Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 80818 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL (2021-2022) v. Stanley Cup Finals. Avalanche vs Lightning.
« Reply #2100 on: June 24, 2022, 02:44:51 PM »
Sorry, Count.

I think I've posted this before, but I have a friend who thinks the illegal stick penalty on Marty McSorley was somehow the result of some sort of nefarious behavior by the Habs.  To this day, she holds a grudge against not only Montreal but against all Canadian teams and celebrates when the last Canadian team is eliminated from the playoffs.

For me, it was the Blues after the '96 playoffs.  Dumbass Sean O'Donnell and Jamie "The Sieve" Storr!

Well maybe she can get by knowing that if not for Kerry Fraser, they may not have even made it to the Cup Finals that year - Gretz should have been unlacing his skates in Game 6 OT, not scoring the winner against the Leafs.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2101 on: June 24, 2022, 04:17:37 PM »
Sorry, Count.

I think I've posted this before, but I have a friend who thinks the illegal stick penalty on Marty McSorley was somehow the result of some sort of nefarious behavior by the Habs.  To this day, she holds a grudge against not only Montreal but against all Canadian teams and celebrates when the last Canadian team is eliminated from the playoffs.

For me, it was the Blues after the '96 playoffs.  Dumbass Sean O'Donnell and Jamie "The Sieve" Storr!

Well maybe she can get by knowing that if not for Kerry Fraser, they may not have even made it to the Cup Finals that year - Gretz should have been unlacing his skates in Game 6 OT, not scoring the winner against the Leafs.

Call it karma for Gilmour breaking Tomas Sandstrom's arm with a slash earlier that season.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2102 on: June 24, 2022, 07:18:22 PM »
So I would call that first Lightning goal soft, but I'm sure my friends from St. Louis would called that shot perfectly placed with skill and acumen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2103 on: June 24, 2022, 07:31:27 PM »
So I would call that first Lightning goal soft, but I'm sure my friends from St. Louis would called that shot perfectly placed with skill and acumen.

Didn’t see it yet. I’m currently pretending I’m a teenager at a trampoline park and can feel my ankles nearing the snapping point. Was it tipped?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2104 on: June 24, 2022, 07:34:51 PM »

Didn’t see it yet. I’m currently pretending I’m a teenager at a trampoline park and can feel my ankles nearing the snapping point. Was it tipped?

:lol

Um..no.

Through the seven hole. It was awful.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #2105 on: June 24, 2022, 09:04:15 PM »
Evenly played. The difference was a couple of leaky goals by Kuemper.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2106 on: June 24, 2022, 09:13:50 PM »
Hoping the Bolts get a second wind and win the next two. Looks very difficult, the team looks completely gassed but fingers crossed.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2107 on: June 25, 2022, 04:30:14 AM »
That was a good game.  Both of the Avs goals were greasy - the first one was particularly bizarre.  1st and 3rd for the Bolts were the kind that an Elite goalie cannot let in - proving Kuemper is not elite.  Tampa was ripe for the taking last night - they did not play terribly well offensively, but bided their time, and were gifted with a leaky goalie on the other side of the rink.

This could get real interesting if Tampa wins tomorrow, and the Avs come home with the case of the yips.

But holy fuck was that crowd jacked!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2108 on: June 25, 2022, 05:42:16 AM »
I didn't see the game, but was happy to see that the Avs lost, if for no other reason than Avs fans spending all of that money on tickets to see their team win the Cup and then having to go home disappointed.  :tup :tup

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2109 on: June 25, 2022, 07:12:40 AM »
Is it just my imagination or does TB have better stick and puck control than the Avs? It seemed like every time that passed the puck they lost control and turned it over.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2110 on: June 25, 2022, 09:01:41 AM »
That was a good game.  Both of the Avs goals were greasy - the first one was particularly bizarre.  1st and 3rd for the Bolts were the kind that an Elite goalie cannot let in - proving Kuemper is not elite.  Tampa was ripe for the taking last night - they did not play terribly well offensively, but bided their time, and were gifted with a leaky goalie on the other side of the rink.

This could get real interesting if Tampa wins tomorrow, and the Avs come home with the case of the yips.

