Author Topic: D’Virgilio, Morse, Jennings - "Sophomore" album out Nov 10, 2023  (Read 20413 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Nick D’Virgilio, Neal Morse, Ross Jennings new TRIO band.
« Reply #140 on: March 04, 2022, 04:21:51 PM »
Ah got it.  I think of it as a tip of the hat.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2022, 06:28:10 PM »
Album is growing on me quite a bit.  There’s still some songs I’m not crazy about but I definitely like more songs than I don’t like.  King For A Day is is probably a favourite right now and, considering I’m not a Haken fan, Ross is probably my favourite part of the album.  I really enjoy the alternative version of Julia too.  The album version is a better put together song but the alternate version has lots of stuff I like in it and it is different enough that I like listening to both songs.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #142 on: March 05, 2022, 01:33:14 AM »
listening to it now for the first time (yeah I 'm late) I'm on track #3 and yeah this is CSN (sometimes Y) 1000%  I like it a lot so far but I can totally understand someone being put off by how much of "rip off", for lack of a better term, this is.

To be honest, I don't know enough about CSN to really compare. I've heard some of their songs and have a mental image of what they sound like, but it wouldn't bother me if they sang straight covers because I wouldn't know the difference.

HOF, may I recommend their album "CSN" to you? It's not their best known or most successful one, but it's my favorite of theirs. A classic American late 70s blockbuster album (would put it in a row with albums like Rumors, Hotel California or Aja), perfectly produced and performed, with great songs and vocal arrangements. It also lead me to David Crosby's fantastic later output (2014-now) which I also highly recommend.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline HOF

« Reply #143 on: March 05, 2022, 07:59:13 AM »
listening to it now for the first time (yeah I 'm late) I'm on track #3 and yeah this is CSN (sometimes Y) 1000%  I like it a lot so far but I can totally understand someone being put off by how much of "rip off", for lack of a better term, this is.

To be honest, I don't know enough about CSN to really compare. I've heard some of their songs and have a mental image of what they sound like, but it wouldn't bother me if they sang straight covers because I wouldn't know the difference.

HOF, may I recommend their album "CSN" to you? It's not their best known or most successful one, but it's my favorite of theirs. A classic American late 70s blockbuster album (would put it in a row with albums like Rumors, Hotel California or Aja), perfectly produced and performed, with great songs and vocal arrangements. It also lead me to David Crosby's fantastic later output (2014-now) which I also highly recommend.

I’ll have to check it out!

Online Mladen

« Reply #144 on: March 05, 2022, 11:33:05 AM »
I enjoyed the album more than I thought I would. Neal's stuff on it reminds me of Life and times, which is one of my favorite albums of the last five years, while Nick's tracks give me strong Octave vibes. One time less, Second hand sons and If I could are the highlights for me. Their voices do go together very nicely, I am sure they are just as surprised by that.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #145 on: March 05, 2022, 03:05:28 PM »

I second the nomination for the "CSN" album.  To me, that's their final form.  The early albums were great, but as the band matured they tried out some different things yet it all still came together and sounded like CSN.  And their harmonies here are absolutely unrivaled anywhere in rock.  So tight.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2022, 01:02:54 AM »
Blind-bought the album and I love it. I gotta say I definitely prefer the alternative version of Julia over the official version. In fact the alternative version is probably my favorite song on the whole album.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #147 on: May 22, 2022, 07:30:13 PM »
Blind-bought the album and I love it. I gotta say I definitely prefer the alternative version of Julia over the official version. In fact the alternative version is probably my favorite song on the whole album.

Any word on a potential tour?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2022, 07:41:58 PM »

None as of yet, though the three of them finally did meet in person on CTTE and even took a picture together. I think they would like to do some shows together, but Neal's busy with NMB and Transatlantic this summer, NDV is gearing up for BBT this fall, and Ross is busy with Haken. I think they could probably fit some shows in in the winter or early next year, but it's still a ways off. I could see them doing a second album and THEN wanting to do a tour together, but that all depends on what their respective home-bands are doing at the time as well.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2022, 05:16:59 PM »

None as of yet, though the three of them finally did meet in person on CTTE and even took a picture together. I think they would like to do some shows together, but Neal's busy with NMB and Transatlantic this summer, NDV is gearing up for BBT this fall, and Ross is busy with Haken. I think they could probably fit some shows in in the winter or early next year, but it's still a ways off. I could see them doing a second album and THEN wanting to do a tour together, but that all depends on what their respective home-bands are doing at the time as well.

-Marc.

I listened to Nick on Neal's podcast recently and they both said if it were to happen, festivals or a cruise would be the likely scenario. Of course at that point they did  not know how the album would be received. I can say I know how it was received either. I like it, but I have no idea how many others did.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #150 on: June 22, 2022, 06:30:11 PM »
I gave this a few spins last week. Good summer evening record.  I would say about half of it is very good and the other half is pretty solid.  It does seem like most of the best songs are early on, so it is pretty front loaded.  Not something I will listen to often, but will be a nice occasional evening listen.

Offline HOF

« Reply #151 on: June 22, 2022, 06:45:45 PM »

-Marc.

I listened to Nick on Neal's podcast recently and they both said if it were to happen, festivals or a cruise would be the likely scenario. Of course at that point they did  not know how the album would be received. I can say I know how it was received either. I like it, but I have no idea how many others did.

I feel like the comments I’ve seen on social media and here have been pretty overwhelmingly positive, but  not sure if that means there is enough fan interest to support a tour. Would think Neal could get enough of his fans to show up for a run of shows. Maybe if he ever does a Morsefest again they could do something then.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2022, 07:13:54 PM »
I'd love to see them do a small tour together, and they could fill the set out with some of Ross' songs from his recent solo album, and NDV from his last solo album Invisible. And of course, some of Neal's stuff from like Life & Times, and they could put together a solid 2 hour set.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2022, 07:31:56 PM »
I'd love to see them do a small tour together, and they could fill the set out with some of Ross' songs from his recent solo album, and NDV from his last solo album Invisible. And of course, some of Neal's stuff from like Life & Times, and they could put together a solid 2 hour set.

-Marc.

Sounds like a viable option if some time or desire could be carved out for a tour.

Neil's Life's and Times Tour was a very low key but very enjoyable affair.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: September 05, 2022, 05:26:46 AM »
As per NM a follow-up album is in discussion now.

:metal

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: September 05, 2022, 05:27:27 AM »
Great, I really enjoyed Troika.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 06:30:28 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Mladen

« Reply #156 on: September 05, 2022, 08:15:29 AM »
Same here.  :tup

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2022, 09:39:47 AM »
Completely missed this but I'll check out the album tomorrow.

Offline HOF

« Reply #158 on: September 05, 2022, 11:26:58 AM »
Nice! Was just listening to Troika on a drive this past weekend.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: September 06, 2022, 07:51:04 AM »
Just wrapping my first listen and it's good, better than I expected considering I don't really care of any of the invidiuals work. I think with a second album it'd be nice to have a little bit more variety but solid effort.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #160 on: October 01, 2022, 07:33:22 PM »
Nice! Was just listening to Troika on a drive this past weekend.

I popped this in a few weeks back myself. Always an enjoyable low key listen.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #161 on: November 08, 2022, 11:50:16 AM »
According to the latest Neal Morse Inner Circle newsletter, it looks like there's a new DMJ album coming!

NEW DMJ ALBUM
Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes! Nick, Ross and I are discussing making a new record and already sending around demos to each other. I had some thoughts, sketches and complete songs for the trio that I wrote on the bus and during days off on the NMB tour earlier this year. Some of them were pretty good, so I demoed up some of those and sent them to the guys.

Very excited to do that and we're hopefully going to be able to do some shows at some point in our illustrious careers. We'll keep praying about that and I wanted to let you know that that was something to look forward to.

Can't wait to hear what they have cooking!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #162 on: November 08, 2022, 12:19:20 PM »
According to the latest Neal Morse Inner Circle newsletter, it looks like there's a new DMJ album coming!

NEW DMJ ALBUM
Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes! Nick, Ross and I are discussing making a new record and already sending around demos to each other. I had some thoughts, sketches and complete songs for the trio that I wrote on the bus and during days off on the NMB tour earlier this year. Some of them were pretty good, so I demoed up some of those and sent them to the guys.

Very excited to do that and we're hopefully going to be able to do some shows at some point in our illustrious careers. We'll keep praying about that and I wanted to let you know that that was something to look forward to.

-Marc.

Even though I knew what thread this was posted in, I looked at “new DMJ album” for several minutes before I realized it stood for D’Virgilio, Morse, Jennings.  :facepalm:

Definitely excited to see what they come up with for a follow up though!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #163 on: November 08, 2022, 12:25:15 PM »

NEW DMJ ALBUM

-Marc.

Even though I knew what thread this was posted in, I looked at “new DMJ album” for several minutes before I realized it stood for D’Virgilio, Morse, Jennings.  :facepalm:

Yeah, "DMJ" doesn't quite have the same ring as "ELP", does it? :lol

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #164 on: November 08, 2022, 12:27:40 PM »

NEW DMJ ALBUM

-Marc.

-Marc.

All I could think of was TMJ.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #165 on: November 08, 2022, 01:58:31 PM »

Electric Light Potato?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #166 on: November 08, 2022, 02:39:17 PM »

Electric Light Potato?

Electric Light Porkestra - the All Swine ELO Cover Band.

-Marc.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #167 on: November 08, 2022, 03:17:38 PM »
Edible Leaf Products?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2023, 03:05:45 PM »
From Neal's Inner Circle Newsletter:

We are now actively working on each other's music and sending tracks back and forth and this is also a very exciting thing that I'm trying to balance. It's hard when there's so many cool things to work on and you know you need to get them all done.

With all that Neal is working on this year, I don't think this will come out this year, but if it does, I'll be happy!!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2023, 03:38:57 PM »

We are now actively working on each other's music and sending tracks back and forth and this is also a very exciting thing that I'm trying to balance. It's hard when there's so many cool things to work on and you know you need to get them all done.

With all that Neal is working on this year, I don't think this will come out this year, but if it does, I'll be happy!!

-Marc.

Probably best if they take their time anyway. I'm guessing Ross is gonna be pretty with Haken touring, and Nick has BBT commitments from around May onward, so we'll probably just have to be patient.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2023, 05:46:55 PM »

-Marc.

Probably best if they take their time anyway. I'm guessing Ross is gonna be pretty with Haken touring, and Nick has BBT commitments from around May onward, so we'll probably just have to be patient.

Ross is *always* pretty, with or without Haken. ;)

But yeah, I bet the next DMJ album will be slow in the making.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2023, 10:01:10 AM »
Neal's newest Inner Circle newsletter has given an update on the new DMJ album:

There’s a new trio album and Jerry’s going to be mixing that soon, as well. He’s actually in the middle of it. That will be coming out in the fall, so just want to make sure you guys all know the cool stuff that’s in the pipeline.

-Marc.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #172 on: April 10, 2023, 10:30:39 AM »
That's fantastic.  I really enjoyed the first one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #173 on: April 10, 2023, 11:43:10 AM »
That's fantastic.  I really enjoyed the first one.

Yeah, me too.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #174 on: April 13, 2023, 08:14:55 PM »
Sounds great!  Hope they move the ball a bit.