Author Topic: D’Virgilio, Morse, Jennings - "Sophomore" album out Nov 10, 2023  (Read 20477 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Nick D’Virgilio, Neal Morse, Ross Jennings new TRIO band.
« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2023, 09:27:33 AM »
From Neal's Facebook:

D’Virgilio, Morse & Jennings had quite a day yesterday! We only had 6 hours together, and we managed to shoot publicity photos, 2 music videos, and 1 song live in the room - which is actually the first time the 3 of us have sung together in person! Amazing! Thanks to all!

I'm still not super excited by this release/band overall, but will give the new album a try whenever it gets released.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline HOF

« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2023, 09:31:09 AM »
From Neal's Facebook:

D’Virgilio, Morse & Jennings had quite a day yesterday! We only had 6 hours together, and we managed to shoot publicity photos, 2 music videos, and 1 song live in the room - which is actually the first time the 3 of us have sung together in person! Amazing! Thanks to all!

I'm still not super excited by this release/band overall, but will give the new album a try whenever it gets released.

Nice! I guess they had time with Haken in the US to do something. I know Nick is booked solid between Mr. Big and Big Big Train the rest of the year, so glad they could fit this in.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2023, 09:37:25 AM »
Wow, this is great news!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #178 on: June 05, 2023, 09:37:41 AM »
From Neal's Facebook:

Nice! I guess they had time with Haken in the US to do something. I know Nick is booked solid between Mr. Big and Big Big Train the rest of the year, so glad they could fit this in.
The last Haken gig was on Saturday night so looks like Ross either snuck this in before they flew back, or possibly stayed an extra day. Very cool either way, I loved the first album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline HOF

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #180 on: June 18, 2023, 06:41:16 PM »
Cool!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #181 on: July 07, 2023, 06:26:47 PM »
From Neal's June IC Newsletter:

Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah! I just this morning saw the final artwork (or almost-final) and I gotta say, Joel Barrios really did a great job on the artwork on this one and as I mentioned, we shot music videos in Nashville. The guys came in and we went in the studio and filmed a couple songs and they came out really, really good. They're gonna be released I think in September and October. I believe the album is coming out in October but anyway, yeah I'm excited about that.

It's a really cool sounding album and the artwork’s really cool, too. I think you guys are gonna dig it.

Looks like we've got an October release date coming, nothing specific yet though, and not even a title, but they did shoot two music videos together last month! Cannot wait to hear what these guys have cooked up!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #182 on: July 07, 2023, 07:10:16 PM »

Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah! I just this morning saw the final artwork (or almost-final) and I gotta say, Joel Barrios really did a great job on the artwork on this one and as I mentioned, we shot music videos in Nashville. The guys came in and we went in the studio and filmed a couple songs and they came out really, really good. They're gonna be released I think in September and October. I believe the album is coming out in October but anyway, yeah I'm excited about that.

It's a really cool sounding album and the artwork’s really cool, too. I think you guys are gonna dig it.

Looks like we've got an October release date coming, nothing specific yet though, and not even a title, but they did shoot two music videos together last month! Cannot wait to hear what these guys have cooked up!

-Marc.

Nice! Suddenly the end of the year is filling up with releases from DMJ, TFK, and David Longdon.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2023, 07:38:42 AM »
I'll be interested in hearing this album. Funny enough I think Ross and Neal are the worst part of their respective bands (not performance wise but their voices really don't do anything for me) but I really enjoyed the first album.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2023, 09:09:10 AM »
I am looking forward to this album more than the Joseph thing.

Offline Kram

« Reply #185 on: July 09, 2023, 11:32:59 AM »
I'll be interested in hearing this album. Funny enough I think Ross and Neal are the worst part of their respective bands (not performance wise but their voices really don't do anything for me) but I really enjoyed the first album.
IMO Ross has really improved and Fauna is his best vocal performance to date.  Looking forward to this release for sure!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: July 11, 2023, 09:37:06 AM »

-Marc.