But holy fuck was that crowd jacked!

Wasn't able to watch the game....but watched one of those extended highlight packages....did look like a good game. I agree with you Chad that 'if' TB wins G6 that G7 will be a doozy. Kuemper has made some saves but it goes without saying he's not on Vasy's level. 4 of the last 5 goals scored on Vasy haven't been 'clean' beats they've been the 'off the skate...off a leg...etc etc' type. My point being he's looked pretty sharp whereas Kuemper has looked as expected. I know those dinky 'luck' goals happen but they've been sustaining Colorado and those are hard to count on and one goalie has been there done that with the pressure.....one hasn't. 

It'll certainly be fun to watch and see....man, it'd be great to see a G7 between these two teams.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2111 on: June 26, 2022, 09:45:31 AM »
All right, ESPN is showing the E60 for the Avs/Red Wings rivalry today.

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1540726514546839553

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2112 on: June 26, 2022, 06:52:34 PM »
Ferraro is already calling TB’s first goal a ‘bad bounce’. I guess if you consider a relentless forecheck on that shift and Makar coughing up the puck in front of the net a ‘bad bounce’ then sure…… :facepalm:

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #2113 on: June 26, 2022, 07:02:42 PM »
Yep that was no bad bounce. Makar coughs it up on a good stick check.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2114 on: June 26, 2022, 07:11:27 PM »
Makar is a great player, but it's clear that most of the hockey media wants to have his babies, so it's no surprise that they'd make an excuse for a turnover that led to a goal (just saw it on Twitter).

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2115 on: June 26, 2022, 07:25:18 PM »
Thankfully, I've been stopping caring about what National TV Broadcasters says about anything since forever.  That's because the team I follow is non-Canadian, on the West Coast (where the majority of the so-called unbias reporters are asleep during Kings games), and the team is like the 5th most well-known in its location.  Sometimes, that's the way I like it, but it can be frustrating.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2116 on: June 26, 2022, 08:48:09 PM »
At 1:15...THAT was icing?? Who's the linesman, Scott Foster??

And then they made up for it! :rollin

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2117 on: June 26, 2022, 08:54:32 PM »
Tampa's reign of terror is over, but is this the start of Colorado's?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2118 on: June 26, 2022, 08:56:26 PM »

They still got to resign a fair amount of guys and can't afford some of these guys due to cap like Kadri.  Sakic will figure something out to find cost-effective guys.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2119 on: June 26, 2022, 09:00:03 PM »

They still got to resign a fair amount of guys and can't afford some of these guys due to cap like Kadri.  Sakic will figure something out to find cost-effective guys.

Or they could try to circumvent the cap like Tampa did last year.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2120 on: June 26, 2022, 09:03:51 PM »

Kadri isn't vital to their ongoing success.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2121 on: June 26, 2022, 09:05:05 PM »
Watching my first Cup presentation since 2012, and it's...freeing.

I have always loved watching the Cup being presented.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2122 on: June 26, 2022, 09:21:37 PM »
Ugh, congrats whatever to the Colorados.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Anguyen92

Re: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.
« Reply #2123 on: June 26, 2022, 09:31:50 PM »
I thought long and hard for what the title is going to be after the cup is presented.  I'm going with this one.  This guy has been a bit of a punching bag for a long time after he got traded by the Kings to get Jeff Carter and win it all in 2012, so it's nice to see him lift the thing (was the 5th guy to lift it after MacKinnon) even if he didn't score any pts in the playoffs.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2124 on: June 26, 2022, 10:39:25 PM »
Ugh, congrats whatever to the Colorados.

Yeah….this. I’m happy for Eric Johnson and a couple of the older players but for the rest of them….blah.

