Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 82943 times)

Offline romdrums

How can any team in the West be more hated than the Blackhawks?  Don't get me wrong, I'm kind of enjoying watching Vegas stumble this season too, but man, the Blackhawks as an organization are just on a different level.

As for the playoffs, outside of a 2nd round Battle of Alberta, I'm rooting for chaos.  If I really had to make a choice, I'd like to see St. Louis or Calgary out of the West, and Carolina or Florida out of the East.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
How can any team in the West be more hated than the Blackhawks?  Don't get me wrong, I'm kind of enjoying watching Vegas stumble this season too, but man, the Blackhawks as an organization are just on a different level.

As for the playoffs, outside of a 2nd round Battle of Alberta, I'm rooting for chaos.  If I really had to make a choice, I'd like to see St. Louis or Calgary out of the West, and Carolina or Florida out of the East.
Hawks were hated when they were on top in the Kings/Hawks era. Vancouver fans especially hated them. These days the Hawks are basically invisible. You only notice them when your team plays them. Personally, they're my second favorite team so I've never hated them. I've been a fan since they drafted Toews, and very much relished the cup wins. Not mention cheering them during the playoffs in packed pubs full of vancouver fans.

Offline romdrums

Hawks were hated when they were on top in the Kings/Hawks era. Vancouver fans especially hated them. These days the Hawks are basically invisible. You only notice them when your team plays them. Personally, they're my second favorite team so I've never hated them. I've been a fan since they drafted Toews, and very much relished the cup wins. Not mention cheering them during the playoffs in packed pubs full of vancouver fans.

I guess I'm speaking more to the franchise's off-ice issues of trying to sweep sexual assault under the rug and then victim blaming, all while showing little to no contrition or remorse.  I used to hate them but respect them.  Now, I hope they slide back into irrelevance and stay there for a good long while.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Anguyen92

Yeah, that franchise is f'ed for a while with everything off-ice that's going on.  They don't even have their 1st round pick this season unless they win the draft lottery.  Although, they can salivate that they have Tampa's first round picks in 2023 and 2024.  Maybe by then things would be better.

Offline pg1067

Assuming it's true (seems to be from an NHL source), this surprises me:

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

I'm surprised that Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Fleury is not on it.  Then again, there were periods where one of the three skaters were injured and Fleury obviously lasted until 2017.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Well, that’s basically 8 full seasons. I’m surprised that some combo of 2 Edm forwards (Gretzky/kurri /Mess) + Fuhr + Lowe never had that. Though, Gretz was traded in ‘88.  The only thing holding that back would’ve been Fuhr”s total games played, since he didn’t join until “81/‘82 (just checked, it was under 400 between’81 and ‘88 - despite a 75 game season in ‘87’88  :omg:)

Kuch + Point (or Stammer) + Hedmen + Vasilevsjy could get up there.

Just heard there are 126 20-goal scorers in the league this year ... most since 1990. Hats a lot of scoring.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

I'm surprised that Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Fleury is not on it.  Then again, there were periods where one of the three skaters were injured and Fleury obviously lasted until 2017.

The careers of those four in Pittsburgh overlapped from 2006-17.  During that time, Malkin played in 706 games, Crosby in 701, Letang in 603, and Fleury in 373, so they're somewhere south of 373.

And, for reference, Rask, Chara, Bergeron and Krejci played a max of 536 in Boston (2006-20); and Crawford, Toews, Kane and Keith played a max of 481 in Chicago (2008-20).

And yeah...the overlap between Fuhr (last to arrive) and Gretzky (first to leave) was only 81-88, which was a max of 560 games even if everyone played every game (Lowe came closest with 541).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Not to be anal, but  ... beginning of ‘81 to end of 88 is 8 seasons ... 640 ish games.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Not to be anal, but  ...

Nah..not you.. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim ... wanted to make sure you saw this one about Bossy (if you hadn’t already). https://youtu.be/IxEufRyB42Y

And the corresponding Bell Centre tribute the Lafleur - https://youtu.be/6UW3JPBkzSE

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Thanks Chad, I appreciate that. Wonderful clip.

