probably isn't as necessary, but Neal specifically stated that he formed this group because he was thinking of three-part vocal harmonies, then they write and record an entire album without hearing how the three-part vocals actually sound.

Blah blah blah... Get off my lawn!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2021, 11:42:41 AM »
I get that recording things remotely, especially during pandemice/lockdown times, is the way most music is getting done these days, but it still seems strange to me that bands can record entire albums without ever being in the same physical space at any point.  I guess that when I think of a band, part of it includes the members of the band actually playing together.  Just jamming, getting to know each other musically, that sort of thing.  If it's a band that's been together for years already, that part probably isn't as necessary, but Neal specifically stated that he formed this group because he was thinking of three-part vocal harmonies, then they write and record an entire album without hearing how the three-part vocals actually sound.

I hear you completely, being a musician myself as well. I recall a video of Caligula's Horse rehearsing a song from their last album (Rise Radiant, which I didn't enjoy at all) and they mentioned that it was the first time they ever played the song together. How in the hell do you write music and record it without ever playing it together to test out how it works? No wonder the album was balls, they had never even played the thing before!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2021, 07:13:48 AM »
From Burning Shed:

Nick D’Virgilio (Big Big Train), Neal Morse (Transatlantic) and Ross Jennings (Haken) combine their immense talents on Troika.

The album began with Neal Morse writing some acoustic songs he thought would be enhanced by strong vocal harmonies. After reuniting with former Spock's Beard bandmate Nick D'Virgilio, the duo specifically sought out Ross Jennings to complete the trio (all of whom contributed material to the project).

Limited CD with bonus track.

1  Everything I Am 5:43 
2  Julia 6:07 
3  You Set My Soul On Fire 3:22 
4  One Time Less 4:53 
5  Another Trip Around The Sun 4:39 
6  A Change Is Gonna Come 4:24 
7  If I Could 4:02 
8  King For A Day 5:47 
9  Second Hand Sons 4:43 
10  My Guardian 3:43 
11  What You Leave Behind 4:16 
12  Julia  Alternative Version 8:19 

Pre-Orders at Radiant begin at 10am EST (in 46 minutes or so).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2021, 08:00:32 AM »

Today, the band is also sharing the album’s first single “Julia”.  You can watch the video by Christian Rios here:
https://youtu.be/Y31eVTnMIxI

Offline faizoff

« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2021, 08:05:47 AM »
I'm watching the live premiere and am really liking it. The harmonies are on point.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2021, 08:09:03 AM »
Ross had this to say about the track:
"With my original demo clocking in at around the 8-minute mark and possibly leaning too close to 'prog epic' than the singer/songwriter vibe we were attempting to present on this record, Neal arranged my lengthy ballad into something more concise, in-keeping with the album’s essence and writing in a powerful new chorus in the process!

“This one was all about the 3-part vocal harmony interplay and ‘pull-at-the-heartstring’ lyrics which deals with themes of regret and forgiveness in the context of a broken father-daughter relationship.”
- Ross Jennings

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2021, 08:13:53 AM »
https://www.nealmorse.com/product/dvirgilio-morse-jennings-troika/

Radiant exclusive: first 100 pre-orders receive a set of three signed polaroids of Nick, Neal, and Ross!

Just placed my order with Radiant! And I just listening to the new sing, VERY good stuff! I love how seamlessly their voices blend together so well!

Edit - so Neal's site doesn't mention the bonus track or the CD being a Limited Edition like at Burning Shed, so I ahead and ordered from BS as well, so I guess I'll have 2 copies of Troika. Maybe if I get the signed polaroids, I'll frame them with the album I get from Radiant.

Edit 2 - apparently I am blind and Radiant's item description states the CD is a Limited edition version with bonus track, right at the top, just not listed in the actual tracklisting like at Burning Shed. Ah well, I guess I'll have 2 copies of Troika, maybe I'll gift one to a friend.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 09:12:28 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2021, 08:26:20 AM »
Never ordering a new release from Radiant again after the shitshow that was I&D, but dig the first single.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline HOF

« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2021, 08:31:34 AM »

Today, the band is also sharing the album’s first single “Julia”.  You can watch the video by Christian Rios here:
https://youtu.be/Y31eVTnMIxI

Oh, this is fantastic in every way. And it's a Ross composition (which I had no idea what to expect from him). I am really excited for this now. So pumped to hear Nick and Neal singing together again, and Ross blends right in. Also, Nick is such a ham!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2021, 08:44:37 AM »
I'm not listening to any singles as always, but reading the positive comments on the new single has me hyped up  :)

Also, HOF, I'd like to know what exactly a ham is  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline HOF

« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2021, 09:06:19 AM »
I'm not listening to any singles as always, but reading the positive comments on the new single has me hyped up  :)

Also, HOF, I'd like to know what exactly a ham is  :lol

It’s an acting term for someone who overacts and ends up being unintentionally comical. Usually it’s applied to people who kind of act dramatic for a laugh. Nick just has a way of expressing himself while singing that is a bit exuberant, but you know it’s said in love!

Offline emtee

« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2021, 09:11:00 AM »
Very enjoyable. Those are A-level harmonies. Quite a beautiful song.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2021, 09:25:45 AM »
Ross had this to say about the track:
"With my original demo clocking in at around the 8-minute mark and possibly leaning too close to 'prog epic' than the singer/songwriter vibe we were attempting to present on this record, Neal arranged my lengthy ballad into something more concise, in-keeping with the album’s essence and writing in a powerful new chorus in the process!

“This one was all about the 3-part vocal harmony interplay and ‘pull-at-the-heartstring’ lyrics which deals with themes of regret and forgiveness in the context of a broken father-daughter relationship.”
- Ross Jennings

I quite liked this, but the chorus was the weakest part imo  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Kram

« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2021, 09:42:57 AM »
I love it - the song sounds awesome.  Love how their voices blend.  And yes, Nick is "hamming it up" a bit with the facial expressions and the tambourine.  I'm assuming it's Nick playing the drums and Neal on piano and keyboards?  For those of you holding off on watching the video, it just shows Neal and Ross playing guitars and Nick with a tambourine in parts - but there's a lot more going on instrumentally than that.

Offline HOF

« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2021, 09:47:09 AM »
I love it - the song sounds awesome.  Love how their voices blend.  And yes, Nick is "hamming it up" a bit with the facial expressions and the tambourine.  I'm assuming it's Nick playing the drums and Neal on piano and keyboards?  For those of you holding off on watching the video, it just shows Neal and Ross playing guitars and Nick with a tambourine in parts - but there's a lot more going on instrumentally than that.

The song strikes a really nice balance between being a stripped down singer/songwriter affair but it still has some nice changes and instrumentation. It's not super proggy, but it's not boring either. Just a really well executed song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2021, 09:58:09 AM »
This reminds me of a prog version of The Thorns.  Mathew Sweet, Pete Droge & Shawn Mullings.  3 part harmonies with all 3 singing leads.  Melodic.  I dig it a lot.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline romdrums

« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2021, 10:00:01 AM »

I hear you completely, being a musician myself as well. I recall a video of Caligula's Horse rehearsing a song from their last album (Rise Radiant, which I didn't enjoy at all) and they mentioned that it was the first time they ever played the song together. How in the hell do you write music and record it without ever playing it together to test out how it works? No wonder the album was balls, they had never even played the thing before!

That album was such a let down after In Contact. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2021, 11:48:05 AM »
I dig the single!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2021, 11:49:42 AM »
Well, that's a first.  After following the group on Spotify, they now have 1 monthly listener.  It's me!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2021, 11:50:55 AM »
Well, that's a first.  After following the group on Spotify, they now have 1 monthly listener.  It's me!

The one, the only!

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2021, 02:57:27 PM »
This started out good enough, but it gets super strong by the end of it! The latter third of the track is killer!

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2021, 07:39:57 PM »
Never ordering a new release from Radiant again after the shitshow that was I&D, but dig the first single.

:tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2021, 10:27:45 PM »
I just listened to the single.  It's nice. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2021, 07:29:42 AM »
Nice song, with some killer harmonies.  I think the part at the end could have been left off, to make it a perfect 4-minute pop song, but those prog guys can never help themselves. :lol  I am sure the whole album will be nice.

Offline HOF

« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2021, 07:45:54 AM »
Help me out, folks. The phrase “ocean winds blow on the land” is also from another song, I’m thinking either another Neal Morse tune or something from Big Big Train, but I can’t place it.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2021, 07:51:40 AM »
Help me out, folks. The phrase “ocean winds blow on the land” is also from another song, I’m thinking either another Neal Morse tune or something from Big Big Train, but I can’t place it.

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Offline HOF

« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2021, 07:54:14 AM »

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Oh, good call! That’s definitely where the phrase comes from but also not what I thought it would be. I wonder if there is another.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2021, 11:29:38 AM »
I think the part at the end could have been left off, to make it a perfect 4-minute pop song, but those prog guys can never help themselves. :lol 

I thought the exact same thing!  :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2021, 11:47:06 AM »
I think the part at the end could have been left off, to make it a perfect 4-minute pop song, but those prog guys can never help themselves. :lol 

Yeah, but the harmony on that section is really killer.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2021, 12:07:22 PM »

What's funnier is that this version of "Julia" is the SHORT version! Ross' original version is over 8 minutes long and is the bonus track on the album.

To he fair, "Julia" is the longest song on the album with others averaging around 4 minutes.

-Marc.