Can’t wait to hear and read all off season ….all next season…..and all next playoffs until they’re eliminated about just how wonderful and perfect Makar, MacKinnon and Landeskogs shit smells.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2125 on: June 27, 2022, 05:52:26 AM »
Glad I didn't watch the game, but the silver lining is that because the ESPN thing came out yesterday on the Red Wings/Avs classic rivalry, Colorado winning it last night probably pissed off a lot of Red Wings fans, so that makes me smile a little.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2126 on: June 27, 2022, 07:37:39 AM »

I really enjoyed this, but I wish they had done more about how the rivalry evolved into highly competitive hockey.  After 98, the Avs eliminated the Wings in the second round in 99 and 2000, and the WCF in 2002 was a classic 7 game series.  That said, it's interesting to see that Claude Lemieux and Darren McCarty became friends, while Draper still holds a grudge.  The Vladimir Konstantinov stuff will always get me misty-eyed.  I would love to be in the alternate universe where he played a full career. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2127 on: June 27, 2022, 09:46:46 AM »
At 1:15...THAT was icing?? Who's the linesman, Scott Foster??

And then they made up for it! :rollin

Who's Scott Foster?

I thought long and hard for what the title is going to be after the cup is presented.  I'm going with this one.  This guy has been a bit of a punching bag for a long time after he got traded by the Kings to get Jeff Carter and win it all in 2012, so it's nice to see him lift the thing (was the 5th guy to lift it after MacKinnon) even if he didn't score any pts in the playoffs.

Ha!  I didn't realize JMFJ was still playing (much less on the Avs).  I liked him well enough when he was on the Kings, but damn, that trade for Carter was the best trade the Kings ever made.  Good for Jack.

I was going to ask this as a trivia question, but I couldn't think of a good way to ask it that wouldn't either be way too vague or give away the answer.  The 2022 Stanley Cup Final was the first time in major North American sports history that two teams with singular name competed for the title.

I really enjoyed this, but I wish they had done more about how the rivalry evolved into highly competitive hockey.  After 98, the Avs eliminated the Wings in the second round in 99 and 2000, and the WCF in 2002 was a classic 7 game series.  That said, it's interesting to see that Claude Lemieux and Darren McCarty became friends, while Draper still holds a grudge.  The Vladimir Konstantinov stuff will always get me misty-eyed.  I would love to be in the alternate universe where he played a full career. 

I didn't see the post until after the 1pm EDT airing.  They aired it again at 1pm PDT, but I didn't realize that until about an hour and 15 minutes into it.  I'll have to see if I can find it on ESPN+ or something because I'd really like to have watched the whole thing.  Are Lemieux and McCarty really friends?  From what I saw, it just looked like they had buried the hatchet and did that Q&A, but again, I didn't see the whole thing.  Draper really came off as a bitter man from what I saw, and yeah, the Konstantinov stuff was hard to watch.  I goodled something about him and saw that there was some sort of recent change in law in Michigan that might jeopardize his ability to receive 24-hour in-home care.  Really hope his former teammates, the NHLPA and the Wings organization step up and make sure he's taken care of.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2128 on: June 27, 2022, 09:50:46 AM »

I was going to ask this as a trivia question, but I couldn't think of a good way to ask it that wouldn't either be way too vague or give away the answer.  The 2022 Stanley Cup Final was the first time in major North American sports history that two teams with singular name competed for the title.

That's quite rare considering there's only a handful of teams with singular names (Avalanche, Lightning, Heat, Jazz)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2129 on: June 27, 2022, 10:28:22 AM »

That's quite rare considering there's only a handful of teams with singular names (Avalanche, Lightning, Heat, Jazz)

True.

Interestingly (maybe), it's happened 10 of 24 times in the WNBA.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2130 on: June 27, 2022, 10:40:35 AM »

Kraken and OKC.  I think there's one more NBA team, but it's escaping me at the moment.  There's a few MLB teams as well (the Sox's)

Congrats to the Avs and their fans.  I'm mostly glad it's over now.  Going this late into the "summer" has been frustrating me - it's hard to enjoy the nice weather evenings, watch anything else, or get workouts in without sacrificing all leisure/relaxing time with mrs.jingle.

Wonder who's gonna get HOF inductions today.

I'm eager to see if Dubas grows a set, and makes a big bet/move in the off-season, or just continue to tinker and try to find 'value' players.  That's all he/Lou have done for 6 years (outside of signing Tavares - which imo is a boat anchor of a contract), and it ain't working.

More thoughts later.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2131 on: June 27, 2022, 11:05:39 AM »
 The television version of E:60 ‘Unrivaled’ will also re-air Monday, June 27, at 8 p.m. on ESPN2 and at 9 p.m. on Thursday, June 30 on ESPN.

This Wings fan is looking forward to the great and painful memories.  The NHL network did a look back at their history of Joe Louis Arena a few months back. 

btw...not upset at all regarding the Avs.  Denver deserves it, and maybe it means Detroit will be there in the not too distant future.  Since my move, only the Ravens-Steelers comes anywhere close to what the rivalry was for me.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2132 on: June 27, 2022, 11:14:27 AM »
I'll be damned if while reading/watching etc etc the fallout from the Cup victory last night that I'm not feeling just a little bit happy for the AV's players. I mean, when you see the joy and accomplishment on these guys faces and the embraces and all of that emotion that comes with it all....winning the single most difficult sports championship to win.....it's tough not to feel a bit happy for them all.

Except Kadri.  :censored that guy and the horse he rode in on. He is and always will be as dirty of a player as there is in the NHL.....it's a shame his name gets to go on the Cup.

95% of my distain for the AV's isn't even their fault. It's the media and the 'experts' and the way they just utterly orgasm and quiver when they talk about them.....it's ridiculous.

MacKinnon is just an incredible talent....Makar has the makings of a superstar but lets see how his career pans out (I hate when players are crowned and deemed 'the greatest' off of one or two good seasons)

It's a testament to the Colorado players that they won a Championship with Kuemper as a goalie. Dude is average at best and typically you need an above average goalie to win these things....but his team played their butts off to where all he had to be was average so it worked out for him. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2133 on: June 27, 2022, 11:22:28 AM »
That was some serious shut-down defense they played in the 3rd.  With 4 mins to go, Tampa only had 2 SOG - a dump in from center, and a Kuch one-timer that Kuemper had read perfectly.  I think that's what I was most impressed with.  Despite being the highest goals/game since the 80s Oilers, they held TB to 1 goal.

I'll say this, I agree with you Gary.  Happy for many of them.  Kadri... less so (but not nearly the kind of disdain you have for him).  MacKinnon, I think he's a douche, and I'm basing it on one comment from one interview.  Before the Oiler series, in a sit-down with SportsNet and asked about going up against McDavid, his answer had to do with the fact it will be great hockey, hopefully generate a lot of interest and revenue so it could drive the escrow down.  He literally fucking said that in a recorded, pre-taped interview.  smdh.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2134 on: June 27, 2022, 11:29:32 AM »
That was some serious shut-down defense they played in the 3rd.  With 4 mins to go, Tampa only had 2 SOG - a dump in from center, and a Kuch one-timer that Kuemper had read perfectly.  I think that's what I was most impressed with.  Despite being the highest goals/game since the 80s Oilers, they held TB to 1 goal.

Yeah....I didn't get to watch in real time....but....I watched an extended highlight clip and for the stakes of the game...being at home...you know TB was trying to bring it and the AV's just flat out denied them. Quite impressive.

I'll say this, I agree with you Gary.  Happy for many of them.  Kadri... less so (but not nearly the kind of disdain you have for him).  MacKinnon, I think he's a douche, and I'm basing it on one comment from one interview.  Before the Oiler series, in a sit-down with SportsNet and asked about going up against McDavid, his answer had to do with the fact it will be great hockey, hopefully generate a lot of interest and revenue so it could drive the escrow down.  He literally fucking said that in a recorded, pre-taped interview.  smdh.

I appreciate MacKinnon's talent....have always got the sense that he loves the adoration whereas other stars shun it....so that comment doesn't surprise me. As far as Kadri goes...I mean yeah, his history plus his 100% intentional run on Binnington will guarantee that I'll never have a nice thing to say about him. He's a POS player....plain and simple. There's really no legit evidence to the contrary. Him not getting suspended in 'this' years playoffs isn't evidence of him turning a corner....it's further evidence he's a POS being that is used as a reason why he's 'changed'...congratulating a guy for finally not being suspended (despite him still knocking yet another player out of the playoffs)