I saw the Lafluer one because they were playing the Bruins that night so I was already tuned in. That was quite a presentation, and a 10 minute standing O.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Not to be anal, but .... 10 mins and 10 secs.  :biggrin:

Offline Anguyen92

That was quite a finish to today when it comes to the playoffs positioning.  Stars/Ducks had to resort to an emergency backup goalie for the Ducks in which the Stars won.  Predators started hot with a 4-0 lead in like the 1st 5 minutes against the Coyotes and the Coyotes somehow ended up winning in regulation. 

I thought it was locked in that was going to be Avs/Stars and Flames/Preds.  It's actually Avs/Preds and Flames/Stars.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 11:42:10 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Not to be anal, but .... 10 mins and 10 secs.  :biggrin:

:lol

Offline Dittomist

I am happy that the Buffalo Sabres won in "Ooooooooooooooooooovertime" last night to make it a special final game for their longtime broadcast commentator, Rick Jeanneret. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjINX8Ddosc

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
When the team has the best season in franchise history, almost all of your young starters have 'career-best' years, and you have to face the 2-time defending Cup Champs in round 1.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Bracket Time!

Atlantic
Florida vs Wash
Toronto vs Tampa

Florida vs Toronto

Metro
Carolina vs Boston
NY Rangers vs Pittsburgh

NY Rangers vs Boston

Central
Colorado vs Nashville
Minnesota vs St. Louis

Colorado vs Minnesota

Pacific
Calgary vs Dallas
Edmonton vs Los Angeles

Calgary vs Edmonton

Conference Finals

Toronto vs NY Rangers

Minnesota vs Edmonton

Finals

Toronto vs Minnesota

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I like your optimism, Tim ... misguided as it may be.

Offline jammindude

Well, I don’t want to derail the playoff talk too much, but I just want to quickly reiterate how much fun I had watching the inaugural season of my beloved Kraken!

I was never thinking of a playoff berth, but considering that there are still 16 teams that don’t make the playoffs I was hoping to be in the upper half of those 16 teams. But…there’s always next year. We seemed to be playing a bit closer to 500 over the final third of the season, but still end as the third worst team in the league and just one point away from the Philadelphia Flyers.

“Don’t cry because it’s over…smile because it happened.”

Here’s to better days moving forward!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Glad you enjoyed the season, Ben. Hockey is awesome!!

Hopefully you'll follow the playoffs.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Florida v.s. Minnesota in the final. Otherwise, Tim's bracket looks good. Maybe swap Edmonton and Calgary series.  I also appreciate the optimism,  but I'm not sure we can take the Flames in a 7 game series.  Would be a wild one though.  There would no doubt be convoys of fans traveling between cities

Offline Anguyen92

When the team has the best season in franchise history, almost all of your young starters have 'career-best' years, and you have to face the 2-time defending Cup Champs in round 1.

Well, honestly, the Leafs can't get picky about their 1st round matchup after the last two years where they had favorable matchups.  Sometimes, teams just needs to be put to the challenge of rising to the occasion in unfair situations.  I understand that can be tough, but it can be done.

For me, I'm just like I'm all good vibes and everything.  No one really expected the Kings to make the playoffs and here we are.  The Oilers are the ones with the most pressure and expectations.  Still, I think this is a good matchup.  Their flaws aren't as revealing after the coach change.  It may come down to special teams and goalies.  The Kings/Oilers games, this season, were for the most part played like one-goal games.  I just want this to go at least 6.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Bracket Time!

Atlantic
Florida vs Wash
Toronto vs Tampa

Florida vs Toronto

Metro
Carolina vs Boston
NY Rangers vs Pittsburgh

NY Rangers vs Boston

Central
Colorado vs Nashville
Minnesota vs St. Louis

Colorado vs Minnesota

Pacific
Calgary vs Dallas
Edmonton vs Los Angeles

Calgary vs Edmonton

Conference Finals

Toronto vs NY Rangers

Minnesota vs Edmonton

Finals

Toronto vs Minnesota

I'm not going to predict Tor/Tam at all.  I like the Boston/Carolina matchup going the Bs way, but even with a backup goalie, Carolina is just so damned good.  I'd be stunned if Pitt or Wash win.

In the west, Wild/Blues could go either way.  Avs and Flames should be the right calls.  I'm with Rich on the Flames/Oilers.  Sutter-coached, deep team, and a clear #1 goalie gives the edge to the Flames.

