Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 270482 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: Anathema
« Reply #2660 on: March 14, 2023, 07:37:40 AM »
It would feel less like a scam if they were more open about the whole process of what's happening and also if Danny hadn't sold off most of his music equipment at the start of the pandemic. That's why I haven't donated myself because there hasn't really been any signs of progress in this, there's whispers of Danny sinking all the money into legal fees and you combine that with him selling all his guitars and it just feels 'off'.

If this was a proper gofundme campaign type situation where you could see different packages and stuff, I would consider chipping in but this current situation feels a bit like "Give us your money and trust me it will go to an album".

Kind of feel the same way. If Lee was active in some sort of band, I would definitely consider donating to her.

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #2661 on: March 17, 2024, 08:19:39 AM »
I was letting Spotify shuffle through my liked songs when suddenly, Anathema starts playing. It's been ages since I listened to them, but hearing tracks from "We're Here Because We're Here" and "Weather Systems" again was like stumbling upon a long-lost treasure. Their music still hits me hard with its mix of melancholy and hopefulness. It's crazy how timeless their sound is. Looks like I'll be diving back into their albums for a while.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2662 on: March 17, 2024, 01:32:35 PM »
it's been forever for me, too. i should revisit Anathema (especially their earlier stuff)
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2663 on: March 17, 2024, 03:38:31 PM »
Funnily enough, I listened to weather systems today after a very long time. I've neglected them since all the shit about them went down.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2664 on: March 17, 2024, 04:11:52 PM »
I rarely listen to them anymore but just a few months ago I gave some albums a go. It’s still good stuff most of it. During ‘that time’ of my life when I was really into them it really meant something. Nowadays it all seems a bit too over the top emotional for me. But then again, when it comes to that sound, nobody really did that better.

I used to see them open up for Porcupine Tree quite often. They were a pretty good live band already around the A Fine Day To Exit / A Natural Disaster and I had listened to some of their music but I never became a fan.

Until years later when they released We’re Here Because We’re Here. I had listened to some tracks and I really liked it. Then I participated in a giveaway for a concert in Eindhoven. Won the tickets, and went to the gig with my brother. To this day we talk about this gig. I can still remember us standing at the front right beside the shaking subwoofer as the pounding outro of A Simple Mistake was taking place. It was as if their lives depended on it, such intensity.

Of course we were over the moon by this and wanted to share this ‘gift’ with others. So we took friends and family to a few subsequent concerts but it never reached that level again. Not at all actually. The Paradiso (Amsterdam) gig was laced with musical errors (I believe one song had to be restarted from the top twice). The gig for Distant Satellites in Utrecht was weird as well. It was as if all this emotional music was played but something was totally off in how it was presented. Danny’s stage presence even was kind of annoying. It was like their super emotional act was all about ‘getting that reaction from the crowd’ instead of them really enjoying it themselves.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .