Author Topic: The MAJESTY 8  (Read 7238 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The MAJESTY 8
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2021, 08:31:14 AM »
Not all Les Paul's are beautiful, but a good Les Paul is hard to top.

i've got a 2011 Traditional ( swiss cheese weight relief - no push pull pots or anything like that ) - in Desert Burst and i'm looking forward to when all the nitro has worn off and you

get that nice matte look on it. Plus I have covered humbuckers. I really want zebra humbuckers like the one in the pic.  :heart :coolio

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2021, 12:36:20 PM »
The Les Paul is one of the most successful yet functionally obsolete and impractical designs on the market..but I would not say it's ugly at all. It's a great looking design with a beautiful headstock.

Yes, the sound has been on countless iconic albums, but I think the classic and aesthetically appealing look is another reason it has endured for as long as it has, despite it's relative tuning instability, 9-10lb weight, fragile headstock, blocky design w/ zero comfort contours, terrible (but improving) quality control, butt dive, poor upper fret access, and other outdated features. I've owned one in the past and probably will again in the future for the right price.

The Abasi design, and the Majesty are much more functional but aren't lookers lol. I would own a Majesty right now if it looked a little more pretty but it really is an acquired taste to say the least.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2021, 12:53:04 PM »
the Majesty are much more functional but aren't lookers lol. I would own a Majesty right now if it looked a little more pretty

This is where you lost me. To each their own I guess, but I think the Majesty is one of the nicer looking guitars out there. I would take a Majesty any day over any Fender or Gibson design.

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2021, 12:57:00 PM »
I don't think THAT Majesty is very attractive.

I have 3 of his older Majesty models though and those are beautiful. I think most of them have been, but whatever version that is above has moved a bit too far for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2021, 01:54:04 PM »
That looks so American that it comes with a free BBQ coupon, a USA flag, and a CD of 15 different performances of the US National Anthem  :mehlin

No need to bait a significant portion of the forum who happen to live in the country you are disrespecting.  Knock that off.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2021, 02:02:02 PM »
The Les Paul is one of the most successful yet functionally obsolete and impractical designs on the market..but I would not say it's ugly at all. It's a great looking design with a beautiful headstock.

Yes, the sound has been on countless iconic albums, but I think the classic and aesthetically appealing look is another reason it has endured for as long as it has, despite it's relative tuning instability, 9-10lb weight, fragile headstock, blocky design w/ zero comfort contours, terrible (but improving) quality control, butt dive, poor upper fret access, and other outdated features.

This post pretty much sums most of my thoughts about Les Pauls/Gibsons overall. It is good looking, though.
If you guys don't follow Chibson USA on social media, you're definitely missing out on some GREAT memes :rollin

https://www.facebook.com/chibsonUSA

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2021, 02:37:09 PM »
The only thing I don't like about the Majesty is that upper horn. Otherwise it looks cool, and the ergonomics make it's playability second to none.  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2021, 03:21:30 PM »
I have not played one, but I loved how they looked from the very beginning.  When they debuted on the DT12 tour, I told John after the show that it looked like the sports car of guitars.  His face lit up when I used that expression, and he wholeheartedly agreed that that is what he and EB were going for--something with great looks and great performance.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PetFish

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2021, 04:23:20 PM »
Yeah I really dislike the 8 string Junga Junga Junga GUNG GUNG GUNG !! sound... It never did anything for me and that's largely the only reason people get them.

That's exactly why I don't like 8-string guitar/music and why I'm worried that's all JP is going to end up doing.  It really just diminishes the role of the bass player when the guitar can go that low.  But, I'll be happy to be proven wrong if JP is able to do anything else other than "Junga Junga Junga GUNG GUNG GUNG."

Oh and Tosin Abasi's signature 8 is probably the ugliest guitar i've ever seen :lolpalm:

Agreed.  His guitars are FUGLY AF.

• PR permission
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2021, 05:56:03 PM »
the Majesty are much more functional but aren't lookers lol. I would own a Majesty right now if it looked a little more pretty

This is where you lost me. To each their own I guess, but I think the Majesty is one of the nicer looking guitars out there. I would take a Majesty any day over any Fender or Gibson design.

I agree that is one of the nicer looking Majestys-- the 8 string multi-scale is actually better too. The full quilt top without the shield is nice, and as usual, EBMM makes beautiful finishes for their tops. The body shape's upper horn and butt are the things I just can't get past, and it's a shame because the Majesty has a few things that make it play easier than the JP or BFR series. I have 2 of his prior EBMM guitars with more 'traditional specs' and would like to have the neck-thru, recessed controls and extra thumb cutaway.

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2021, 07:36:59 PM »
Yeah I really dislike the 8 string Junga Junga Junga GUNG GUNG GUNG !! sound... It never did anything for me and that's largely the only reason people get them.

That's exactly why I don't like 8-string guitar/music and why I'm worried that's all JP is going to end up doing.  It really just diminishes the role of the bass player when the guitar can go that low.  But, I'll be happy to be proven wrong if JP is able to do anything else other than "Junga Junga Junga GUNG GUNG GUNG."

Oh and Tosin Abasi's signature 8 is probably the ugliest guitar i've ever seen :lolpalm:

Not really, different timbres, different roles. Pianos and keyboards can go really low, and they have never been a problem. Orchestras have a lot of instruments that overlap in range, but, again, different timbres and different roles.

• PR permission
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2021, 08:01:05 PM »

Not really, different timbres, different roles. Pianos and keyboards can go really low, and they have never been a problem. Orchestras have a lot of instruments that overlap in range, but, again, different timbres and different roles.

Pianos/keyboards are very different instruments...not even in the same family of instrument as guitars and basses. A bass is really just a guitar in a much lower register.

I get the point about getting in the bass players way with an 8 string, though there are a few players who can really pull it off (Tosin) without stepping onto the bass player's feet. Because of that overlap, I think it remains to be seen if the 8 string will be 'here to stay' if you will, like the 7 string, or if it's more of a fad.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2021, 08:30:28 PM »
Myung can also just not double the guitar. Should solve things.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2021, 10:06:34 PM »

Exactly.  Too many notes in the same frequency range can make the music sound muddy.  But if the composition is solid (e.g., as Adami said below, NOT having the bass just double the guitar) and the mix is good, it shouldn't be an issue. 

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2021, 12:55:00 AM »

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2021, 01:57:02 AM »
The only thing I don't like about the Majesty is that upper horn. Otherwise it looks cool, and the ergonomics make it's playability second to none.  :coolio

I didn't like that carbon fiber shield thing when these guitar first came out. The body shape is cool but I still don't like that miniature Fender headstock.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline DT1138

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2021, 02:56:07 AM »
Used to be a Les Paul player for years until I tried Schecter almost 20 years ago and I've been playing them ever since.  Les Paul is a classic, but I got tired of the weight and lack of sustain.

I had the Majesty 7 string in blue a few years ago but got rid of it.  It was built nicely and generally played OK, but I just could not get used to that 7th string to save my life.  It just threw off all of my visualizations of scales on the fret board, and in all honesty, kind of got in the way. 

I can't even imagine playing an 8 string, it would drive me completely nuts.  Call me old fashioned, but it just seems excessive to me to be playing strings tuned that low also.  I thought the 7 string was pushing the limit already.  The cost is also outrageous to me - I got an entire vinyl floor installed in one room of my house for the money I made off the 7 string when I sold it.

Oh and I fully agree on the Tobasi guitar - fugly beyond words.  Not crazy about his music either, but one man's (person's?) trash and all....

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2021, 04:33:50 AM »
I've been playing my PRS custom22 for many years and it is my go to guitar. I also like ESP, but I only have the LTD version but it plays quite nice.
I would love to eventually get a Majesty, but the price is out of my league for the time being. The thing that attracts me the most is that they are light weight and would be easier on my bad back.  Also the neck through design with no heel makes upper access much better.  I like the layout of the control knobs and pick-up switches, nothing is in the way.
I'm also very interested in Kiesel guitars.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2021, 05:08:28 AM »
I love my *strandberg 8-string.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2021, 05:53:39 AM »
I would maybe possibly one day get a 7 string for the odd low tuning.

But 8 ? Nope. 9 and beyond. Not a chance.

I'd prefer a Baritone guitar over a 7 string. You get the same lower register but you don't have to learn a new instrument.

Which reminds me how nice an acoustic guitar sounds tuned B to B

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2021, 06:42:20 AM »
Which reminds me how nice an acoustic guitar sounds tuned B to B

This 100X. A Baritone guitar has such a warm sound.

If I were to have a dream guitar collection, it would be 8.

1 Acoustic (Either Taylor 614 or 814, 324 could work too)
1 Classical (Not very picky for this one)
1 Strat (already have 1989 strat +)
1 6 string majesty (already have one)
1 7 string Majesty (already have one)
1 PRS Custom 24
1 7 string Strandberg
1 Solar Guitar

For the record, when I got the 7 string it did not feel like learning a new instrument at all. It actually felt very comfortable and natural.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2021, 09:34:18 AM »
Love the look of Majesty 8 even though I’ll never get my hands on one :lol Oh well, I’m happy with my Ibanez RG8.

IMO, 8 strings is as low as you can go and still call it a guitar, even if you drop the low string down to an E. Any lower than that, like a 9 string(ew), and you should just play bass. Like others have said, guitar and bass occupy different frequencies in a mix. You’re not gonna mix an electric guitar like a bass.

Also, Stratocaster > Les Paul any day.  Always thought LP’s were clunky and uncomfortable to play, and if what I hear about the quality of modern Gibsons is true, I would never waste my money on one.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2021, 11:42:41 AM »

I like when people use extended range guitars to extend chord voicing or do some nice two part clean stuff like Rob Scallon does. For me, anything beyond a seven string is infringing on my low end territory, so if you’re gonna enter my sonic space, you better do so to do something interesting.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2021, 11:50:27 AM »

I like when people use extended range guitars to extend chord voicing or do some nice two part clean stuff like Rob Scallon does. For me, anything beyond a seven string is infringing on my low end territory, so if you’re gonna enter my sonic space, you better do so to do something interesting.
We have a bass player in the house!   :metal

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2021, 12:13:31 PM »
The difference between a bass and a 9-string guitar is that the bass sounds great.  :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXLNnXJNJO4

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2021, 12:24:53 PM »

We have a bass player in the house!   :metal

Make that 2  :tup :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2021, 01:06:15 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2021, 01:15:20 PM »
Might as well join in.............. :metal :metal :metal

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2021, 01:42:32 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2021, 01:43:40 PM »
Here is to the bassist!

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2021, 02:08:41 PM »
Another thing I should add, my issue with heavy riffs lower than a seven string is that oftentimes in metal, the bass is playing the same thing or something similar to the guitar down an octave. Since the lowest note that the average human ear can hear as a definitive pitch is A0 (the lowest note on a piano and a whole step lower than a standard tuned five string bass), any guitar riff that goes lower than that will make it impossible for a bass to successfully play something complementary underneath it. Extended range guitars make it harder for a bass player to do their job. Seven strings work since they rarely go lower than A meaning the bass can still stay underneath it, but outside of Haken and Animals as Leaders (the latter of which doesn’t even have a bass player to clash with sonically), I have a hard time getting into metal bands who use 8 and/or 9 string guitars regularly.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline hipodilski

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2021, 02:53:42 PM »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with 8 string guitars, especially if one knows how to use them correctly within a band context.

The artist I play with is an avid 8 string guitar user, even has her own fan fret custom guitar, and her arrangements are always flawless and guitars and bass and synths all have their place under the sun.

Here is a video of us opening for DT two years ago, and as you can see, our live band featured not one but two 8 string guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cAA1-ee4_o

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2021, 03:36:41 PM »
The difference between a bass and a 9-string guitar is that the bass sounds great.  :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXLNnXJNJO4

Yeah I tried a 9 string once and you literally couldn't get a good sound out of it.  I do enjoy playing smaller basses. I could never be the bass player in a band

and play like a Fender Precision or something. They're just massive. I'm only little. Gimme a short scale bass and i'm away.

• PR permission
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2021, 05:28:24 PM »
sometimes those low guitar strings can sound like a wet fart

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2021, 05:42:27 PM »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with 8 string guitars, especially if one knows how to use them correctly within a band context.

The artist I play with is an avid 8 string guitar user, even has her own fan fret custom guitar, and her arrangements are always flawless and guitars and bass and synths all have their place under the sun.

Here is a video of us opening for DT two years ago, and as you can see, our live band featured not one but two 8 string guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cAA1-ee4_o

That was enjoyable  :tup :metal