Finals... All depends on if the Leafs win Rd1.  If the do, I can see them getting past Florida and to the Conf or SC finals.  If not, Florida to the Finals.

Still, I'll take the winner of the Central to win the Cup.

Yes, I know I'm being ambiguous af.

Offline pg1067

Not to be anal, but  ... beginning of ‘81 to end of 88 is 8 seasons ... 640 ish games.

1. 1981-82 (Fuhr's first season)
2. 1982-83
3. 1983-84
4. 1984-85
5. 1985-86
6. 1986-87
7. 1987-88 (Gretzky's last season with Edmonton)

Total:  7 seasons.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

1. 1981-82 (Fuhr's first season)
2. 1982-83
3. 1983-84
4. 1984-85
5. 1985-86
6. 1986-87
7. 1987-88 (Gretzky's last season with Edmonton)

Total:  7 seasons.

For some reason, I was thinking '81 = '80/'81.

Carry on....  :lolpalm:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Sucks to see the Blues getting those damn 8:30 start times again. The NHL really sucks sometimes.

This means I won't be able to watch all of Games 1 and 2 (cannot afford to stay up late either night because of work).  Damn.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Complaining and the series hasn't even started yet! :lol

What time do you get up?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Complaining and the series hasn't even started yet! :lol

What time do you get up?

6:30-ish (really, I often wake up between 5 and 6 am and toss and turn until my alarm goes off), but here are the problems:

Game 1 is Monday night, and Tuesday is my first day back to work after a 4-day weekend (I took off tomorrow as well to have a day to relax after the epic Morsefest extravaganza), so I cannot in to work tired on Tuesday as I will have 500+ emails to go over.

Game 2 is Wednesday night, and the account manger whom I back up (who also backs me up) is going on vacation for a week and is off work this Wednesday through the following Wednesday, so I cannot stay up late and be super tired Thursday with having to do my job AND someone else's, especially since I get crappy sleep already.

First world problems, I know.  :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Don't be such a pussy! :lol
My alarm goes off at 3:55 every day.

Can't you bang out some emails tomorrow from home?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
It's likely I will sort through them at some point tomorrow on Outlook at home, but I am one of those "if you want something right, you have to do it yourself" people, so Tuesday morning will, in addition to doing new stuff that day, consist of going over stuff of mine that was done when I was gone to make sure it was done right.  :facepalm: :facepalm:  That is not a reflection of anyone I work with, but more of my mentality.

Offline romdrums

My bracket:

Metro:
Carolina v. Boston
NY Rangers v. Pittsburgh

Atlantic:
Florida v. Washington
Toronto v. Tampa Bay

Central:
Colorado v. Nashville
Minnesota v. St. Louis

Pacific:
Calgary v. Dallas
Edmonton v. Los Angeles

Division Finals

Metro:
NY Rangers v. Boston

Atlantic:
Florida v. Tampa Bay

Central:
Colorado v. St. Louis

Pacific:
Calgary v. Edmonton

Conference Finals:
Calgary v. St. Louis
NY Rangers v. Florida

Stanley Cup:
St. Louis v. Florida

The two series that I think are the toughest to predict are the 2v3 matchups in the Central and the Atlantic.  Toronto looks different this year, but I don't see how they get past Tampa Bay's playoff experience.  I can see Fleury stealing the series for Minnesota, but I don't see how they withstand St. Louis' balanced offense.  Those two series are what I'm really looking forward to in the first round.  I just hope everyone has fun! ;D

Offline TheCountOfNYC

My bracket.

Conference Quarterfinals

FLA vs WSH
TOR vs TB
CAR vs BOS
NYR vs PIT

COL vs NSH
MIN vs STL
CAL vs DAL
EDM vs LA

Conference Semifinals

FLA vs TB
CAR vs NYR

COL vs STL
CAL vs EDM

Conference Finals

FLA vs CAR

COL vs EDM

Stanley Cup Finals

FLA vs EDM
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline pg1067

I'm just going to say that all y'all picking Edmonton suck.

You might be right, but you suck anyway.

LET'S GO KINGS!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
I tried to contemplate and make a bracket but I'm unable to do so with and unbiased mind. Just going to sit back and watch it all unfold.

I do think this STL v MIN series is going to be a doozy......so is that TOR v TB. Just brutal that two of those 4 teams won't be in the second round.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind