Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 82837 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Happy for McDavid and all but detest the fact that Evander Kane is getting to experience this. Such a POS human being.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Such a POS.

Here's hoping Dallas can take care of the Flames. As fun as a battle of alberta would be, I think the Stars are an easier path to the WCF

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Such a POS.

Here's hoping Dallas can take care of the Flames. As fun as a battle of alberta would be, I think the Stars are an easier path to the WCF

Happy for you and those guys who’ve been fighting for the Oil for years now…..tough to be happy for Kane though.

Online Anguyen92

Such a POS.

McDavid is your god and I know everyone knows that.  His goal that clinched it was the stuff that champions do when they want to win.  The Kings ran out of gas, offensively, in the last two games.  Just couldn't get anything going.  Hopefully, they can be back here next season with Doughty and Arvidsson healthy.  The youth gets better and make good decisions.

All right, offseason time.  Well, they got to extend Mikey Anderson and Kempe and maybe Grundström.  Durzi, in most scenarios, I would say yes, extend the guy, but man they got a huge logjam on RD that I don't know how they can approach it.  Also, get a good veteran LD and as always, the search for a top-six winger that can finish is always the eternal quest.

Also, get a new PP assistant coach.  I just can't believe the entire coaching staff sees this power play do the same things over again that's detrimental to the success and can't make good adjustments.  I feel like the players, even though they aren't great killers, should be better than what we saw there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Happy for McDavid and all but detest the fact that Evander Kane is getting to experience this. Such a POS human being.

This is my take as well. I could only stay awake for two periods last night, but was watching and hoping the Oilers would win, but also thinking, "F Evander Kane, though."  :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
McDavid gets his team through.

Matthews doesn’t.

Although if the Leafs played the Kings and the Oilers played the lightning, neither series would’ve gone seven, and Matthews would’ve been the one standing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Anguyen92

I'm not really quite sure about that.  The two-game series, this season, between Kings/Leafs were split where both games ended in blowouts.  Danault, from what I read, was quite the obstacle in the Leafs/Habs series last year, and he would have done the same thing.  The Kings would have gotten their heads caved in more against the Leafs' PP though.

The Bolts have better everything, so I will concede that they would have gotten through the Oilers in a rather more smooth fashion.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

I’m fully prepared for a letdown tonight. This team has broken my heart too many times for me to expect anything less than disappointment.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm not really quite sure about that.  The two-game series, this season, between Kings/Leafs were split where both games ended in blowouts.  Danault, from what I read, was quite the obstacle in the Leafs/Habs series last year, and he would have done the same thing.  The Kings would have gotten their heads caved in more against the Leafs' PP though.

The Bolts have better everything, so I will concede that they would have gotten through the Oilers in a rather more smooth fashion.

We'll agree to disagree.  The 5-1 Kings win was early in the season, and a blip game in an otherwise strong run of games where (iirc), they won 8 of 9 or something like that.  Plus, 1st half Marner was a shell of 2nd half Marner (he was 95th in the league in scoring on Jan 1).  Add in their trade deadline enhancements, and I think the Leafs walk all over the Kings - Danault or not.  This Leafs team was different mentally than last years.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I don't think the Leafs can afford to stand pat taking the "well, we lost to the defending Stanley Cup champs and would have beaten just about anyone else" attitude.  Consider that the last time the franchise won a playoff series, W. was still in his first term as president of the U.S.  What they have been doing is not working in the postseason.  Time for fresh tactics.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think the Leafs can afford to stand pat taking the "well, we lost to the defending Stanley Cup champs and would have beaten just about anyone else" attitude.  Consider that the last time the franchise won a playoff series, W. was still in his first term as president of the U.S.  What they have been doing is not working in the postseason.  Time for fresh tactics.

It’s not the players….it’s attitude and approach. Listen, they could have just as easily won that game last night and had Vasilevsky played the way he played in the other six games they would have. He showed up like the true best goalie in the world last night and that was the difference. So, the conversation could be completely different this morning had the Leafs won saying ‘this is the perfect group’ or whatever.

Personally I think Matthew’s crapped the bed a bit….especially last night and especially in the final few minutes, he looked scared more than a top tier player ‘wanting’ the puck to do damage. Unlike McDavid who chose to will his team to victory.

All the Leafs need is the right Coach to implement a culture and system. They thought they had it with Babcock but I think he is/was EXTREMLEY over hyped and they’ve struggled since to get a true leader in there to change that culture. I think that’s the move to make…..you need a Sutter or Berube style coach who can tear down what’s been going on and build up a fresh new environment

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

It’s not the players….it’s attitude and approach. Listen, they could have just as easily won that game last night and had Vasilevsky played the way he played in the other six games they would have. He showed up like the true best goalie in the world last night and that was the difference. So, the conversation could be completely different this morning had the Leafs won saying ‘this is the perfect group’ or whatever.

Personally I think Matthew’s crapped the bed a bit….especially last night and especially in the final few minutes, he looked scared more than a top tier player ‘wanting’ the puck to do damage. Unlike McDavid who chose to will his team to victory.

All the Leafs need is the right Coach to implement a culture and system. They thought they had it with Babcock but I think he is/was EXTREMLEY over hyped and they’ve struggled since to get a true leader in there to change that culture. I think that’s the move to make…..you need a Sutter or Berube style coach who can tear down what’s been going on and build up a fresh new environment

Agreed.  While their drought is obviously way shorter, they reminded me of the Cubs last night. The minute they fell behind, the crowd got nervously silent (just like the Cubs crowds did in the playoffs for years once they fell behind) and the players seemed to tighten up knowing the pressure that was on because of the much-talked about drought.  Take that play at the end of the 2nd period.  It wouldn't have counted because the puck was shot right as the clock was hitting :00, but the Leafs shooter had a pretty big open net and hit the side of the net.  There were tons of plays in the 3rd where a pass or a shot was just slightly off, and it just looked like the players were playing scared.   Just like it took a Joe Maddon in baseball to get the Cubs over the hump, it feels like the Leafs need the right coach to get an attitude in the team to where they won't play scared when it matters.  My brother and I had talked about this series a few days ago and I said (before G6), "the Leafs better win Game 6, because if it gets to a Game 7 at home with all of that pressure, you know they will find a way to lose it."  And, bingo.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Leafs played the best they've played this season in ages. The coach isn't the problem. I maintain they'd have easily beaten any other team in the conference.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
The Leafs played the best they've played this season in ages. The coach isn't the problem. I maintain they'd have easily beaten any other team in the conference.

I don’t disagree. The ‘x’ factor may have well just been the experience of TB in big game situations like that.

My only point was that if you’re looking to change the mojo or whatever it is that’s causing the Leafs to come up short in these series and game 7’s then the coach is the simplest way. Especially since the players had such great success together. The right coach could get them over the hump.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I don’t disagree. The ‘x’ factor may have well just been the experience of TB in big game situations like that.

My only point was that if you’re looking to change the mojo or whatever it is that’s causing the Leafs to come up short in these series and game 7’s then the coach is the simplest way. Especially since the players had such great success together. The right coach could get them over the hump.

Yeah, but I think the Lightning was the problem, not the Leafs. Game 7s are games of inches.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Amazing how every "goal or no goal" close call in this series that gets reviewed goes Pittsburgh's way.  That looked to be above the crossbar, yet they call it a goal.  Unreal.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Amazing how every "goal or no goal" close call in this series that gets reviewed goes Pittsburgh's way.  That looked to be above the crossbar, yet they call it a goal.  Unreal.

I haven’t screamed at my television like that in a while. The refs have been the best players on the Penguins for years now.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

It was called a goal on the ice. I think that had more to do with it, rather than who scored it.
Cut the shit.  :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

It was called a goal on the ice. I think that had more to do with it, rather than who scored it.

And it shouldn’t have been.

-MirrorMask

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll fire off my thoughts on the Leafs in a day or so, once the emotion of the same result 6 years straight, 4 straight Game 7s (or a Game 5 in the case of the play-in year), and 10 straight series clinching games wears off.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Personally, I thought the stick looked high. But what a great play, kicking the puck in the air like that!

I feel like whatever they called on the ice was going to stand though.

I'll fire off my thoughts on the Leafs in a day or so, once the emotion of the same result 6 years straight, 4 straight Game 7s (or a Game 5 in the case of the play-in year), and 10 straight series clinching games wears off.

Your poor kids have never seen them win a playoff series.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

No shit involved.  I am about the last person to stick up for a NY team, but the Rangers have gotten the short end of the stick on every goal this series that had to be reviewed. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
A conspiracy obviously.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Overtime. Why did it have to be overtime?

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Pulling for the Rangers.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Pulling for the Rangers.

A Boston fan pulling for New York? What the hell is going on? (I was pulling for the Bruins yesterday FWIW)

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
You want teams that haven't been there to "be" there. Rangers do not upset me like other teams. I hope they advance.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TheCountOfNYC

My heart is racing like never before, but I’m so goddamn happy right now. I love this sport. I love this team.

-MirrorMask

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
My heart is racing like never before, but I’m so goddamn happy right now. I love this sport. I love this team.

The exact opposite of me 24 hours ago.   :lol  :|

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yup but the Rangers are a team I can back

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Rangers win it.  What a thriller.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

The exact opposite of me 24 hours ago.   :lol  :|

I feel for you Toronto fans, especially this year. The Maple Leafs played elite hockey for seven games, but got very unlucky with the playoff seeding and drew the two time defending champs. They would have probably beaten anyone else in the East besides Florida and maybe Carolina.

Yup but the Rangers are a team I can back

This year’s Rangers squad is really fun to watch.

Rangers win it.  What a thriller.

No kidding. I had to sit down for two minutes and do some deep breathing afterwards to calm myself down.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 08:37:56 PM by TheCountOfNYC »

-MirrorMask

Online Anguyen92

Jebus cripes.  This Stars/Flames series has gone to OT for the first time this series.  Jake Oettinger has stopped 50+ shots while the Stars can barely muster over 20 shots on goal.  I feel like everyone at this point seemed to be gassed out from either side.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Jebus cripes.  This Stars/Flames series has gone to OT for the first time this series.  Jake Oettinger has stopped 50+ shots while the Stars can barely muster over 20 shots on goal.  I feel like everyone at this point seemed to be gassed out from either side.

Stars hit the post twice in the third period also. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Stars pull this off

Offline Dittomist

Holy shit, this game is absolutely insane!!!