Author Topic: The MAJESTY 8  (Read 7236 times)

Offline PetFish

Re: The MAJESTY 8
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2021, 09:43:22 PM »
I didn't like that carbon fiber shield thing when these guitar first came out. The body shape is cool but I still don't like that miniature Fender headstock.

Ugh, I absolutely hate the standard EB headstock on JP's Majesty guitars and other EB guitars that have a different-than-traditional body shape.  It looks fine on JP's non-Majesty models and most of the other signature guitars from other players.

But, and this goes for the St. Vincent signature model as well, if you're going to change the design of the body so much then why not do the headstock as well?  I look at the Bongo bass and it has a headstock that matches the body much better than the standard EB headstock does.

I think this is the only fart and missed opportunity of the Majesty series.  You're already going away from traditional with the body so you can push the headstock design as well but also keep the 4/2 pattern so it's still obvious it's an EB guitar.

Offline hipodilski

« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2021, 01:23:40 AM »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with 8 string guitars, especially if one knows how to use them correctly within a band context.

The artist I play with is an avid 8 string guitar user, even has her own fan fret custom guitar, and her arrangements are always flawless and guitars and bass and synths all have their place under the sun.

Here is a video of us opening for DT two years ago, and as you can see, our live band featured not one but two 8 string guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cAA1-ee4_o

That was enjoyable  :tup :metal
Thank you!

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2021, 01:59:10 AM »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with 8 string guitars, especially if one knows how to use them correctly within a band context.

The artist I play with is an avid 8 string guitar user, even has her own fan fret custom guitar, and her arrangements are always flawless and guitars and bass and synths all have their place under the sun.

Here is a video of us opening for DT two years ago, and as you can see, our live band featured not one but two 8 string guitars.

What a great performance. The drummer is pretty good too  :biggrin:

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2021, 06:16:18 AM »

Good golly,, that was super!  Definitely worthy to be on the same bill as DT.    :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2021, 03:09:44 PM »
DT had a support 2 years ago? On the DOT tour? I though it was evening withs since ADTOE?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2021, 03:13:23 PM »
Mangini was adamant that only 16/19 were An Evening with :neverusethis:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2021, 08:04:46 PM »
Mangini was adamant that only 16/19 were An Evening with :neverusethis:

But the shows will be grouped into 2, 3,7, and 4. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 05:23:44 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2021, 10:29:06 PM »
DT had a support 2 years ago? On the DOT tour? I though it was evening withs since ADTOE?

I believe some Europeans tour legs were not evening with formats. For that show they did not play the whole SFAM and just added some extra songs, like Peruvian Skies.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2019/ndk-hall-1-sofia-bulgaria-5391570d.html
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hipodilski

« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2021, 02:16:56 AM »
It was a funny story. The first leg of the tour was supposed to be with normal "evening with" shows, but at some point they announced that the whole leg would be festival dates only. Our local promoter had managed to book DT before this became known, so in order to keep the date he had to basically invent a festival, which he did.

So we were 3 local bands, then Jason Richardson/Luke Holland (who were touring with DT), and then DT a shortened festival setlist.

It was quite a nerve-wrecking experience - everything was late, at some point DT's road manager wanted to cancel all local support, then we persuaded him to keep us, had to shorten our setlists, etc, but ultimately got to play.

Hope you like the video, we worked really hard to prepare for this gig.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 08:45:07 AM by hipodilski »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2021, 11:18:01 AM »
Yeah, that was really, REALLY good.  I wasn't familiar with you guys, but now feel compelled to take a deep dive.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2021, 12:36:39 PM »
??? Why would it make you want to go swimming ?!

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2021, 02:21:07 PM »
From the two clips that are out already it seems to have the exact same problem as other 8 string guitars - playing on the lowest one simply does not sound good. I've tried to be open minded about 8 string guitars for years, but they just sound awfully bad to me every single time. You simply need a proper bass to sound decent down there.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2021, 02:46:59 PM »
It greatly depends on the way it's recorded (phone or proper recording), and the speakers you're listening on. Also, of course what you do with that string makes all the difference. Mindless chugging or tremolo picking isn't going to sound too good indeed. That said, my eight-string sounds great when I play it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2021, 03:45:10 PM »
From the two clips that are out already it seems to have the exact same problem as other 8 string guitars - playing on the lowest one simply does not sound good. I've tried to be open minded about 8 string guitars for years, but they just sound awfully bad to me every single time. You simply need a proper bass to sound decent down there.

Check out Haken's Affinity

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2021, 02:11:29 PM »
All the Les Paul chat has inspired me ( after 10 years ) to see what was under my humbucker covers. Also i took off my scratchplate for a more "Slash" kinda vibe

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2021, 02:29:54 PM »
meh. not enough strings

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2021, 02:31:33 PM »
:getoffmylawn:

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2021, 11:45:36 PM »
They should just do an 8-string guitar where it's 4 pairs of strings like a 12-string, just to make everyone happy.

Actually that would just be a mandolin rip-off, wouldn't it? That would still upset mando snobs :biggrin:

I think the guitar looks pretty good though! I prefer this design over the original Majesty look. Smart choice by JP to go with multi-scale, I know from experience that 8-string guitars can be a bit of a bitch when it comes to optimal string tension.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2021, 04:52:44 AM »
All the Les Paul chat has inspired me ( after 10 years ) to see what was under my humbucker covers. Also i took off my scratchplate for a more "Slash" kinda vibe

Nice!  That's a pretty sweet looking guitar.    :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2021, 05:24:02 AM »
Agreed. Just ignore the troglodyte just above :)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2021, 06:59:44 AM »
Yeah, that's a sweet example of a Les Paul. Everyone's different, of course, but I would take that Les Paul every single time over every single guitar JP has collaborated on with Ernie Ball.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2021, 07:43:06 AM »
I laugh when people hate on Les Pauls for "limited upper range access" and then Tosin Abasi brings out that f-ing ironing board :lolpalm:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2021, 08:20:34 AM »
… with excellent upper fret access.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2021, 08:50:03 AM »
That tobacco type sunburst looks just right for a Les Paul.  It's a very well designed guitar, with the pickup switch and control knobs all out of the way.  :coolio

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2021, 10:46:29 AM »
Les Pauls are beautiful works of art, but I personally think they’re super uncomfortable to play.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2021, 03:16:58 PM »
I think my Telecaster is super comfy but my LP is really comfy imo. Nicer than an SG or a super strat any day.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2021, 03:18:56 PM »
… with excellent upper fret access.

u sure ?

The LP neck joins the body at the 17th fret . That Abasi monstrosity joins the body at fret 12.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2021, 03:20:42 PM »
And the cutaway goes all the way to the 24th fret, so yeah. You can reach the higher notes easily.
Squ

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2021, 03:56:38 PM »
The only guitar that could be more uncomfortable to play than LP might be another Gibson model- Firebird maybe?

Gibson is known for a lot of things...comfortable instruments is not one of them.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2021, 04:04:18 PM »
The only guitar that could be more uncomfortable to play than LP might be another Gibson model- Firebird maybe?

Gibson is known for a lot of things...comfortable instruments is not one of them.

Broken necks, for example :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2021, 05:33:13 PM »
This thread is now about Stratocasters

#StratocasterMasterRace

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2021, 05:33:43 PM »
Gross.

Telecasters on the other hand…..
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2021, 05:37:33 PM »
Gross.

Telecasters on the other hand…..

#SingleCoilMasterRace

Can we agree on that?

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2021, 08:22:19 PM »
The Tele has a similar problem to the LP in that it's just not a comfortable instrument to play...hence the description 'slab' given to both. They both sound absolutely fantastic, but they were some of the first solid bodies made and Leo Fender and Les Paul didn't get everything right the first time around. A few contours to the body and a little weight relief make a world of difference when you are trying to sit down and practice for a few hours or better yet play a show-- and that is why nearly every solid body on the market today has just that. If Leo had gotten everything 100% right with the Tele, then the Strat wouldn't exist.

Putting necks aside, which can always be swapped out with Fenders, my one gripe about the Strat is the placement of that friggen volume knob...absolute killer for me. Either way, I still love playing my Strat (and modern Tele with body cut ;) )

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2021, 11:17:16 PM »
As I said, I LOVE the look of the Majesty guitars. 

It has been a long time since I played, but I was always partial to the look and sound of Les Pauls.  I know they are all over the place in terms of quality.  And they aren't the most comfortable to play, since they weight a ton.  But if you get a good one, they sound fantastic with little effects needed.  A good pair of hands can make a decent Les Paul straight through a Marshall sing. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."