Stars above light our path, Only darkness envelops us. Promises we keep, Holding on to each other in fear. Our hearts beat as one, Moments slipping like sand. On the precipice of time, Reaching out for the truth. Eternity awaits, in silence.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: July 19, 2023, 05:13:41 PM »
Summer's heat still clings as a hazy memory, yet leaves begin their painted journey toward the ground, their transformation declaring the passing of time. Our thoughts, once as free as the radiant sun, now retreat into the quiet shadows of introspection. Progress made is progress earned, like a second step on a journey of a thousand. Hope pulses in our veins, a flame kept alive aMidst the uncertainty. Over mountains high and valleys low, we travel, charting our own paths. Our story is not written in the stars, but in the sands of time, each grain a fleeting moment. Resilient we remain, standing tall against the storm. Even in the silence, our echoes ripple through eternity.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 12:50:56 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #188 on: July 19, 2023, 06:24:41 PM »
... k
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #189 on: July 19, 2023, 06:44:54 PM »
Alright my turn

Gucci gang Gucci gang Gucci gang Gucci gang Gucci gang Gucci gang Gucci gang Gucci gang Gucci gang Gucci gang

EDIT: forgot one

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: July 19, 2023, 09:15:59 PM »
I said it two times, I don’t know how you don’t get it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #191 on: July 20, 2023, 02:21:49 AM »
Looks like someone has some insight into the lyrics for the upcoming tracks. Those would be a mouthful to sing, though, not a single rhyme in there.  :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: July 20, 2023, 06:23:45 AM »
Looks like someone has some insight into the lyrics for the upcoming tracks. Those would be a mouthful to sing, though, not a single rhyme in there.  :lol

No, is not about lyrics

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #193 on: July 20, 2023, 07:18:09 AM »

If sung by Jon Anderson, they might sound great!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #194 on: July 20, 2023, 07:51:44 AM »
Summer's heat still clings as a hazy memory, yet leaves begin their painted journey toward the ground, their transformation declaring the passing of time. Our thoughts, once as free as the radiant sun, now retreat into the quiet shadows of introspection. Progress made is progress earned, like a second step on a journey of a thousand. Hope pulses in our veins, a flame kept alive amidst the uncertainty. Over mountains high and valleys low, we travel, charting our own paths. Our story is not written in the stars, but in the sands of time, each grain a fleeting moment. Resilient we remain, standing tall against the storm. Even in the silence, our echoes ripple through eternity.

DM&J, the concept album? :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: July 20, 2023, 12:50:28 PM »
Summer's heat still clings as a hazy memory, yet leaves begin their painted journey toward the ground, their transformation declaring the passing of time. Our thoughts, once as free as the radiant sun, now retreat into the quiet shadows of introspection. Progress made is progress earned, like a second step on a journey of a thousand. Hope pulses in our veins, a flame kept alive aMidst the uncertainty. Over mountains high and valleys low, we travel, charting our own paths. Our story is not written in the stars, but in the sands of time, each grain a fleeting moment. Resilient we remain, standing tall against the storm. Even in the silence, our echoes ripple through eternity.

DM&J, the concept album? :P

It has to do with the album  :omg:

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #196 on: July 20, 2023, 01:17:16 PM »
Oh I see. All the capitalized letters in his post spell SOPHMORE (you’re missing an O  :P)
Is that the title of the next album?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 01:24:31 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2023, 01:40:08 PM »
Oh I see. All the capitalized letters in his post spell SOPHMORE (you’re missing an O  :P)
Is that the title of the next album?

Looks like it's "SOPHMOORE", although it should be "sophomore".

-Marc.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #198 on: July 20, 2023, 02:05:49 PM »
Confirmed: Kevin Moore joining the band.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #199 on: July 20, 2023, 02:09:18 PM »
Confirmed: Kevin Moore joining the band.

That's DOCTOR Kevin Moore!

-Marc.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2023, 07:47:34 AM »
Details about SOPHOMORE

Three titans of progressive rock, Nick D’Virgilio (Big Big Train), Neal Morse (Transatlantic, NMB) & Ross Jennings (Haken, Novena) joined forces in 2021 for their “Troika” album, a record that saw them exploring their love of more acoustic-led music and three-part vocal harmonies. Now the band are extremely pleased to reveal the follow-up, aptly titled “Sophomore”, will be released 10th November 2023.

Fans can pre-save the first single ‘Anywhere The Wind Blows’, out September 8th 2023, and get the chance to submit their favorite song from their own ‘sophomore’ year at school for inclusion on a future playlist. Head HERE to find out how.

The three musicians began trading song ideas in late 2022, before choosing 10 of those to record in January 2023. “I think there was always a plan in the back of everybody’s minds about doing a second one. We just got the conversation started and then started checking out some tunes. There were a lot of songs that were a little less fleshed out than with the first album, but once we got the ball rolling, it kind of went really fast”, says Nick D’Virgilio.

For the three members, this group serves as something different for all of them. Morse explains, “I’ve never been part of a group that was like this one. Most people know I’m a big CSN fan and I love Yes’s three-part harmonies and The Beatles as well. My dad was a choir director, so harmonies are in my blood! DMJ is a special group that is its own unique cup of tea and has such a nice flavor. Great blend. The main thing for me is to be working on good songs; it doesn’t matter to me who writes them or necessarily that much about styles. If the songs are good, then I’m all about it.”

Jennings agrees, “I’m a huge fan of country and folk music, I love the three-part harmony style. As a vocalist known for progressive metal releases, prior to forming the band I could never have predicted that I’d be considered to be part of a group making music like this. It’s still mind-blowing to me since I’d never officially recorded and released any music of this genre to prove that I can do it. Making these records with Nick and Neal has been such a pleasant and rewarding experience. It’s funny how things work out sometimes!”

For the first time since the band formed, the trio got together in person for the making of a few videos for the album (the first of which will premiere on September 8th). It also marked the first time they sang together in person, D’Virgilio explains. “Since we were there, we decided to try a little live performance. We’ve never sang together before in person, but it came together very quickly. It’s a very natural thing and I think bodes well for us getting out there on the road and hopefully doing some live shows.”

Look out for more information in the coming weeks.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #201 on: August 24, 2023, 08:31:35 AM »
Cool. The first album wasn’t the best thing ever - I’d much rather see these guys do some kind of prog supergroup - but I definitely enjoyed it. And I’ll 100% try to see them live. Hopefully we hear soon about dates and locations.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #202 on: August 24, 2023, 09:54:02 AM »
Excellent!  I loved the first album and can't wait for the new release!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #203 on: August 24, 2023, 09:57:40 AM »
Anything with Nick and Neal is always going to excite me. Looking forward to this one.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #204 on: August 26, 2023, 06:46:59 PM »
Tour would be nice.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #205 on: September 08, 2023, 08:04:25 AM »
https://nealmorse.com/product/dvirgilio-morse-jennings-sophomore/?attribute_pa_format=cd

Now available to pre-order at Radiant. Also at Burning Shed.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2023, 08:25:05 AM »
https://nealmorse.com/product/dvirgilio-morse-jennings-sophomore/?attribute_pa_format=cd

-Marc.

Video for "Anywhere The Wind Blows" out now (also can stream on Spotify, Amazon, etc.).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSLKOQ-JPMs

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: September 20, 2023, 02:26:46 PM »
The new album is also available for review

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: D’Virgilio, Morse, Jennings - "Sophomore" album out Nov 10, 2023
« Reply #208 on: September 20, 2023, 02:49:37 PM »

-Marc.

Video for "Anywhere The Wind Blows" out now (also can stream on Spotify, Amazon, etc.).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSLKOQ-JPMs

Thought it was a Toyota commercial until Neal started singing.

Nice song, though.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: D’Virgilio, Morse, Jennings - "Sophomore" album out Nov 10, 2023
« Reply #209 on: October 10, 2023, 02:31:10 PM »
Anyone here wants to co-host an interview with Ross regarding the upcoming album?