Author Topic: D’Virgilio, Morse, Jennings - "Sophomore" album out Nov 10, 2023  (Read 20409 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Nick D’Virgilio, Neal Morse, Ross Jennings new TRIO band.
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2021, 12:29:59 PM »
Knowing all of that makes this the perfect single to release now.  The harmonies are great and we know they can write a good song, but we also know that they can stretch out sometimes.  It all points towards the album being potentially really good.

Offline majo

« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2021, 04:30:49 PM »
a very pleasant single
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2021, 10:27:03 AM »
They really missed a trick by not calling this band Spockroach King.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2021, 09:42:49 PM »
I get that recording things remotely, especially during pandemice/lockdown times, is the way most music is getting done these days, but it still seems strange to me that bands can record entire albums without ever being in the same physical space at any point.  I guess that when I think of a band, part of it includes the members of the band actually playing together.  Just jamming, getting to know each other musically, that sort of thing.  If it's a band that's been together for years already, that part probably isn't as necessary, but Neal specifically stated that he formed this group because he was thinking of three-part vocal harmonies, then they write and record an entire album without hearing how the three-part vocals actually sound.

Blah blah blah... Get off my lawn!

I think that's part of the music making. But yeah, i can see the front lawn from my window.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2021, 12:11:31 PM »
Guys, if you are hesitant to get this record, make yourself a favor, pre order it now, this thing blows! (Same for the new Big Big Train album)  :hefdaddy

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2021, 12:23:12 PM »
Guys, if you are hesitant to get this record, make yourself a favor, pre order it now, this thing blows! (Same for the new Big Big Train album)  :hefdaddy

I've never heard anyone saying "this things blows" as a compliment.  :rollin It's usually taken as a pejorative remark about something, e.g. "I got the off-brand food item at the grocery store and it tasted horrible - it really blows."

Well, if it IS good, I'm glad you think so! Cannot wait to hear it!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2021, 12:29:27 PM »
Primus sucks! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2021, 12:42:34 PM »

I've never heard anyone saying "this things blows" as a compliment.  :rollin It's usually taken as a pejorative remark about something, e.g. "I got the off-brand food item at the grocery store and it tasted horrible - it really blows."

Well, if it IS good, I'm glad you think so! Cannot wait to hear it!

-Marc.

I apologize, I miss used it as a GOOD thing, I need to keep learning English. Thanks!

But yeah, the album is REALLY good, and Julia is the weaker track of the album IMO

Offline Kram

« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2021, 01:06:30 PM »
Great to hear!  I'll definitely be picking up both.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2022, 04:06:53 AM »
Sounds awesome!  I guess I'm one of the few in the "I like Ross" club.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2022, 07:02:38 AM »
Today, the band are pleased to share the new video from the album’s second single and opening track “Everything I Am”, directed by Christian Rios.
https://youtu.be/I04cDyVbTbM

Neal Morse had this to say about the track:
“A long time ago my parents allowed my brothers and I to go see the “Woodstock” movie in the theater. It was rated R and that was kind of a big deal at the time. I was rather overwhelmed with all the great music in that film and one of the groups that I fell in love with and stayed in love with was Crosby, Stills and Nash. You can definitely hear their influence in this song as the vocal blend that we got I believe almost gets to that level!

“I wrote this song one morning when my wife was having a bad day and it’s about how no matter what happens our lives are fully intertwined no matter what. “

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2022, 10:20:09 AM »
That's a nice song!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2022, 10:34:58 AM »
Very enjoyable single! The more I hear, the more I'm anticipating this album!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2022, 12:06:37 PM »
I really liked the new single.  Looking forward to this album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kram

« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2022, 05:45:47 PM »
Another nice song for sure.  We might have to create a new category for Neal with this lol.  I guess this song is closest to his singer songwriter stuff, but it's a band effort, not a solo record.  The first single had a hint of prog.  I guess we'll have to wait and see how the rest of the album is.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2022, 07:17:07 AM »
Check out Nick D’Virgilio, Neal Morse, and Ross Jennings talk about their collaboration and debut album Troika, out on February 25, 2022.

https://youtu.be/uGh82jhf7-c

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2022, 09:50:39 AM »
Love the two tracks I've heard so far.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2022, 12:24:00 PM »
Check out Nick D’Virgilio, Neal Morse, and Ross Jennings talk about their collaboration and debut album Troika, out on February 25, 2022.

https://youtu.be/uGh82jhf7-c
Nice!  Really looking forward to this album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2022, 07:39:11 AM »
The band have now released the video from the album’s third single “You Set My Soul On Fire”, directed by Christian Rios.
https://youtu.be/NZ5b_xgIZh0

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2022, 07:43:32 PM »
This is my least favourite of the three singles.

Really enjoy the first two but find this a bit cringey to be honest.

Offline HOF

« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2022, 09:30:39 PM »
This is my least favourite of the three singles.

Really enjoy the first two but find this a bit cringey to be honest.

I liked it a lot (love Nick’s voice), but it feels like more of a solo vocal performance than the other tracks do.

Offline HOF

« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2022, 08:28:57 PM »
Got my CD in the mail today from Laser CD. About to give it a first listen.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2022, 05:34:50 AM »
On  music there’s a bonus track for Julia.

Offline HOF

« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2022, 01:20:50 PM »
On  music there’s a bonus track for Julia.

This is on the CD as well. It appears to be Ross’ original arrangement of the song, which is kind of cool to see how they reshaped the album version. There are things I like about Ross’ arrangement, but I do think they improved it in the final version.

I’ve really enjoyed this album, even if there are a few tracks that will probably always be skips. Some of the lyrics are pretty clunky as well, but it’s really just a showcase for their vocal harmonies so it doesn’t really bother me. It sounds phenomenal. I was surprised that Rich Mouser didn’t mix it. Never heard of Jerry Guidroz, but he did an amazing job mixing it. There are a few rockier tunes towards the end which were a nice change of pace. King for a Day is an especially fun rocker with just killer harmonies.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2022, 01:23:44 PM »
As much as I love the first two tracks, I do have to say the lyrics are what possibly brings it down a bit. The third single seemed a bit overly cheesy. But it’s true that their vocal harmonies really steal the show.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 06:49:33 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2022, 02:08:27 PM »
Only really had it on in the background to be totally honest but it has the feel of something I don’t need to own.  I will stream it now and again but not sure I will be buying the cd.

It’s not bad or anything, just not that great either.  When Neal does all these amazing melodic pop moments in his prog songs, I always think he’d be a great pop writer but unfortunately it doesn’t seem to translate that way.  I haven’t got into his non-prog related stuff at all.  This is probably the best of them though.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2022, 03:15:29 PM »
I’ve really enjoyed this album, even if there are a few tracks that will probably always be skips. Some of the lyrics are pretty clunky as well, but it’s really just a showcase for their vocal harmonies so it doesn’t really bother me. It sounds phenomenal. I was surprised that Rich Mouser didn’t mix it. Never heard of Jerry Guidroz, but he did an amazing job mixing it. There are a few rockier tunes towards the end which were a nice change of pace. King for a Day is an especially fun rocker with just killer harmonies.
Agreed with all this. I liked it on first listen but after a few more, I'm loving it more than I thought I would. The vocal arrangements and performance are just lovely.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2022, 11:07:21 AM »
My hot take - I couldn’t make it through the album, but I think that is more that this isn’t what I’m looking for musically, despite the fact that I should love the hell out of this.  I’m sure I’ll come back to it when I am done digesting everything else I have bought in the last month.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2022, 12:55:29 PM »
This album gives me strong Crosby, Stills, and Nash vibes. Mainly in how they utilize their voices to harmonize and how they are calm, acoustic type of songs. I am enjoying it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2022, 03:03:13 PM »
listening to it now for the first time (yeah I 'm late) I'm on track #3 and yeah this is CSN (sometimes Y) 1000%  I like it a lot so far but I can totally understand someone being put off by how much of "rip off", for lack of a better term, this is.

Offline HOF

« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2022, 03:27:19 PM »
listening to it now for the first time (yeah I 'm late) I'm on track #3 and yeah this is CSN (sometimes Y) 1000%  I like it a lot so far but I can totally understand someone being put off by how much of "rip off", for lack of a better term, this is.

To be honest, I don't know enough about CSN to really compare. I've heard some of their songs and have a mental image of what they sound like, but it wouldn't bother me if they sang straight covers because I wouldn't know the difference.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2022, 03:31:07 PM »
I'm up to King For Day now and the songs rock a little harder but still has a lot of that vibe.  To be fair my first impression might be overstating a little bit, after all CSN didn't invent vocal harmonies or anything but still, it sounds very similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGT0P0XJRFM

Offline HOF

« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2022, 03:44:37 PM »
I'm up to King For Day now and the songs rock a little harder but still has a lot of that vibe.  To be fair my first impression might be overstating a little bit, after all CSN didn't invent vocal harmonies or anything but still, it sounds very similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGT0P0XJRFM

Of course, the explicit goal was to make songs that sound like CSN, so it should have been expected.

I do know the song in that video. Probably know more of their music than I realize!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #138 on: March 04, 2022, 04:06:59 PM »

Who's put off?  I haven't seen anyone on the internet say that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #139 on: March 04, 2022, 04:20:07 PM »

Who's put off?  I haven't seen anyone on the internet say that.

didn’t mean to imply there was, it was just an off the cuff first impression.  Overall I liked it a lot!  :tup